ADVERTISEMENT

Oh boy, Hal Daub wants 3 players off the team (UPDATE with Pres. Bounds comments: page 2, post 52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should'nt be allowed to use NU football as a soapbox,
what if the kkk wanted to protest black people by percentage being by far the highest to commit murder and collect welfare, and using NU football and the national anthem to do so?
is it their right to use a tax funded university to do so?
They have Trump for that now

Several black friends of mine, many who are retired military, have noted that it is a little curious that an Islamic radical can conduct a bombing and get in a shootout with police, and they still manage to bring him in, but black Americans can have their hands up and not get to the station alive.
Hell the kid in South Carolina got a ride through Burger King

just a "what if" for perspective. not directed at your post. would everyone be ok with Caucasian players protesting white men killed by police, and players giving a white power gesture during the anthem? remember many many white males die at the hands of police, whites recieve more welfare and require assistance in absolute numbers then any race by far.
I think white players protesting would be criticized for trying to bring light to the lowest level of species in the white community. No doubt white people die at the hands of police, but when you review the situations, you can usually see they created their own circumstances.

And the poor white trash demographic is unfortunately growing. You are seeing a growing number of white people not graduating from high school, guys getting girls pregnant and leaving them to raise the kids alone and girls laying on their back getting pregnant by any swinging dick for higher welfare payout, more refusing to work entry level jobs and demanding to be paid more for work a monkey can do, more escaping into perpetual drunkenness and getting high, and on and on.

Perfect recipients for a f***ed up life - only to blame their hell hole on the kids that studied in school and got bullied for being "nerds" who chose the proven path of graduating high school, working any job available and getting married first, then having kids.

Ran across this on Twitter as I'm getting ready for bed. If the numbers are accurate; which I feel 42 is 42 too many but we also have to face it, we don't live in a perfectly country, this puts the purpose of discussion in a different light. Based on media reports, and some outrage on here thoughout some different threads, one would think we live in Libya.

And for the record, no I don't follow this user. Somehow the tweet showed up in my apps highlight option, but I have no idea what that even is since I follow predominantly sports accounts.

Let's use your number of 3 per day - many reports show less than 1 per day - but let's go with 3. 44 people are murdered every day on average - and that number is exploding now since the "attention" has been brought upon police. Using your number, you are focusing on the cause of less than 7% of the murders. The math suggests you are focusing on the wrong problem.

I have been a proponent of "black lives matter" since Columbine. Watching the media collapse all over the murder of 13 white or middle class kids, while 15000 young people of color died every year during the 90s, some areas like LA, and Chicago fell into the category of "war zones" according to the UN. And the complete ignorance of white america to the problem, while they worried about trench coats in their suburban schools. I too am a bit perplexed by how focused the protests are on police brutality, and not the effects of high poverty rates, and murder rates on minority neighborhoods throughout the country. Including the mental health issues caused by growing up in an area with no education and high levels of stress caused the constant chance of violence. Although the same people that ignore people of color, also ignore soldiers coming home with PTSD, soldiers that have to face divorce rates of 75-90% and suicide rates up to 10 times greater than the non-serving populace. The treatment of minorities in our country is such a big issue and to me police brutality is one of the easiest issues to fix, which is why the focus may fall there. I fear the issues will not even begin to be resolved until minorities become the majority, and that is not too far away.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Can't recall where I saw it, but someone also suggested that the "unarmed" category may include cases where someone is making an attempt to take the cops gun away from him and gets shot in the process. So cases where someone is shot at a distance while unarmed are very rare.

Can't recall where I saw it, but someone also suggested that the "unarmed" category may include cases where someone is making an attempt to take the cops gun away from him and gets shot in the process. So cases where someone is shot at a distance while unarmed are very rare.

I put the 1000 killed by cops in because I read it on cnn. After further research, the only data we can rely on over the last decade, are self reported "justifiable" homicides. This number sits at an average of 400, justifiable homicides. Of course the numbers would be different if they were compiled by outside agencies. This issue is so much more than numbers, although each shooting can lead to protests. The issue is really similar to executions of the innocent. We really can't point and say, well, only 1 innocent person is executed every year, and feel that this is appropriate. Justice for the innocent is the bedrock of our justice system. When the innocent can be killed or injured randomly, and the system decides it is acceptable, that is when the system becomes broken. Every single shooting of an unarmed individual points to a broken system, and institutional racism plays a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT