ADVERTISEMENT

Sell out streak and stadium size

They don't need to recoup anything. Half has been pledged. The other half comes from the athletic department. The athletic department that makes money hand over fist.

What else are they going to do with the constant flow of money?

Season ticket "donation" levels depend on many factors. Some pay nothing. A lot pay $250 per ticket. Some way more.
Sean Callahan claims there are over 20,000 seats exempted from donations and also said we are the only school that does this anymore other than a couple hundred tickets or so at a few places.

ASU ended the practice several years ago and I had a ticket holder friend who wasn’t thrilled but she agreed it was the right move for lots of reasons. (And that includes faculty/staff.)

Sean Callahan claims there are over 20,000 seats exempted from donations and also said we are the only school that does this anymore other than a couple hundred tickets or so at a few places.

ASU ended the practice several years ago and I had a ticket holder friend who wasn’t thrilled but she agreed it was the right move for lots of reasons. (And that includes faculty/staff.)
I wonder how many don't pay a donation because they didn't have to? They are probably new season ticket holders who chose a seat that didn't require a donation. Not really there fault demand was so low they just needed to fill seats.

The others would eventually require a donation when those get transferred or not renewed.

in unrelated news, Four contractors had put in bids to compete for NASA's $500 million in grants to build a new international space station..

No doubt it’s about concessions and luxury suites. My suspicion is it’s about generating more revenue and using the inconveniences as an excuse. I can easily sit through a whole game without needing to go use the John or buy over priced hotdogs and I’m an old man.
I agree, I tailgate usually use the porta potty in the parking lot before I walk to the stadium rarely eat or Drink at the game . I am just saying if you would happen to sit in row 98 in South stadium it would be a pain if you had to piss during the game

I wonder how many don't pay a donation because they didn't have to? They are probably new season ticket holders who chose a seat that didn't require a donation. Not really there fault demand was so low they just needed to fill seats.

The others would eventually require a donation when those get transferred or not

No university charges the student s a donation got thief seats.I doubt if they charge faculty staff. I know parents seats pay nothing and obviously visitors . Don’t know if it’s 20000 , but Sean saying others is couple hundred is wrong. Have you figured out yet Sean is a dipshit.

Reactions: huskercabby
I donate as well, you aren't the only one's pulling our your wallet for the program. You've also had your time and there is no need for you to be in the stadium yelling at people to sit down, taking 15 minutes to get to your seat and then having someone have to worry about you getting drug out of the stadium because of extreme weather. I'll feel the same way when I get that age that I'm not contributing to the atmosphere, so I probably don't need to go to the game. My grandpa had the same feeling and he went to the games for 50 years. I'm pretty sure Nebraska is on TV every weekend.

#MakeMemorialStadiumhostileagain
So ”I‘ve had my time“ what’re telling me…….I’m about to cash it in”? How the hell do you know how I behave at games? I’ve never yelled at anyone for standing because I’m right there with them. Maybe you‘re living in your mom’s basement playing video games on Saturday, oh that’s right you said you donate………donate what? You really shouldn’t pick a verbal fight with an old. Way too much experience There, I feel better.😉 Now I need to take my metamusile put my teeth in a glass and go to bed. Nite nite sunshine.

No university charges the student s a donation got thief seats.I doubt if they charge faculty staff. I know parents seats pay nothing and obviously visitors . Don’t know if it’s 20000 , but Sean saying others is couple hundred is wrong. Have you figured out yet Sean is a dipshit.
You are correct that this discussion excludes student tickets. But it does include faculty/staff at least here at ASU and long-time faculty were less than happy about it. When they made the change a few years ago and added donations to “exempted” non-student tickets, they claimed ASU was late to the party. Obviously I wasn’t privy to that data source so maybe they were lying.😀

Sean might be wrong on his numbers but I suspect he has more sources than you or me. If the policy changes in 2024 or 2025 I’m sure we will get the true data from Trev.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskercabby
So ”I‘ve had my time“ what’re telling me…….I’m about to cash it in”? How the hell do you know how I behave at games? I’ve never yelled at anyone for standing because I’m right there with them. Maybe you‘re living in your mom’s basement playing video games on Saturday, oh that’s right you said you donate………donate what? You really shouldn’t pick a verbal fight with an old. Way too much experience There, I feel better.😉 Now I need to take my metamusile put my teeth in a glass and go to bed. Nite nite sunshine.
You’re getting senile. Make sure you plug your scooter in and refresh the plastic on your couch. Go back to RSS and tell them how you’ve been the best fan since the Devaney days

For decades faculty got a deal on seats and could keep them long after they retired. I don’t know what the current policy is but it used to be the family could keep the seats even after mom and pop had died.

You’re getting senile. Make sure you plug your scooter in and refresh the plastic on your couch. Go back to RSS and tell them how you’ve been the best fan since the Devaney days
Well actually I have been but that’s beside the point. It seems we olds/blue hairs tend to get abused on here……..elder abuse😁……..maybe they need someone to lead the rebellion. Maybe that’s me.😳 Maybe this little State of ours should have another football team us olds can throw money at. I know that’s a dangling prep.

Like Senility U, our mascot could be the Sloths, our colors…gray on grey. I mean every other state around us has at least two teams, maybe locate one in GI. A stadium with all seats at field level…..for god’s sake no stairs and no season tickets. Some of us might not live that long.😑 Oh and 100 restrooms, when an old man has to pee well you know what could happen. At the concession stand how about bran flake muffins and Exlax candy bars. Come on Leo let’s keep this goin, I’m up way past my bedtime but us olds sleep till noon.

I think the amount of money being spent on a stadium is insane. I hate the bleachers but I still go. I know big guys who won’t because of the seating. Completely tearing down south stadium and losing that capacity seems crazy to me. I’ve sat there before and it was fine
I agree. 450 million seems like a lot of money for what we are getting out of it. Generations of Husker fans have packed into the old stadium just fine. Increase the quality of the product on the field and people will still come. And I get that there are so many more options for fans these days since all games are now on TV. But adding better seats and better access to concessions and bathrooms is not going to significantly alter that reality in my view.
And so I stand by my opinion that we should not be spending that kind of money and in the end reducing capacity. The sell out streak be damned. And if we are going to spend that kind of money then let's just build a new stadium completely from scratch.

I agree. 450 million seems like a lot of money for what we are getting out of it. Generations of Husker fans have packed into the old stadium just fine. Increase the quality of the product on the field and people will still come. And I get that there are so many more options for fans these days since all games are now on TV. But adding better seats and better access to concessions and bathrooms is not going to significantly alter that reality in my view.
And so I stand by my opinion that we should not be spending that kind of money and in the end reducing capacity. The sell out streak be damned. And if we are going to spend that kind of money then let's just build a new stadium completely from scratch.
Why would you build a new stadium? Where would you build a new stadium?

The stadium is the cornerstone of campus. The location is simply awesome.

I don't remember ticket prices going up lately. They gave $100 off this year. What do you honestly want the athletic department to do with the piles of cash they rake in from games and TV money?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Tickets that required no booster donation were tickets purchased prior to sellout streak beginning give or take a few years and have remained in the same name.

Also when they expanded north stadium they pledged some seats that were basically a lottery. Those were like the top 2 rows IIRC.

Tickets that required no booster donation were tickets purchased prior to sellout streak beginning give or take a few years and have remained in the same name.

Also when they expanded north stadium they pledged some seats that were basically a lottery. Those were like the top 2 rows IIRC.
Demand has been down. There have been tickets available recently that didn't require a donation.

I know that the sell out streak is a precious tradition around here even if it is a bit fake. And as we renovate the stadium we will be reducing the seating capacity in order to make seating more comfortable. So we are talking a stadium holding around 75,000 and that will help keep the sell out streak going.

However, my thinking is just the opposite. I have attended some games at Penn State when that place was full and there were 110,000 screaming fans in attendance. Of course, having a stadium that big means that PSU has a lot of games that are not sell outs. But guess what? They don't give a shit. Because they like the fact that when a Michigan or an OSU or a Nebraska comes a calling that they can pack it in with 110,000 and really make an intimidating atmosphere. And it is very intimidating. And it screams out "this is big boy, big time football."

I think we should do the same. I understand that there are probably space limitations for doing that at Memorial Stadium, especially if we are going to real seats with seat backs and so on. But I think we should try to at least maintain the current seating capacity and to even look at raising it to around 95.000 or so. The sell out streak be damned. I am not an engineer and do not even play one on TV, but I bet there is a way to do this. I know this will not be a popular view, but I hate seeing our stadium drifting back into the 70,000-75,000 range.

Just my worthless two cents
I agree. I think it's lame as hell if they reduce seating capacity by that much just to protect the sell out streak. I don't really care what they do about the design, but it should be 85,000 minimum.

I agree. I think it's lame as hell if they reduce seating capacity by that much just to protect the sell out streak. I don't really care what they do about the design, but it should be 85,000 minimum.
That’s how I feel. I’m ok with renovations, but reducing capacity to 70,000 (down from 89,000+ not long ago) when the Big Boys in the conference are at 100,000 plus seems like waving the white flag of surrender. Like everything else about our program since Frost took over: more shrinkage, more a shadow of our former selves.

Would rather let the sellout streak end and have those 85-90,000 screaming, crazy, towel-waving Husker fans pack the joint for big games. They could add an upper deck like others have done and still maintain current capacity while widening the seats.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT