ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyway... back to the thread topic, anyone have any insight into who Riley was visiting in IL or the two stops in KC?

Any guesses on who the next 3-5 signings will be?

Ok Ill take the bait. Here is a direct comparison and showing of what the great TO's classes looked like from 87. Now tell me these guy's efforts cannot be considered comparable!
http://hailvarsity.com/news/college...husker-recruiting-rankings-1987-2012/2013/01/
How quickly we forget and are quick to judge. These are recruiting rankings since 87 Note the 5 years before our 1995 national championship team.28th- 28th-9.67-17.5, 21.75

So not really sure if you are trying to support MR here cause to me it seems like this actually works against him. I'd also like to note that you left of the #1 recruiting class in 1985. And that's cool because you've shown that TO had basically a history of having a top ten class. In his last 11 years - 5 classes in the top ten. Nice. No wonder why we won so much. Hmmm...

So yep, I'd be happy with 9.67, 17.5, & 21.75 right now. Hell, where it's at now, 28th looks pretty dam good.

Here is a fact...we are still ranked in the 40's. #43 to be exact.
I love #43 when it's Darren Sproles but not when it's our recruiting ranking.
Still waiting for the ascent.

I'm sure you are taller than your child, but its not really a meaningful measure. All we can really say is, it sucks to not be LSU and lead the nation the whole year in recruiting, but that's not going to happen.

No worries, if Riley finishes 43 in recruiting, there won't be any shortage of outrage. We can be sure of that. Its still highly likely, that he doesn't, so don't have too much a heart attack.

There's really no point in trying to order incomplete classes with complete ones from the Rivals perspective.

I didn't think we were supposed to be able to judge last years recruiting class. But this looks like a special invitation, and I don't want to disappoint.

2015 OrSU commits from Riley:
Fifita - 3 star
Lucas - 2 star
Brandel - 3 star
Porebski - 2 star
Wilson - 3 star
Hicks Onu - 2 star

Riley's commits average 2.50 stars. So Andersen finishes that class out with a 2.53 average. ANDERSEN IMPROVED THE AVERAGE STARS.

2015 NU commits from Pelini:
Lee - 4 star
Anderson - 4 star
Gaylord - 3 star
C. Davis - 3 star
K. Davis - 4 star
Decker - 3 star
Neal - 3 star
Williams - 3 star
Morgan - 4 star

Peilini's commits average 3.44 stars. So Riley finishes that class out with a 3.10 average. RILEY LOWERED THE AVERAGE STARS.

It is somewhat alarming to me that a new head coach can come in and with just a couple months to work with, finish a class out better than it was started.

BTW, since we are now talking about the 2015 recruiting class, is it okay to start comparing Harbaugh/Michigan with Riley/NU?

Hahaha. How stupid is this post.

The star count went down because Riley had to close on the existing class, which he did in outstanding fashion.....AND sign ten more freaking guys with one month to work. Good God man.

So anyway... back to the thread topic, anyone have any insight into who Riley was visiting in IL or the two stops in KC?

Not a whole lot of talent in the KC area this year. My guess is he visited Boe Wilson and some plan D guys.

The star count went down because Riley had to close on the existing class, which he did in outstanding fashion.....AND sign ten more freaking guys with one month to work. Good God man.

I'm glad you think it's so stupid. Gary Andersen had to sign 12 more at freaking OrSU and improved the class star rating in the process.

Edit: I undervalued what Gary Andersen had to do, he had to SIGN 13 MORE.

Are you serious with this post? Anderson had to sign more people than Riley, and if Corvallis is such a bad place you would figure that the recruits that signed with Riley before he left would be the first ones to bolt that hell hole upon his leaving. Anderson had more work to do to keep that class together. PLUS...Riley had more time to work with once he got to Nebraska than Anderson had.

I didn't think we were supposed to be able to judge last years recruiting class. But this looks like a special invitation, and I don't want to disappoint.

2015 OrSU commits from Riley:
Fifita - 3 star
Lucas - 2 star
Brandel - 3 star
Porebski - 2 star
Wilson - 3 star
Hicks Onu - 2 star

Riley's commits average 2.50 stars. So Andersen finishes that class out with a 2.53 average. ANDERSEN IMPROVED THE AVERAGE STARS.

2015 NU commits from Pelini:
Lee - 4 star
Anderson - 4 star
Gaylord - 3 star
C. Davis - 3 star
K. Davis - 4 star
Decker - 3 star
Neal - 3 star
Williams - 3 star
Morgan - 4 star

Peilini's commits average 3.44 stars. So Riley finishes that class out with a 3.10 average. RILEY LOWERED THE AVERAGE STARS.

It is somewhat alarming to me that a new head coach can come in and with just a couple months to work with, finish a class out better than it was started.

BTW, since we are now talking about the 2015 recruiting class, is it okay to start comparing Harbaugh/Michigan with Riley/NU?

We stole Talan from Oregon State who was a 3 star. So Riley was 2.57 which is actually higher than your Andersen number. I didn't do any other research to verify if others decommitted after Riley left.

Reactions: timnsun
I'm sure you are taller than your child, but its not really a meaningful measure. All we can really say is, it sucks to not be LSU and lead the nation the whole year in recruiting, but that's not going to happen.

No worries, if Riley finishes 43 in recruiting, there won't be any shortage of outrage. We can be sure of that. Its still highly likely, that he doesn't, so don't have too much a heart attack.

There's really no point in trying to order incomplete classes with complete ones from the Rivals perspective.

Numbers don't lie. We are 5-7 with a #44 recruiting ranking (currently). There should be outrage until this is fixed. The 5-7 record can't be fixed until next year, but the recruiting ranking can be fixed now. As so many on here say...MR is now with a blueblood program. Well...it's time to deliver the goods.

Are you serious with this post? Anderson had to sign more people than Riley, and if Corvallis is such a bad place you would figure that the recruits that signed with Riley before he left would be the first ones to bolt that hell hole upon his leaving. Anderson had more work to do to keep that class together. PLUS...Riley had more time to work with once he got to Nebraska than Anderson had.

Are any of you serious with any of this? Harbaugh, Riley, McElwain, Andersen et.al. will and should be judged as recruiters partially on the upcoming class, and more completely on the class in 2017. The data provided in a shortened recruiting cycle is at best statistically minimal, if not entirely irrelevant. This whole thread has become an exercise in cherry picking facts to support a narrative, on both sides. It's a pointless exercise right now.

After this year I have my doubts about the future of Nebraska Football. For the time being it is far too early to draw solid conclusions about our recent coaching hires.

We stole Talan from Oregon State who was a 3 star. So Riley was 2.57 which is actually higher than your Andersen number. I didn't do any other research to verify if others decommitted after Riley left.

Oh, and this should include Matt Snyder as well who we stole from Oregon State....so that would bump Rileys number to 2.63...still better than Andersens

Reactions: balsy and timnsun
Numbers don't lie. We are 5-7 with a #44 recruiting ranking (currently). There should be outrage until this is fixed. The 5-7 record can't be fixed until next year, but the recruiting ranking can be fixed now. As so many on here say...MR is now with a blueblood program. Well...it's time to deliver the goods.
How do you propose we fix this "now"? We can't force recruits to commit... Maybe we could pay them?

Just chill out til February.

Guys, we get it...we all get it.

Riley is the best recruiter and Riley is the worst recruiter...I think I covered it.

Are any of you serious with any of this? Harbaugh, Riley, McElwain, Andersen et.al. will and should be judged as recruiters partially on the upcoming class, and more completely on the class in 2017. The data provided in a shortened recruiting cycle is at best statistically minimal, if not entirely irrelevant. This whole thread has become an exercise in cherry picking facts to support a narrative, on both sides. It's a pointless exercise right now.

After this year I have my doubts about the future of Nebraska Football. For the time being it is far too early to draw solid conclusions about our recent coaching hires.

Can I come work for you and get paid a ton of money and fail but not be judged by my work for a year and a half?

Edit: I guess really 2 years of not being judged, right? Since we shouldn't care about the 2016 class either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Then answer the question… How do you propose we fix it now?

I've been saying since day one, get a freaking full blown recruiter on this staff. Coach Bray is a solid recruiter but he isn't an elite one. If Riley put's Bray as the main recruiter on this staff and has to go up against guys like Tosh or Orgeron he can't do it. Sad to say, NU doesn't sell itself anymore. God knows kids aren't instantly sold on Lincoln. We need a Don Draper type to sell these kids. Not someone that reminds them of their grandpa.

Reactions: otismotis08
I've been saying since day one, get a freaking full blown recruiter on this staff. Coach Bray is a solid recruiter but he isn't an elite one. If Riley put's Bray as the main recruiter on this staff and has to go up against guys like Tosh or Orgeron he can't do it. Sad to say, NU doesn't sell itself anymore. God knows kids aren't instantly sold on Lincoln. We need a Don Draper type to sell these kids. Not someone that reminds them of their grandpa.

Lightning rod recruiter. Had we brought one of these along with MR and company, my outlook would have been much better.

I don't agree there should be outrage. Folks can worry if they want, but lets not deliver damnation until a product is actually delivered.

By all accounts, we're sitting pretty with Fitzpatrick and Reese and others, they would probably help our ranking, but they are going to commit on their timeline, not yours (if they do commit here).

Other folks keep trotting out where Iowa and Oregon State are at. I'm not envious of those schools in the slightest, because when it counts they aren't going to be where they are at now, and we won't be either. If I really believed we are going to end up 44th and behind those two schools, I'd be a lot more upset than I am.

Lightning rod recruiter. Had we brought one of these along with MR and company, my outlook would have been much better.

My only concern at this point might be along the DL a little bit.

Lightning rod recruiter would be nice, but he's not here. That said, just because we're not Top 25 now, doesn't mean we won't end up there. If we're 22 the whole way through, or 22 on the last day, it all spends the same.

Obviously...however people who twist the facts will be shown the truth.

This is correct...I think we end up mid 20's.

That would be my best guess as well.

I think others have floated out there that 15 is possible, but I don't follow to the nth degree the amount of points we'd have to score and what point potential is left among the available targets to get us there. I'd be super happy with a Top 20, just for the momentum of saying so for a first full class. Top 15 would be epic.

Another factor left unsaid, decommits and deck shuffling happen all the time. It can work both for and against us, and makes any pre-signed rank even that more shaky for the teams people are crowing about ahead of us.

In just Iowa's case, Fant is a good recruit who may yet still leave their stable. It would help our relative position if he went to UCLA, it would help it even more if he came here. Who knows what the deck shuffle is going to look like among schools that analysts project will be in those 15-25 slots, but aren't currently (of which we are one, OU is another).

I'm glad you think it's so stupid. Gary Andersen had to sign 12 more at freaking OrSU and improved the class star rating in the process.

Edit: I undervalued what Gary Andersen had to do, he had to SIGN 13 MORE.

It is stupid. Only a dumbass would bag on what Riley and his staff accomplished last year after being hired. They locked up a number of outstanding players that had lots of other P5 options in an extremely short period of time. A number were at critical positions for future depth, e.g., DL and CB. Then his crew went out and locked up some very good remaining talent, for positions of extreme need e.g., LB, in a short period of time. If you honestly think what Gary Andersen did was more impressive I don't know how to help you. All this while beginning to evaluate a number of legit prospects for 2016 that we got in on early. POB heading to a P12 school? Nope.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

What the heck do you call what Bray has done since arriving? All this talk about Tosh or Orgeron is non-sense: 1) everyone thinks they're dirty, 2) they don't want to come here, 3) you don't just assemble a group of coaches like you do the American League all star team.

Last edited:
It is stupid. Only a dumbass would bag on what Riley and his staff accomplished last year after being hired. They locked up a number of outstanding players that had lots of other P5 options in an extremely short period of time. A number were at critical positions for future depth, e.g., DL and CB. Then his crew went out and locked up some very good remaining talent, for positions of extreme need e.g., LB, in a short period of time. If you honestly think what Gary Andersen did was more impressive I don't know how to help you. All this while beginning to evaluate a number of legit prospects for 2016 that we got in on early. POB heading to a P12 school? Nope.

I would guess you're talking about those commits that all have a commit date prior to Riley's hiring. I see the error in my ways. All those prior signing commits knew Riley would be hired, and committed before Riley was hired, so they would have a spot. Get off your high horse. Talking down to me only shows me you have a feeble argument.

I'll try. 43 other programs figured it out.

What specifically do you not like about the class? It's clear that we are going to go far up in the rankings simply based on numbers. It's clear that the average star rating is reasonable. It's clear that some of the mid-star players have massive potential (e.g., Gatorade player of the year in their respective states). It's clear that we have gone from competing against Southern Alabama for recruits to the likes of Texas and Florida (e.g., Reese). It's clear that we have tremendous improved out organization, creativity, visibility, and evaluation process. Our support staff is doing an amazing job. It's clear that we have far more 'plan B' guys in place. Etc. If you doubt any of this go ask Nate Clouse. Isn't a better authority on this stuff than him.

I would guess you're talking about those commits that all have a commit date prior to Riley's hiring. I see the error in my ways. All those prior signing commits knew Riley would be hired, and committed before Riley was hired, so they would have a spot. Get off your high horse. Talking down to me only shows me you have a feeble argument.

My argument is solid. When Riley got to Nebraska we had MANY players that had legit P5 offers from lots of places that had continued to recruit them during the transition. There was not only impetus to leave - their was opportunity - and it wasn't from the likes of Southern Mississippi. Riley closed on all of the important guys. Period.

How about those two stars at Oregon State? Were they getting calls from UCLA, Stanford, USC, and Oregon during the coaching transition in Corvallis?

How about after the coaching transitions? We took two of the best away from OSU after Riley arrived in Lincoln - lest we forget that one of them ended up being a head-to-head with JH at Michigan. Andersen land any of his late battles with the hottest coaching name in college football?

Andersen did a nice job finishing out their class. No argument from me. But what Riley did was more impressive; particularly given how important DL, CB, and LB were going to be for the depleted roster that Riley inherited.

Does this make Riley the best recruiter in the world? Hell no. But his staff did a damn fine job closing out a good class with short periods of time. We will very likely finish around 20-25 this year and I very much like the guys we have committed. If we finish strong life will be good. Many signs also point to 2017 starting to look good very soon.

Your argument has some holes in it considering in your numbers you failed to include the Mike Riley OSU commits that Andersen failed to lock up.

What specifically do you not like about the class? It's clear that we are going to go far up in the rankings simply based on numbers. It's clear that the average star rating is reasonable. It's clear that some of the mid-star players have massive potential (e.g., Gatorade player of the year in their respective states). It's clear that we have gone from competing against Southern Alabama for recruits to the likes of Texas and Florida (e.g., Reese). It's clear that we have tremendous improved out organization, creativity, visibility, and evaluation process. Our support staff is doing an amazing job. It's clear that we have far more 'plan B' guys in place. Etc. If you doubt any of this go ask Nate Clouse. Isn't a better authority on this stuff than him.

I'd love to be wrong on this one, trust me.

You're probably right but the premier recruiter is now at North Carolina.

Prior to December 2014:
Can't compare recruiting against schools like Michigan, Florida, etc ,etc...

Since December 2014:
Compare how he's done against Michigan, Florida, etc, etc...

Can't make this sh1t up, blotards gonna blotards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT