ADVERTISEMENT

Oh boy, Hal Daub wants 3 players off the team (UPDATE with Pres. Bounds comments: page 2, post 52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hal Dab and Pete Ricketts are politicians.

I really dislike Ricketts. But, it is unfair to lump his comments in with Daub's. Sure, he said it was "disgraceful," and I would prefer he just take the higher ground on stuff like this, but he also indicated it was their right to protest. Daub, the eternal bully, decided to use his position to imply a threat. Ricketts was expressing his opinion. Daub abused his office and demonstrated a clear lack understanding of what that position is, or what the mission of a university is.

I remember disliking Daub back when he was a Congressman and I was in eighth grade. There is something surreal about him trying to intimidate one of my daughter's friends 30 some years later. How often do regents run for re-election? He needs to get retired.

Reactions: 9and4
All this idiot had to say is he don't like the method of protest. Throw in a few lines about how disappointed he is in the players then end it with "but it's their right".

End of story.
Sadly...a lot of people should be taking this advice

And kneeling is a sign of prayer, not defiance. And that is exactly what MRI said he was doing... Praying. Wow. What a slap in the face to our vets.
Read my post under the Michael Rose Ivey thread before you cast judgement at this comment... There is a reason they say "RISE" for the National Anthem. In a catholic church you kneel and you pray, but the Priest also says from time to time "Please Rise". Kneel after the National Anthem... do it in groups, I just don't like it done during the National Anthem. Just my opinion, but I am not in these players shoes.

For the record I think what Hal Daub and Ricketts are doing in return is Infinite times worse than kneeling for the National Anthem

I am just sickened at how hypocritical people are... The same people who are casting stones at Rose Ivey for expressing his "Right" for Free Speech are the same ones that Bitch about people who disagree with the "2nd Amendment" the "Right" to bear arms! Both sides are hypocrites, and need to open their minds to see there is no right answer.

They are both in the constitution people! So just like everything else what is one persons opinion, may be something that is 100% disagreed upon by another. Just because you disagree with that opinion does not give you the right to belittle the person for expressing it!

What Daub did is also disrespectful for judging Rose Ivey, shouldn't he be kicked off the board of regents? I mean it goes both ways right? I just have such little respect for anyone that belittles another, because they disagree with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Actually, I'm seeing that a win-win situation can come out of this. The governor you guys are bagging on, is in a position to put a positive spin on this.

He meets with MRI. They talk about racial injustices and proper reverence for the flag. Shake hands, smile, giggle, take pictures, plaster the pictures in the paper and on the internet. Viola, everyone gets to walk away thinking they've done something. Nebraska gets portrayed as a forward thinking state.

All the people on here that were too young to take part in the civil rights movement, get to feel like they've done their part in a battle that's already over.

The University, the state, we can rest easy knowing that we've helped further the cause.

It's nice to see that NU's leadership hasen't went completely moonbat lib. America's government is mostly based on self government. If people want to build a naritive that police are out to get them, thus they don't have to follow basic laws.
anarchy will come about. or tyranny as a reaction to anarchy.
santification (self government) is a product of the Gospel.
and the Christian liberties we enjoy is based on the Gospel.

great job by the president
President Bounds’ Statement on Free Speech

September 28, 2016

By Hank Bounds
President, University of Nebraska

To the University of Nebraska Community:

Over the past few days, our university has been at the center of a statewide conversation about free speech and the rights of student-athletes to peacefully protest. Many Nebraskans, including some of you, have expressed their opinions about the decision by three NU football players to kneel during the national anthem before Saturday's game. Some have been supportive. Others have disagreed, in some cases passionately so.

That all are free to share their view is the privilege of living in the greatest country in the world.

“College campuses, as much as any space, must be places where robust, even uncomfortable, debate is welcomed and encouraged. I want every student, faculty and staff member to know that I am unwavering in my support of your right to participate in these dialogues.”
I have served in the military. I understand love of country and love of the flag and I know that freedom is not free. I recognize that some are upset by what they saw on Saturday night. But let me be clear. The University of Nebraska will not restrict the First Amendment rights of any student or employee. Our position on this issue is abundantly clear. As stated in Board of Regents policy, which has been in place for almost a half-century: “Members of the academic community have the right to extensive latitude in making their opinions known… The public exploration and resolution of differing views can be successful only when groups and individuals discuss the issues in forums where the right to disagree, speak freely and be heard is preserved.”

The same freedoms that protect the speech of those who have joined the conversation in recent days also protect our students' speech – whether they're kneeling during the national anthem, holding the American flag on the field, praying after a game or expressing their opinion during class or on campus. All of that speech falls under the same category. All of it is protected.

Our nation is dealing with difficult issues today, as we have for virtually our entire history. Each of us will react differently. College campuses, as much as any space, must be places where robust, even uncomfortable, debate is welcomed and encouraged. I want every student, faculty and staff member to know that I am unwavering in my support of your right to participate in these dialogues in the manner you choose under the First Amendment and University of Nebraska policy.

Thank you for all that you do for the University of Nebraska. I am honored and humbled to serve with you.

Penny
I want to thank you for your great posts on this topic. I would hope you at least opened a few minds to something different than the normal narrative.

I grew up in rural Nebraska and really didn't even know a minority person before leaving for college and that is the case for many on here. Over the years I have met many from the inner city and got to know some very well and spent time there with them. It is almost impossible for someone of my background to understand the daily challenges they have. I was lucky that I was encouraged to get out learn and never quit learning.

I am back now in rural Nebraska and yes times have changed (at least some) as many small towns now have a Hispanic population that is slowly changing the narrative one person at a time. While not rapid things are changing.

Thanks again I may disagree with some of your football posts but here you are dead on.

I trust this statement will be shared with the Office of Chancellor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. A very clear statement on first amendment rights. Excellent.

Guys, it's just 3 College kids with the standard College Age Idealism. No big deal. They can choose to support a cause founded on a lie. It has no bearing on anything. They'll be married driving mini vans in about 10 years thinking about the stupid shit they did and laughing....like we all have.

The more Daub and the other fools react so poorly to this, the more necessary the gestures seem. The latent racism being covered by a patriotism blanket is getting kinda scary. Regardless of your stance on this matter, show some care and tact about the University and its athletes. I assure you, not all press is good press.
Ugh. This makes me want to vomit.

Penny
I want to thank you for your great posts on this topic. I would hope you at least opened a few minds to something different than the normal narrative.

I grew up in rural Nebraska and really didn't even know a minority person before leaving for college and that is the case for many on here. Over the years I have met many from the inner city and got to know some very well and spent time there with them. It is almost impossible for someone of my background to understand the daily challenges they have. I was lucky that I was encouraged to get out learn and never quit learning.

I am back now in rural Nebraska and yes times have changed (at least some) as many small towns now have a Hispanic population that is slowly changing the narrative one person at a time. While not rapid things are changing.

Thanks again I may disagree with some of your football posts but here you are dead on.
Thanks. I am not trying to be a pedantic know it all, nor a judgemental Judy. Lol. Lots of different opinions on here. But it has been largely respectful. Good thread.

It seems to me that the leadership at UNL has had a lot of opportunities to go out in front of the press on issues. From issues about supporting gay athletes, to bringing in Brenda Tracey, to dealing with Keith Williams's DUI, and now to this. I have been consistently impressed with the wisdom and maturity shown by all of the leaders of my alma mater. It's things like this press release that truly make me proud to say I am a graduate of the University of Nebraska. Thank you president Bounds.

-A Grateful Alumnus

Sounds good, but it is BS. Chancellor Ronnie Green said in August “In other words, here in the UNL community, we encourage you to speak up but if you say the wrong thing we will not tolerate it.”

The hypocrisy of the President saying what he said while the Chancellor saying UNL won't tolerate saying the wrong thing is almost beyond belief.

If merged, so be it but it'd be nice if the subject title is included in the post that gets merged.

I'm not a fan of Regent Daub representing the University like this. Chancellor Green is now in a very difficult position, as is Eichorst. I sure hope someone grabs our "leaders" in to a room and figure this out. I'm not a fan of what the three players did, nor am I a fan of what other athletes are doing however, it is their right. Regardless of how much it irks me, at least at this point in time, they have a right to do this.

With that said, as others have mentioned, this decision is creating more controversy. Who it's helped remains a mystery, till further notice.
black lives matter came to UNL on nov 19th 2015 did anyone go ? was it peaceful?

Last edited:
black lives matter coming to UNL on nov 19th. 12.20 to 2.00pm. on facebook page.. ill get my popcorn and lawn chair. excited to see what University officials are lynched and who gets beaten up for being being there to watch? love it, my brothers told me about the 60s riots in omaha... i cant wait. going to have my American flag ready and proudly wave.. i will be well protected.
More likely than not it will be perfectly peaceful like the previous BLM rallies that have occurred in Lincoln, Omaha, and Kearney.

Sounds good, but it is BS. Chancellor Ronnie Green said in August “In other words, here in the UNL community, we encourage you to speak up but if you say the wrong thing we will not tolerate it.”

The hypocrisy of the President saying what he said while the Chancellor saying UNL won't tolerate saying the wrong thing is almost beyond belief.
I was just on Chancellor Green's university blog and I was unable to find anything similar to what you were saying he said. Could you provide a link? Further, are you certain the situations were similar enough that you could rightly cry hypocrisy here? Without finding your source here I can't make that determination myself, so some connection to the information that you are basing your opinion on would help me understand why you would call my university's leaders hypocrites (and whether you are justified in doing so). TIA.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was just on Chancellor Green's university blog and I was unable to find anything similar to what you were saying he said. Could you provide a link? Further, are you certain the situations were similar enough that you could rightly cry hypocrisy here? Without finding your source here I can't make that determination myself, so some connection to the information that you are basing your opinion on would help me understand why you would call my university's leaders hypocrites (and whether you are justified in doing so). TIA.
I was curious about this as well, and I think it was in regard to hate speech.. I did find this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ements-new-non-negotiable-respect-policy.html

I'm not sure one overlaps the other, but it is interesting to compare and contrast.

Ok, so I have not read all of the posts on this situation in the forums and don't know if this has been brought up, but as MRI said in his statement he knelt along with the other two players during the national anthem and PRAYED. Has there been any questions brought up by the ACLU or FFRF (The Freedom From Religion Foundation) about MRI using this situation as a forum to pray as a player at a public institution. From what I could tell from MRI's statement he is Christian. He talked about God and even quoted the bible during his statement.

Near the end of his time hear Coach Ron Brown was involved in a situation where some people wanted him fired because of his christian belief that homosexuality was a sin. I also believe that in the early 2000's he applied for the Stanford head coach position, but was passed over because of his strong christian beliefs.

I realize these are vastly different situations, but prayer and religion is part of the MRI discussion as he brought them up in his statement. I do not know the extent of MRI's beliefs, but does that at all change the narrative or how this is looked at by anyone or either side of the debate?

Ok, so I have not read all of the posts on this situation in the forums and don't know if this has been brought up, but as MRI said in his statement he knelt along with the other two players during the national anthem and PRAYED. Has there been any questions brought up by the ACLU or FFRF (The Freedom From Religion Foundation) about MRI using this situation as a forum to pray as a player at a public institution. From what I could tell from MRI's statement he is Christian. He talked about God and even quoted the bible during his statement.

Near the end of his time hear Coach Ron Brown was involved in a situation where some people wanted him fired because of his christian belief that homosexuality was a sin. I also believe that in the early 2000's he applied for the Stanford head coach position, but was passed over because of his strong christian beliefs.

I realize these are vastly different situations, but prayer and religion is part of the MRI discussion as he brought them up in his statement. I do not know the extent of MRI's beliefs, but does that at all change the narrative or how this is looked at by anyone or either side of the debate?

ACLU of Nebraska came out in support of the players but didn't make any mention of prayer.

I was curious about this as well, and I think it was in regard to hate speech.. I did find this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ements-new-non-negotiable-respect-policy.html

I'm not sure one overlaps the other, but it is interesting to compare and contrast.
Thanks for finding that! I do think that "policy of respectfulness" is a nice idea but falls woefully short of being useful or even fair. Who decides what's appropriately respectful? What constitutes hate rhetoric from a legal standpoint? Good luck defining any of the things singled out by this "policy" (and I use the term sarcastically) in a consistent manner.

As far as hypocrisy goes, Husker.Wed, I'd say that there is some unintentional hypocrisy there, stemming from the fact that Mr Green's idea was so poorly fleshed out. The difference in tone between the two releases goes to show that if the protester is perceived to be "a good guy" that more leniency is afforded. Not that that's right, but out in the world things like that make a difference. So I guess the moral of this story is, don't be an a-hole and people will treat you better!

Daub and Ivey have the right to voice their opinions. I am a veteran and I don't like the protest. That does not make me a racist. I don't like abortion or the death penalty. Even though those are both legal, being against both doesn't make me anti American.

My opinion on the protest and BLM is that they are going after the low hanging fruit of the issues. Sure we want to clean up the issue bad policing. But in my opinion there many underlying issues to this problem.

There are major job issues and other issues that these protest completely ignore and can't solve. Do your own research. Don't rely on politicians, college students, etc. There is a wealth of data you can find to come up with your own root cause of problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...micide-clearance-rate-20160909-story,amp.html

The two things are not even remotely connected. They refer to two totally separate things. What you are referring to was a controversy inflamed by a dubious right-wing news site(for the record, I am a strong conservative, so please don't accuse me of being some left-winger).

I can only imagine what other coaches are telling our recruits right now..

*smh*
That if you go to Nebraska you will have the complete support of a coaching staff that fully believes in an individuals right to Freedom of Speech and that as a person of color a door has been opened for a difficult but necessary dialogue to take place.

I'm a 62 white guy, And am not a big fan of protests which are aimed at police or show disrepect to the flag.....(THAT BEING SAID).......I do not walk in the same shoes as African Americans and believe they should be able to voice their opinions provided it is done in a peaceful manner. That's the freedom we have in this country. I support our 3 players!

I'm a republican who has voted for both Daub & Ricketts -but if Hal Daub (a representative of the University) can voice his opinion than the players should also be allowed to voice theirs.

As far as the threats & racist comments expressed to these players, I am saddened to hear it (but not surprised). You can have a different opinion, but there is no place for it. I will be standing for the flag this Saturday -but I respect their right to kneal down.

I am presently working on projects to show support for Police officers here in Omaha. I find the vast majority of them to be great human beings working under difficult situations. I would hope that minorities would be objective enough to know that sometimes the evidence shows the police (both black & white) act appropriately. When they do -they should be supported. When the evidence shows they acted inappropriately, they should suffer the consequences.

body cams and instant tranquilizers to replace tazers (for the hard of hearing).
officers discretion to use gun or tranquilizer in accord to state training, and level of danger to the officer and or public.

problem solved next topic.

Reactions: RedSea
Clicked on the San Diego Shooting link... This man was not shot because he was Black, people need to understand the words Resisting Arrest... Damn this shit pissed me off. I highlighted in Red what seems to be exactly what is wrong with people.

A San Diego suburb braced for more protests Wednesday after the shooting death of a black man by police who was reportedly acting erratically and assumed what officers called a "shooting stance" in the encounter.

Officers were called around 2 p.m. PT Tuesday to the Broadway Village Shopping Center in El Cajon, Calif., about 15 miles northeast of San Diego, after hearing reports of an uncooperative person walking into traffic, El Cajon police said in a statement. They said the man did not have a weapon.

El Cajon Police Chief Jeff Davis said at a news conference: "At one point the male rapidly drew an object from his front pants pocket, placed both hands together on it and extended it rapidly towards the officer taking what appeared to be a shooting stance, putting the object in the officer's face.

"At this time one of the officers discharged his Taser in an effort to subdue the subject. Simultaneously the officer who had the object pointed at him discharged his firearm, striking the male."

He did not say what the object was but acknowledged it was not a weapon. Davis said investigators were reviewing the video and other video recovered from the scene, which so far coincided with the officers' statements.

Authorities said officers provided first aid on the scene and took the man to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officers responded to an erratic subject that ended with an officer involved shooting. We will post updates here as they are available.

— El Cajon Police (@elcajonpolice) September 27, 2016
Officers described him as an African American in his 30s. The man was named by some media as Alfred Olango, 30.

Davis urged residents to remain calm. “This will be transparent. This will be looked at by multiple sets of eyes, and not just ours,” he said of the investigation.

The shooting incident comes days after protests broke out in Charlotte, N.C., and Tulsa, Okla., over the officer-involved shooting deaths of Keith Lamont Scott andTerence Crutcher, respectively, prompting people at the scene and online to raise more questions about relations between U.S. law enforcement and black communities.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Why the f*** are you posting that in this thread? Reply to the commentary regarding our football program or take it elsewhere.

The same reason 3 players protested on the sidelines of a Nebraska football game. You know, the game that had nothing to do with injustice, but they have a right to do it. Just like that poster has a right to post something.

And what he posted is directly tied in to why some have decided to protest in the first place.

The same reason 3 players protested on the sidelines of a Nebraska football game. You know, the game that had nothing to do with injustice, but they have a right to do it. Just like that poster has a right to post something.

And what he posted is directly tied in to why some have decided to protest in the first place.
Thanks. Beat me to it. Don't understand Archie's beef here

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Why the f*** are you posting that in this thread? Reply to the commentary regarding our football program or take it elsewhere.
Because it has everything to do with what they are protesting. Sorry if you disagree, but none of this thread has anything to do with Football? Am I wrong?

We
Because it has everything to do with what they are protesting. Sorry if you disagree, but none of this thread has anything to do with Football? Am I wrong?
well, it is related to football in the sense that our football players protested just this sort of thing. That said, sounds like the officers in this case reacted properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT