ADVERTISEMENT

Sell out streak and stadium size

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I know that the sell out streak is a precious tradition around here even if it is a bit fake. And as we renovate the stadium we will be reducing the seating capacity in order to make seating more comfortable. So we are talking a stadium holding around 75,000 and that will help keep the sell out streak going.

However, my thinking is just the opposite. I have attended some games at Penn State when that place was full and there were 110,000 screaming fans in attendance. Of course, having a stadium that big means that PSU has a lot of games that are not sell outs. But guess what? They don't give a shit. Because they like the fact that when a Michigan or an OSU or a Nebraska comes a calling that they can pack it in with 110,000 and really make an intimidating atmosphere. And it is very intimidating. And it screams out "this is big boy, big time football."

I think we should do the same. I understand that there are probably space limitations for doing that at Memorial Stadium, especially if we are going to real seats with seat backs and so on. But I think we should try to at least maintain the current seating capacity and to even look at raising it to around 95.000 or so. The sell out streak be damned. I am not an engineer and do not even play one on TV, but I bet there is a way to do this. I know this will not be a popular view, but I hate seeing our stadium drifting back into the 70,000-75,000 range.

Just my worthless two cents

I fully agree, but I think the time to do that would have been when they expanded the east stadium.

I don't think it can be done with the south stadium, which features 100 rows of bleachers, and is pretty much as maxed out as you can get without demolishing several large academic buildings just beyond it. In fact, I don't know how Avery Hall is going to survive the proposed project, as it is nearly under the stands as they sit.

The sellout streak should have died a long time ago. When decisions are being made only so you can put a sign on the wall that no one reads, that's a problem.

Yeah why don’t colleges do this more? NFL stadiums do it all the time. And since college football is now basically NFL light, it seems like we should build new stadiums accordingly.
Exactly. And they are already spending 450 million! How much more would a new stadium be? Another 500 million? Trev said this is building for the next fifty years. Then go ahead and bite the bullet and build a new one

I know that the sell out streak is a precious tradition around here even if it is a bit fake. And as we renovate the stadium we will be reducing the seating capacity in order to make seating more comfortable. So we are talking a stadium holding around 75,000 and that will help keep the sell out streak going.

However, my thinking is just the opposite. I have attended some games at Penn State when that place was full and there were 110,000 screaming fans in attendance. Of course, having a stadium that big means that PSU has a lot of games that are not sell outs. But guess what? They don't give a shit. Because they like the fact that when a Michigan or an OSU or a Nebraska comes a calling that they can pack it in with 110,000 and really make an intimidating atmosphere. And it is very intimidating. And it screams out "this is big boy, big time football."

I think we should do the same. I understand that there are probably space limitations for doing that at Memorial Stadium, especially if we are going to real seats with seat backs and so on. But I think we should try to at least maintain the current seating capacity and to even look at raising it to around 95.000 or so. The sell out streak be damned. I am not an engineer and do not even play one on TV, but I bet there is a way to do this. I know this will not be a popular view, but I hate seeing our stadium drifting back into the 70,000-75,000 range.

If you the correcty remodel that can make 75 sound like 100 , look at Arrowhead. Players that play there for the first time says it’s the loudest stadium they have played in. AdamHuchtinson (Michigan) from Detroit said it was the loudest stadium he had ever played in. I believe arrowhead is not 80, 000.

Let’s not get cared away here..

The purpose for the new facility was to make as convenient for the players and have bigger locker room space and all the other bells and whistles you do when building a new facility.

Nah, NFL teams have a practice facility and a separate stadium to play in. We keep the new practice facility and add a new stadium.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

95,000 won’t show up anymore unless it’s volleyball. No need to make it bigger. Trev is embracing the losing and making it smaller

Yeah why don’t colleges do this more? NFL stadiums do it all the time. And since college football is now basically NFL light, it seems like we should build new stadiums accordingly.
usually the nfl or even mlb team threatens to leave unless the city builds a new stadium and then the city ponies up and raises taxes to create the revenue to build the new stadium, well Nebraska isnt leaving Lincoln and Lincoln isn’t going to and probably don’t have the tax base to raise taxes and I can’t see the state legislature raising taxes especially now that the football team sucks

I'm sure we could build something pretty nice in Lincoln, NE for around a billion.
Colorado State built a new on-campus stadium stadium in 2017 for $220 million. Granted its a much smaller venue and pre-COVID inflation, but seems cheap compared to a $500 million remodel.

CREDIT-CSU.png

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Colorado State built a new on-campus stadium stadium in 2017 for $220 million. Granted its a much smaller venue and pre-COVID inflation, but seems cheap compared to a $500 million remodel.

CREDIT-CSU.png
Wow that's cool. And CSU would whoop our asses right now. I think NU as we knew it is gone. Might as well throw out the tub with the bath water too. Start fresh!

Three things:
1) Memorial Stadium is never being torn down. So discussion of a replacement stadium is a non-starter.
2) Most college stadiums, including all of the big legendary old-school stadiums, have bench seating almost exclusively
3) Demand and attendance would skyrocket if the team didn't suck donkey dick

Three things:
1) Memorial Stadium is never being torn down. So discussion of a replacement stadium is a non-starter.
2) Most college stadiums, including all of the big legendary old-school stadiums, have bench seating almost exclusively
Bench seating is fine... if they are going to start reducing the number of seats per row so people have more room. Capacity needed to be reduced one way or another.

It sounds like people wanted alcohol? Only way alcohol works is with better restrooms and IMHO cup holders.

I'm also not sure if people complaining realize how inefficient or random Memorial Stadium is. It's so weird how each area is its own little stadium.

CREDIT-CSU.png
Have you paid any attention to how Nebraska has spent money over the last two decades?

If he was on the ball, Bill Moos would have announced a stadium fix back in 2018, when everyone was all pumped up over stealing Frost from UCF.

It will be difficult to raise BOTH NIL money and $450 million for the stadium.

My only thoughts are that maybe we should get back to being a big boy, big time program before we start spending money in that way. Unfortunately, the only way Nebraska can be used in the same sentence as Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is due to our ever increasing ancient history. We can put all the lipstick we want onto our facilities, but until the product on the field starts winning, a 100,000+ stadium will look even worse than it did on Saturday after halftime when fans were leaving in droves.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If he was on the ball, Bill Moos would have announced a stadium fix back in 2018, when everyone was all pumped up over stealing Frost from UCF.

It will be difficult to raise BOTH NIL money and $450 million for the stadium.
Not true. The Athletic complex will be paid off in the next year, at which point the athletic department will pay for half of the stadium renovation. Half the cost had already been pledged from private donors.

I don't know what's going on with NIL but I don't think the stadium project will make much of a difference. I personally think it's just being mismanaged.

Reactions: scarletred
I just read that capacity was already reduced by 2,000 back in 2017 to widen all bench seats throughout the stadium. There is no need for seatbacks or any other junk. The main spoiler of the fan experience is the ridiculous time it takes to get to your seats, the restroom, concessions, or exit in the 3rd quarter when they're down by 35 points.

Personally, I think they just need to build a structure under South Stadium, just like they did with North Stadium, featuring wide walkways, modern restrooms, more concessions, and much wider ramps and gates. Do whatever you need to do to connect the four disparate stadiums together not only at ground level, but midway up the stands as well. Modernize it to support concerts and other events. Make it safer, make it accessible, protect it for the next 100 years.

Reducing capacity by 15,000 so non-fans receiving tickets from business contacts can ignore the game in comfort is a horrible idea. Yeah, the benches are uncomfortable. You're supposed to stand the whole game, or at worst, sit only when the Huskers are on offense.

The price tag is also ridiculous. Baylor could have built two stadiums for that price.

Three things:
About your number 3.

There was an old adage that a man's vehicle is an extension of his -privates-. A way to make up for less than impressive stock.
I wonder if these AD'S use the building of horrendously overbuilt facilities in the same way. One thing is very obvious, you don't win because you have towering turrets or shiny weight rooms. I don't know how you win but these things don't seem to be the answer.

Reactions: huskercabby
I remember reading that the secret of NDSU’s success was the dome. It allowed them to recruit circles around their peers. I’ve often wondered if we could do the same, be the only big boy program in the country with a dome, or retractable roof.

I remember reading that the secret of NDSU’s success was the dome. It allowed them to recruit circles around their peers. I’ve often wondered if we could do the same, be the only big boy program in the country with a dome, or retractable roof.
They recruit well because they win and have a system. I can't see how the Fargo Dome helps that when it is -20 out.

I just read that capacity was already reduced by 2,000 back in 2017 to widen all bench seats throughout the stadium. There is no need for seatbacks or any other junk. The main spoiler of the fan experience is the ridiculous time it takes to get to your seats, the restroom, concessions, or exit in the 3rd quarter when they're down by 35 points.

Personally, I think they just need to build a structure under South Stadium, just like they did with North Stadium, featuring wide walkways, modern restrooms, more concessions, and much wider ramps and gates. Do whatever you need to do to connect the four disparate stadiums together not only at ground level, but midway up the stands as well. Modernize it to support concerts and other events. Make it safer, make it accessible, protect it for the next 100 years.

Reducing capacity by 15,000 so non-fans receiving tickets from business contacts can ignore the game in comfort is a horrible idea. Yeah, the benches are uncomfortable. You're supposed to stand the whole game, or at worst, sit only when the Huskers are on offense.

The price tag is also ridiculous. Baylor could have built two stadiums for that price.
Do you regularly attend games? If they widened seats I can't tell.

It helps because you aren’t playing or practicing in -20 and everyone else around you is.
Have you ever been to Fargo in winter? Even Brookings doesn't compare. They have 3 regular season home games left this year. The amount of time spent practicing and playing is nothing compared to day to day life. They recruit tough players and integrate them into a winning culture.

UND also has a dome....

Exactly. 450 million for a remodel of a 100 year old structure seems like a waste to me
They have remolded every part of the stadium, no part is 100 years old. They are just bringing the south stadium up to gigs and adding a few other add ons , question how much are you donating to this ?

They have remolded every part of the stadium, no part is 100 years old. They are just bringing the south stadium up to gigs and adding a few other add ons , question how much are you donating to this ?
Not so. The original east and west bleachers remain. The additions on both those sides are separate structures that would continue to stand if the original bleachers were brought down. But those original parts of the stadium have not been remodeled, which is why I like them.

North end zone used to have 27 seats per row in each section. There are now 24 seats per row in each section. So seats were widened!

I guess boosters want better amenities and are willing to pony up a significant portion of the $450M for it.

For me personally, I don’t give a shit about the amenities, they are fine as they are. Just win more games and I will pay a higher price for tickets

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT