Players leaving/ have left

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by husker2612, Oct 18, 2019.

1. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I brought this up a while back and as usual for this board I was called something unflattering.

The reality is you don't get more coaches because you have more players. Reps for each in practice have to be reduced. Contact with the position coach have to necessarily be limited by your total numbers. At some point the bigger numbers become counter productive. There is a sweet spot but I have no idea what it would be. We are nearing double total scholarships allowed with the same number of coaches.

2. dand84

dand84 Senior
    Expand Collapse

At the risk of this getting buried, since we have turned to culture, I think the following 2 articles are an interesting read from Chris Dishman. After reading those articles, you can get a feel for what a winning culture was like. The thing I got out of it was who was actually responsible for instilling that culture? To me, it wasn't the coaches (well maybe initially and as reinforcement), it was the players that have to carry it forward and instill it in everyone in every position group. I don't think we have those leaders today right now. Not that we can't develop them.

https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-dishman-part-1/
    https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-dishman-part-2/

NikkiSixx and EATAFAT1 like this.
  3. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Apparently it has spread to the lymph nodes.. :Cool:

4. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx All-American
    Expand Collapse

I did a little bit of digging around. Frost has some complaints about guys not following the leadership, and stating that his QB's also need to get better at it.

I hate to break it to people, but if guys aren't willing to follow the leader, there is pretty much nothing you're going to do to change that.

Think of someone you know in a leadership role, that you don't like and couldn't follow. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to make you follow that person, because your instincts just say not to.

This is why I hope Martinez is the one not coming back.

You can cut the guys that won't follow him, but I'm not sure that makes you a stronger team.

I would rather see them build on what Vedral has done and see how the freshman looks.

I hate to see people use the word cancer, but if people are going to refer to a problem as that, then from my view, Martinez is where that tumor begins.

5. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Everything gets blamed on the kids

6. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I do understand this logic and it there very well could be some truth to it. However I would hope that we have skilled talented coaches who are able to recognize the type of athletes mentally and physically that they want. The goal in having this many kids is not to be able to rep/ coach them all equally. The goal is to be able to have a talent pool to choose from. Basically have an A B C and D squat at every position. The main coaches are focused, reping and coaching up the A and B squads. Other assistants and helpers (not sure if there is also a limit on these assistants like coaches) in charge of the C and D. Yes Frost and the other coaches are going and assisting with the lower groups, but majority of their time is spend on the A and B groups. Remember the goal here is to have system in place where everyone knows what they are suppose to be doing. So in reality no groups should need a ton of attention from the coach. In theory the older guys are teaching the younger guys in every group. If a player from C and D are starting to stand out they get bumped up. If a player from A and B are under performing they get moved down. So a high number of players shouldn't be taking away from coaches time once the system gets up and running at 100%. Just my opinion

86 husker2612, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. Wannabee8

Wannabee8 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

8. mrruffin10

mrruffin10 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Just as if you thought short term success was possible you must have long term stupidity. This is a complete rebuild.

9. jlb321

Expand Collapse

Yes .. thank you for the reminder. Whenever I get impatient I need to remind myself to go back and read all the articles and posts after the hire predicting 4 wins in year 1 and MAYBE ???? (fingers crossed) a bowl game in year 2

89 jlb321, Oct 20, 2019
  10. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

You chose it read it that way, because you want to be outraged at everything the staff says or does. Frost is saying they (the coaches) need to get their team ready to play and they need to recruit better.

11. jlb321

Expand Collapse

I wasn’t outraged when he said we were better at every position group versus last year or that we would contend for the division this year.

Bruce1981 likes this.
  12. Mack In Motion

Expand Collapse

3 page thread. 0 players leaving.

13. SoFL Husker

SoFL Husker Defensive Coordinator
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Again, I bring up my nephew's AF team. Travels to HI, beats the shit out of the Rainbow Warriors with their last string QB, who incidentally, is better than the starters IMO.

They have a WR who runs a legit 10.7 100m. They have a FB with breakaway speed. They are big upfront. Real talent and real coaching (Calhoun).

It's gonna take Nebraska awhile to get a semblance of AF on the field, and these kids are just 5-2 with a tough schedule (losses to Navy and Boise).

Frost sees what we have and what we need.

Unless he puts up a big time recruiting class and gets rid of ALL the legacy suck on this team, Riley or Frost recruited, Nebraska is going to stink. Desperate times create desperate measures.

14. SoFL Husker

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Coachspeak, but it does make me question Frost's credibility. His style. He's a young HC in a tough racket and he'd better figure out how to motivate kids to play a man's game. I see players who don't look very inspired. They make mistakes. They don't seem engaged. I don't see many guys looking like they are having fun on the field playing intense football.

15. BuckysBoys1

BuckysBoys1 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

The player Dirk is talking about is Mo Washington. He decided he wasnt going to practice last week. And nobody knows where he went! The leadership problem lies squarely on the shoulders of Scott Frost. As a "leader" you don't allow your best player to walk all over you. Mo doesn't like the training table food, so he gets to get his food delivered to his house from Chipotle and Chick-fil-A. Nobody is buying in with crap like this being allowed. And dude doesn't even go to workouts!!

Huskred01 likes this.
  16. Hedley Lemar

Hedley Lemar Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If that is true, talented or not, you show that guy the door. Sh*t like that undermines the team.

17. kidofSN

kidofSN Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Does Frost think he is giving Washington to same chances he feels Osborne gave Phillips but obviously going about differently and WRONG??

18. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I think we need to address alcoholism on this board. Seriously, how many of these posters are drunk multiple times a week as they type.

19. JPR95

JPR95 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

What, Seriously? Doesn’t sound like Frost at all.

20. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Well, reality doesn't fit the narrative you suggest. Players coaching players? It is called technique and there is a reason we have coaches in the first place. Who in this O line do you see teaching technique and getting footwork, hand placement and timing perfected?

With all the walk-ons who had few offers you have raw talent that needs to be developed even more. Giving them less will lead to less.

If you are hoping one or two to develop out of the large pool, this can happen with maturity in some kids, hard work and learning a system but it is not the norm. If your recruiting is very good, then that severely limits those odds.

At any level of sports you have to coach and teach the finer aspects of the game. That's what coaches get paid to do. They don't just run them through a bunch of drills. There are limited numbers if coaches who can be on the field by NCAA and at every level is sports I am aware of. They can only do so much. So having big numbers certainly is not a guarantee of success.

21. oldjar07

oldjar07 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Don't care about the food, but if he's missing practices show his ass the door. He's nowhere near a good enough player to pull that shit. Should have been shown the door when his problems first showed up.

MitchLL likes this.
  22. slwags

slwags Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I expect Vedral to be playing in South Dakota next year.

Top_Gun_ likes this.
  23. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

noah vedral is hapless and played like absolute garbage in his big chance

next time you do some digging, make sure it's your grave

103 Top_Gun_, Oct 20, 2019
  24. uberism1111

uberism1111 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Frost stood by him to help him get to campus and so did support staff. A lot of people put in a lot of effort and time to help lead him in the right direction. Eventually there comes a time hard choices have to be made for the betterment of the program.

headcard likes this.
  25. Mack In Motion

Expand Collapse

I don't know that he played that poorly, but it was obvious the entire game Minnesota knew that under no circumstances was he going to throw the ball down the field. That's beyond limiting for this offense; it's a back breaker.

He's quite a bit faster than Martinez but that doesn't help when your opponent only has to defend within 20 yards of the LOS.

26. Npower

Npower Newbie
    Expand Collapse

So eh.. who's leaving?

Dominator4321 likes this.
  27. tpmcg

tpmcg Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

more bs.
    less reality.

28. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

BS....the chances that a single player on the team knows this information is zero..some coaches wouldn't even be privy to this information. Only Frost, position coach, and nutritionist would know this...plus...even if a player leaves the other players do not know what is going on...he might be gone for any reason. And even if you were in the inner circle there are plenty of reasons why Mo might have missed workouts this year. The rumors are just that...and it just points out how bad the talent is that they can't let the head coach deal with a talented player in his own way without it "disrupting them". It certainly hasn't effect Wandale and he is a freshman so decent players with any sort of will are going to put up with creative ways to deal with talented players. This isn't little league where everybody needs to be treated the same and get a trophy. Mo is a supremely talented player, we win when he plays well, we lose when he doesn't. If sucky ass players throw a fit they need to STHU and GTFO. Talent wins...talent wins...talent wins....

Jhollenbeck41, Savedatmoney and 5712 like this.
  29. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Well, sounds like Mo might be gone. So thats 1 I guess.

Mack In Motion and Huskred01 like this.
  30. Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I know I hit it hard with SoFL and Moos several times a week before I post

CatColumbia and SoFL Husker like this.
  31. nwualum

nwualum Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I also heard Mo is gone.

leodisflowers likes this.
  32. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Mo is talented, but I could see how his act would piss off guys doing things the right way. I hope it isn’t true and that he cleans up his act, reaches his potential and has a long NFL career. But it is beyond time for him to shit or get off the pot.

33. SoFL Husker

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Phillips played hard and showed up on Saturday, but enough was enough.

If it's Mo, it could be good for the team morale.

Need a new avatar.

113 SoFL Husker, Oct 20, 2019
    husker2612 likes this.
  34. SC_'sker

SC_'sker Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Frost has given Mo plenty of opportunities to succeed and didn't rush to judgement when the legal troubles came about. Just seems like a real dick move to quit going to workouts and just be an ass in general. I've been a big #FreeMo guy, but if all that stuff is true then he better be packing his bags.

Top_Gun_ and headcard like this.
  35. SPbObRT

SPbObRT Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

my god people some of you want AM GONE and he was hailed as a hero last year, now you want him gone, of course there will be some people leave, I fully expect MO to be one of those because of this off the field issue. other than that if someone wants to go another route then so be it, let's not make such a big deal about it, hell it happens everyyear. why shuld this be bigger then any other year. all you armchair coaches should go out and get a real job in my opinion.

36. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I wish him the best of luck at Oregon State.

Bruce1981, Thomud, husker2612 and 3 others like this.
  37. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Well done

38. PeliniTheCrutch

PeliniTheCrutch First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Well, if I post multiple times a week, then I’m in that group.

headcard likes this.
  39. Mack In Motion

Expand Collapse

?

SWIowahawks likes this.
  40. F5Tornado

F5Tornado Senior
    Expand Collapse

Quick, somebody dial the HTO hotline and get the real scoop, right away! ;)