ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving/ have left

I’ll ask again .... the position groups each coach is responsible for getting ready to play have greatly increased in numbers since Frost has taken over and are much larger than they had to deal with at UCF. Are the one on one coaching opportunities being diluted.

It analogous to a teacher all of a sudden having to deal with a large increase in class size to the detriment of the individual students.

I brought this up a while back and as usual for this board I was called something unflattering.

The reality is you don't get more coaches because you have more players. Reps for each in practice have to be reduced. Contact with the position coach have to necessarily be limited by your total numbers. At some point the bigger numbers become counter productive. There is a sweet spot but I have no idea what it would be. We are nearing double total scholarships allowed with the same number of coaches.

At the risk of this getting buried, since we have turned to culture, I think the following 2 articles are an interesting read from Chris Dishman. After reading those articles, you can get a feel for what a winning culture was like. The thing I got out of it was who was actually responsible for instilling that culture? To me, it wasn't the coaches (well maybe initially and as reinforcement), it was the players that have to carry it forward and instill it in everyone in every position group. I don't think we have those leaders today right now. Not that we can't develop them.

https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-dishman-part-1/
https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-dishman-part-2/

This makes no sense. If the “cancer” left last year and the team improved, why would have to have yet another purge this year? Especially considering their was also a recruiting class of all Frost guys added to the mix as well.

Apparently it has spread to the lymph nodes.. :Cool:

If the “cancer” left last year and the team improved, why would have to have yet another purge this year? Especially considering their was also a recruiting class of all Frost guys added to the mix as well.

I did a little bit of digging around. Frost has some complaints about guys not following the leadership, and stating that his QB's also need to get better at it.

I hate to break it to people, but if guys aren't willing to follow the leader, there is pretty much nothing you're going to do to change that.

Think of someone you know in a leadership role, that you don't like and couldn't follow. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to make you follow that person, because your instincts just say not to.

This is why I hope Martinez is the one not coming back.

You can cut the guys that won't follow him, but I'm not sure that makes you a stronger team.

I would rather see them build on what Vedral has done and see how the freshman looks.

I hate to see people use the word cancer, but if people are going to refer to a problem as that, then from my view, Martinez is where that tumor begins.

I brought this up a while back and as usual for this board I was called something unflattering.

The reality is you don't get more coaches because you have more players. Reps for each in practice have to be reduced. Contact with the position coach have to necessarily be limited by your total numbers. At some point the bigger numbers become counter productive. There is a sweet spot but I have no idea what it would be. We are nearing double total scholarships allowed with the same number of coaches.
I do understand this logic and it there very well could be some truth to it. However I would hope that we have skilled talented coaches who are able to recognize the type of athletes mentally and physically that they want. The goal in having this many kids is not to be able to rep/ coach them all equally. The goal is to be able to have a talent pool to choose from. Basically have an A B C and D squat at every position. The main coaches are focused, reping and coaching up the A and B squads. Other assistants and helpers (not sure if there is also a limit on these assistants like coaches) in charge of the C and D. Yes Frost and the other coaches are going and assisting with the lower groups, but majority of their time is spend on the A and B groups. Remember the goal here is to have system in place where everyone knows what they are suppose to be doing. So in reality no groups should need a ton of attention from the coach. In theory the older guys are teaching the younger guys in every group. If a player from C and D are starting to stand out they get bumped up. If a player from A and B are under performing they get moved down. So a high number of players shouldn't be taking away from coaches time once the system gets up and running at 100%. Just my opinion

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It’s fascinating how underachieving in the short term is turned into “taking a long term approach” and “building the right way” and “thinking strategically”.

Because as everyone knows there is nothing that predicts long term success better than short term failure.
Just as if you thought short term success was possible you must have long term stupidity. This is a complete rebuild.

Just as if you thought short term success was possible you must have long term stupidity. This is a complete rebuild.

Yes .. thank you for the reminder. Whenever I get impatient I need to remind myself to go back and read all the articles and posts after the hire predicting 4 wins in year 1 and MAYBE ???? (fingers crossed) a bowl game in year 2

Last edited:
You chose it read it that way, because you want to be outraged at everything the staff says or does. Frost is saying they (the coaches) need to get their team ready to play and they need to recruit better.

I wasn’t outraged when he said we were better at every position group versus last year or that we would contend for the division this year.

Reactions: Bruce1981
This program has had half ass it/ weak minded players for years. If we lose some because they can't or don't want to put in the effort that is required by this coaching staff then there is nothing sad about it. Yes, short term it may hurt the team but long term it is for the best. Until everyone of those players are gone this team and program will never get better. Not everyone is cut out for the mental or physical demand of college athletics.

Again, I bring up my nephew's AF team. Travels to HI, beats the shit out of the Rainbow Warriors with their last string QB, who incidentally, is better than the starters IMO.

They have a WR who runs a legit 10.7 100m. They have a FB with breakaway speed. They are big upfront. Real talent and real coaching (Calhoun).

It's gonna take Nebraska awhile to get a semblance of AF on the field, and these kids are just 5-2 with a tough schedule (losses to Navy and Boise).

Frost sees what we have and what we need.

Unless he puts up a big time recruiting class and gets rid of ALL the legacy suck on this team, Riley or Frost recruited, Nebraska is going to stink. Desperate times create desperate measures.

I wasn’t outraged when he said we were better at every position group versus last year or that we would contend for the division this year.

Coachspeak, but it does make me question Frost's credibility. His style. He's a young HC in a tough racket and he'd better figure out how to motivate kids to play a man's game. I see players who don't look very inspired. They make mistakes. They don't seem engaged. I don't see many guys looking like they are having fun on the field playing intense football.

I did a little bit of digging around. Frost has some complaints about guys not following the leadership, and stating that his QB's also need to get better at it.

I hate to break it to people, but if guys aren't willing to follow the leader, there is pretty much nothing you're going to do to change that.

Think of someone you know in a leadership role, that you don't like and couldn't follow. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to make you follow that person, because your instincts just say not to.

You can cut the guys that won't follow him, but I'm not sure that makes you a stronger team.

I would rather see them build on what Vedral has done and see how the freshman looks.

I hate to see people use the word cancer, but if people are going to refer to a problem as that, then from my view, Martinez is where that tumor begins.

The player Dirk is talking about is Mo Washington. He decided he wasnt going to practice last week. And nobody knows where he went! The leadership problem lies squarely on the shoulders of Scott Frost. As a "leader" you don't allow your best player to walk all over you. Mo doesn't like the training table food, so he gets to get his food delivered to his house from Chipotle and Chick-fil-A. Nobody is buying in with crap like this being allowed. And dude doesn't even go to workouts!!

Reactions: Huskred01
The player Dirk is talking about is Mo Washington. He decided he wasnt going to practice last week. And nobody knows where he went! The leadership problem lies squarely on the shoulders of Scott Frost. As a "leader" you don't allow your best player to walk all over you. Mo doesn't like the training table food, so he gets to get his food delivered to his house from Chipotle and Chick-fil-A. Nobody is buying in with crap like this being allowed. And dude doesn't even go to workouts!!
If that is true, talented or not, you show that guy the door. Sh*t like that undermines the team.

Does Frost think he is giving Washington to same chances he feels Osborne gave Phillips but obviously going about differently and WRONG??

What, Seriously? Doesn’t sound like Frost at all.

I do understand this logic and it there very well could be some truth to it. However I would hope that we have skilled talented coaches who are able to recognize the type of athletes mentally and physically that they want. The goal in having this many kids is not to be able to rep/ coach them all equally. The goal is to be able to have a talent pool to choose from. Basically have an A B C and D squat at every position. The main coaches are focused, reping and coaching up the A and B squads. Other assistants and helpers (not sure if there is also a limit on these assistants like coaches) in charge of the C and D. Yes Frost and the other coaches are going and assisting with the lower groups, but majority of their time is spend on the A and B groups. Remember the goal here is to have system in place where everyone knows what they are suppose to be doing. So in reality no groups should need a ton of attention from the coach. In theory the older guys are teaching the younger guys in every group. If a player from C and D are starting to stand out they get bumped up. If a player from A and B are under performing they get moved down. So a high number of players shouldn't be taking away from coaches time once the system gets up and running at 100%. Just my opinion

Well, reality doesn't fit the narrative you suggest. Players coaching players? It is called technique and there is a reason we have coaches in the first place. Who in this O line do you see teaching technique and getting footwork, hand placement and timing perfected?

With all the walk-ons who had few offers you have raw talent that needs to be developed even more. Giving them less will lead to less.

If you are hoping one or two to develop out of the large pool, this can happen with maturity in some kids, hard work and learning a system but it is not the norm. If your recruiting is very good, then that severely limits those odds.

At any level of sports you have to coach and teach the finer aspects of the game. That's what coaches get paid to do. They don't just run them through a bunch of drills. There are limited numbers if coaches who can be on the field by NCAA and at every level is sports I am aware of. They can only do so much. So having big numbers certainly is not a guarantee of success.

Don't care about the food, but if he's missing practices show his ass the door. He's nowhere near a good enough player to pull that shit. Should have been shown the door when his problems first showed up.

Reactions: MitchLL

noah vedral is hapless and played like absolute garbage in his big chance

next time you do some digging, make sure it's your grave

Last edited:
What, Seriously? Doesn’t sound like Frost at all.

Frost stood by him to help him get to campus and so did support staff. A lot of people put in a lot of effort and time to help lead him in the right direction. Eventually there comes a time hard choices have to be made for the betterment of the program.

Reactions: headcard
noah vedral is hapless and played like absolute garbage in his big chance

next time you do some digging, make sure it's your grave

I don't know that he played that poorly, but it was obvious the entire game Minnesota knew that under no circumstances was he going to throw the ball down the field. That's beyond limiting for this offense; it's a back breaker.

He's quite a bit faster than Martinez but that doesn't help when your opponent only has to defend within 20 yards of the LOS.

BS....the chances that a single player on the team knows this information is zero..some coaches wouldn't even be privy to this information. Only Frost, position coach, and nutritionist would know this...plus...even if a player leaves the other players do not know what is going on...he might be gone for any reason. And even if you were in the inner circle there are plenty of reasons why Mo might have missed workouts this year. The rumors are just that...and it just points out how bad the talent is that they can't let the head coach deal with a talented player in his own way without it "disrupting them". It certainly hasn't effect Wandale and he is a freshman so decent players with any sort of will are going to put up with creative ways to deal with talented players. This isn't little league where everybody needs to be treated the same and get a trophy. Mo is a supremely talented player, we win when he plays well, we lose when he doesn't. If sucky ass players throw a fit they need to STHU and GTFO. Talent wins...talent wins...talent wins....

Mo is talented, but I could see how his act would piss off guys doing things the right way. I hope it isn’t true and that he cleans up his act, reaches his potential and has a long NFL career. But it is beyond time for him to shit or get off the pot.

Does Frost think he is giving Washington to same chances he feels Osborne gave Phillips but obviously going about differently and WRONG??

Phillips played hard and showed up on Saturday, but enough was enough.

If it's Mo, it could be good for the team morale.

Need a new avatar.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
Frost has given Mo plenty of opportunities to succeed and didn't rush to judgement when the legal troubles came about. Just seems like a real dick move to quit going to workouts and just be an ass in general. I've been a big #FreeMo guy, but if all that stuff is true then he better be packing his bags.

my god people some of you want AM GONE and he was hailed as a hero last year, now you want him gone, of course there will be some people leave, I fully expect MO to be one of those because of this off the field issue. other than that if someone wants to go another route then so be it, let's not make such a big deal about it, hell it happens everyyear. why shuld this be bigger then any other year. all you armchair coaches should go out and get a real job in my opinion.

my god people some of you want AM GONE and he was hailed as a hero last year, now you want him gone, of course there will be some people leave, I fully expect MO to be one of those because of this off the field issue. other than that if someone wants to go another route then so be it, let's not make such a big deal about it, hell it happens everyyear. why shuld this be bigger then any other year. all you armchair coaches should go out and get a real job in my opinion.
?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT