ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best kept secret pregame spot=Tico's

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Loved the place in college and it never disappoints. We went there before the game and there was virtually nobody else in there. Great food IMO. You can sit in the bar and watch a couple of games on TV. Great service. Easy walk to the stadium from there if you want. Not sure why they aren't busier but man, LOVE that place.

Get the enchilada torte and the cheese Chile rellenos!! Best Chile Rellenos I've had anywhere! Most have too eggy of a crust for me, these are super fantastic and the right balance between crispy and chewy. Dude good call dingle!

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree, just a little too far from the action which explains the lack of foot traffic, but certainly locals, who don't want to put up with amateur hour, it would be a great place to hit for an hour or two.

My mom took me there for the famous Ticoritto back in the 1970's. They have been around for-ev-er.

Reactions: ADV1
Forgot about that place. Used to go there way back when, as well. Haven't had a margarita for a while...that sounds good.

Ticos sucks. Maybe it's good for out of Towner's because it's close to downtown and you can drink, watch games, and eat what the menu claims is Mexican food?

Reactions: Lincoln gopher
Ticos sucks. Maybe it's good for out of Towner's because it's close to downtown and you can drink, watch games, and eat what the menu claims is Mexican food?
Interesting that you write it is good for out-of-towners. When I go back for a game my friends who live in Lincoln always want to meet at Tico’s after the game. Living here in Eastern Washington with a Hispanic population that runs about 29% we do not lack good Mexican restaurants. If you ever get a chance try some Mexican food cooked like they do in the state of Oaxaca. Most of the owners of our Mexican restaurants come from Jalisco, but we have one restaurant that specializes in Oaxacan food and it is pretty good. They use a lot of moles.

Last edited:
Love Ticos. And no, it is not authentic “Mexican” food. Like most “Mexican” restaurants in the United States it is TexMex food. But TexMex is a thoroughly legit and unique food style that began in the border regions of Texas 100 years ago and it is a true fusion food combining two cultures. I love TexMex. Oh… and I have lived in Mexico and love authentic Mexican food too. Like Italy, Mexico’s food styles are regional with all kinds of variations. Love it all. Probably why I am 20 pounds too fat.

I love Mexican food but for pregame stuff I want the play to be packed with fans.

Ticos = yum....and again, food snobs are the worst.
Agree food snobs can suck, but Ticos is just not that good imo. Not from from an authentic snob point of view. It just is overpriced and meh. Similar to Lees chicken. Might have been good some year. Now just riding that nostalgia train for all it's worth.
But if some enjoy it? To each their own. I would just eat at El Toro, or Mazatlan, or Las Margaritas, or El Porto before Ticos.
But for out of Towner's I can see the appeal of being walking distance to the stadium etc.

Agree, just a little too far from the action which explains the lack of foot traffic, but certainly locals, who don't want to put up with amateur hour, it would be a great place to hit for an hour or two.
We like to avoid "the action". Nothing says gameday downtown like piss soaked restrooms. bad cheeseburgers and lines for a drink.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Agree food snobs can suck, but Ticos is just not that good imo. Not from from an authentic snob point of view. It just is overpriced and meh. Similar to Lees chicken. Might have been good some year. Now just riding that nostalgia train for all it's worth.
But if some enjoy it? To each their own. I would just eat at El Toro, or Mazatlan, or Las Margaritas, or El Porto before Ticos.
But for out of Towner's I can see the appeal of being walking distance to the stadium etc.
Over priced? Not in my book. I don't know where those other places are at. All I know is Tico's is good and it's close enough to the stadium to walk to and from the game. Love the seasoned chips and being able to watch a couple of other games in the bar. Always have great service.

Ticos = yum....and again, food snobs are the worst.
I hated it when the one in Omaha closed. I'm sure there's other good places to go in Omaha now but back in the day. Pennsy may consider it TexMex, but the Mexican food is extremely variable from region to region of Mexico. I've got a friend who bought Murdo's below Gavin's Point Dam. He's from an immigrant family and he employs a fair number of Hispanic cooks. During slower times of the year they come up with some really nice authentic "specials" for the regulars who come in on weekends in the off season. Many of the dishes are very similar to what you get at Tico's.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Gimme sum Tex Mex with some seasoned chips n queso and I'll be your huckleberry. It's a well known fact if you want to get in my pants, that's the food that'll do it.

• Wow
I hated it when the one in Omaha closed. I'm sure there's other good places to go in Omaha now but back in the day. Pennsy may consider it TexMex, but the Mexican food is extremely variable from region to region of Mexico. I've got a friend who bought Murdo's below Gavin's Point Dam. He's from an immigrant family and he employs a fair number of Hispanic cooks. During slower times of the year they come up with some really nice authentic "specials" for the regulars who come in on weekends in the off season. Many of the dishes are very similar to what you get at Tico's.
But this kind of makes my point. TexMex has been around a long time. And it has been around long enough that it has actually caught on even in Mexico. It is not authentic “traditional” Mexican food, but it has now actually become a real form of Mexican food even in Mexico. There have been many Mexican immigrants to the United States who went back to Mexico and brought TexMex back with them. So now you see more and more Mexican immigrants who open up authentic Mexican places here in the U.S. who include a lot of TexMex features. My only real point is that I hate it when food snobs sneer at really good TexMex food on the grounds that it isn’t “authentic.” It is damn authentic and damn good when done right. I haven’t been to Ticos in years, but when I used to go there in the 80’s I thought it was pretty good. My only complaint was that they microwaved pre-made dishes too often. You always know it has been nuked when you get your food five minutes after ordering and the inside of your Burrito or Relleno is as hot as the Sun. There is a GREAT TexMex place run by Mexicans near my parent’s house in the Highlands in northwest Lincoln. It is called Hacienda Real.

Tico's is clean, good service, decent enough location for game day as Dingle points out. My wife's family LOVES the place, to the extent that I've been there at least once a year for various birthday gatherings. All that said, I just do not like the food. I actually really dislike it and agree with the guy above on all the other options. But food is all about "taste" right? Totally subjective so arguing about it is kinda pointless.

But this kind of makes my point. TexMex has been around a long time. And it has been around long enough that it has actually caught on even in Mexico. It is not authentic “traditional” Mexican food, but it has now actually become a real form of Mexican food even in Mexico. There have been many Mexican immigrants to the United States who went back to Mexico and brought TexMex back with them. So now you see more and more Mexican immigrants who open up authentic Mexican places here in the U.S. who include a lot of TexMex features. My only real point is that I hate it when food snobs sneer at really good TexMex food on the grounds that it isn’t “authentic.” It is damn authentic and damn good when done right. I haven’t been to Ticos in years, but when I used to go there in the 80’s I thought it was pretty good. My only complaint was that they microwaved pre-made dishes too often. You always know it has been nuked when you get your food five minutes after ordering and the inside of your Burrito or Relleno is as hot as the Sun. There is a GREAT TexMex place run by Mexicans near my parent’s house in the Highlands in northwest Lincoln. It is called Hacienda Real.
Julio's in Omaha used to be the sh*t back in the day. Tex-Mex can be outstanding.....

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Tico's is clean, good service, decent enough location for game day as Dingle points out. My wife's family LOVES the place, to the extent that I've been there at least once a year for various birthday gatherings. All that said, I just do not like the food. I actually really dislike it and agree with the guy above on all the other options. But food is all about "taste" right? Totally subjective so arguing about it is kinda pointless.
Liked even though I'm referred to as "the guy above". ;)

I live by Southpointe and the Hacienda Real their is fantastic IMO

Mexican food really is a huge umbrella....I am originally from Scottsbluff and the Mexican food there is different from any other style of Mexican food I've ever had, and I've tried others from coast to coast. It is just a regional variation unlike any other out there...but I love it like no other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT