ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is stupid. Only a dumbass would bag on what Riley and his staff accomplished last year after being hired. They locked up a number of outstanding players that had lots of other P5 options in an extremely short period of time. A number were at critical positions for future depth, e.g., DL and CB. Then his crew went out and locked up some very good remaining talent, for positions of extreme need e.g., LB, in a short period of time. If you honestly think what Gary Andersen did was more impressive I don't know how to help you. All this while beginning to evaluate a number of legit prospects for 2016 that we got in on early. POB heading to a P12 school? Nope.

Illinois is a P5 option
So is Kansas, Purdue, Rutgers, Colorado, Arizona etc. This means NOTHING.

Your argument has some holes in it considering in your numbers you failed to include the Mike Riley OSU commits that Andersen failed to lock up.

The argument you are contriving for me has holes in it. My argument is in the first post. i.e. Here's commits attributed to Riley with average star rating, here is the average star rating of the class signed by Andersen. Here's the commits attributed to Pelini with average star rating, here is the average star rating of the class signed by Riley. If you choose to look at the commits pages for both schools, feel free to correct my errors (if any).

Here is the original post to which I replied:

But surely Anderson had relationships already established with other prospective players? Last year wasn't his first as a head coach right? Why wasn't he able to lure them to Corvallis? Hmmm.....

If you choose to argue from a different standpoint than mine, that is your choice. I did not add or subtract players from those signed at the time rankings were "published".

What specifically do you not like about the class? It's clear that we are going to go far up in the rankings simply based on numbers.
Our current ranking is troubling. Our ranking will likely go up, but only because of a large recruiting class. The numbers of other schools ahead and behind of us will go up too. Face it. You have no idea where we're going to be ranked when the cycle is done, and more than likely this SECOND class of Mike Riley's will be worse than any class assembled by the lackey Bo Pelini.

In before the experts here post a picture of a smiley face laughing because they have no response/retort.

It's not my job to help you follow the thread. It's prettty clear.
I guess my point was that I didn't see too many truths twisted, but truths argued from different perspectives...

Since you can't point out twisted truths I call BS.

Our current ranking is troubling. Our ranking will likely go up, but only because of a large recruiting class. The numbers of other schools ahead and behind of us will go up too. Face it. You have no idea where we're going to be ranked when the cycle is done, and more than likely this SECOND class of Mike Riley's will be worse than any Bo Pelini ever assembled.

In before the experts here post a picture of a smiley face laughing because they have no response/retort.
What? No they won't because many of the schools ahead of us already have their recruiting classes full so their number CAN'T go up.

We've come to find out that Bo's best class was in 2011. It fell apart and was mostly crap.

Reactions: 94husker
Our current ranking is troubling. Our ranking will likely go up, but only because of a large recruiting class. The numbers of other schools ahead and behind of us will go up too. Face it. You have no idea where we're going to be ranked when the cycle is done, and more than likely this SECOND class of Mike Riley's will be worse than any class assembled by the lackey Bo Pelini.

Those who are predicting a good class are not making this up on their own but quoting the experts who track this for a living. Do you not understand this? Analysts are predicting this. Now it doesn't make it a fact but it does lend credibility.

I'll post a smiley face for you but not because of a lack of response... Not a good post by you pantalones... Laughing

Reactions: 94husker
I guess my point was that I didn't see too many truths twisted, but truths argued from different perspectives...

Since you can't point out twisted truths I call BS.

People are twisting truths when they pretend they are comfortable with Nebraska's current recruiting class ranking doesn't trouble them or you. I could list a dossier of garbage people used to justify the firing of Riley's predecessor. The most relevant item at this point in time is the fact that it is supposedly and virtually impossible to recruit to Oregon State. Yet, they keep pulling away from Nebraska in class ranks. How do you justify that? Because "we're in on some big guys?"

Reactions: jeans15
What? No they won't because many of the schools ahead of us already have their recruiting classes full so their number CAN'T go up.

We've come to find out that Bo's best class was in 2011. It fell apart and was mostly crap.
Just watch. Nebraska is not going to make the miraculous leap you are expecting.

Those who are predicting a good class are not making this up on their own but quoting the experts who track this for a living. Do you not understand this? Analysts are predicting this. Now it doesn't make it a fact but it does lend credibility.

I'll post a smiley face for you but not because of a lack of response... Not a good post by you pantalones... Laughing
Will you promise to post a laughing emoticon when Nebraska finishes around #35, Mr. "I'm 35 years old but I'm still cool because I use emoticons and hastags?"

People are twisting truths when they pretend they are comfortable with Nebraska's current recruiting class ranking doesn't trouble them or you. I could list a dossier of garbage people used to justify the firing of Riley's predecessor. The most relevant item at this point in time is the fact that it is supposedly and virtually impossible to recruit to Oregon State. Yet, they keep pulling away from Nebraska in class ranks. How do you justify that? Because "we're in on some big guys?"
As hard as it may be to believe, yes, we are in on some big names, which helps. Speaking personally, I have been encouraged by those who know their stuff way better than I do. Maybe I shouldn't trust them that much right now. At the same time, it seems like you must be trusting them, if you believe we will be somewhere in the mid 20s come February. So if you truly believe that that's where we will end up, then why are you being so antagonistic?

Will you promise to post a laughing emoticon when Nebraska finishes around #35, Mr. "I'm 35 years old but I'm still cool because I use emoticons and hastags?"
I used an emoticon for you, and you call me out for it. That's rich.

In the meantime, you have it all figured out I guess. What are your credentials? You obviously know more then and all of the analysts who have us somewhere between 15 on the high end and 28 on the low end. So that I won't get made fun of for using an emoticon again, I'll just let this one go.

Speaking personally, I have been encouraged by those who know their stuff way better than I do. Maybe I shouldn't trust them that much right now.
Bingo. I have followed this board for years, and I assure you there is not a single poster here that has any information that is not freely available on twitter, facebook, etc., if you know where to look for said information. There is a handful of posters on this board that have credibility, but none of them have any idea where Nebraska is going to end up.

I look at trends. And the TREND shows that it is incredibly hard to move to a top 25 recruiting class when you're ranked #44 in December, especially if a team has THE SAME recruiters and coaches from the previous year.

Best I can recommend for you is to temper your expectations, become reasonable, and when Nebraska finishes ranked around 35-40, don't come back here telling everyone how Riley and staff are great recruiters.

Reactions: The Tooth Fairy
Bingo. I have followed this board for years, and I assure you there is not a single poster here that has any information that is not freely available on twitter, facebook, etc., if you know where to look for said information. There is a handful of posters on this board that have credibility, but none of them have any idea where Nebraska is going to end up.

I look at trends. And the TREND shows that it is incredibly hard to move to a top 25 recruiting class when you're ranked #44 in December, especially if a team has THE SAME recruiters and coaches from the previous year.

Best I can recommend for you is to temper your expectations, become reasonable, and when Nebraska finishes ranked around 35-40, don't come back here telling everyone how Riley and staff are great recruiters.
If we finished between 35 and 40 I will be disappointed and will probably use a frownie face. At the same time, the experts I'm referring to aren't site experts, but recruiting analysts such as Jeremy Crabtree and the like. I am only going on what has been quoted on these boards, but what has been quoted are several recruiting analysts feel like we will do better than 35-40.

February can't get here soon enough...

If we finished between 35 and 40 I will be disappointed and will probably use a frownie face. At the same time, the experts I'm referring to aren't site experts, but recruiting analysts such as Jeremy Crabtree and the like. I am only going on what has been quoted on these boards, but what has been quoted are several recruiting analysts feel like we will do better than 35-40.

February can't get here soon enough...
We aren't going to finish around 40. That's crazy talk. I am guessing the over/under number is probably 24.

There are a couple of things that Rivals can't predict all that well. Every good team in college needs a couple of flat out studs. Last year we won nine games (and it could have been 10-11) because we had a couple great players on the team. Gregory was a top JUCO a couple years back (but JUCOs don't get bonus points and so he was just a good 4 star) and Abdullah was just a three star. Just based on Rivals recruiting points those two were OK even though in the end they were special. Only time will tell if a couple of our guys rise to be that special player.

We aren't going to finish around 40. That's crazy talk. I am guessing the over/under number is probably 24.

There are a couple of things that Rivals can't predict all that well. Every good team in college needs a couple of flat out studs. Last year we won nine games (and it could have been 10-11) because we had a couple great players on the team. Gregory was a top JUCO a couple years back (but JUCOs don't get bonus points and so he was just a good 4 star) and Abdullah was just a three star. Just based on Rivals recruiting points those two were OK even though in the end they were special. Only time will tell if a couple of our guys rise to be that special player.

You & I don't agree very often TT but on this one we see pretty much eye to eye. Personally I think we'll finish in the top 20.

The argument you are contriving for me has holes in it. My argument is in the first post. i.e. Here's commits attributed to Riley with average star rating, here is the average star rating of the class signed by Andersen. Here's the commits attributed to Pelini with average star rating, here is the average star rating of the class signed by Riley. If you choose to look at the commits pages for both schools, feel free to correct my errors (if any).

Here is the original post to which I replied:

If you choose to argue from a different standpoint than mine, that is your choice. I did not add or subtract players from those signed at the time rankings were "published".
You stated it was alarming a new coach could come in and IMPROVE the classes star rating in just a few months. Of course, that is false..as I pointed out since you did not include other Riley commits before he left for Nebraska. I get that the other number fits your agenda better but Riley shouldn't be looked down upon because Andersen was not able to lock up other Riley commits. On the flip side...Riley did a pretty damn good job of locking up Pelini commits.

We also seem to get more out of Ozigbo than Rivals or the fan base would give him credit for at the time. The safety Alexander was one of those types of players too, I believe he was a 2* with his only other offer being Toledo.

You can't have a whole roster of those guys, but if you pick your battles and take a flyer on a guy who has the measurables or some sort of "just gets it done on the field" look to him, you can be successful augmenting your higher touted players.

As hard as it may be to believe, yes, we are in on some big names, which helps. Speaking personally, I have been encouraged by those who know their stuff way better than I do. Maybe I shouldn't trust them that much right now. At the same time, it seems like you must be trusting them, if you believe we will be somewhere in the mid 20s come February. So if you truly believe that that's where we will end up, then why are you being so antagonistic?

We seem to be sitting pretty for Reese, Fitzpatrick and even Lamar Jackson who is a Top 100 kid. Also Farniok.

I don't follow the actual points that much, but landing three of those four, or all four of those guys, would seem to guarantee we aren't going to end up near the 50th ranked class in NCAA. It would seem to me those guys would put us in the Top 25, or just shy of it with quite a few other recruits yet to sign.

Reactions: timnsun
We also seem to get more out of Ozigbo than Rivals or the fan base would give him credit for at the time. The safety Alexander was one of those types of players too, I believe he was a 2* with his only other offer being Toledo.

You can't have a whole roster of those guys, but if you pick your battles and take a flyer on a guy who has the measurables or some sort of "just gets it done on the field" look to him, you can be successful augmenting your higher touted players.

I'd add one more note to this, jflores. Riley has consistently shown that he will help guys find landing spots to compete for PT if they are not working out. Over the last seven years we never cut guys loose when it wasn't working out, and in my opinion, it was hurting our ability to build a complete roster. I don't mind allowing our staff to take a chance here and there if I know that in the event the recruit doesn't work out they can find another home. We can't have 10-15 guys on scholarship that are just going through the motions.

Alexander was a 2* in part because I don't think he attended any camps and hadn't been evaluated. Another factor was that he wasn't expected to qualify and had some personal issues.

You stated it was alarming a new coach could come in and IMPROVE the classes star rating in just a few months. Of course, that is false..as I pointed out since you did not include other Riley commits before he left for Nebraska. I get that the other number fits your agenda better but Riley shouldn't be looked down upon because Andersen was not able to lock up other Riley commits. On the flip side...Riley did a pretty damn good job of locking up Pelini commits.

You may want to contact Rivals and tell them they got their numbers wrong.

My argument is solid. When Riley got to Nebraska we had MANY players that had legit P5 offers from lots of places that had continued to recruit them during the transition. There was not only impetus to leave - their was opportunity - and it wasn't from the likes of Southern Mississippi. Riley closed on all of the important guys. Period.

How about those two stars at Oregon State? Were they getting calls from UCLA, Stanford, USC, and Oregon during the coaching transition in Corvallis?

How about after the coaching transitions? We took two of the best away from OSU after Riley arrived in Lincoln - lest we forget that one of them ended up being a head-to-head with JH at Michigan. Andersen land any of his late battles with the hottest coaching name in college football?

Andersen did a nice job finishing out their class. No argument from me. But what Riley did was more impressive; particularly given how important DL, CB, and LB were going to be for the depleted roster that Riley inherited.

Does this make Riley the best recruiter in the world? Hell no. But his staff did a damn fine job closing out a good class with short periods of time. We will very likely finish around 20-25 this year and I very much like the guys we have committed. If we finish strong life will be good. Many signs also point to 2017 starting to look good very soon.

I think we see things differently in some regards. But we both want Nebraska to be good in all aspects. So we can agree on some things.

You may want to contact Rivals and tell them they got their numbers wrong.

I think we see things differently in some regards. But we both want Nebraska to be good in all aspects. So we can agree on some things.

As I said...it's not your numbers...it's how you are presenting it. Not surprising that you aren't getting it. To show the true numbers you would need to include the actual commits at the time before Riley left for Nebraska...which you didn't, as it does not fit your agenda and makes you wrong. Why in the world should Andersen get credit for losing recruits like Snyder and Talan and Riley get knocked for locking up prospects like the Davis twins and Stanley Morgan?

As I said...it's not your numbers...it's how you are presenting it. Not surprising that you aren't getting it. To show the true numbers you would need to include the actual commits at the time before Riley left for Nebraska...which you didn't, as it does not fit your agenda and makes you wrong. Why in the world should Andersen get credit for losing recruits like Snyder and Talan and Riley get knocked for locking up prospects like the Davis twins and Stanley Morgan?
HB13, I think you are gonna have to spell it out, right down to all of the Oregon state commits when Mike Riley was there, listing every last one, And then listing andersen's finishing class. Only then will he see Snyder and Talan in the before (which bumps Oregon state's composite star rating...), and then the composite star rating after without those guys. I know you've done all of this in separate posts, but it still hasn't been understood by nebcountry.

I have understood pretty clearly what you are saying... Not sure why nebcountry hasn't understood this.

Edit: maybe I'm missing something from nebcountry... If so, NC, help me understand.

More reason why Rivals should force users to pass a test before posting. My goodness, you literally can't fix how stupid some are.

Reactions: huskerbaseball13
HB13, I think you are gonna have to spell it out, right down to all of the Oregon state commits when Mike Riley was there, listing every last one, And then listing andersen's finishing class. Only then will he see Snyder and Talan in the before (which bumps Oregon state's composite star rating...), and then the composite star rating after without those guys. I know you've done all of this in separate posts, but it still hasn't been understood by nebcountry.

I have understood pretty clearly what you are saying... Not sure why nebcountry hasn't understood this.

Edit: maybe I'm missing something from nebcountry... If so, NC, help me understand.

I'm not sure of other Oregon State commits before Riley left. I just know Talan and Snyder were Beaver commits before he bailed and with those two commits included Riley had a higher star average than what Andersen finished up with. NebCounty understands, some people just have a hard time admitting they made a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Ferguson, who followed Riley to Nebraska, as also probably a lock to OSU before he left. I don't think he was the most highly rated player around, but I believe he was the Louisiana defensive POY in a state with very good talent. That's not small potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT