ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the Roster

Kind of the same as everyone else here? And I'm not the one effectively saying we need to get rid of a dozen-plus guys on the roster so we can continue recruiting, and yet noone can produce a realistic list naming who those guys should be.
Again, it’s Rhule’s Job to make those decisions. He clearly believes he’s recruiting over some guys OR some of those older players are voluntarily going on NiL walk on deals. Get your panties out of your crack and let it play out.

Did you ask those 9 seniors if they're going to be happy with that? A lot of those guys form the core of the team and we're lucky some of them even decided to come back. You think they're just going to be fine going without a scholarship no questions asked? Especially since 10 of those scholarships went to 5.5 3 stars and a few more to transfers.
I would imagine a competent coach and a representative of 1890 would have had the conversation, separately of course. As I am a Special Education teacher in the greater Houston area, me having that conversation with them would be pointless.

As I wrote in the post you are replying to, the fact that some decided to come back would lead a relatively intelligent person to believe that those conversations had already taken place. The fact that the staff continues to bring in potential transfers would also lead a relatively intelligent person to believe that the staff is not concerned with the scholarship situation. They have until August 2024 to get to 85.

As far as the 10 5.5 3 stars, I have provided you a list of all of the 5.5 3 stars over the past 2 seasons. There are 15 in total, potentially 14 if Evan Taylor is indeed walking on. So I am not sure where you are getting your designated 10 from.

Lastly, the fact that you have no idea, nor do I, who is on scholarship, who is on NIL, who is walking on, who decided to come back for a 5th or 6th year on their own or their parents dime, or who the actual players are who are going to count in the make up of the 85 scholarship football players that will be on the team in August of 2024 makes this conversation pointless. Again, something I wrote in the post you replied to.

Did you ask those 9 seniors if they're going to be happy with that? A lot of those guys form the core of the team and we're lucky some of them even decided to come back. You think they're just going to be fine going without a scholarship no questions asked? Especially since 10 of those scholarships went to 5.5 3 stars and a few more to transfers.
Feelings now?

Please

It’s business, not personal. Feelings have as much to do with it as “fairness”.

Reactions: Huskers123456
I would imagine a competent coach and a representative of 1890 would have had the conversation, separately of course. As I am a Special Education teacher in the greater Houston area, me having that conversation with them would be pointless.

As I wrote in the post you are replying to, the fact that some decided to come back would lead a relatively intelligent person to believe that those conversations had already taken place. The fact that the staff continues to bring in potential transfers would also lead a relatively intelligent person to believe that the staff is not concerned with the scholarship situation. They have until August 2024 to get to 85.

As far as the 10 5.5 3 stars, I have provided you a list of all of the 5.5 3 stars over the past 2 seasons. There are 15 in total, potentially 14 if Evan Taylor is indeed walking on. So I am not sure where you are getting your designated 10 from.

Lastly, the fact that you have no idea, nor do I, who is on scholarship, who is on NIL, who is walking on, who decided to come back for a 5th or 6th year on their own or their parents dime, or who the actual players are who are going to count in the make up of the 85 scholarship football players that will be on the team in August of 2024 makes this conversation pointless. Again, something I wrote in the post you replied to.
I'm not the one effectively arguing we need to replace a dozen-plus guys on the roster in order to continue to recruit. If you have a problem with that, take that up with the OP. Besides the guys we're already in on, I think we're about done recruiting for 2024.

I'm not the one effectively arguing we need to replace a dozen-plus guys on the roster in order to continue to recruit. If you have a problem with that, take that up with the OP. Besides the guys we're already in on, I think we're about done recruiting for 2024.
I am not arguing the players need to be replaced. They just need to find other ways to pay for their fall semester of schooling. I hope everyone of them comes back and is on the roster.

85 scholarships.
The new norm is likely always signing bigger classes (no more limits) to develop.
Approx. 25 new signees per year = 60 scholarships left, which is close to a 3 deep for every position on the field, knowing things like you don’t really need an 8 deep of CBs including new frosh.

All this translates to is every spring, there are tryouts for roster spots. Couple guys get a pass for injury, 25 get that first year to develop, and a few guys might leave that you’d rather not.

But all on all, spring tryouts are the best case scenario to have real competition for roster spots. By year two, you generally need to be on the three deep.

Rahmir: not good enough to start in 5 years and injury prone

Gabe: looks good and injury prone
i could never decide if it was below average line play or below average rb play or below ave. coaching/recruitung/developement? some sort of combo probably but what percentage of each?

i could never decide if it was below average line play or below average rb play or below ave. coaching/recruitung/developement? some sort of combo probably but what percentage of each?
Looking at 2016, the trio of Newby, Tommy and Zig combined for about 1800 yards rushing. The starting Oline was Nick Gates, Sam Hahn, Dyland Utter Tanner Farmer and David Knevel/Cole Conrad. At times there were three walkons/former walkons on the Oline. I think that line is at least comparable in talent to the current one. None of the backs on the current roster are of the caliber of Newby and Zig.

Reactions: huntered
It wasn't talked about publicly. Koch, Taylor and yes, the Vegas kid as well. So three, maybe four-- but I would like to hear it from a second source before I give out a name. In any event, it will be interesting to see what happens if these high priority walkons make it. Will they get a scholarship or just get more NIL, or both?
Just FYI I got confirmation that Taylor is indeed on scholarship. He took an official visit over the summer and signed a letter of intent.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme because the numbers will get where they need to get to but I wanted to pass on what I found out.

Reactions: Hoboken Joe

In all my years as a Husker fan, I have spent exactly 0 seconds worrying about scholarship totals. Its the coaches job to know how to get to the required number, and this likely the only time they don't need my input. LOL

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Just FYI I got confirmation that Taylor is indeed on scholarship. He took an official visit over the summer and signed a letter of intent.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme because the numbers will get where they need to get to but I wanted to pass on what I found out.
Fair enough. Maybe my source was wrong. Awfully nice to let the kid sit out next fall on a full ride. Kinda like the WR Bell albeit for a different reason.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT