ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lancaster County property tax 2017 values

BigRedPimp

All-American
Sep 5, 2006
Any Lancaster County homeowners take a peek at their 2017 projected property tax assessment? If so, painful increase coming assuming don't appeal?

Any Lancaster County homeowners take a peek at their 2017 projected property tax assessment? If so, painful increase coming assuming don't appeal?

Look closely at the "land" value to see if it's correct. My neighbors (but not mine) have their land value doubled, which makes no sense as mine went up a little bit, but the "building" went down. Something is fishy with that. I am lucky as the total went down.

Look closely at the "land" value to see if it's correct. My neighbors (but not mine) have their land value doubled, which makes no sense as mine went up a little bit, but the "building" went down. Something is fishy with that. I am lucky as the total went down.
Land went up 22% and building went up 9%.

Had similar increases in Buffalo county. I highly recommend protesting your assessment. Bring data.

Had similar increases in Buffalo county. I highly recommend protesting your assessment. Bring data.
No it's just your turn as residential. AG took the several years ago and are still out of line. I will hate to see what happens to the levy when values go down.

Valuations and levies mean nothing. It's the tax asking dollar and the spending that matters.

Glad I moved out of buffalo county right as the new appraiser was going stupid with his appraisal values. Kearney is a nice town, but my Lord everything in that town is so over priced its stupid.

I live in Sarpy County and I pay $7,600 in property tax...outrageous!

I am scared to look.

It's quite a racket they've got going over there with LPS and the city. If you pay attention to it, they take turns. Every single year, there is a reason to raise property taxes. Bond issue for this, bond issue for that. When they take a year off like this year, that's when they hit you with a valuation increase. LPS, for its part, is rich with money thanks to the work their lobbyists have done to manipulate the state aid formulas. Who else has budget surpluses these days in public education?

Property taxes are out of control and the sad thing is nothing will be done about it as long as our governor wants to also cut income taxes at the same time.

Glad I moved out of buffalo county right as the new appraiser was going stupid with his appraisal values. Kearney is a nice town, but my Lord everything in that town is so over priced its stupid.

Without a doubt. Don't even get me started on gas $$.

How easy is it to appeal? The valuation on my home went up. I finally mustered up the courage to look up my home's valuation and it was far worse than I would ever had expected it to be. It is outrageous what they are trying to pull off on the tax payer this year.

Anyone else check?

My buffalo county assessment up over 60 grand since 2012 when I bought the place with no improvements. Ooof
It's suppose to be 94 percent of the evaluation on the home. You should have a good idea if it should have went up by the houses selling in the area.

I am in NW Omaha and many people are saying their values went up $50,000 this year (2017). I know in 2016 everyone in West Omaha went up a fixed percent due to the state requiring it. I just looked up my 2017 numbers and my land went from $30k to $40k (all my neighbors did). They dropped my building value though by $30k so my total value went down $20k. Go figure.

I live in Collin County, TX and my taxes skyrocketed between 15 and 16. My home value has as well, but it's still a bitter pill.

How easy is it to appeal? The valuation on my home went up. I finally mustered up the courage to look up my home's valuation and it was far worse than I would ever had expected it to be. It is outrageous what they are trying to pull off on the tax payer this year.

Anyone else check?

It looks like they took three recent sales in our neighborhood and put my valuation in the middle of those three figures. The trouble is now my tax valuation is $20,000 higher than any websites assessment and they always say those websites are a little high. I looked at the three comps. One house went for a ridiculous amount, probably $50,000 more than it's value and $100,000 more than it's government valuation and that is what hurt the rest of us. All it takes is one buyer who spends way too much and the rest of the taxpayers lose.

Reactions: saluno22
Looked at mine the other night (I live in NW Omaha) and my land tripled in value (according to them). The improvements stayed the same so my property taxes will go even higher. Haven't decided what to do as far as protesting though. I'm 6 years from retirement and as I move closer I'm sure I'll be looking at other locations (states) where I"m not taxed to death (and after).

I personally know people that grow up in nebraska and jobs take them to other states. When they retire they move back and lasted about a year because nebraskas taxes are so crappy they couldn't live how they wanted.

Anyone else check?

I appealed (and won) last year, the process is relatively easy. I bought a house in Sarpy county with plans to renovate. It was a big fixer upper and we knew it had issues. As renovations can go, fixing one problem lead to three others, we eventually tore the damned thing down and started over from scratch. During that time, somehow our property value went up! There wasn't even a damn house on the property anymore!

So I went to the county website, called the number asked what the steps were (they were helpful, but said that I didn't have much of a chance - which I think is standard practice). Filled out a form and sent some pictures in. Which lead to a hearing. The poor guys at the hearing looked like kicked puppies because they do the all the protests in a couple of days, so these guys are just hating life. I was super polite and explained the situation. They said I had a case and that went to a board review. They approved my request and my taxes lowered for the year.

Unfortunately, my taxes have raised again even though the house is not yet finished. I am not sure if I will protest this year, but I am considering it.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Personally I think it is boarderline criminal what they are trying to do with property taxes right now. There is probably another mini housing bubble coming and I am sure that they wanted to make sure they could look in some revenue before some valuations go flat for a while. You have seen that with farm ground in the state of Nebraska.

We will be appealing this week and will have a strong argument as we refinanced in July and the appraised value was approx. 20K lower than what the assessed value was they posted, and using the 94% rule that should be about a 30K difference. Funny thing about ours was they value of the structure went down slightly and the value of the land went up 33.3%.

I would like to see LPS reign in their spending, but I know that is a pipe dream. This is truly ridiculous!

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Personally I think it is boarderline criminal what they are trying to do with property taxes right now. There is probably another mini housing bubble coming and I am sure that they wanted to make sure they could look in some revenue before some valuations go flat for a while. You have seen that with farm ground in the state of Nebraska.

We will be appealing this week and will have a strong argument as we refinanced in July and the appraised value was approx. 20K lower than what the assessed value was they posted, and using the 94% rule that should be about a 30K difference. Funny thing about ours was they value of the structure went down slightly and the value of the land went up 33.3%.

I would like to see LPS reign in their spending, but I know that is a pipe dream. This is truly ridiculous!

You are spot on with the housing bubble coming. A recession is looming (we can't falsely prop the economy with stimulus packages forever) and so is another mortgage crisis (the banks are doing the same thing as they did before). Raising property taxes will only exacerbate the problem.

I believe they typically review for assessment every 3 years. However their latest stance was that with the recent run up in home values they're going a year early. So when prices are up they review early so as to capture max property tax. I'm guessing if property values are down they'll go 3 or more years so they can live off prior high home values. It is quite a racket.

I swear there's going to be another Tea Party and it won't be in the Boston Harbor either.

I appealed (and won) last year, the process is relatively easy. I bought a house in Sarpy county with plans to renovate. It was a big fixer upper and we knew it had issues. As renovations can go, fixing one problem lead to three others, we eventually tore the damned thing down and started over from scratch. During that time, somehow our property value went up! There wasn't even a damn house on the property anymore!

So I went to the county website, called the number asked what the steps were (they were helpful, but said that I didn't have much of a chance - which I think is standard practice). Filled out a form and sent some pictures in. Which lead to a hearing. The poor guys at the hearing looked like kicked puppies because they do the all the protests in a couple of days, so these guys are just hating life. I was super polite and explained the situation. They said I had a case and that went to a board review. They approved my request and my taxes lowered for the year.

Unfortunately, my taxes have raised again even though the house is not yet finished. I am not sure if I will protest this year, but I am considering it.

Thanks for the information. I'm hopeful that I'll have a successful appeal. The problem as I see it is two of the three houses in my comp that shouldn't be there. Not sure if that's an area up to debate?

Thanks for the information. I'm hopeful that I'll have a successful appeal. The problem as I see it is two of the three houses in my comp that shouldn't be there. Not sure if that's an area up to debate?

I'm not sure about your situation because mine was so cut and dry. Clearly not having a house on the property made the value less. Discussing valuations with comps is something I haven't dealt with.

hell pretty sure my rental property gonna go up by 6%, when did lincoln get expensive?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT