ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bad movies you like

Summer School is one of those movies that feels like it should have been a bigger 80's hit. It had all the elements. Pretty big star, school setting, rom-com stuff, sort of a John Hughes feel to it.

But, like Can't Buy Me Love, it just didn't end up as big as it seemed like it should have.
Speaking of School. Have to add Ski School to my list. At least shows some tits

Over the Top - Sly as a arm wrestler
Weekend at Bernie's - absolute classic
School of Rock
Summer School - Mark Herman and Courtney Thorne Smith
That's a solid list. Not remotely ashamed to admit I've watched parts of all of them in the past 12 months or so. Watched all of Bernie's, how did that guy not win an Oscar?

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
What are some movies generally considered bad, but you like?

Some of my list...

MacGruber
Step Brothers
Rad
A Night at the Roxbury
The Counselor
Mojave
Valerian and the City of One Thousand Planets
Starship Troopers (Debatable if it's considered a bad movie or not)
Clifford

Reactions: splebanek
yes. my bad
Former UCLA QB turned actor Mark Harmon.
124a94305b907c06e0018e63e308f5f3.jpg

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
My first answer is a super dumb movie that I watch if it ever just happens to be on late night TBS or whatever. Corvette Summer features (pre?)Star Wars Mark Hamill and young hot Annie Potts and a Corvette that looks like it was designed by an 8 year old pimp. Have no idea how they thought this thing looked cool. Its like one of them memes where if some redneck won the lottery, there would be clues.

MV5BZWQ1ZDZlMDktYWM3Mi00YzIzLTlkOTAtYThhMmNmY2UwNGI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

The second one is actually a really good movie (I think) that most would find horrible. I remember watching this on HBO when I was a kid and thinking I dreamed it twenty years later. I found it and it turns out it was a real movie. It is one of my favorites. It features interracial skinhead gangs, lesbian gangs, and some lowlife orphans. It is hilarious and a really great action movie. Written and directed by the great Walter Hill.

Saving Silverman
The 5th Element
Con Air
The Rock

and whoever said Wet Hot American Summer....get that classic, masterpiece of a film out your mouth!

Reactions: king_kong_
My first answer is a super dumb movie that I watch if it ever just happens to be on late night TBS or whatever. Corvette Summer features (pre?)Star Wars Mark Hamill and young hot Annie Potts and a Corvette that looks like it was designed by an 8 year old pimp. Have no idea how they thought this thing looked cool. Its like one of them memes where if some redneck won the lottery, there would be clues.

MV5BZWQ1ZDZlMDktYWM3Mi00YzIzLTlkOTAtYThhMmNmY2UwNGI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

The second one is actually a really good movie (I think) that most would find horrible. I remember watching this on HBO when I was a kid and thinking I dreamed it twenty years later. I found it and it turns out it was a real movie. It is one of my favorites. It features interracial skinhead gangs, lesbian gangs, and some lowlife orphans. It is hilarious and a really great action movie. Written and directed by the great Walter Hill.

Warriors is bad....at the time, it was Bad Ass, but many years later you realize if they removed all the Warriors running away scenes the movie would be about 45 seconds long....and did not a single person, anyone, have a gun of any sort back then??

• Haha
Reactions: resdog851
Warriors is bad....at the time, it was Bad Ass, but many years later you realize if they removed all the Warriors running away scenes the movie would be about 45 seconds long....and did not a single person, anyone, have a gun of any sort back then??
I'm sure people were terrified of the roller skates gang. And the face paint baseball bat boys. Total cheese. But still a cult classic.

Reactions: libbity bibbity

I literally just watched the first half of "The Warriors" last winter. I saw it recommended as a cult classic but that's all I could handle. It was pretty terrible!

Edit: FYI, a few years ago Walter Hill was a guest on the WTF podcast, it was a pretty great interview.

I literally just watched the first half of "The Warriors" last winter. I saw it recommended as a cult classic but that's all I could handle. It was pretty terrible!

Edit: FYI, a few years ago Walter Hill was a guest on the WTF podcast, it was a pretty great interview.
I think the Orphans scene and the Lizzies party were near perfect funny action. It is not written to be funny. Written to be tense or having a good time for the latter. They both make you laugh (at least me) when the scene is done. The Baseball Furies scene was my favorite in the movie. Them clowns were scary.

What are some movies generally considered bad, but you like?

Some of my list...

MacGruber
Step Brothers
Rad
A Night at the Roxbury
The Counselor
Mojave
Valerian and the City of One Thousand Planets
Starship Troopers (Debatable if it's considered a bad movie or not)
Cabin Boy

Reactions: redfanusa
Big Trouble in Little China
Bring It On (go ahead, take my man card away).
Boondock Saints (loved this movie growing up, but I watched it about a year ago (I'm 38) for the first time in forever and it was terrible. I won't ever watch it again & will choose to remember it as a great flick).
Big Trouble is a great watch.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a solid show, poking fun at bad movies

I'm seeing a pattern in the choices..lots of older cult movies and bawdy comedies. How about some recent movies that received poor reviews, but you were pleasantly surprised when you watched them?

For me...
The Councilor
The 9th Life of Louis Drax
Horns
A Cure for Wellness
Mojave

I'm seeing a pattern in the choices..lots of older cult movies and bawdy comedies. How about some recent movies that received poor reviews, but you were pleasantly surprised when you watched them?

For me...
The Councilor
Horns
A Cure for Wellness
Mojave
Horns, that's one strange movie, pretty good though, didn't that have Harry Potter in it, not sure what his real name is.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
The head Rogue Luther had a gun and shot Cyrus. One of the Lizzies had a gun.

For me...
The Councilor
Horns
A Cure for Wellness
Mojave
God I hated The Counselor.

Balls of Fury has entered the chat.
My roommates and I watched Big Trouble in Little China 4x in a weekend back in the day. After the last time, one roomie says "I still can't decide if it's brilliant or terrible." Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT