ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving/ have left

This makes no sense. If the “cancer” left last year and the team improved, why would have to have yet another purge this year? Especially considering their was also a recruiting class of all Frost guys added to the mix as well.
Not all of the guys Frost recruited are going to fit like hoped when they get on campus. It's the nature of bringing in a bunch of 18 year olds and throwing them in a room together. Never mind that they're from all over the country and different backgrounds with expectations of their own.

Reactions: headcard
Again I say, if Nebraska, or any program, has players that are half assing it in practice or games and are still seeing the field, then that is on the coach.
I doubt they're half assing it in practice as much as just not working hard enough off the field to learn their position responsibilites (WRs especially). Frankly some of them might not be football smart enough to do the job and you wouldn't know that until they try to. I'll worry about that IF we see that out of the this year's true freshman next season.

I doubt they're half assing it in practice as much as just not working hard enough off the field to learn their position responsibilites (WRs especially). Frankly some of them might not be football smart enough to do the job and you wouldn't know that until they try to. I'll worry about that IF we see that out of the this year's true freshman next season.
That is still on the coach. If a player isn’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing and are still seeing the field then that is the expectation regardless of what you say as a coach.

That is still on the coach. If a player isn’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing and are still seeing the field then that is the expectation regardless of what you say as a coach.
That's why we aren't seeing some of the WRs see the field. Recently though just due to injuries they've had no choice but to play some of those guys. Walters has talked about it a couple of times in interviews.

Last edited:

I’ll ask again .... the position groups each coach is responsible for getting ready to play have greatly increased in numbers since Frost has taken over and are much larger than they had to deal with at UCF. Are the one on one coaching opportunities being diluted.

It analogous to a teacher all of a sudden having to deal with a large increase in class size to the detriment of the individual students.

I’ll ask again .... the position groups each coach is responsible for getting ready to play have greatly increased in numbers since Frost has taken over and are much larger than they had to deal with at UCF. Are the one on one coaching opportunities being diluted.

It analogous to a teacher all of a sudden having to deal with a large increase in class size to the detriment of the individual students.
At some point, it's on the players. Kade Warner had no problem learning ALL of the WR positions his first year with Frost. Yet guys like Woodyard seem to have problems learning one of the spots in 2 years. You can't spoon feed them unless you're a RB like Jarvis Redwine. Run towards that sideline and we'll pitch it to you Jarvis. They couldn't even tell him right or left. Walters and Frost have gone so far as to just give a certain number of plays for some guys and they still can't seem to execute their job.

Last edited:
At some point, it's on the players. Kade Warner had no problem learning ALL of the WR positions his first year with Frost. Yet guys like Woodyard seem to have problems learning one of the spots in 2 years. You can't spoon feed them unless you're a RB like Jarvis Redwine. Run towards that sideline and we'll pitch it to you Jarvis. They couldn't even tell him right or left. Walter and Frost have gone so far as to just give a certain number of plays for some guys and they still can't seem to execute their job.

It’s a combo of 3 things

1 Scheme is too complicated to easily learn
2 You have recruited players that aren’t capable of learning your scheme
3 You haven’t effectively taught the scheme

The coaches are responsible for all 3. I understand that in the transition some recruiting gambles had to be taken.

I also maintain that the coaches are trying to get B- talent to a B+ level all the while having to deal with a large influx of D level talent they are responsible for as well.

1st year gets rid of the won't do it guys. 2nd year gets rid of the can't do it guys. I'm sure the older guys have been trying, they just arent the caliber of players necessary to withstand the physicality and fundamental soundness across the big 10. Pac 12 players dont hold up. With that said, I highly doubt a major contributor leaves

Reactions: dinglefritz
At some point, it's on the players. Kade Warner had no problem learning ALL of the WR positions his first year with Frost. Yet guys like Woodyard seem to have problems learning one of the spots in 2 years. You can't spoon feed them unless you're a RB like Jarvis Redwine. Run towards that sideline and we'll pitch it to you Jarvis. They couldn't even tell him right or left. Walter and Frost have gone so far as to just give a certain number of plays for some guys and they still can't seem to execute their job.
Being a true freshman, Robinson didn't seem to have a problem learning the offense quickly. There's no excuse for not knowing the playbook period.

Dude, I'm in Frost's corner. That doesn't mean that he and his staff don't make mistakes or could handle some situations better.
all of the reasons you stated are 20 years in the making, not 1.5.

it's fair to feel that way as a fan, but the players likely do not share any of those sentiments.

NU is 4-3, last year were 1-6. it's getting better. zoom out a little.

all of the reasons you stated are 20 years in the making, not 1.5.

it's fair to feel that way as a fan, but the players likely do not share any of those sentiments.

NU is 4-3, last year were 1-6. it's getting better. zoom out a little.

We'll see, won't we?

That's a problem that the staff isn't holding players accountable enough to learn the scheme. You think Nick Saban would continue to play guys who didn't know what they're doing? You can't tell me the players Alabama recruits are smarter than our guys. I think it's an accountability issue rather than an intelligence issue if a large group of players don't know the scheme.

They improved immensely after several players left last season. Gotta have the right mix in the locker room.
The question I ask is why were those guys playing in the first place? Sure it was a net positive when we ended up getting rid of players with bad attitudes like Lindsey and Bell. But those weren't the main reasons for the turnaround. The biggest reason we improved last year were the changes on the Oline and Amart getting healthy. I don't think getting rid of some of your better players midway through the 2nd year is going to help anything.

coming at this from another angle..

Do you see Martinez walk in and take charge of the team again?

or is it Vedral's team now?

the leadership thing has to get solved, before anyone can really make a decision on what to do next.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
This makes no sense. If the “cancer” left last year and the team improved, why would have to have yet another purge this year? Especially considering their was also a recruiting class of all Frost guys added to the mix as well.
Like any cancer, the cell(s) can be dormant waiting to reoccur

Sure let's go ahead and get rid of an upperclassmen low 3 or 4 star player and replace him with a freshman low 3 or 4 star player. At least that way when we lose we can keep making excuses that we're a young team every year.
I can maybe see a Junior leaving but my gut tells me this is going to be more sophomores or redshirt freshmen if we have any left.

Like any cancer, the cell(s) can be dormant waiting to reoccur

Please. This is just another way to buffer any criticism of Frost.
Last year, when the team won 4 of the last 6 and played Ohio St and Iowa close, on the road, the mantra was “see what happens when you get rid of the Riley cancer”.
This year, with the team 4-3 and 2 blow out losses to Ohio St and Minnesota, and a shit the bed loss to Colorado, some want to bring up the Riley cancer again.
I believed this team would be better this year. I thought Martinez would continue to improve in year 2. I thought we could game plan around the less than average OLine and I though the play of Barry, Miller and Honas would be better.

none of that is because there is some sort of losing mentality on this team. It is simply talent based.

Last edited:
Please. This is just another way to buffer and criticism of Frost.
Last year, when the team won 4 of the last 6 and played Ohio St and Iowa close, on the road, the mantra was “see what happens whe. You get rid of the Riley cancer.
This year, with the team 4-3 and 2 blow out losses to Ohio St and Minnesota, and a shit the bed loss to Colorado, some want to bring up the Riley cancer again.
I believed this team would be better this year. I thought Martinez would continue to improve in year 2. I thought we could game plan around the less than average OLine and I though the play of Barry, Miller and Honas would be better.

none of that is because there is some sort of losing mentality on this team. It is simply talent based.

Virtue signalling is alive and well in the fan base

Please. This is just another way to buffer any criticism of Frost.
Last year, when the team won 4 of the last 6 and played Ohio St and Iowa close, on the road, the mantra was “see what happens when you get rid of the Riley cancer”.

I was referring to a losing mentality and poor work ethic being the ‘Cancer’. Didn’t realize it was about Riley.

you didn’t know that all of the players with a “losing mentality” and poor work ethic were recruited by Riley? Perhaps you should pay closer attention to this board
I’m actually in a camp that believes the losing mentality/poor work ethic/boneheaded play/lack of fundamentals has been around since Osborne left. I wish it would stop and it can with the right group of guys and culture. But it takes time to build that culture. I believe we have the right guy in charge. Has he been perfect? No, but I believe in time he’ll get the ship right.

you didn’t know that all of the players with a “losing mentality” and poor work ethic were recruited by Riley? Perhaps you should pay closer attention to this board

It goes way beyond that ... any player recruited by Frost that has even the slightest of exposure to a Riley player is forever tainted. It’s like Ebola

I’m actually in a camp that believes the losing mentality/poor work ethic/boneheaded play/lack of fundamentals has been around since Osborne left. I wish it would stop and it can with the right group of guys and culture. But it takes time to build that culture. I believe we have the right guy in charge. Has he been perfect? No, but I believe in time he’ll get the ship right.

There are examples all over college football of new coaches coming in and winning within 3 years of taking the job.

Accountability is the key to turning something around. You can’t have rules and penalties for some and lesser or no penalties for others.
You can’t get rid of some of the cancer and allow other players who are apparently not working hard and not studying the play book to continue to see the field. That double standard never flies.

it doesn’t have to take multiple years to turn a culture around. But it starts with the coaches and admin holding everyone to a specific standard in attitude and effort and off the field stuff.

There are examples all over college football of new coaches coming in and winning within 3 years of taking the job.

Accountability is the key to turning something around. You can’t have rules and penalties for some and lesser or no penalties for others.
You can’t get rid of some of the cancer and allow other players who are apparently not working hard and not studying the play book to continue to see the field. That double standard never flies.

it doesn’t have to take multiple years to turn a culture around. But it starts with the coaches and admin holding everyone to a specific standard in attitude and effort and off the field stuff.

But it's amazing how fast attitudes change around here. When Frost was hired every one waas cheering on his getting people to leave and saying the right things and instilling that culture. In general he did everything Riley didn't do.

The wins didn't quite shake out how well we imagined and now it's a culture problem again.

It goes way beyond that ... any player recruited by Frost that has even the slightest of exposure to a Riley player is forever tainted. It’s like Ebola
I agree, thats why bad mentality is so hard to remove from a team.

But it's amazing how fast attitudes change around here. When Frost was hired every one waas cheering on his getting people to leave and saying the right things and instilling that culture. In general he did everything Riley didn't do.

The wins didn't quite shake out how well we imagined and now it's a culture problem again.
It has always been a culture problem. People just got over hyped and had unrealistic expectations for how fast a crap program can turn around. I agree Frost is not blameless it all this, but the crap culture has always been here

Strange, Frost could turn UCF around in year 2 but not even close at Nebraska . Must be lack of dominant athletic lineman, edge rush, and smart linebackers.
UCF had no real prior culture to overcome, even though they were not winning. I think there is a lot of talent down here in Florida, you can find players all over the place, and no culture to fight against..

At Nebraska, there isn't talent anywhere, and you have this huge "Big Red Fanbase" that says you gotta do it this way and that and whatever.. this goes to the administration too, it's just an inbred culture that still lives at Nebraska, no matter who is the coach.

So you got talent issues, culture issues, entitlement issues, and now a different conference to contend with too. That's part of it as well.

Reactions: American Horse
UCF also does not play in a big boy conference and believe it or not beating Nebraska is still a big deal. We get opponents best efforts more times than not.

The other thing I think we get is recruiting ratings bumps also. So some marginal 2s become 3 stars and 3s become 4 stars. I believe that is why we see so many whiffs in recruiting. That and our helter skelter recruiting plans from the time Pelini took over

UCF had no real prior culture to overcome, even though they were not winning. I think there is a lot of talent down here in Florida, you can find players all over the place, and no culture to fight against..

At Nebraska, there isn't talent anywhere, and you have this huge "Big Red Fanbase" that says you gotta do it this way and that and whatever.. this goes to the administration too, it's just an inbred culture that still lives at Nebraska, no matter who is the coach.

So you got talent issues, culture issues, entitlement issues, and now a different conference to contend with too. That's part of it as well.
Very good post. Agree 100%.

This program has had half ass it/ weak minded players for years. If we lose some because they can't or don't want to put in the effort that is required by this coaching staff then there is nothing sad about it. Yes, short term it may hurt the team but long term it is for the best. Until everyone of those players are gone this team and program will never get better. Not everyone is cut out for the mental or physical demand of college athletics.

Ever think the opposite could be true? Could it be the players leaving "a program" are the ones who are serious and trying to get out of a screwed up environment. Everyone assumes theirs is good though.

I have no problems with a kid leaving. It's their life, not mine. Things change, life changes, we have the same opportunity to pick guys up as everyone else. I do tire of the label they didn't work hard weren't a team guy, the light bulb never came in, etc, etc. As fans we are clueless about someone else's life and situation.

Ever think the opposite could be true? Could it be the players leaving "a program" are the ones who are serious and trying to get out of a screwed up environment. Everyone assumes theirs is good though.

I have no problems with a kid leaving. It's their life, not mine. Things change, life changes, we have the same opportunity to pick guys up as everyone else. I do tire of the label they didn't work hard weren't a team guy, the light bulb never came in, etc, etc. As fans we are clueless about someone else's life and situation.

100% it very well could be. Anything is possible. However based on what we saw under Riley and what we saw the first half of last year I doubt that is the reasoning. It also depends who is leaving. If it is Frosts recruits, yes your theory could be validated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT