ADVERTISEMENT

Sell out streak and stadium size

it sounds to me like they are going for creating a premium experience.. that means prices for everything going up.. the amount of money it is supposedly costing is obscene.. I would not be surprised if over 2/3rds of that money is being funneled into certain pocketbooks.. no different than Ukraine weapons 'funding'..

Anyway, back to the season ticket holders.. you might get a nice plastic seat to sit in, not having to squeeze your butt into a 10 inch or whatever it is bench width, add a cup holder and maybe a closer beer station and bathroom.. are you willing to pay a 2-3x for that? Do the seats come with arm rests? do you have to fight over that like those on an airplane?

This is the part that I'm not sure about.. how many season ticket holders are going to shell out the money for that? What if half the fan base says.. nah.. good luck with that.. You end up with premium experience of about 45k fans while the stadium is only just over half full. prices then have to go up again cause you aren't selling it out.

Seems like a big risk to me.

Trev surely has math models. He's making decisions based on trends and the feedback from the questionnaires. I suspect Trev weasels people back by offering free seats for that fall.

IMO, you have to relocate these fans. I assume Steel bleachers. You have to plant them between the field and the E/W Stadium stands.

it sounds to me like they are going for creating a premium experience.. that means prices for everything going up.. the amount of money it is supposedly costing is obscene.. I would not be surprised if over 2/3rds of that money is being funneled into certain pocketbooks.. no different than Ukraine weapons 'funding'..

Anyway, back to the season ticket holders.. you might get a nice plastic seat to sit in, not having to squeeze your butt into a 10 inch or whatever it is bench width, add a cup holder and maybe a closer beer station and bathroom.. are you willing to pay a 2-3x for that? Do the seats come with arm rests? do you have to fight over that like those on an airplane?

This is the part that I'm not sure about.. how many season ticket holders are going to shell out the money for that? What if half the fan base says.. nah.. good luck with that.. You end up with premium experience of about 45k fans while the stadium is only just over half full. prices then have to go up again cause you aren't selling it out.

Seems like a big risk to me.
Do you regularly attend games?

C’mon people there is a reason why they have Domes in North Dakota, has anyone beside me ever visit Fargo ?

It’s disgusting how cold it gets there and Lincoln doesn’t need a fricken Dome.

They should renovated years ago before adding to the East side of the stadium..

Reactions: oldjar07
No, that is why I am curious as to what people will actually spend.. was it not clear that was implied?
Did you listen to Trev? We already have the 5th most expensive tickets in CFB. I took his PC to mean we pay too much to sit in an old stadium.

You make a lot of assumptions. Funneling money to people? Raising ticket prices by 2 or 3 times the current amount.

I'll keep saying it. People that regularly attend games are generally in favor of this project.

C’mon people there is a reason why they have Domes in North Dakota, has anyone beside me ever visit Fargo ?

It’s disgusting how cold it gets there and Lincoln doesn’t need a fricken Dome.

They should renovated years ago before adding to the East side of the stadium..
Even NDSU doesn't play that many cold weather regular season games at home. It's the deep playoff runs where it gets mind numbing cold. And the Fargo Dome is a multi-purpose facility owned by the city. People in Lincoln would freak if Memorial Stadium was used as a hub to fill sandbags.

I know that the sell out streak is a precious tradition around here even if it is a bit fake. And as we renovate the stadium we will be reducing the seating capacity in order to make seating more comfortable. So we are talking a stadium holding around 75,000 and that will help keep the sell out streak going.

However, my thinking is just the opposite. I have attended some games at Penn State when that place was full and there were 110,000 screaming fans in attendance. Of course, having a stadium that big means that PSU has a lot of games that are not sell outs. But guess what? They don't give a shit. Because they like the fact that when a Michigan or an OSU or a Nebraska comes a calling that they can pack it in with 110,000 and really make an intimidating atmosphere. And it is very intimidating. And it screams out "this is big boy, big time football."

I think we should do the same. I understand that there are probably space limitations for doing that at Memorial Stadium, especially if we are going to real seats with seat backs and so on. But I think we should try to at least maintain the current seating capacity and to even look at raising it to around 95.000 or so. The sell out streak be damned. I am not an engineer and do not even play one on TV, but I bet there is a way to do this. I know this will not be a popular view, but I hate seeing our stadium drifting back into the 70,000-75,000 range.

Just my worthless two cents
I think the amount of money being spent on a stadium is insane. I hate the bleachers but I still go. I know big guys who won’t because of the seating. Completely tearing down south stadium and losing that capacity seems crazy to me. I’ve sat there before and it was fine

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Did you listen to Trev? We already have the 5th most expensive tickets in CFB. I took his PC to mean we pay too much to sit in an old stadium.

You make a lot of assumptions. Funneling money to people? Raising ticket prices by 2 or 3 times the current amount.

I'll keep saying it. People that regularly attend games are generally in favor of this project.
Sooo if we want to lower prices use tv revenue to make less desirable seats dirt cheap. 10 bucks gets you a seat midway up south stadium. 5 bucks for the last 10 rows. No seat license.

I think the amount of money being spent on a stadium is insane. I hate the bleachers but I still go. I know big guys who won’t because of the seating. Completely tearing down south stadium and losing that capacity seems crazy to me. I’ve sat there before and it was fine
Strongly disagree on south stadium. The whole setup is embarrassing. Moving the students to the bottom of south stadium is genius.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Do you regularly attend games? If they widened seats I can't tell.
"Some fans will also enjoy wider seats, as seat width expansion has been changing Memorial Stadium's fan experience. The entire upper north stadium, rows 80 and above will now have a seat width ranging from 22-24 inches from the previous 18 inches. Along with the north seating completion for 2017, Section 14 in south stadium, rows 16-98, will have seat widths increase from 18 inches to 20-22 inches."
SOURCE: https://huskers.com/news/2017/06/06/husker-fans-to-enjoy-new-stadium-amenities

"Some fans will also enjoy wider seats, as seat width expansion has been changing Memorial Stadium's fan experience. The entire upper north stadium, rows 80 and above will now have a seat width ranging from 22-24 inches from the previous 18 inches. Along with the north seating completion for 2017, Section 14 in south stadium, rows 16-98, will have seat widths increase from 18 inches to 20-22 inches."
SOURCE: https://huskers.com/news/2017/06/06/husker-fans-to-enjoy-new-stadium-amenities
What percentage of the stadium did that impact? I haven't noticed anything in East stadium.

I wouldn’t go bigger unless the expansion was on the sidelines. We already have a bizarre setup with over half the seats in the end zone. The stadium location obviously wasn’t chosen with an eye towards even 75,000 seats much less 100,000.

As for a new stadium, I have promoted the idea here in the past and have been shouted down based on cost. I assume that is the same reason the decision makers are going the current direction.

Assuming Trev eliminates the absurd 20,000+ “no donation” seats, we may find it pretty easy to get a ticket with the smaller capacity. (That comment should get me some hate mail.😀)

Last edited:
The devil’s in the details of the statement. The 20,000+ with no-donation seats are getting a great deal.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I know I'm done with season tickets if I lose my seats. But I understand that it needs to be done.

95,000 won’t show up anymore unless it’s volleyball. No need to make it bigger. Trev is embracing the losing and making it smaller
The fact that the Dept is willing to shed 10K season tickets from existence is Telling.

Interest in the program is Waning, because of the decisions they've made, and continue to make. Donor pool is shrinking. They're grasping at straws...

Name me another major football program, Championship-caliber program, who EVER proposed spending a half billion dollars on decreasing seating capacity. lol...

I gave a few K for the North project few years back. Will not contribute another dime until they focus on winning over cushy seats. Jesus...

THESE BOOSTERS, the ones willing to pay for SEATS and amenities over ATHLETES are the ones making our once-great program obsolete.

Reactions: oldjar07
Sooo if we want to lower prices use tv revenue to make less desirable seats dirt cheap. 10 bucks gets you a seat midway up south stadium. 5 bucks for the last 10 rows. No seat license.
I'm curious about the "rethinking grandfathered booster $".

We have tickets that were "in the family " since the 50's. Prior to the mid 80's, there was no booster $ assessment for those. Then they went through a name change and in order to do so had to agree to pay booster $ for them. Since that time, we added more season tickets. All of them are about 1/2 the booster $ than current levels for NEW season ticket holders in that section (grandfathered). If they do away with grandfathered booster $and raise it I will have to rethink the amount of tickets I have.

Now for my thoughts on chair seats. We sat in club section 200 level for the vb game because we could get 12 together and I wanted to see what they were like in case I ever wanted to up grade in the future. I was ok with the seats but many in my enterage didn't ...especially the taller people. Said the leg room was lacking. Personally, I like my seats in 600 level better. Aluminum bench but has backrest. Seat width is fine up there.

I sit in the south stadium, it’s more about building concourses in the south.you literally have to go Dow almost 100 rows to take a piss .

I sit in the south stadium, it’s more about building concourses in the south.you literally have to go Dow almost 100 rows to take a piss .
Not to mention the clusterf*ck getting into the stadium. It's like getting into some tiny nightclub where they let 2 people in at a time.

Not to mention the clusterf*ck getting into the stadium. It's like getting into some tiny nightclub where they let 2 people in at a time.
I park on the east side so I go in gate 24 , the student gate . It’s a cluster fk like you say .

The fact that the Dept is willing to shed 10K season tickets from existence is Telling.

Interest in the program is Waning, because of the decisions they've made, and continue to make. Donor pool is shrinking. They're grasping at straws...

Name me another major football program, Championship-caliber program, who EVER proposed spending a half billion dollars on decreasing seating capacity. lol...

I gave a few K for the North project few years back. Will not contribute another dime until they focus on winning over cushy seats. Jesus...

THESE BOOSTERS, the ones willing to pay for SEATS and amenities over ATHLETES are the ones making our once-great program obsolete.
The update to the stadium has been needed for 20+ years. Trev is probably the first athletic director since Byrne (Not counting TO) that actually has the ability to raise money for this and get it done. He'll tug at the heart strings of the blue hairs for one last time and get it done. At this point, who really cares about the season ticket holders in the actual seats. The money isn't coming from those seats. I for one hope they push some of these folks out and maybe NU becomes a more hostile environment again.

Rhule has important stretch to start to win some games and win some recruiting battles. NIL can play a part, but sometimes it is exaggerated on how much it plays a part. I know some pretty large donors to Ole Miss and Bama and they have told me you would be surprised that not all of these kids are motivated by it especially if the coach is able to really connect with the parents. I think Rhule's track record shows that he truly cares about relationships and has proved he will look out for these kids. If Nebraska starts winning again kids will start to come again. Yes, NIL will be a piece of that, but winning is a larger driver.

is there a size limit on the bench seats. Like if someone is 400+lbs, do they need to buy 2 seats like on airlines?

We are into a generation that hasn’t seen Nebraska be relevant, I have several nephew’s and nieces that could care less about Nebraska football they do other things on game day compared to when I was growing up. We don’t have season tickets anymore we go occasionally now, as I get older I don’t care for the traffic and with HDTV I have a lot better picture than what I could at most seats in the stadium. I guess my point is downsizing is probably the way to go in the final coup de grace is inflation the cost of attending a game parking , refreshments, probably a dinner afterwards and if you stay overnight all of that is going up in prices. Some ticket holder might decide they can’t afford to go anymore

The update to the stadium has been needed for 20+ years. Trev is probably the first athletic director since Byrne (Not counting TO) that actually has the ability to raise money for this and get it done. He'll tug at the heart strings of the blue hairs for one last time and get it done. At this point, who really cares about the season ticket holders in the actual seats. The money isn't coming from those seats. I for one hope they push some of these folks out and maybe NU becomes a more hostile environment again.

Rhule has important stretch to start to win some games and win some recruiting battles. NIL can play a part, but sometimes it is exaggerated on how much it plays a part. I know some pretty large donors to Ole Miss and Bama and they have told me you would be surprised that not all of these kids are motivated by it especially if the coach is able to really connect with the parents. I think Rhule's track record shows that he truly cares about relationships and has proved he will look out for these kids. If Nebraska starts winning again kids will start to come again. Yes, NIL will be a piece of that, but winning is a larger driver.
So you know some high rollers, appears you fly in some rarified atmosphere, very impressive.

So you don’t give a s—t about us blue hairs who will get shoved out in the name of progress. You’re going to shame us one more time into pulling out our wallets then we’re out the door. I realize most people label us olds in fun and I enjoy it. Your tone is very vitiolic and I can think of no better way to drive a wedge into our fan base that might never heal.

So you know some high rollers, appears you fly in some rarified atmosphere, very impressive.

So you don’t give a s—t about us blue hairs who will get shoved out in the name of progress. You’re going to shame us one more time into pulling out our wallets then we’re out the door. I realize most people label us olds in fun and I enjoy it. Your tone is very vitiolic and I can think of no better way to drive a wedge into our fan base that might never heal.
I donate as well, you aren't the only one's pulling our your wallet for the program. You've also had your time and there is no need for you to be in the stadium yelling at people to sit down, taking 15 minutes to get to your seat and then having someone have to worry about you getting drug out of the stadium because of extreme weather. I'll feel the same way when I get that age that I'm not contributing to the atmosphere, so I probably don't need to go to the game. My grandpa had the same feeling and he went to the games for 50 years. I'm pretty sure Nebraska is on TV every weekend.

#MakeMemorialStadiumhostileagain

Reactions: NikkiSixx
No doubt it’s about concessions and luxury suites. My suspicion is it’s about generating more revenue and using the inconveniences as an excuse. I can easily sit through a whole game without needing to go use the John or buy over priced hotdogs and I’m an old man.

They’re gonna need to embrace NIL while it exists if they want to win. Maybe NIL goes away, but I doubt it, and it doesn’t mean Good Programs won’t still find ways to Pay Players.

Rhule’s formula of developing 3-star talent ain’t gonna work in the Big 10. It might lead to a couple more wins per season in the West AS IT’S CURRENTLY FORMULATED, but those days will soon be over. It’s gonna get WORSE for us. We’re never gonna beat the caliber of Michigan and tOSU with 3 star players.

The mistake started with Solich. The blame for NU’s downfall IMHO rests squarely upon the conservative nature of Nebraska fans. Sry guys, but this program simply hasn’t adapted like other programs have, and the result is on the field.

if y’all blue-haired donors pushing for wider seats are comfortable watching a piss-poor product, if you don’t give a shit about the return on your investment, lol go for it. You’re prioritizing your own asses over Players, and the Dept obviously feels the same. SMFH…

No doubt it’s about concessions and luxury suites. My suspicion is it’s about generating more revenue and using the inconveniences as an excuse. I can easily sit through a whole game without needing to go use the John or buy over priced hotdogs and I’m an old man.
Have you sat in south stadium? It's unbelievable. Embarrassing.

They’re gonna need to embrace NIL while it exists if they want to win. Maybe NIL goes away, but I doubt it, and it doesn’t mean Good Programs won’t still find ways to Pay Players.

Rhule’s formula of developing 3-star talent ain’t gonna work in the Big 10. It might lead to a couple more wins per season in the West AS IT’S CURRENTLY FORMULATED, but those days will soon be over. It’s gonna get WORSE for us. We’re never gonna beat the caliber of Michigan and tOSU with 3 star players.

The mistake started with Solich. The blame for NU’s downfall IMHO rests squarely upon the conservative nature of Nebraska fans. Sry guys, but this program simply hasn’t adapted like other programs have, and the result is on the field.

if y’all blue-haired donors pushing for wider seats are comfortable watching a piss-poor product, if you don’t give a shit about the return on your investment, lol go for it. You’re prioritizing your own asses over Players, and the Dept obviously feels the same. SMFH…
This project is more then adding seats. It's about south stadium. Connecting concourses. Restrooms. Giving the students a permanent home close to the field. He mentioned making it usable for people with disabilities. Alcohol I'm sure is in there. Expanding food options is part of it too I'm sure.

I think memorial stadium can be as hostile as you say as any stadium. Just give us a reason to be. Those OU, Colorado and mizzou games back in the day were and that was crowds smaller than today. And you know what?? There were a lot of blue hairs there wearing their polyester red pants, white shoes, a tie and an I like Ike button. Just give us product on the field that's not blown out by halftime by the #2 team in the country

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Have you sat in south stadium? It's unbelievable. Embarrassing.
I have. Not any tighter than the season tickets I’ve had for 20+ years. People need to not be such candy asses. I go to watch a football game, not to run to the concession stand.

If you can’t do stairs, don’t buy the tickets or pay up for better seats.

Wow that's cool. And CSU would whoop our asses right now. I think NU as we knew it is gone. Might as well throw out the tub with the bath water too. Start fresh!
There you go with them negative waves again Moriarity. Have a little faith, baby. Have a little faith.

Reactions: cavalot
This project is more then adding seats. It's about south stadium. Connecting concourses. Restrooms. Giving the students a permanent home close to the field. He mentioned making it usable for people with disabilities. Alcohol I'm sure is in there. Expanding food options is part of it too I'm sure.
Yeah, I’m fussy about it and those are all needed things, am just opining that we should put a quality product on the field as a PRIORITY over that stuff. Jesus we need a better team to JUSTIFY these amenities, IMHO. Personally would have zero desire to benefit from all of the improvements with the current state of our team.

Rather watch a competitive team in a crap stadium.

I have. Not any tighter than the season tickets I’ve had for 20+ years. People need to not be such candy asses. I go to watch a football game, not to run to the concession stand.

The non-student entrance is a joke. A random line winding amongst cars. People, myself, visiting fans in line, and other Husker fans, weren't even sure if it was the line to get into the stadium. That's embarrassing. Bottlenecks everywhere when you get in.

… best exception is between 1st and 2nd Q during that HORRIBLE anthem they’re forcing upon us, with the T-shirt Gatlin Gun…

🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I’m fussy about it and those are all needed things, am just opining that we should put a quality product on the field as a PRIORITY over that stuff. Jesus we need a better team to JUSTIFY these amenities, IMHO. Personally would have zero desire to benefit from all of the improvements with the current state of our team.

Rather watch a competitive team in a crap stadium.
We hired a coach for 8 million a year. Gave him all the resources he needs. Nothing else to do but wait and see how it plays out. This has been much needed.

This stadium renovation made me think of something. South stadium used to be our lockerroom. People, myself included, donated $ for bricks to line the player's entrance. Then they moved to the north now going to implode. What happens to the bricks? Not sure they'll take that abuse of demolition. Are they going to move visiting team lockerroom to our old ones on the north and come out of the NW tunnel entrance?? Otherwise first thing they gotta do is build new lockerroom and not sure I like that idea or expense.

No, I didn't listen to Trev. That is interesting if we already have the 5th most expensive tickets in CFB.. That's astounding that they would pour another half a billion into something that is already priced so high.

It's mostly common sense.. I have an accounting background. You can't just put that type of money into something without some sort of expected return.

I'm positive about the money funnel.. and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Ask yourself who the decision makers are in Lincoln.. Presidents, Chancelors, Regents, AD's.. and take a look at their measly salaries in comparison to what the coaching staff is making.

Do you mean to tell me that the people running a 100 million dollar a year show, are making a 200-300k a year pittance of wages? It's like the President of the US. He makes less than your local Chevrolet dealer, and people don't think he's on the take? C'mon man, don't be naive.

I'm positive that people who attend want the changes. I don't doubt that. I just don't think they have been told what it's going to cost them. Let's do a little table napkin math.

$500,000,000 investment divided by 75,000 tickets is about $6,700 that they need to recoup from each ticket holder just to break even. Of course they can't do this over 1 year.. but lets say 3 years.

$6700 / 3years is about $2200 a year.

What do tickets cost? (It's been a long time since I've visited this subject, so I bet my numbers are way off) but I recall that a season ticket required something like a $2500 donation, plus the cost of the 7 tickets, so I'm guessing it's in the $3k per season range? This is just my rough estimate, some of you that buy these of course will know exactly the cost.

So if it's in the neighborhood of 3K a season, and you're going to need to recoup another 2.2k per year, that's close to having prices double.. throw in a couple of new fees, and you're there.

If the plan is to not raise prices at all, I would be truly astonished that they would just sink that kind of money with no actual tangible return. The prices of everything else doubled, why not the price of a premium GDE?

Last edited:
No, I didn't listen to Trev. That is interesting if we already have the 5th most expensive tickets in CFB.. That's astounding that they would pour another half a billion into something that is already priced so high.

It's mostly common sense.. I have an accounting background. You can't just put that type of money into something without some sort of expected return.

I'm positive about the money funnel.. and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Ask yourself who the decision makers are in Lincoln.. Presidents, Chancelors, Regents, AD's.. and take a look at their measly salaries in comparison to what the coaching staff is making.

Do you mean to tell me that the people running a 100 million dollar a year show, are making a 200-300k a year pittance of wages? It's like the President of the US. He makes less than your local Chevrolet dealer, and people don't think he's on the take? C'mon man, don't be naive.

I'm positive that people who attend want the changes. I don't doubt that. I just don't think they have been told what it's going to cost them. Let's do a little table napkin math.

$500,000,000 investment divided by 75,000 tickets is about $6,700 that they need to recoup from each ticket holder just to break even. Of course they can't do this over 1 year.. but lets say 3 years.

$6700 / 3years is about $2200 a year.

What do tickets cost? (It's been a long time since I've visited this subject, so I bet my numbers are way off) but I recall that a season ticket required something like a $2500 donation, plus the cost of the 7 tickets, so I'm guessing it's in the $3k per season range? This is just my rough estimate, some of you that buy these of course will know exactly the cost.

So if it's in the neighborhood of 3K a season, and you're going to need to recoup another 2.2k per year, that's close to having prices double.. throw in a couple of new fees, and you're there.

If the plan is to not raise prices at all, I would be truly astonished that they would just sink that kind of money with no actual tangible return. The prices of everything else doubled, why not the price of a premium GDE?
They don't need to recoup anything. Half has been pledged. The other half comes from the athletic department. The athletic department that makes money hand over fist.

What else are they going to do with the constant flow of money?

Season ticket "donation" levels depend on many factors. Some pay nothing. A lot pay $250 per ticket. Some way more.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT