ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving/ have left

Nebraska is only losing 16 Seniors on Scholarship with 1 open Scholarship. I assumed 8 guys would be leaving to get to the 25 recruits/transfers allowed. Depending on the 8 it could be addition by subtraction. Looking at the roster scholarship chart 24 of Riley recruits will be Juniors and Seniors next year. Fans are quick to want to see most of those guys leave. We still don't know how good the true freshman is this year with most redshirting except 3 players and only 1 Wandall Robinson was a big impact player this year.

Reactions: headcard
The player Dirk is talking about is Mo Washington. He decided he wasnt going to practice last week. And nobody knows where he went! The leadership problem lies squarely on the shoulders of Scott Frost. As a "leader" you don't allow your best player to walk all over you. Mo doesn't like the training table food, so he gets to get his food delivered to his house from Chipotle and Chick-fil-A. Nobody is buying in with crap like this being allowed. And dude doesn't even go to workouts!!

If this is true it explains a bit as to why he gets injured every time he touches the ball.

Reactions: SC_'sker
If this is true it explains a bit as to why he gets injured every time he touches the ball.
How could this information be so readily available yet nobody ever knows what is going on with out injuries? This rumor crap is so dumb...of course it sticks because people imagine that Mo might do this stuff. If it was Mazour people wouldn't buy it for a second. There is always weird stuff going on with 18-22 year old men but if NU fans really want to win they are going to have to accept that coaches are more psychologist than field general. They have to figure out what makes their players tick, and if they are blessed with a really good football player they HAVE to look the other way, and the more they invest the more they have to let go. It has been this way with nearly every ultra talented player at NU. I didn't expect Mo to survive this season because he 1500 miles away from home, he is going through an impossible situation with the criminal courts, has had his name plastered all over the world as a sex offender without context, and is still trying to figure out how to be a college student and D1 football player, all the while being the lynchpin in the offense that decides whether we win or lose. On top of this he has no leadership at his position, the weakest on the team, is surrounded by freshman or juco transfers. A terrible situation all around and bound to end if flames.

How could this information be so readily available yet nobody ever knows what is going on with out injuries? This rumor crap is so dumb...of course it sticks because people imagine that Mo might do this stuff. If it was Mazour people wouldn't buy it for a second. There is always weird stuff going on with 18-22 year old men but if NU fans really want to win they are going to have to accept that coaches are more psychologist than field general. They have to figure out what makes their players tick, and if they are blessed with a really good football player they HAVE to look the other way, and the more they invest the more they have to let go. It has been this way with nearly every ultra talented player at NU. I didn't expect Mo to survive this season because he 1500 miles away from home, he is going through an impossible situation with the criminal courts, has had his name plastered all over the world as a sex offender without context, and is still trying to figure out how to be a college student and D1 football player, all the while being the lynchpin in the offense that decides whether we win or lose. On top of this he has no leadership at his position, the weakest on the team, is surrounded by freshman or juco transfers. A terrible situation all around and bound to end if flames.

Sad situation, hopefully it turns out differently, but 77 carries for 455 yards and 50 carries for 298 yards doesn't rise to "lynchpin" on any team.

He has been a "contributor" since his arrival here. Not more, not less.

Sad situation, hopefully it turns out differently, but 77 carries for 455 yards and 50 carries for 298 yards doesn't rise to "lynchpin" on any team.

He has been a "contributor" since his arrival here. Not more, not less.
He is incredibly important because he has 80% of our explosive plays over 30 yards....he literally changes the defense when he is running the ball well because he can beat people in space in unusual ways. When he was playing well against Colorado, Northern Illinois, and Illinois we averaged 35 ppg...without him we are averaging 9 ppg. With him 35, w/o him 9....that is a lynchpin. So whatever concussion or contusion made him forget how to play running back also made our offense forget how to score.

I guess if I were a current player and the coach said "he needs to recruit better players to run his schems," I might have a problem giving 100% for that coach. He can think it, but publicly saying it is another story. That right there could be considered a leadership problem.
Exactly and I'm guessing they've said things like that more than we know too. Say that enough and why would any player go 100% for a coach who blames all the problems on you and says the only way to fix those problems is to recruit over you. I hope this coaching staff doesn't think that's motivating because that's about the worst way you can do it.

Reactions: American Horse
Exactly and I'm guessing they've said things like that more than we know too. Say that enough and why would any player go 100% for a coach who blames all the problems on you and says the only way to fix those problems is to recruit over you. I hope this coaching staff doesn't think that's motivating because that's about the worst way you can do it.

Frost has said since day 1 no player should feel safe with their spot. Held has said, he is going out to recruit guys to replace the starters. I don't think it is a secret this staff is trying to keep. They want guys here who are willing to compete at 100% at all times. If they don't they should know they will be replaced. That isn't a bad thing. That is kind of how the NFL or even life in general works, you better know if you don't do your job to the best of your abilities you will be gone.

Well, sounds like Mo might be gone. So thats 1 I guess.
That is a rumor started by a troll from another fan base. That crap has spread to other boards. Frost hasn't released anything of that nature so until he does, Mo's part of the team. The departures we've had have been announced within 24 hours of it happening so I'm doubting any truth to this one.

That is a rumor started by a troll from another fan base. That crap has spread to other boards. Frost hasn't released anything of that nature so until he does, Mo's part of the team. The departures we've had have been announced within 24 hours of it happening so I'm doubting any truth to this one.
Hope it isn't true not only for the sake of the program, but for his own well being. I fear if he is no longer on the team his life could end up in a downward spiral.

Hope it isn't true not only for the sake of the program, but for his own well being. I fear if he is no longer on the team his life could end up in a downward spiral.
The kid has to be down. He's playing with an injury and our O line is not playing well. He's been criticized almost daily by a few people on message boards. I wouldn't have dealt well with that when I was 18-19 years old. I can NOT even remotely imagine what its like to be a football player of his visibility in a power 5 program. Talk about living under a microscope.

Reactions: husker2612
The kid has to be down. He's playing with an injury and our O line is not playing well. He's been criticized almost daily by a few people on message boards. I wouldn't have dealt well with that when I was 18-19 years old. I can NOT even remotely imagine what its like to be a football player of his visibility in a power 5 program. Talk about living under a microscope.

I fully understand what you are saying and I get it. At the same time, Nebraska has provided a good, if not great, support system for these athletes. Is he taking full advantage of that resource to start with?

He cannot control what others in the media or on message boards are saying but he does have control over his life and actions. If he does not make good choices in those areas (not saying he has or hasn't) then he can expect the criticism to ramp up. People can build assistance plans all day long but eventually the person has to take the initiative to make it happen.

I fully understand what you are saying and I get it. At the same time, Nebraska has provided a good, if not great, support system for these athletes. Is he taking full advantage of that resource to start with?

He cannot control what others in the media or on message boards are saying but he does have control over his life and actions. If he does not make good choices in those areas (not saying he has or hasn't) then he can expect the criticism to ramp up. People can build assistance plans all day long but eventually the person has to take the initiative to make it happen.
18-19 year olds don't normally think that logically. We expect him to think and act like an adult because legally he is, BUT that isn't what the average college student does. Then you add in the pressure he's under right now and it's tough. I empathize with his situation and hope for nothing but the best for him. I remember all too well some of the stress of my college days and how things could have fallen apart for me at different times. It can be a very difficult time for kids even with a good support structure.

Reactions: bshirt73
18-19 year olds don't normally think that logically. We expect him to think and act like an adult because legally he is, BUT that isn't what the average college student does. Then you add in the pressure he's under right now and it's tough. I empathize with his situation and hope for nothing but the best for him. I remember all too well some of the stress of my college days and how things could have fallen apart for me at different times. It can be a very difficult time for kids even with a good support structure.

That is the truth. Soooooo, so very true. Me & my buddies when at 18 or 19 years old had a "combined" IQ of a Gerbil. It honestly scares me to even recall of those crazy days. It's was so easy to get in trouble then so I try to totally forget about it. My parents were superb but I was out of control. Way to scary......just dumb luck saved my bacon.

Reactions: American Horse

Maurice is gone. Has not been around for a week. Failed drug test leading to a half game suspension. Demanded he play DB now. Major headcase that is no longer.

I guess if I were a current player and the coach said "he needs to recruit better players to run his schems," I might have a problem giving 100% for that coach. He can think it, but publicly saying it is another story. That right there could be considered a leadership problem.
But is he wrong? We've been throttled by both Minnesota and Ohio State now. Ohio State clearly a talent gap. He's right, we need better plays. I personally can't fault the man for being honest. That's been his M.O. the entire time.

You won’t get an argument from me on the logic of 18-19 year old college students. I worked many years with that age group. Here is where your premise breaks down for me.

Most don’t have the support of a college system like Nebraska. My guess is Ron Brown and his staff are heavily involved. He has access to any type of counsel he wants or needs. There is no shortage of persons available to him for advice, setting goals, avoiding additional problems, academic advice, and even legal advice. Now can you tell me “most” 18-19 year olds get that level of mature care?

But is he wrong? We've been throttled by both Minnesota and Ohio State now. Ohio State clearly a talent gap. He's right, we need better plays. I personally can't fault the man for being honest. That's been his M.O. the entire time.
I think in today's society everyone especially the young are use to being coddled, told they are great, given a prize for everything they do or accomplish. So for some seeing Frost not doing this 100% is a shock. I for one have no problem with it. We need strong minded players who are willing to work at 100% all the time. If they don't they should know they can and will be replaced. There is nothing wrong with what Frost is doing in being honest.

If you don't want to lose your spot to someone coming in, get better before he gets here

I think in today's society everyone especially the young are use to being coddled, told they are great, given a prize for everything they do or accomplish. So for some seeing Frost not doing this 100% is a shock. I for one have no problem with it. We need strong minded players who are willing to work at 100% all the time. If they don't they should know they can and will be replaced. There is nothing wrong with what Frost is doing in being honest.
Freakin prrreeeeaaaccchhhh!

Reactions: husker2612
yes. it's reached a point where i hope coach Frost addresses this right off the bat at his 2pm presser. if he doesn't, you know the media will be going to the players and they don't need this.
Why because two unknown people on a message board somehow know more detailed information than has ever been leaked by the staff. I wish these same unknowns knew about our injury situation but for some reason they don't....:(

Reactions: dinglefritz

I disagree, my 6 year old never asked to be coddled...he doesn't know what to expect. His coaches don't want to deal with him so they say good job even when he sucks, his teachers ignore him and tell him good job when he could do better, I suppose his parents say its good enough so they can go play on their phone or watch TV. Kids weren't coddled for the sake of kids, kids are coddled because adults do not want to invest in every kid. The hardest thing to do is have high expectations and then SUPPORT when they don't reach your expectations. The previous generation of adults didn't want to SUPPORT and therefore settled for lowering expectations. And the generation before that had high expectations but failed to support at all which lead to a sink or swim world. Kids love it when you rip them and then care for them...both of these things are hard to do in tandem and therefore we do neither.

Why because two unknown people on a message board somehow know more detailed information than has ever been leaked by the staff. I wish these same unknowns knew about our injury situation but for some reason they don't....:(

You must be new at this if you don’t believe word around Lincoln travels fast.

I don’t know if all the details are correct but Washington has had his issues.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Frost has said since day 1 no player should feel safe with their spot. Held has said, he is going out to recruit guys to replace the starters. I don't think it is a secret this staff is trying to keep. They want guys here who are willing to compete at 100% at all times. If they don't they should know they will be replaced. That isn't a bad thing. That is kind of how the NFL or even life in general works, you better know if you don't do your job to the best of your abilities you will be gone.
I can think of a lot better ways to get your players to go 100% for you rather than throwing them under the bus when the team is struggling. Then to top it off, you say to the media the only way to improve things is to recruit better players. Saying that kind of stuff might work when you're winning. But to say it when your team is struggling just to get to 6-6 and a bowl game is a good way to lose a team.

Reactions: Bruce1981
I can think of a lot better ways to get your players to go 100% for you rather than throwing them under the bus when the team is struggling. Then to top it off, you say to the media the only way to improve things is to recruit better players. Saying that kind of stuff might work when you're winning. But to say it when your team is struggling just to get to 6-6 and a bowl game is a good way to lose a team.
Or maybe get pissed off and take it up another notch and grind everyday to get better so you don't have to worry about 6-6 anymore?

Or maybe get pissed off and take it up another notch and grind everyday to get better so you don't have to worry about 6-6 anymore?
That's on the coaches to get your players to buy in and do that. It doesn't look like that's been accomplished so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT