ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Craft Brewery

aNUstart

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 24, 2017
Orange County
I like craft beers and enjoy hitting local breweries. I like a variety of styles and can drink almost anything (I may find a beer that I don't want to order again, but will still drink it). The other day I ordered a beer off the "new beers" section from a local brewery I've frequented many times over the years and did not like it AT ALL. It was a west coast IPA, nothing crazy. It was really bitter and the aftertaste was like licking feet. I've never returned a beer there but after about three drinks I took it back to the bar and said it tasted bad. They said they would still have to charge me for it, and that I could have tried a sample first. I told them I never bother with samples because I've never had a beer there I didn't like. That didn't matter to them so I was pissed off and closed my tab (and went to the competition next door). On one hand I see their point that they can't keep giving people free beer if someone decides they don't like what they ordered, but I also don't like the fact that they basically blamed me - "hey, it's not our fault you ordered our crappy beer, you could have sampled it first". I have no idea if the distribution lines were dirty, or the beer was just something I didn't like. Since this is the first time I recall sending a craft beer back I don't have other experiences to compare, so I guess my question is, is this a normal approach at craft brewers? And I'm only talking about craft beers because I know there are times at a regular bar when a basic domestic lager might taste bad because the keg has gone flat or some other distribution issue that would cause a person to send a beer back.

what brewery?
Which beer?

We better get @9and4 in here for a craft IPA expert opinion
He gave a clue of heading to the competition next door. Could be Pint 9/Kros Strain in Papillion. They are in the same building right next door to one another.

The closest I came to your situation NU happened at a downtown Omaha brewery. There beers were all kind of good and then I ordered the winter warmer. Holy crap did it suck. It was real boozy and flavored with FENNEL! Yuck. I gutted it down and finished with some light stuff to cleanse my palate.

Reactions: aNUstart
West coast IPAs all taste like dirt to me. Heavy and hoppy. Very popular in my area which is one of the reasons I switched to hard cider.

WHAT IS A WEST COAST IPA?​

West Coast IPAs are traditionally known for their bold hop aroma, high bitterness, and citrus and piney notes and flavors. They’re typically brewed with higher amounts of hops in the boil kettle, which leads to the high bitterness, and a mid-palate hop flavor. Hops are still added to the beer after fermentation to provide more aroma and little bitterness, but the proportions are more equal between the two.

West coast IPAs all taste like dirt to me. Heavy and hoppy. Very popular in my area which is one of the reasons I switched to hard cider.

WHAT IS A WEST COAST IPA?​

West Coast IPAs are traditionally known for their bold hop aroma, high bitterness, and citrus and piney notes and flavors. They’re typically brewed with higher amounts of hops in the boil kettle, which leads to the high bitterness, and a mid-palate hop flavor. Hops are still added to the beer after fermentation to provide more aroma and little bitterness, but the proportions are more equal between the two.

I know I've had West Coast IPA's before, but it's not a style I drink often. Maybe I shouldn't blame them for the beer being too bitter, since that's what the style is know for. But it was the aftertaste that really ruined it for me.

I actually like W.C. IPA's. The best I've had is by Green Flash Brewing.

W.C. IPA's aren't for everyone and that could be said for IPA's as well. First time I had one I didn't enjoy it but the second time my palete knew what to expect and I've enjoyed them ever since.

I like craft beers and enjoy hitting local breweries. I like a variety of styles and can drink almost anything (I may find a beer that I don't want to order again, but will still drink it). The other day I ordered a beer off the "new beers" section from a local brewery I've frequented many times over the years and did not like it AT ALL. It was a west coast IPA, nothing crazy. It was really bitter and the aftertaste was like licking feet. I've never returned a beer there but after about three drinks I took it back to the bar and said it tasted bad. They said they would still have to charge me for it, and that I could have tried a sample first. I told them I never bother with samples because I've never had a beer there I didn't like. That didn't matter to them so I was pissed off and closed my tab (and went to the competition next door). On one hand I see their point that they can't keep giving people free beer if someone decides they don't like what they ordered, but I also don't like the fact that they basically blamed me - "hey, it's not our fault you ordered our crappy beer, you could have sampled it first". I have no idea if the distribution lines were dirty, or the beer was just something I didn't like. Since this is the first time I recall sending a craft beer back I don't have other experiences to compare, so I guess my question is, is this a normal approach at craft brewers? And I'm only talking about craft beers because I know there are times at a regular bar when a basic domestic lager might taste bad because the keg has gone flat or some other distribution issue that would cause a person to send a beer back.
A brewery should always give you another beer for free. I’ve only sent a beer back a couple times, but both times they gave me a different beer for free.

Reactions: aNUstart
I can see both sides here. You could have asked for a sample. If you barely drank any though they could have gave you something else. I used to drink a bunch of West Coast IPAs. I had to build up to them. It is an acquired taste. Now I mostly drink New England hazy IPAs. Smoother, juicier, refreshing. What I hate are places that don't give you a sample. One place in Elkhorn is like that plus their beer is overpriced and undersized.

But did they? Maybe they served him a bad batch. Server should have at least tried it to verify the taste was correct.
Yeah, the bartender's attitude really bugged me. No "sorry that you didn't enjoy it", it was simply "owner's policy - you could have sampled it first". If I go back I will be sure to get three or four samples before making my decision, you know, just to be safe.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
A good manager would’ve happily swapped that beer out for you. It was an opportunity for them to gain in goodwill and instead they probably lost a customer for life. It’s incredible how short sighted business owners can be sometimes.

A good manager would’ve happily swapped that beer out for you. It was an opportunity for them to gain in goodwill and instead they probably lost a customer for life. It’s incredible how short sighted business owners can be sometimes.
Exactly. I'm usually a low-maintenance customer who tips reasonably well, now I'll choose to spend my money elsewhere - there are plenty of breweries in town, including Pint 9 next door.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT