ADVERTISEMENT

Riley didn't come here to win

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I know when he was first hired he was asked why did you decide to make the move now. His response was something like I wanted to give it one last try. While that might be true to a small extent I doubt that was his deciding factor. Scenario for you:

You are a 62 year old coach who has lived in Corvalis most of your life, coached there most of it too. You have turned down multiple job offers throughout your younger years and wanted to stay put in your home area.
You have show mediocre coaching no matter where you have been. You had planned to retire and finish coaching in Corvalis. The locals were starting to get tired of losing and pressure was starting to become great, you weren't sure if you would make it to retiring.

Then out of the blue Nebraska calls, "Hey Mike you want to come to Nebraska we will give you 2.7 million to coach for us. Yeah we know your record and history we don't care." So now you have an option to make triple what you were making, leave from a place that wanted you gone anyways and go to a place that is use to being mediocre. If/ when you fail you will get fired and can retire anyways you will never coach again and won't need to because you just banked 2.7 mill. You then can move back to you beloved Corvalis and retire in peace, thank Nebraska for the money and never give them a second thought.

As far as I know he has not bought a house here yet, that doesn't give much confidence that he plans to be here long or wants to! Now I know he is still a coach and no coach wants to lose, but I don't see him having the pride her and drive to win as he did there.

1. He has bought a house, and the reason for the delay is related to his wife's allergies.
2. If you think that MR took this job for the money, you have not followed his history. He wants to win more than any of the posters on this board.

The OP has expressed his opinions which is what this board is for. No need to call him names or act like he just murdered your dog. That said, the OP is completely wrong. :)

I think he came here to win and for the money. Seems like that would make the most sense

I would be disappointed if this was 100% correct. Nothing wrong with wanting to make some scratch and win something, which he was never going to do at State. I got zero problem with it.

MR doesn't care about winning.
MR is looking for his nest egg.
Nebraska doesn't care about winning.
Hires loser of a coach just to stick it the "world's greatest fans".

fpalm_zpsi65hmzij.gif

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
The OP has expressed his opinions which is what this board is for. No need to call him names or act like he just murdered your dog. That said, the OP is completely wrong. :)
Haha, I knew the immature on this board would come out in full force. It doesn't bother me, but thank you for a mature response. I have no problem people not agreeing with me as long as they are respectful. This board as become a bashing center for anyone that disagrees with anyone else.
If was the same way with BO supporters. Anyone talked negative about Bo initially the claws came out from the supporters. Then when he sucked the claws came out against anyone that supported him. Now if anyone says anything negative the claws come out from the supports and will be the same way when Riley fails to success up to everyone's expectations. HuskerTim probably being the most immature of them all and is probably the oldest here. Just find it funny. lol Thanks again for the reply pennyshusker.

Haha, I knew the immature on this board would come out in full force. It doesn't bother me, but thank you for a mature response. I have no problem people not agreeing with me as long as they are respectful. This board as become a bashing center for anyone that disagrees with anyone else.
If was the same way with BO supporters. Anyone talked negative about Bo initially the claws came out from the supporters. Then when he sucked the claws came out against anyone that supported him. Now if anyone says anything negative the claws come out from the supports and will be the same way when Riley fails to success up to everyone's expectations. HuskerTim probably being the most immature of them all and is probably the oldest here. Just find it funny. lol Thanks again for the reply pennyshusker.

You are welcome. However... I like HTO, despite (or because of) his style. It isn't my approach but it is entertaining. I do, however, agree with you that people do get too personal on here when someone expresses a view that is unpopular or people think is nuts. Ha.

You are welcome. However... I like HTO, despite (or because of) his style. It isn't my approach but it is entertaining. I do, however, agree with you that people do get too personal on here when someone expresses a view that is unpopular or people think is nuts. Ha.
I do not disagree that my views are a little nuts. lol Just an opinion nothing more nothing less. I have no problem with MR as a person or a coach for that matter. Don't blame him for cashing in when possible either. Just based on his history everywhere he has been and his history the last 5 games don't see him excelling here. I could be right I could be wrong. We will see

I do not disagree that my views are a little nuts. lol Just an opinion nothing more nothing less. I have no problem with MR as a person or a coach for that matter. Don't blame him for cashing in when possible either. Just based on his history everywhere he has been and his history the last 5 games don't see him excelling here. I could be right I could be wrong. We will see

I was an advocate for firing Pelini. And I stand by that decision. But I was not thrilled with the Riley hire. Still, I hoped I was wrong. But five games in I am not impressed. However, we have no idea just what toxins remain in the team from the Pelini regime. So we need to give Riley a chance and be patient.

I was an advocate for firing Pelini. And I stand by that decision. But I was not thrilled with the Riley hire. Still, I hoped I was wrong. But five games in I am not impressed. However, we have no idea just what toxins remain in the team from the Pelini regime. So we need to give Riley a chance and be patient.
That is my little hope left as well, that once those players and that mindset get out of here he might be able to turn things around.

That is my little hope left as well, that once those players and that mindset get out of here he might be able to turn things around.
Was listening to Big Red Cob cast. He said that many of the players attitudes is the direct result of the participation trophy generation. lol That makes sense.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Was listening to Big Red Cob cast. He said that many of the players attitudes is the direct result of the participation trophy generation. lol That makes sense.

Hiring a new coach is not easy. It is more art than science. Even the great Tom Osborne was lousy at picking a head football coach (Solich, Pelini). And Texas went with the popular and up-and-coming coach Charlie Strong. Ha. We see how that dumpster fire is working out. So for every Nick Saban there are ten Charlie Strong's. So I am in no rush to get rid of Riley. That said... I think he has a shorter time frame than previous coaches. Especially if he goes 4-7 or 3-8.

OK, regardless of your premise, which I believe is wrong, it bothers me more to have to read that mess of a post from a spelling, typo, and punctuation perspective. Seriously, "anyways??" WhoTF types out the nonword 'anyways' twice and doesn't think to him or herself "Ya know, I am making myself sound like the highest order of redneck here." C'mon man, think about the reader when constructing a post.

Hiring a new coach is not easy. It is more art than science. Even the great Tom Osborne was lousy at picking a head football coach (Solich, Pelini). And Texas went with the popular and up-and-coming coach Charlie Strong. Ha. We see how that dumpster fire is working out. So for every Nick Saban there are ten Charlie Strong's. So I am in no rush to get rid of Riley. That said... I think he has a shorter time frame than previous coaches. Especially if he goes 4-7 or 3-8.
Yeah he won't get 3-5 years like Bo. I think if he doesn't win another game there is real potential he get fired this year. Otherwise next year better produce at min a winning record or he will probably be gone as well.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yeah he won't get 3-5 years like Bo. I think if he doesn't win another game there is real potential he get fired this year. Otherwise next year better produce at min a winning record or he will probably be gone as well.

Firing a highly respected veteran HC after a year or two is a fantastic way to ensure nobody takes the Nebraska job seriously ever again.

OK, regardless of your premise, which I believe is wrong, it bothers me more to have to read that mess of a post from a spelling, typo, and punctuation perspective. Seriously, "anyways??" WhoTF types out the nonword 'anyways' twice and doesn't think to him or herself "Ya know, I am making myself sound like the highest order of redneck here." C'mon man, think about the reader when constructing a post.
Becaws I relly don't car wat yu or aneon else thinkes of mi spellin. I hav nothin to prov to ewe, but thans four ponting it owt! :)

Reactions: raidermv
Firing a highly respected veteran HC after a year or two is a fantastic way to ensure nobody takes the Nebraska job seriously ever again.
Dude have you not been watching Nebraska football for the last 2 decades? Nobody in the county takes Nebraska football seriously except Nebraska fans and that is depleted. Getting rid of a losing record coach year 2 won't hurt.

Reactions: runningback43
Dude have you not been watching Nebraska football for the last 2 decades? Nobody in the county takes Nebraska football seriously except Nebraska fans and that is depleted. Getting rid of a losing record coach year 2 won't hurt.

It pains me to say this but I agree. I think the only ones who give two sh$%s about Nebraska are our fans. I think most of the national media just wishes we would go all of the way away and quit thinking we are relevant. It's sad to watch gameday and barely get mentioned unless it is something bad that has happened or someone picking against us. We have fallen pretty damn far and something that was once embarrassment has now become the status quo. Outside of our fan base wanting us to have some relevancy we have none. It's going to be a battle to be respectable again.

No it doesn't. It gets rid of an underperforming coach who is dragging the program down. It also lets the coaching world know that Nebraska is looking for GREAT coaches, and if you are a great coach and want to get rich ($$$)... then this is the place for you.

Keeping underperforming coaches, lets the whole world know we don't care about winning and great coaching... and may in affect attract coaches who are more interested in money than winning.

I am 100% behind our head coach and I hope he can get us where we want to be. But with that said... our coaching hiring process is a disaster.

Yeah, it said nothing about 2 houses? Where is his second house.
Unless your speaking of his house still in Oregon? Which brings up another point, why still hold onto it if you committed 100% here. Yes I know he has kids there. You can't tell me you don't think he will be back in Oregon withing 5 years one way or another

You're wrong. No coach in their right mind would take the job knowing that a below average season (or two) could very well get them the axe. A coach wants to know they are going to have time to bring in their own sets of recruiting classes, establish them, and see how things go in years four and five.

Becaws I relly don't car wat yu or aneon else thinkes of mi spellin. I hav nothin to prov to ewe, but thans four ponting it owt! :)

As if you really needed to tell me that you don't care about how you present yourself. That's quite evident.

Reactions: 94husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT