ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Fan for LA Tech game

gtpddEvan

Sep 11, 2023
Hey y'all - I'm a Louisiana Tech alum coming up to Lincoln for the game in a couple weeks. Now that the kickoff time has been announced as 2:30, my group (9 total) and I are trying to look into what we should do before and after the game.

We're all flying into KC to stay with friends who live there and driving up to Lincoln day of.

Any "must do" activities or restaurants? Where's the cool tailgating spot that we should walk through? Any advice on stuff like that would be great.

We're all late 20s, early 30s and like beer, food, and football.

Thanks and Go Dogs!

Welcome to Lincoln and you'll have a good time. As many will say on here go to Haymarket pregame. But honestly I think you'll have more fun hitting tailgate anywhere around the stadium. Most are welcoming and especially to visiting fans who they understand can't necessarily bring food. But if you can score some food on your way, you'll be most welcome. This is how you'll meet a wide variation of Husker fans.

Safe travels and enjoy

Welcome to Lincoln and you'll have a good time. As many will say on here go to Haymarket pregame. But honestly I think you'll have more fun hitting tailgate anywhere around the stadium. Most are welcoming and especially to visiting fans who they understand can't necessarily bring food. But if you can score some food on your way, you'll be most welcome. This is how you'll meet a wide variation of Husker fans.

Safe travels and enjoy
Go early and hit up bars AND tailgates. Railyard is popular and has a giant screen for watching CFB but there are tons of bars. Too many to list. Get down there before 10 and start checking things out. There is a bar or tailgate for every style and age.

Be in the stadium 20 -30 minutes before kickoff to ensure you are in your seats before the tunnel walk.

Welcome to Lincoln!
As mentioned, you should hang around the Haymarket/Railyard area. (Just ask when you get here)
It's close to the stadium and will be filled with "the sea of Red." Be sure to sport your colors so we know you're a guest and be prepared to talk some football.

Welcome to Lincoln!
As mentioned, you should hang around the Haymarket/Railyard area. (Just ask when you get here)
It's close to the stadium and will be filled with "the sea of Red." Be sure to sport your colors so we know you're a guest and be prepared to talk some football.
And please don’t talk trash if you beat us.

I love Haymarket/the Railyard, but make sure you leave plenty of time to hit tailgating around the stadium. Trust me, you will be welcomed with open arms at damn near all of them. Like others have said, make sure you're wearing your colors!

Thanks for all the Haymarket recommendations (and general welcome!). One question - I see on y'all's athletics site that there are general parking lots located around the stadium. Are there non-"official" places to park closer to Haymarket? I want to assume that there will be businesses and other folks selling parking spots, am I correct?

Hey y'all - I'm a Louisiana Tech alum coming up to Lincoln for the game in a couple weeks. Now that the kickoff time has been announced as 2:30, my group (9 total) and I are trying to look into what we should do before and after the game.

We're all flying into KC to stay with friends who live there and driving up to Lincoln day of.

Any "must do" activities or restaurants? Where's the cool tailgating spot that we should walk through? Any advice on stuff like that would be great.

We're all late 20s, early 30s and like beer, food, and football.

Thanks and Go Dogs!
Hit up O street, it will be a blast.

Duffy's
Sandy's (Get Elk Creeks)
The Rail

They are your divey college bars but on game day the crowd is all ages. Then walk to the Railyard and drink.

I would also hit up Barry's and check out the rooftop.

Reactions: gtpddEvan
In my experience as a LA Tech fan, there are two ways this can go:

1) We lose 45-14 or something like that.
2) We lead the entire way, by double digits in late in the second half even, only to blow it and lose by 1.

In other words, don't worry!
Oh no, you are not up on current Husker mojo.
We can lose a game in the most mind numbingly comical way. You guys are not close to our experience, nor accumen in this regard.

We are the better at losing games we already won than anyone in the NCAA.
We’re #1

Thanks for all the Haymarket recommendations (and general welcome!). One question - I see on y'all's athletics site that there are general parking lots located around the stadium. Are there non-"official" places to park closer to Haymarket? I want to assume that there will be businesses and other folks selling parking spots, am I correct?
Plenty of parking available for a fee of course

Parking is kind of a mess. You're basically going to drive until you see a small private lot or park in a garage. Either way you are walking. We prefer to park a little further and not deal with driving around. Should be plenty of parking if you are there early.

The parking meters are off/free on game day (I think) and you CAN get lucky and snag a spot, you might just have to drive around a few times.

Reactions: leodisflowers
There's some garages on the far west side of the Haymarket that usually you can find a spot for a few bucks. Street parking is free, but you better be really early.

Otherwise lots of businesses have pay lots. Almost everything you'll want to hit is just west or southwest of the stadium.

Enjoy your trip and report back!

Email me...morningstarfarms@gpcom.net

Oh no, you are not up on current Husker mojo.
We can lose a game in the most mind numbingly comical way. You guys are not close to our experience, nor accumen in this regard.

We are the better at losing games we already won than anyone in the NCAA.
We’re #1
Only one way to settle this. Good luck Huskers.

Reactions: Sigrun K sker
Last week we sucked against a bad North Texas team. Then we decided to score with 1:45 left, kick an onside AND recover it - score another TD instantly to tie it, leaving UNT with 1:00 left...

only to lose by allowing them to march the length of the field for a chip shot at the buzzer.

If you're bored and want more evidence look up our 2021 game @ Mississippi State (gave up 21 points in the 4th to lose 35-34 after being up 34-14), our 2017 game @ South Carolina (up 13-0 in the fourth, lost 17-16), hell - even our 2011 game against Houston (up 34-7 with 3:00 left in the third... you see where this is going)

Let the good times roll ! Be cool and interact with Husker fans and they will buy you drinks and invite you in their tailgates. Our fans are really good to opposing teams unless you act like a jerk. Hope you have a good time .

Last week we sucked against a bad North Texas team. Then we decided to score with 1:45 left, kick an onside AND recover it - score another TD instantly to tie it, leaving UNT with 1:00 left...

only to lose by allowing them to march the length of the field for a chip shot at the buzzer.

If you're bored and want more evidence look up our 2021 game @ Mississippi State (gave up 21 points in the 4th to lose 35-34 after being up 34-14), our 2017 game @ South Carolina (up 13-0 in the fourth, lost 17-16), hell - even our 2011 game against Houston (up 34-7 with 3:00 left in the third... you see where this is going)

You're going back 12 years, we can go back 12 games and find worse.

Let the good times roll ! Be cool and interact with Husker fans and they will buy you drinks and invite you in their tailgates. Our fans are really good to opposing teams unless you act like a jerk. Hope you have a good time .
Only time I remember even not wanting to be mad at an opposing team was probably NIU in 17 when I was sitting right by the opposing section (student section?) and there was a fan who was so loud and annoying, and nothing I could even say if i wanted because we sucked. Not that I would have said anything mean or anything close, but it just really made me mad (mostly cuz we sucked).
anyhow, Id say have fun, talk to the fans, cheer, just don't be an ass :D.

game day is awesome, and good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT