ADVERTISEMENT

OSU McCord

with collin klein taking the aTm o'coordinator job last night, i have to wonder if he'll take will howard with him to college station? nice to have that relationship during the first/transitional year.
Was that a surprise or expected in Manhattan? My brother in law is a emaw, I'm guessing he's upset

I will be disappointed if Rhule and Satterfield settle for Blake Shapen. If he is brought in with another QB that would be one thing, but if they only bring him in, I think that shows they just want to take the easy route and don't really want to make a big jump in improving the team. Baylor won the 3 games in 2021 that Shapen played significant minutes. He was 6-6 in 2022 and 2-6 this past season. Huskers need to start winning. With Shapen I don't think we get a winner. Please jump in with both feet, spend the money and get a winning quarterback.
Heads and shoulders better than what we've had in a while

Was that a surprise or expected in Manhattan? My brother in law is a emaw, I'm guessing he's upset
as a fan, i was disappointed but not surprised. after all, collin klein has been sought after by the likes of alabama and notre dame earlier, turning down the o'coordinator job in south bend a year ago. and there were probably others we never heard about.

he's building his resume. besides that he's making lifetime earnings in a couple of years at aTm. he'll be a head coach somewhere in three to five years if all goes well with aggie. but that won't be in manhattan as chris klieman is just 56.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
Leavitt as THE guy we throw all our eggs into, yes. To have him to compete and develop, I think would be a good pick-up.
Can we get a throw up 🤮 emoji to the likes. There is absolutely no reason to believe he is any better than any HS recruit we can land. If he takes a lot of development, please point me to the guy in Lincoln to develop him.

landing Leavitt is like hoping to get Nike Jordan’s for Christmas but mom and dad buy you Starbury’s

If he couldn’t win the job at MSU on a 4-8 very bad offensive team, what makes me believe in him? *note he was a freshman but so was the starter. Seems like Jeff Sims 2.0

Last edited:
Before everyone gets all excited on bringing in portal players, where does Nebraska stand regarding available scholarships?

I thought they were over the limit heading into 2024?
We are likely 13 over IF no one else leaves and everyone who is committed arrives on campus and no one quits due to injury. We are fine.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Can we get a throw up 🤮 emoji to the likes. There is absolutely no reason to believe he is any better than any HS recruit we can land. If he takes a lot of development, please point me to the guy in Lincoln to develop him.

landing Leavitt is like hoping to get Nike Jordan’s for Christmas but mom and dad buy you Starbury’s

If he couldn’t win the job at MSU on a 4-8 very bad offensive team, what makes me believe in him? *note he was a freshman but so was the starter. Seems like Jeff Sims 2.0
I am with you. From the film, Leavitt isn’t that good. He’s ok. I’d actually rather roll with an MJ Morris from NC state or the kid from Utah.

I thought we made an odd portal offer to the Iowa St RB....he was their third best option towards the end of the year. We have tons of RBs already on the roster. I could see if we offered a really good one, but this one doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We will have 1-2 RBs leave but thought I'd share. I could even see Barthel trying to move onto Syracuse? Just my two cents.

As I commented on an earlier post, I would be pursuing Dequan Finn. It may be too late as Wisconsin is apparently making an all out push for Finn. I have linked some highlights from Finn's past season if anyone is interested.

As I commented on an earlier post, I would be pursuing Dequan Finn. It may be too late as Wisconsin is apparently making an all out push for Finn. I have linked some highlights from Finn's past season if anyone is interested.
If we were going for a running quarterback, he'd be my top guy for sure. But I'm a little spurned on running quarterbacks at the moment.

Reactions: jkeb and BleedRed78

You're right. He's terrible. Nothing will ever change that.

You're the smartest guy when it comes to college football. If only some program would give you the opportunity to coach there so you could turn the whole thing around.

Heads and shoulders better than what we've had in a while

I am not sure that would take too much and don't think the battle cry should be, "He is better than the Husker's bad quarterbacks ". So, what happens? The Huskers win 6 or 7 games with Shapen? Keep striving for average.

Look no further than the Husker women. Beason probably could have gone anywhere. The players on team are all good. Cook goes after the BEST!

Last edited:
I am not sure that would take too much and don't think the battle cry should be, "He is better than the Husker's bad quarterbacks ". So, what happens? The Huskers win 6 or 7 games with Shapen? Keep stiving for average.

Look no further than the Husker women. Beason probably could have gone anywhere. The players on team are all good. Cook goes after the BEST!
I as well would want the best but Shapen looks better than almost all QBs we have had in a decade plus.

this level of cope is reminding me of every offseason with Frost.

until its reflected by wins, there's nothing to prove this is the case.
Exactly. I have high hopes for Matt Rhule, BUT, after coaching the team to another 5-7 season and going into the season with Jeff Sims as the best option as the starting quarterback I think Rhule and his assistants deserve plenty of scrutiny. Why don't we fans go into a wait and see mode rather than jump in hook, line and sinker?

I as well would want the best but Shapen looks better than almost all QBs we have had in a decade plus.
Based on what? His stellar 11-15 record? (he may not even be the main reason Baylor lost all those games, but he does play the most important position on offense, so he had to be factor.)

Based on what? His stellar 11-15 record? (he may not even be the main reason Baylor lost all those games, but he does play the most important position on offense, so he had to be factor.)
winners win, right? or something like that.

The reason they lost was because their defense is hot garbage.

Leavitt was a true frosh who got on campus in August. Houser was a redshirt freshman. Leavitt was the Oregon player of the year. His brother's been in the NFL for 5 or 6 years. I think there's lots of reasons to think this kid can play a bit.

Even with taking half a dozen transfers, we still need about 20 out. Who are you cutting?
I'm not cutting anyone. Matt Rhule knows a little bit more than you or I. He is still recruiting high school players that aren't committed to NU. Do you think he would be doing that if he thought we couldn't honor all our scholarships in August?

Leavitt was a true frosh who got on campus in August. Houser was a redshirt freshman. Leavitt was the Oregon player of the year. His brother's been in the NFL for 5 or 6 years. I think there's lots of reasons to think this kid can play a bit.
Did he have offers from the Oregon schools, or Washington.

I am not sure that would take too much and don't think the battle cry should be, "He is better than the Husker's bad quarterbacks ". So, what happens? The Huskers win 6 or 7 games with Shapen? Keep striving for average.

While I agree we should go after the best, comparing Husker football (today) to Husker volleyball isn’t even close. Their ceilings are miles apart.

I’m not settling, but I’m also not setting myself up to be disappointed when the best (Dylan Raiola, the Baker kid from Cali) go elsewhere.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Did he have offers from the Oregon schools, or Washington.

He was originally committed to wazzu. Not really sure what happened there.

Had been hurt jr year, so was a late riser. Oregon St already had their QB, a pretty highly rated kid out of Cali who looked good as their backup this year and is in the portal too.

While I agree we should go after the best, comparing Husker football (today) to Husker volleyball isn’t even close. Their ceilings are miles apart.

I’m not settling, but I’m also not setting myself up to be disappointed when the best (Dylan Raiola, the Baker kid from Cali) go elsewhere.
I agree that football is down, and volleyball is on top at Nebraska, but if the Huskers keeps going after average to below average talent in football won't the results remain the same? I think if Nebraska really wants to get back to being a valid Top 25 program, then major changes are going to have occur. In today's world that will mean spending money. You have to have good coaching too. Look at Jimbo Fisher, but you need good players. Watching the Huskers play Michigan this year was like playing a pro team. The talent gap was that great. Right now, the Huskers are not on many top 5 lists for great athletes in the transfer portal because they have been losing for so long. The athletes of today do not remember the 70s thru the 90s. Nebraska is going to have to go above and beyond in their efforts to get good players. This means spending money to get the players. Only when they start winning games, playing in bowls, making the Top 25 will they create an atmosphere that attracts good to great players.

I agree that football is down, and volleyball is on top at Nebraska, but if the Huskers keeps going after average to below average talent in football won't the results remain the same? I think if Nebraska really wants to get back to being a valid Top 25 program, then major changes are going to have occur. In today's world that will mean spending money. You have to have good coaching too. Look at Jimbo Fisher, but you need good players. Watching the Huskers play Michigan this year was like playing a pro team. The talent gap was that great. Right now, the Huskers are not on many top 5 lists for great athletes in the transfer portal because they have been losing for so long. The athletes of today do not remember the 70s thru the 90s. Nebraska is going to have to go above and beyond in their efforts to get good players. This means spending money to get the players. Only when they start winning games, playing in bowls, making the Top 25 will they create an atmosphere that attracts good to great players.
Totally agree, I’m just not gonna hold my breath til it happens. Hopefully with NIL and with the best facilities around, we see it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Wasker77
Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

I'm not cutting anyone. Matt Rhule knows a little bit more than you or I. He is still recruiting high school players that aren't committed to NU. Do you think he would be doing that if he thought we couldn't honor all our scholarships in August?
You think it's just a coincidence that the exact same guys who are "motivated" to move on are the same ones who actually enter the transfer portal? If it makes you feel better, you don't have to use the word 'cutting' if you don't want, but it's the same difference.

Money and interest is how you get interest back in the transfer portal. Doubt McCord would have had us in his top 5 until we showed money and interest first.

You think it's just a coincidence that the exact same guys who are "motivated" to move on are the same ones who actually enter the transfer portal? If it makes you feel better, you don't have to use the word 'cutting' if you don't want, but it's the same difference.
Use Lynum for example. From Florida. Been here 4 years. Started 1 game IIRC. He could probably go to FIU or FAU and start. Or probably go to SFU or UCF and at least play the same amount with his family at every game. And maybe we weren't willing to pay any NIL and they are. Or maybe Indiana or someone likes him and is willing to overpay him. You would honestly have a problem with that?

Just since we've been having the over signing back and forth yesterday we lost 2 players- Lynum and that commit. This isn't that big of deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT