ADVERTISEMENT

Oh boy, Hal Daub wants 3 players off the team (UPDATE with Pres. Bounds comments: page 2, post 52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it has everything to do with what they are protesting. Sorry if you disagree, but none of this thread has anything to do with Football? Am I wrong?

I'll retract. Appraently I didn't read the thread closey enough to see the debate about the events on the ground, i.e., I thought this was largely a thread about what is happening at Nebraska.

I presumed since you quoted my post you'd comment on the article I posted. Not something else.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The same reason 3 players protested on the sidelines of a Nebraska football game. You know, the game that had nothing to do with injustice, but they have a right to do it. Just like that poster has a right to post something.

And what he posted is directly tied in to why some have decided to protest in the first place.

Sheesh. I'm obviously not attempting to restrict his/her rights to post. That's not even possible.

I thought this thread was about Nebraska. Not the events causing the protests at Nebraska.

I'll retract. Appraently I didn't read the thread closey enough to see the debate about the events on the ground, i.e., I thought this was largely a thread about what is happening at Nebraska.
I get why it would make you upset. I honestly am beside myself on both sides of this issue. I don't know what to do anymore and I have to vent elsewhere than just to my Wife

I get why it would make you upset. I honestly am beside myself on both sides of this issue. I don't know what to do anymore and I have to vent elsewhere than just to my Wife

All good. Mostly I just wanted to keep the focus on our players, our UNL leadership, etc. But no big deal. Apologies for coming off like an ass.

The shit storm. Wasn't sure exactly what path it would take, or who the figures were going to be, but the final score was a gimme. Fans are spilt, and regardless of the player quotes you've read you know some of them are pissed, IE-spilt. What a crappy situation.
Bingo! I don't disparage MRI's right to voice his opinion or stand up for what he believes. We all of this right and should do it when appropriate. With that said, it's the platform MRI has used, a NU football game, to make his political statement that really frustrates me. As a student of UNL, there are other ways to voice your protest. Campuses have done this for years.

While I'm sure MRI's intentions/concerns are genuine, I have to question if he really contemplated the bigger picture and ramifications of his actions prior to the game at NWU last week.

It took several years for NU fans to come together after the divisive nature of our last HC. This fan base has been so unified and our team has seemed to really come together and find it's identity. I'm not saying football is more important that life changing issues. But my goodness, your team is 4-0, ranked #15 in the nation and now you take an individual step to undermine that?

People can share their opinions all they want. Bottom line is there are federal and state individual rights that must be acknowledged.......and the Board of Regents have written policies on allowing peaceful demonstrations that must be followed.

Pray without ceasing MRI!!!

I am not claiming superior knowledge of how it feels to be a black male in the inner city. In fact, I am claiming the opposite: I don't know how it feels at all. And that is because I am a white suburbanite. Therefore, I too am ignorant. But that is precisely why I DON'T get to speak for MRI and presume to tell him what the "best" and "most appropriate" forms of peaceful protest are. And that is what many on here are doing.

And yes, we have been hearing this refrain for 50+ years. But that is because it is a real problem, not a fake one, and the problem is chronic and won't go away. So now we are left with trying to find solutions. The causes are obviously complex and the solutions will need to be too. I betcha MRI knows this. But one thing is certain: despite the causes and solutions, cops should not be shooting unarmed men. Some of these shootings are justified. But many are not. As in Tulsa. As I said, my brother is a cop. I have no desire to trash cops. But there is a lot of empirical evidence out there that there is a real problem here that must be addressed.

And their cause is hardly "ill defined". They want police to stop shooting unarmed people. Very specific it seems to me

Curious, does your brother the cop believe, like you, that there is a national systematic problem with cops shooting unarmed people without justification? I'm not persuaded that there is such a problem. With over 300,000,000 people in this country, and police in every city, there are going to be occasional errors. But the "American cops are out of control racists" line that is being pushed is B.S. as near as I can tell. Like it or not, police have a right to use deadly force, and just because an error in judgment or panic or something occasionally leads to an error, does not justify raising hell every time someone is shot by a policeman, especially when the hell is raised before the authorities even have time to review what happened. In this last Charlotte shooting, the deceased man's family said he just had a book in his hand, and his wife published a video (why is she taking videos when her dear husband is at gunpoint by the way?) in which she is ranting that he didn't have a gun, but he did have a gun, and he didn't have a book, and today we read that she reported to police previously that he carried a gun. The incident didn't provide evidence of a systematic problem with cops, it provides more evidence of a systematic problem with people who hate cops.

Reactions: Bugeater
Curious, does your brother the cop believe, like you, that there is a national systematic problem with cops shooting unarmed people without justification? I'm not persuaded that there is such a problem. With over 300,000,000 people in this country, and police in every city, there are going to be occasional errors. But the "American cops are out of control racists" line that is being pushed is B.S. as near as I can tell. Like it or not, police have a right to use deadly force, and just because an error in judgment or panic or something occasionally leads to an error, does not justify raising hell every time someone is shot by a policeman, especially when the hell is raised before the authorities even have time to review what happened. In this last Charlotte shooting, the deceased man's family said he just had a book in his hand, and his wife published a video (why is she taking videos when her dear husband is at gunpoint by the way?) in which she is ranting that he didn't have a gun, but he did have a gun, and he didn't have a book, and today we read that she reported to police previously that he carried a gun. The incident didn't provide evidence of a systematic problem with cops, it provides more evidence of a systematic problem with people who hate cops.
Yes, my brother thinks there is a problem. He is a cop in Chicago. But he says the problem is not rooted in racism but economic class. That is why, he says, even black cops get trigger happy with black suspects. My brother says that if you look at the problem carefully he thinks we would see just as many poor white males getting shot by police as black males. The problem is poverty and gangs and drugs according to him.

You might be surprised to know that I am not necessarily in disagreement with you. I don't think our police departments are crawling with trigger happy racists either. But I do think there is too much excessive force used by police in too many situations. I have seen it myself. Nor do I condone the riots. But that is why I do strongly support peaceful civil disobedience as a means of drawing attention to the problem of excessive police force in our communities.

And I agree with you about the lady in Charlotte. Her whole taping of the incident seemed cold. She did not seem too concerned with her husband. And she lied about his gun.

Reactions: RedSea
Pretty sure the protests started when unarmed black people were shot. When unarmed black people stop getting shot on camera then the protests will stop having traction. Considering the police kill 3 people a day in America, the protests will probably continue.
Let's use your number of 3 per day - many reports show less than 1 per day - but let's go with 3. 44 people are murdered every day on average - and that number is exploding now since the "attention" has been brought upon police. Using your number, you are focusing on the cause of less than 7% of the murders. The math suggests you are focusing on the wrong problem.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Sounds good, but it is BS. Chancellor Ronnie Green said in August “In other words, here in the UNL community, we encourage you to speak up but if you say the wrong thing we will not tolerate it.”

The hypocrisy of the President saying what he said while the Chancellor saying UNL won't tolerate saying the wrong thing is almost beyond belief.
Congratulations, you have just figured out politics.

Daub and Ivey have the right to voice their opinions. I am a veteran and I don't like the protest. That does not make me a racist. I don't like abortion or the death penalty. Even though those are both legal, being against both doesn't make me anti American.

My opinion on the protest and BLM is that they are going after the low hanging fruit of the issues. Sure we want to clean up the issue bad policing. But in my opinion there many underlying issues to this problem.

There are major job issues and other issues that these protest completely ignore and can't solve. Do your own research. Don't rely on politicians, college students, etc. There is a wealth of data you can find to come up with your own root cause of problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...micide-clearance-rate-20160909-story,amp.html
Very well stated. 264 people have been murdered in our country since these young men's protest. Statistically, 1 (ONE) of the murders have come from the hands of a police officer. You are absolutely correct on the low hanging fruit statement.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Very well stated. 264 people have been murdered in our country since these young men's protest. Statistically, 1 (ONE) of the murders have come from the hands of a police officer. You are absolutely correct on the low hanging fruit statement.

just a "what if" for perspective. not directed at your post. would everyone be ok with Caucasian players protesting white men killed by police, and players giving a white power gesture during the anthem? remember many many white males die at the hands of police, whites recieve more welfare and require assistance in absolute numbers then any race by far.

just a "what if" for perspective. not directed at your post. would everyone be ok with Caucasian players protesting white men killed by police, and players giving a white power gesture during the anthem? remember many many white males die at the hands of police, whites recieve more welfare and require assistance in absolute numbers then any race by far.

I'm sure I have already posted this, but facts are facts

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

and this one shows the hypocrisy of it all

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7353/...black-lives-matter-amanda-prestigiacomo#modal

Once again please read my comments in Michael Rose Ivey post before you flip out on me and cast judgement. To summarize it so you don't have to go back. I disagree with it, but I respect their rights. I am not in their shoes!

Edit: And for the record I am an Obama supporter... Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says or does though. To many Extremists on both sides, and it is very VERY sad

Last edited:
That said, sounds like the officers in this case reacted properly

This probably touches on the biggest difference in perception between how whites and blacks see this issue. An article quotes a police chief, who talks about the incident and talks about how everything was kosher. A decent percentage of whites (or suburban, middle class...regardless of race, if you prefer) read that and say, "ok...sounds like the cops reacted properly." A decent percentage of blacks (or urban poor) read that and say, "ok...sounds like police chief isn't going to do anything about it." Many of the folks who have issues with the cops, don't trust the cops to be truthful. So rather than assuring them that it wasn't really a problem, they see it as evidence that the problem will not be addressed by the system. The only way to address it is by going outside the system - protest.

So what's the truth here? I don't know. One cop saw the exact same situation and concluded his tazer was the correct solution. The other one thought that his gun was required. Turns out, the one who thought "gun" was wrong, as the suspect was unarmed. Was his conclusion an unreasonable one? Don't know. I can't say the police chief's opinion on the matter is very persuasive.

What I do know is that cops do, sometimes, lie and cover for each other. In the OJ trial, the fact that Furman perjured himself about the use of the "n" word was fairly minor. The fact that not a single police officer broke the code and called him out on it was huge. Many blacks do not trust the cops or the system that keeps them in check. Until that trust is established, you're going to see reactions to shootings of unarmed civilians.

They should'nt be allowed to use NU football as a soapbox,
what if the kkk wanted to protest black people by percentage being by far the highest to commit murder and collect welfare, and using NU football and the national anthem to do so?
is it their right to use a tax funded university to do so?

This probably touches on the biggest difference in perception between how whites and blacks see this issue. An article quotes a police chief, who talks about the incident and talks about how everything was kosher. A decent percentage of whites (or suburban, middle class...regardless of race, if you prefer) read that and say, "ok...sounds like the cops reacted properly." A decent percentage of blacks (or urban poor) read that and say, "ok...sounds like police chief isn't going to do anything about it." Many of the folks who have issues with the cops, don't trust the cops to be truthful. So rather than assuring them that it wasn't really a problem, they see it as evidence that the problem will not be addressed by the system. The only way to address it is by going outside the system - protest.

So what's the truth here? I don't know. One cop saw the exact same situation and concluded his tazer was the correct solution. The other one thought that his gun was required. Turns out, the one who thought "gun" was wrong, as the suspect was unarmed. Was his conclusion an unreasonable one? Don't know. I can't say the police chief's opinion on the matter is very persuasive.

What I do know is that cops do, sometimes, lie and cover for each other. In the OJ trial, the fact that Furman perjured himself about the use of the "n" word was fairly minor. The fact that not a single police officer broke the code and called him out on it was huge. Many blacks do not trust the cops or the system that keeps them in check. Until that trust is established, you're going to see reactions to shootings of unarmed civilians.
Great post. The reason why I said it looks like they acted properly here is that I think I remember reading that there is video of the encounter. Could be wrong

Several black friends of mine, many who are retired military, have noted that it is a little curious that an Islamic radical can conduct a bombing and get in a shootout with police, and they still manage to bring him in, but black Americans can have their hands up and not get to the station alive.

Several black friends of mine, many who are retired military, have noted that it is a little curious that an Islamic radical can conduct a bombing and get in a shootout with police, and they still manage to bring him in, but black Americans can have their hands up and not get to the station alive.
don't most mohamidans blow themselves up in that situation?

Great post. The reason why I said it looks like they acted properly here is that I think I remember reading that there is video of the encounter. Could be wrong

So you are saying... If you were the police officer that had the "Non Weapon" pointed at you. You would just taze him? There is still a chance that trigger would be pulled? I have a wife and a child at home, and I am telling you any normal human would react the same way that police officer did. In that situation it is my life or his, and I'm not taking the risk... sorry

Watch the Video the guy acted as if he had a gun. Why do that? That is like asking to be shot, In no way shape or form was it wrong for that police officer to shoot him in self defense. He may not of had a gun, but he acted like he did. To me there is no difference in that situation

Quite a number of them don't.
well then I guess they are not mohamidans then.

I'm going back to my safe spaces, where the only NU football talk should be blow-out wins against wisconson, ohio state and bama...in that order. oh and Michigan if they get to the BIG champ game.

So you are saying... If you were the police officer that had the "Non Weapon" pointed at you. You would just taze him? There is still a chance that trigger would be pulled? I have a wife and a child at home, and I am telling you any normal human would react the same way that police officer did. In that situation it is my life or his, and I'm not taking the risk... sorry

Watch the Video the guy acted as if he had a gun. Why do that? That is like asking to be shot, In no way shape or form was it wrong for that police officer to shoot him in self defense. He may not of had a gun, but he acted like he did. To me there is no difference in that situation

I'm saying, "don't know." Which is why I wrote, "Don't know."
If the video makes it obvious, then hopefully tensions will quickly dissipate. I haven't watched the video. The difference between having a gun and not having a gun is that the latter is up to interpretation on whether the officer could reasonably believe there was a threat.
Perhaps one solution to this issue is encouraging more videos (body cams or from civilians). Anyone remember a couple years ago in Omaha where cops chased a bystander into a house because he was taking video of an arrest? Nobody was killed, but it is indicative of cops trying to operate without accountability. If there wasn't a second guy videoing the whole thing, without the cops noticing, how many people would have believed the criminals' version of the story?

Sheesh. I'm obviously not attempting to restrict his/her rights to post. That's not even possible.

I thought this thread was about Nebraska. Not the events causing the protests at Nebraska.

Based on your vulgar response, it felt like you were.

It's a five page thread, very few stay "on topic" this long through it. There's been some very good discussion going on, and would've hate to see your response derail it to personal attacks.

Appreciate the response, moving on.

I'm saying, "don't know." Which is why I wrote, "Don't know."
If the video makes it obvious, then hopefully tensions will quickly dissipate. I haven't watched the video. The difference between having a gun and not having a gun is that the latter is up to interpretation on whether the officer could reasonably believe there was a threat.
Perhaps one solution to this issue is encouraging more videos (body cams or from civilians). Anyone remember a couple years ago in Omaha where cops chased a bystander into a house because he was taking video of an arrest? Nobody was killed, but it is indicative of cops trying to operate without accountability. If there wasn't a second guy videoing the whole thing, without the cops noticing, how many people would have believed the criminals' version of the story?
It was said to be his Vaporizer

Actually, if I'm an opposing coaching talking to our recruits, I show them this thread
I'm guessing this is why you aren't an opposing coach...

If a player tells our coaches that an opposing coach is negative recruiting against them, I would think they probably have a pretty good response ready.

I don't know, I just get that sense that our coaches can handle any negative recruiting this might present... like reminding said player that the coaching staff will not bow to knee jerk reactions from some fans...

While I don't disagree with your point, what I believe gets missed in these discussions is that our Constitution requires state actors to behave differently than "any normal human" might under similar circumstances. The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment provide that the state cannot deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Most (if not all) state constitutions have similar clauses. Police are agents of the state. Every time a criminal suspect is killed by a state actor without a trial, there is a constitutional crisis whether or not the killing was justified under state statute or common law.

Of course, a police officer has the right to self-defense. But the framers of our Constitution didn't draft a stand-your-ground exception to the 5th or 14th Amendments. A policy of deescalation and arrest should be emphasized and utilized in all but the most limited circumstances.

I just love how everyone assumes all of these cases are the same. They are not. As a former cop in the military, I can tell you most of these shootings wouldn't have been kosher. However, a few of them would have been. The shooting of the man in Minnesota and definitely the man in Charlotte, would have been acceptable. The guy in Charlotte had a gun and prior history of violence. WTF did you expect? They guy in Minnesota had a gun on him and was moving around. He did have a license for the gun but his license doesn't out rule the authority of a police officer and he should have known that with carrying a gun, you cant make sudden moves like he did.

Or how about Alfred Olango? Why the F would you hold a Viper device at a cop like it was a gun. I mean all of these deaths could have been avoided. Lets be brutally honest. Notice that not in one of these videos do we see the victim obeying the officers. Not one. You know why that is? Because had they simply complied with the officers, they'd be alive and all of this would be a non-issue.

Also, I don't understand how we can call this police violence racism. Black vs white and its BS propaganda. Everyone burry their head in the sand. Forget that it was black officers who shot black men in both the Baltimore & Charlotte shootings. Also both cities Chief of Police are black men. But see that doesn't make for great headlines. And in many of these shootings, black officers have been involved.

More whites are shot by cops every year. Maybe blacks are shot more pro-rata, but there are still more whites shot in actually body counts. If we want bad cops off the streets "all lives" need to matter. All races need to come together. And its finally starting. A lesser known police shooting happened in LA a few days ago. LAPD shot a white homeless man for unknown reasons. BLM actually came out and protested for him, yelling "white lives matter". It's not as publically known cause racism sells more advertisements that race unity every will.

I just love how everyone assumes all of these cases are the same.

I don't know of anyone who is saying all of these cases are the same. I was pointing out that the reaction to the police chief's statements are going to be viewed differently based on your previous interactions with the police and your perception them.

Honestly, I don't research each one of the cases. Occasionally there is something that sounds so egregious that I read up on it. Sometimes what I thought was really bad, turns out to be not nearly so bad. Sometimes it's just as bad as it seems. Sometimes, like the Omaha cops chasing down the guy with the cell phone, the consequences aren't that bad, but it's a pretty solid indication of an abusive culture.

I'm sure I have already posted this, but facts are facts

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

and this one shows the hypocrisy of it all

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7353/...black-lives-matter-amanda-prestigiacomo#modal

Once again please read my comments in Michael Rose Ivey post before you flip out on me and cast judgement. To summarize it so you don't have to go back. I disagree with it, but I respect their rights. I am not in their shoes!

Edit: And for the record I am an Obama supporter... Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says or does though. To many Extremists on both sides, and it is very VERY sad
i agree.. it is tuff this is not a gotcha response, more of a make one think response. . i had many police say to me white trash are the worst and bust thier asses anytime they can. but i grew up in a 1200 sqft home 8 of us for a while. so im guessing that meets the definition of white trash in this entitled society.. poor is an affliction that is not one color. do police go after white trash, hell yes they do.. violently, hell ya.. do poor white americans boys who play college football have a right to show a white power symbol or gesture? if the answer is no, because they havent suffered enough, then there is going to be issues.. btw, i am not for this, more being provocative..

Screw Hal & Ricketts, the despicable ignorant runts that will always exist in society trying to pull it down. Here is a leader and my leader that I am proud to follow. He didn't have to do it and is the only corporate leader to speak out on it. About time, 'Murica woke up!!

I was in school and we had some Japanese students in the dorms. They cooked food that stunk up the dorms and did not speak English. As a Nebraska kid it was almost natural to look at them and feel irritated. After some time we had some parties and they came over. We danced to OPP and I grinned with a hot Japanese girl on the makeshift dance floor. They introduced me to Soki and Once we got to know them we all da felt that they were good people learning like us. I had made love with a few of the Japanese girls during my time in the dorms. It seed like a cultural experience that they enjoyed as well. I hope this protest turns out for the good like my Japanese experience.

They should'nt be allowed to use NU football as a soapbox,
what if the kkk wanted to protest black people by percentage being by far the highest to commit murder and collect welfare, and using NU football and the national anthem to do so?
is it their right to use a tax funded university to do so?

Exactly. At such events, you can't just say "well they have free speech as Americans" and settle it that way. No administration or coaching staff is going to let disruptions go too far, and both have the right to set guidelines limiting what is done by the participants in university programs. The easiest rule would just be "leave your political protests at home when you are participating in any team event." The univ. admins and coaching staff have now decided that the rule is less restrictive than that, but only time will tell how much less.

As for me being a "lifelong academic". I was an academic for 25 years. But during that time I lived in the inner cities of Philadelphia and Trenton and New York. I ran shelters for battered women and a few soup kitchens. I now run a small farm that provides free food for these soup kitchens and a safe haven for a few refugees from East Africa. So yes... I am guilty as charged: I am a life long academic. But I am not the kind of academic that sits in an ivory tower. And I have written so much in this thread because I have passion for this issue and know a little about it.

Just as a side note, I commend you for your teaching and social service efforts. You're a better man than I am in how you have used your time on earth.

But I do generally disagree with arguments that in effect say "you don't have a right to an opinion on this issue because you aren't a black/poor/a city dweller/a woman/from Missouri/ etc. etc. Human experience is widely shared, and most adults have learned quite a bit along the way about what other people go through. So to say that "white suburbanites" can't know anything about black urbanites is not true and unfair. A few may be blissfully or maliciously ignorant, but most learned something about these issues in our hyper-educated, media-saturated culture. The "you don't know what I've been through so be quiet" "argument" is usually just a substitute for discussion of the facts of a situation. And I also disagree with the general assumption that the police in this country are not, as a whole, doing a good job of using proper restraint in most situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT