ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney Star Wars Announcements

Feb 11, 2023
Any fellow Star Wars fans here... What are your thoughts on the latest Disney SW Celebration TV show and movie announcements? Any excitement for the Ahsoka trailer? A lot of SW fans I know are done with new Disney SW content at this point. Personally, I think Disney should have made the Thrawn Trilogy instead of their own ST (Yes, I know they would have to recast the OT characters). The Heir to the Empire characters are far more interesting than any two dimensional characters Disney has churned out. I think it's telling that Disney has no faith in their own characters so they have to drag out characters from the EU (that they originally discarded).

Reactions: BigRedTed
I love the original star wars trilogy. Episode 1-3 were cringy but It helps to pull the backstory together. I enjoyed the new 3. I dont understand the hate. I think it's really good. I just watched Solo and enjoyed learning about Han, chewie and Landos backstories. I'm super glad they're making all of these movies and shows, I've never understood Star Wars as I do now!

I hope Kathleen Kennedy gets forced out, but I'm excited for everything announced.

Ofc Ashoka is the next big thing coming. Super excited for thrawn, ghost crew and a continuation of that.

Totally excited for the movies as well. Especially the new ones covering previous eras.

With the Rey movie I'm hoping it's more cohesive than the sequels.

I grew up liking star wars but fell in love with the prequels and my favorite movie is revenge of the sith followed by empire strikes back and return of the Jedi.

Also rogue one and solo are great.

Love all the Disney plus series show with book of boba Fett being the weakest but sill love it.

Ofc the clone wars series and rebels which predate Disney plus are must watches as well.

And OMG I've typed a whole novel. Lol. Sorry I'm a huge star wars nerd.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
and
Revenge of the Jedi, are the only real Star Wars movies...all others suck dead donkey sweaty balls and never should have been made and diminish the franchise.
I liked the first three like you mentioned, but I am amazed how much people care about this crap 40 years later. The movies were good and a little bit ahead of their time, but nothing special.

That's why I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and the EU. It introduced dynamic characters and took the story in a new direction. I was quite disappointed to watch TFA and see a lazy rehash of SW.

The Force Awakens was okay though nothing special. Basically a inferior copy of the original movie. I'm fairly certain that The Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker were the first drafts written by a five year old that became movies without any editing. Honestly I don't even consider the sequels Star Wars. More like a well funded, badly written fanfic.

Oh and take JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy and put them on a ship on a collision course with the nearest star. Please and thank you...

Rant and jokes aside - To respond more to your original post I think the Thrawn trilogy would have been much better than what we got. Or the trilogy that Lucas had planned. Or basically anything I can come up with in my head... lol.

Have you read the more recent trilogy of books about Thrawn himself? Those were pretty good

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Time Lurker
I love the original star wars trilogy. Episode 1-3 were cringy but It helps to pull the backstory together. I enjoyed the new 3. I dont understand the hate. I think it's really good. I just watched Solo and enjoyed learning about Han, chewie and Landos backstories. I'm super glad they're making all of these movies and shows, I've never understood Star Wars as I do now!
Star Wars: The Holiday Special was better than Episode 1.

I’ve been a big Star Wars fan since the originals. Trying to stay invested, but episode 8 started to lose me and episode 9 was like someone took a dump on my childhood.

I’ve liked Disney+ subplots, rogue one, mandalorian, & andor so I’m still holding out hope they can pull it all together. But my expectations aren’t very high after the last 2 movies.

Star Wars: The Holiday Special was better than Episode 1.
I was young at the time but I vaguely remember some of the backlash Phantom Menace received...

In retrospect I wish it was better received (and well just a better movie) Reception to the prequels must have caused Lucas a lot of heartbreak and I wonder if that's part of the reason Lucas sold out to the mouse ears...

Reactions: BradWesley
Actually i think Andor and the Mandalorian are both really good.
Haven't seen either but heard good things. Will add your recommendation to others I've seen lol. Been meaning to watch them for a long time now. Missed a lot of the baby Yoda jokes

I was one of the nerds that was into SW (including the PT and EU) as a kid. I collected SW stuff and defended it when it was uncool to do so. I get defensive when Disney tells me that SW is no longer for me, the PT sucked, and the EU is no more, but then takes the characters and stories and tries to resell them. Make your own new crappy version of SW, but leave the EU and PT out of it.

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
and
Revenge of the Jedi, are the only real Star Wars movies...all others suck dead donkey sweaty balls and never should have been made and diminish the franchise.
Plus almost or atleast most things Disney touches these days

I was one of the nerds that was into SW (including the PT and EU) as a kid. I collected SW stuff and defended it when it was uncool to do so. I get defensive when Disney tells me that SW is no longer for me, the PT sucked, and the EU is no more, but then takes the characters and stories and tries to resell them. Make your own new crappy version of SW, but leave the EU and PT out of it.

TerribleOldArkshell-max-1mb.gif

Plus almost or atleast most things Disney touches these days
Maybe Disney should have stuck to animated movies instead of Star Wars movies. It might be the nostalgia talking but give me a late 80's-90s animated Disney movie over basically any Disney movie I see today. Lion King, Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid etc.

Last edited:
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
and

Lmso

Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One are better than any of the original movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: inWV
Read quite a few EU books growing up and I still do on occasion. Prequels had some problems but I think they get more flak than they deserve. Partially due to The Phantom Menace being the return to Star Wars that people had been waiting for. Revenge of the Sith was pretty good by any standard imo

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I’ve been a big Star Wars fan since the originals. Trying to stay invested, but episode 8 started to lose me and episode 9 was like someone took a dump on my childhood.

I’ve liked Disney+ subplots, rogue one, mandalorian, & andor so I’m still holding out hope they can pull it all together. But my expectations aren’t very high after the last 2 movies.

Thats cause you dont understand Star Wars.

Luke portrayal in Eps 8 was perfect based on the the knowledge he had. The story just sucked.

You want him to be the same person 30 years later with knowledge that the Jedi were at fault. Yoda did t tell him the truth until he was older.

The last 4 episodes of season 7 of Clone Wars and Twilight of the Apprentice are as good as anything Star Wars has made.

And that was Disney.

Agree with above that Disney made some good animated stuff. For some reason when I try and quote messages on my phone it goes wacky lol. Not a fan of the last two mainline Disney movies so agree to disagree there

On a side note there are still rumors floating around about a KOTOR remake. Hope it gets done and done well. It's definitely worth a playthrough if any of you are gamers. Hell of a plot twist too that I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't played

Last edited:
Agree with above that Disney made some good animated stuff. For some reason when I try and quote messages on my phone it goes wacky lol. Not a fan of the last two mainline Disney movies so agree to disagree there

Me neither. They had a easy homerun and tripped on 3rd base with the last 2 movies.

Its unacceptable that Rey was not Luke and Mara Jade's daughter.

Especially when you brought Grand Admiral Thrawn into the series.

Ah yeah sorry I read your comment wrong lol. I won't want Luke to be the same after 30 years either. But turning the hopeful, idealistic Luke into a grumpy old man who abandoned his twin sister and throwing his lightsaber off a cliff for a cheap joke wasn't what I wanted to see either. Needed to have some kind of change but wish they had taken it in a better direction...

Would have loved to have seen Mara Jade and Luke on the big screen going up against Thrawn. But considering Disney's treatment of the EU I'm not surprised. I love seeing Palps on screen but was pretty apparent he was hastily added to make up for killing off Snoke.

There was no thought out story for the sequel as a whole and it shows. Johnson and Abrams remind me of two babies trying to one up each other, lol.

It is apparent that Disney had no vision for SW other than tarnishing the legacy of Luke and Han. They should have waited on Ep. 7 until they had a clear story outline for an entire trilogy. There are so many characters and plot lines in the TFA that go nowhere that it makes the movie fairly unwatchable today.

Star Wars has a special place in my childhood. I'm getting burned out with it though. It doesn't help that Boba Fett series was terrible(in my opinion) and now the Madalorian is boring as hell all the sudden. Ahsoka looks decent however...

Hayden Christensen and Adam Driver were whiny, insufferable betas trying to act like alphas in the second and third trilogies that were out

Different casting in their two roles would have went a long way in making those movies better

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Disney and Kathleen Kennedy ruined the franchise. I watched the Force Awakens in theaters and thought it sucked. Havent seen anything after that.

FA was fine it's the follow up that sucked.

Eventhough there were great parts in those movies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT