ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My views on this post.

1. It shouldn't take a guy whose been coaching college football for years to develop recruiting connections. (Didn't take Billy C any time back in 2005)
2. What happens if KJJ goes to USC? Anyone think about that?
3. We need way more than a Jr in HS to help in recruiting or so it seems
4. Most people's hate for Bo makes them blind to see what is going on in recruiting. But hey, we just had another "underrated" 2-star visit. We should be ok
5. HTO sure loves to use the word blotard
6. Anyone else think its strange that we have zero commits from the North West? (excluding the kicker anyways) Shouldn't Riley be pretty familiar and have some "in's" there?

There are a few criteria before you enter this club:

1. Use the word blotard once every day, but mostly when you're by yourself in the shower.
2. Ignore all facts relating to MR's historical incompetence & lack of any reasoning to hire him at DONU.
3. If anybody disagrees with you, call them a name and blame their opinion on love for the "last staff."
4. Get your mom's permission.
About as funny as Carrot Top and his prop comedy. Its OK, some people just arent funny.

My views on this post.

1. It shouldn't take a guy whose been coaching college football for years to develop recruiting connections. (Didn't take Billy C any time back in 2005)
2. What happens if KJJ goes to USC? Anyone think about that?
3. We need way more than a Jr in HS to help in recruiting or so it seems
4. Most people's hate for Bo makes them blind to see what is going on in recruiting. But hey, we just had another "underrated" 2-star visit. We should be ok
5. HTO sure loves to use the word blotard
6. Anyone else think its strange that we have zero commits from the North West? (excluding the kicker anyways) Shouldn't Riley be pretty familiar and have some "in's" there?
4. What is going on in recruiting? I guess I am too blind. Seems to me the coaches have a tremendous organizational approach to recruiting, and oh yes, they aren't done for 2016 yet.
6. I don't know what the competition is in the North West, but maybe not much talent there? Just guessing on this one, and I'm probably wrong.

Here is a fact...we are still ranked in the 40's. #43 to be exact.
I love #43 when it's Darren Sproles but not when it's our recruiting ranking.
Still waiting for the ascent.

Here is a fact...we are still ranked in the 40's. #43 to be exact.
I love #43 when it's Darren Sproles but not when it's our recruiting ranking.
Still waiting for the ascent.

Another fact. The players committed that contribute to that ranking are legit.

Another fact. It's December 14th.

I think we really have to wait on recruiting. There are so many different strategies to employ that it is hard to say exactly where we are right now. Shoot, last I saw OU was right in front of us in the 40's. But they only had 12 commits. No way Bob Stoops is going to end up the 40's. We are fine right now and just need to wait for signing day to give any kind of evaluation.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I think we really have to wait on recruiting. There are so many different strategies to employ that it is hard to say exactly where we are right now. Shoot, last I saw OU was right in front of us in the 40's. But they only had 12 commits. No way Bob Stoops is going to end up the 40's. We are fine right now and just need to wait for signing day to give any kind of evaluation.

I'm not concerned about OU either, because Stoopsy has repeatedly shown that he will get it done. Year after year.
I am concerned about us, because MR has not.

4. What is going on in recruiting? I guess I am too blind. Seems to me the coaches have a tremendous organizational approach to recruiting, and oh yes, they aren't done for 2016 yet.
6. I don't know what the competition is in the North West, but maybe not much talent there? Just guessing on this one, and I'm probably wrong.
Washington has a good year for for Talent and Oregon is ok - I am surprised by no interest from the recruits up here as the staff should have good connections. Kids in the Northwest have a favorable look towards Nebraska. Also its not like USC and UCLA are close or anything probably as far as Nebraska - main competition is UW and Oregon

Why is EVERYTHING compared to the "LAST STAFF" on this board? Nowhere else does this happen. I swear, a handful of you are like jealous ex girlfriends of Peelini who f'ed your best friend. How about we compare our current coaching staff to a staff that actually won trophies at DONU? Probably because Smiley and his staff are so far from being successful like TO & co. that your narrative would be crushed.
Ok Ill take the bait. Here is a direct comparison and showing of what the great TO's classes looked like from 87. Now tell me these guy's efforts cannot be considered comparable!
http://hailvarsity.com/news/college...husker-recruiting-rankings-1987-2012/2013/01/
How quickly we forget and are quick to judge. These are recruiting rankings since 87 Note the 5 years before our 1995 national championship team.28th- 28th-9.67-17.5, 21.75

I'm not concerned about OU either, because Stoopsy has repeatedly shown that he will get it done. Year after year.
I am concerned about us, because MR has not.

Only a fool would compare datasets from two entirely different sets of conditions.

I like the other fact that it's Dec. 14th. I can 100% tell you that fact was a major problem under the last coach so in fairness, it should be a problem under the current coach too (put another way, if Bo needed to fill 8-10 scholly's still and we're less than 2 months from signing day, it was a MAJOR issue). Ahem, we're 8-10 scholly's short and less than 2 months from signing day....

GBR

I like the other fact that it's Dec. 14th. I can 100% tell you that fact was a major problem under the last coach so in fairness, it should be a problem under the current coach too (put another way, if Bo needed to fill 8-10 scholly's still and we're less than 2 months from signing day, it was a MAJOR issue). Ahem, we're 8-10 scholly's short and less than 2 months from signing day....
The difference is we are "in" top consideration for abt.8 top recruits at this time that we have a very legit shot at. The staff cannot go to plan B at this point and take guys that are not as good just to get bodies in the commit side like previous years because if the dominos fall we will be over the limit.15 commits-coach Williams son is 16. 15 seniors-attrition will open up a few -Collins a 50/50{unknown for sure yet but at least 3-4 known}plus you can over sign 3. Do the math. They are being forced to play a wait and see how things fall!
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewo...cle_3cd65f8b-a60a-5a74-9f59-e72314a2ca86.html
"Nebraska has 15 scholarship seniors. A 16th, Kevin Williams, is getting a sixth year of eligibility. I also think there’s a good chance defensive tackle Maliek Collins declares for the NFL draft, which creates 16 open spots. Big Ten teams are allowed to sign three more players than they have open scholarships so long as the roster is processed to 85 scholarships by the start of next fall camp. So, for now, 19 would be the number. Attrition would push the number up. As Riley said, expect annual attrition.

Expect, too, Nebraska to keep working its board. The Huskers are “in it” with a number of players. NU won’t be looking for players to take scholarships;"

Great info and perspective wwStormking. I do have hope that Riley does well. I am probably one of the few that wants to be patient in giving out all of the scholarships b/c I do think there are some under the radar type kids that deserve a good look (worth 2-3 scholarships/yr in my opinion). However I also realize that is not how it works as much these days in recruiting. I'm sure that Riley is organized and in on some good ones but TODAY, I still think we're 8-10 players short of a full class and less than 2 months from signing day. This isn't foreign territory but I'll be shocked if the results differ much from those seen the last seven years (average of about #25-#30 in team recruiting rankings). I'll be very happy to be wrong. Hopefully our bowl game helps in our recruiting to finish strong.

GBR

Really? That's the best you have to offer?

I'm simply pointing out the current recruiting rankings, and why one team's current position (NU) might be of greater concern than anothers (OU).
Don't like it? Fine. Present a counter.

Bob's accomplishments have all been at OU. One school. One set of variables.

Mike's have been at a bottom-feeder PAC 10 school with a pathetic football tradition and few resounrces; now he is at a blue blood. You are free to presume Riley's results will be analogous in two entirely different scenarios. I certainly wouldn't.

Ok I'm lazy, but who are the big time players on the radar with a Husker potential lean? Bear in mind I haven't followed recruiting as much? Is that Major guy on the main page an actual possibility? Who are the others? What guys will make our rating jump?

Maybe someone needs to tell Gary Andersen that he is in Corvallis now and being in Corvallis HAS to hamper his recruiting.
The last four years Oregon st. averaged 2.74 stars per recruit( including last years class that for obvious reasons was the lowest). Anderson's class is at 2.78. Assuming he can hold on to a couple highly rated recruits from Texas. So, I wouldn't say Anderson is killing it. Try harder Tom.

Maybe someone needs to tell Gary Andersen that he is in Corvallis now and being in Corvallis HAS to hamper his recruiting.

Star average Oregon State is #10 in Pac 12. Would you like to compare his recruiting at Wisconsin to his time at Oregon State thus far to see if it has hampered his recruiting? Probably not.

Last edited:
Farniok is an OL baller that we're still in on. A good recap on current remaining targets was provided in a decent news article done in the last week from huskermax's site. Not hard to find.

I want this staff to kill it and get us back to the top bad, but it's been a very tough season to keep hanging the hat on "hope" and that this every situation seen this yr is 100% unique to this yr only. It's been very challenging for me on things that we are seeing that normally draw a flag, we're suppose to keep it in the pocket for now. Very challenging and I feel very apathetic in doing so.

GBR

Star average Oregon State is #10 in Pac 12. Would you like to compare his recruiting at Wisconsin to his time at Oregon State thus far to see if it has hampered his recruiting? Probably not.
It's about the same. He averaged 45th in his years at Wisconsin. I'm not sure Corvallis is any more difficult for him than Madison.

It's about the same. He averaged 45th in his years at Wisconsin. I'm not sure Corvallis is any more difficult for him than Madison.

That number is a bit skewed considering you are including Wisconsins 2013 class which they only signed 17 kids and Andersen had just over a month at Wiscy to recruit. And yet, they still came away with an average star ranking of 3. If those numbers are included it should be noted last year class at Oregon St Andersen signed the lowest ranked power 5 class....

That number is a bit skewed considering you are including Wisconsins 2013 class which they only signed 17 kids and Andersen had just over a month at Wiscy to recruit. And yet, they still came away with an average star ranking of 3. If those numbers are included it should be noted last year at Oregon St Andersen signed the lowest ranked power 5 class....
You asked the question...I just gave you the answer about how he recruited at Wisky.

And I noted he signed the worst power 5 class in the nation last year in his first class at Oregon State.
Just guessing...but that may not have been all of his fault. They were pretty much stinking up the joint recruiting last year before he got there.

Just guessing...but that may not have been all of his fault. They were pretty much stinking up the joint recruiting last year before he got there.
But surely Anderson had relationships already established with other prospective players? Last year wasn't his first as a head coach right? Why wasn't he able to lure them to Corvallis? Hmmm.....

But surely Anderson had relationships already established with other prospective players? Last year wasn't his first as a head coach right? Why wasn't he able to lure them to Corvallis? Hmmm.....

Checkmate.

I didn't think we were supposed to be able to judge last years recruiting class. But this looks like a special invitation, and I don't want to disappoint.

2015 OrSU commits from Riley:
Fifita - 3 star
Lucas - 2 star
Brandel - 3 star
Porebski - 2 star
Wilson - 3 star
Hicks Onu - 2 star

Riley's commits average 2.50 stars. So Andersen finishes that class out with a 2.53 average. ANDERSEN IMPROVED THE AVERAGE STARS.

2015 NU commits from Pelini:
Lee - 4 star
Anderson - 4 star
Gaylord - 3 star
C. Davis - 3 star
K. Davis - 4 star
Decker - 3 star
Neal - 3 star
Williams - 3 star
Morgan - 4 star

Peilini's commits average 3.44 stars. So Riley finishes that class out with a 3.10 average. RILEY LOWERED THE AVERAGE STARS.

It is somewhat alarming to me that a new head coach can come in and with just a couple months to work with, finish a class out better than it was started.

BTW, since we are now talking about the 2015 recruiting class, is it okay to start comparing Harbaugh/Michigan with Riley/NU?

Meanwhile, Oregon State currently sits at #32 and Nebraska at #40.

Hmmm....

I didn't think we were supposed to be able to judge last years recruiting class. But this looks like a special invitation, and I don't want to disappoint.

2015 OrSU commits from Riley:
Fifita - 3 star
Lucas - 2 star
Brandel - 3 star
Porebski - 2 star
Wilson - 3 star
Hicks Onu - 2 star

Riley's commits average 2.50 stars. So Andersen finishes that class out with a 2.53 average. ANDERSEN IMPROVED THE AVERAGE STARS.

2015 NU commits from Pelini:
Lee - 4 star
Anderson - 4 star
Gaylord - 3 star
C. Davis - 3 star
K. Davis - 4 star
Decker - 3 star
Neal - 3 star
Williams - 3 star
Morgan - 4 star

Peilini's commits average 3.44 stars. So Riley finishes that class out with a 3.10 average. RILEY LOWERED THE AVERAGE STARS.

It is somewhat alarming to me that a new head coach can come in and with just a couple months to work with, finish a class out better than it was started.

BTW, since we are now talking about the 2015 recruiting class, is it okay to start comparing Harbaugh/Michigan with Riley/NU?

Hey...you can't do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT