ADVERTISEMENT

Oh boy, Hal Daub wants 3 players off the team (UPDATE with Pres. Bounds comments: page 2, post 52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I'm not accusing anyone here of this, but it seems that people want protests that are easy to ignore.
Exactly! "Fight for social change but to it in ways that offend nobody and are tame!" Start a youth league!
The First Amendment is there to protect, not popular speech, but unpopular speech. Why? Because the Founders understood that democracy requires that its citizens should be able to speak truth to power in unpopular ways

We need to be thanking MRI and the other black athletes for doing this. It has to be hard to be a highly visible black person in sports as you are being pushed by more radical and violent types to take a stand with them or be accused of being a lackey for the white establishment. Most African Americans want PEACEFUL social change. But they also don't just want to work within the system as if it is business as usual.
The only other option is peaceful civil disobedience. That was the path of Ghandi and MLK.
Read Thoreau on civil disobedience and why it is sometimes necessary.
And remember... MLK was also accused of being a showboating grandstander

Last edited:
Meeting with the governor, death threats, and regent remarks are being picked up by national media and I have little doubt this picks up a lot more steam. It is becoming a major distraction. Going to every road game the press will focus on this issue, distractions are rarely good for a team. I don't see how Michael has the time to go to school, play football and lead a protest which seems the direction he is headed. Meeting the governor doesn't fall under the category of I said my peace and moving on. Will 60 minutes ambushing MR at a press conference be next...yea having LP flashbacks perhaps.

The media loves a poster child and a red state in fly over land will do just fine.

I thought protesting was a good thing in America, isn't the whole tea party thing about protesting. I hope Rose is willing to give up his football career for what he believes in. Football has never actualized a human being, but fighting for beliefs and the rights of others seems like a purely honorable thing.

Reactions: Jason R Ward
The only thing spiraling out of control are ridiculous over-the-top comments like this. YOU are the people making this out to be much more than it is and for some of you it's because you want it to be. Take a chill pill, let it play out and it will be over and a distant memory by this weekend. Mark my words-and I really mean do this. Remember what I said, and you can throw it in my face(I'm not worried about that though) and I will remind you of it too when you are proven wrong. You people trying to turn this into some major distraction and controversy are going to look very stupid when you see it has no effect on this team's play on the field whatsoever.
I wish I could remember all of the controversies over the 13 years I've been on this board that somebody insists are going to be some major distraction for the team and none of them ever end up being so. This one will be no different.

Last edited:
Oh goodie. Another sky is falling thread.

This didn't fit in any of the other threads about this?

Reactions: 94husker
I wish this would all just go away. I was already having trouble escaping reality, living in Charlotte, but now I'm not going to be able to turn on college football this Saturday, without this story being plastered all over my TV. Is what it is I guess.

The only thing spiraling out of control are ridiculous over-the-top comments like this. YOU are the people making this out to be much more than it is and for some of you it's because you want it to be. Take a chill pill, let it play out and it will be over and a distant memory by this weekend. Mark my words-and I really mean do this. Remember what I said, and you can throw it in my face(I'm not worried about that though) and I will remind you of it too when you are proven wrong. You people trying to turn this into some major distraction and controversy are going to look very stupid when you see it has no effect on this team's play on the field whatsoever.
I wish I could remember all of the controversies over the 13 years I've been on this board that somebody insists are going to be some major distraction for the team and none of them ever end up being so. This one will be no different.

If you think my post makes the issue a distraction you are delusional. ESPN caring a story about Husker fans making death threats against a player may have a wee bit more impact than my opinion.

If you think my post makes the issue a distraction you are delusional. ESPN caring a story about Husker fans making death threats against a player may have a wee bit more impact than my opinion.
And even tho that was covered in the other thread you felt compelled to start a new one?

There has been no such story on ESPN. The story says he received "racially motivated backlash", "called the N-word on social media and threatened". It does not say death threats, and it doesn't even say anything about it being Husker fans who did it. The story in question was also a blog post-not a full-blown story. The same story also quotes Mohamed Barry as saying he received "way more positive feedback" from Husker fans than negative. But of course, let's just forget that part because it doesn't fit your agenda of making this out to be a bigger story than it is.
Even if said story(which as of tomorrow will be 2 days old) was a big deal, I have no idea why that would affect the team's play. I am sorry that you will be disappointed that it is not the controversy you seem to want it to be.

Last edited:

Look at the positive. This situation will put Mike Riley's class and leadership on full display. And HE will have a bigger impact on this team and future recruits than any dumbass fan making death threats.

Look at the positive. This situation will put Mike Riley's class and leadership on full display. And HE will have a bigger impact on this team and future recruits than any dumbass fan making death threats.
Exactly. Some people are so set on making this out to be some major controversy and distraction that they fail to see this. Mike Riley is coming out of this looking very good. And that will be the lasting effect of this.

From Pete Ricketts;
.@Rose_IveyNB15 Thanks for reaching out. Direct message me your information, and we will get something set up right away!

This doesn't happen if MRI and others don't kneel, so it looks like it was a good move for MRI and his cause.
I think this is great. Good for both sides on this.

Same as your replies. You know if idiots like you and Hal would shut their traps, the protests wouldn't happen because they'd have no traction.
Michael Rose Ivy did not cause this "shit storm " the ones bitching about him kneeling are.

No way. That is exactly the point of kneeling (or what
Daub is a fool. Athletes are doing this all over America.
I support MRI and those like him. Not just their free speech rights, but also their cause. If I were African American I would kneel too. To say this is just showboating or grandstanding just displays an ignorant white suburban point of view. Go live in our large urban centers as a poor black male. Then come back and bitch

The same refrain of "poor urban black male" has been heard for the last 50+ years. You think no one has been "made aware" of this "plight" before? It has been in the news somewhere every week, for 50+ years. Once again, the present protests are aimed at making the claim that someone else is the cause of this plight, mostly the evil police this time around. And really, do we need you to tell us about the "ignorant white suburban point of view." Did you get a wizard to change you into a black man for a awhile so that you now have insight superior to the ignorant suburbanites? No doubt lifelong academics truly understand the urban poor like no suburbanite can. Where is the evidence that this current round of anti-flag protests, rush to judgment accusations against and attacks on police, and burnings and lootings of neighborhoods have advanced some ill-defined "cause".

And even tho that was covered in the other thread you felt compelled to start a new one?

Not sure if you are referring to the regents thread but if so I didn't read all of it but what I did was focused strictly on the regent. I'm just expressing concern at the trend, not sure why that is a big deal.

Oh I love MR, he has handled virtually everything spot on. His thoughts on this subject were perfect.

Oh I love MR, he has handled virtually everything spot on. His thoughts on this subject were perfect.
So why then all of the Chicken Little stuff? This whole story isn't quite the focus of the college football world that you make it out to be. They aren't going to be kicked off the team, they already said they wouldn't repeat the protest again(not even sure whether they will even have the opportunity since we don't know which places they would be on the field for the national anthem anyway)-so where does the story go? There isn't anywhere for the story to go anymore. You may have been able to sort of make the case that the story was out of control earlier today when Hal Daub's earlier remarks were hanging out there, but once he backtracked on those and it was made clear by the administration and other regents that there would be no attempt to discipline the players in any way, that basically ended the story.

Last edited:
Meeting with the governor, death threats, and regent remarks are being picked up by national media and I have little doubt this picks up a lot more steam. It is becoming a major distraction. Going to every road game the press will focus on this issue, distractions are rarely good for a team. I don't see how Michael has the time to go to school, play football and lead a protest which seems the direction he is headed. Meeting the governor doesn't fall under the category of I said my peace and moving on. Will 60 minutes ambushing MR at a press conference be next...yea having LP flashbacks perhaps.

The media loves a poster child and a red state in fly over land will do just fine.

The protest was harmless. The insane amount of backlash is what is spiraling out of control. I hope the whole team kneels so these asses realize thry have absolutely no control over this issue.

176 people have been murdered in the US since the three Huskers protested on Saturday, of which 0.27 of these murders have been at the hands of police officers. If kneeling during the anthem makes them feel better that this is solving the problem, more power to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
While "spiraling" may not be the right word, when this is the first thing I see when I open up Yahoo, it really doesn't look good. It doesn't help that the article omits Riley's statements and the University President's statement to make it look even worse.

Untitled_zpsb5xmubaf.png

While "spiraling" may not be the right word, when this is the first thing I see when I open up Yahoo, it really doesn't look good. It doesn't help that the article omits Riley's statements and the University President's statement to make it look even worse.

Untitled_zpsb5xmubaf.png

It all depends on if you are bothered by it. This veteran is not. Peaceful protests are just that. Peaceful. I don't have to agree with another man's opinion, but I'll fight for his right to speak his mind. To me that is America.

If merged, so be it but it'd be nice if the subject title is included in the post that gets merged.

I'm not a fan of Regent Daub representing the University like this. Chancellor Green is now in a very difficult position, as is Eichorst. I sure hope someone grabs our "leaders" in to a room and figure this out. I'm not a fan of what the three players did, nor am I a fan of what other athletes are doing however, it is their right. Regardless of how much it irks me, at least at this point in time, they have a right to do this.

With that said, as others have mentioned, this decision is creating more controversy. Who it's helped remains a mystery, till further notice.

I'm one who recognizes it is their freedom of speech. I may not disagree with a chosen form of expression, but they are free to do it and that is one of the great things about our country. That freedom does not exempt them from criticism, but people expressing criticism also need to do it in a respectful and tactful way, and that hasn't happened for some, which has caused the issue to blow up.

If my previous post came across as blaming the players, that wasn't what I meant. I was simply pointing out that this has gone beyond a state/program issue and is front page on a major site, and it is casting the program in a poor light.

A policy of the Board of Regents that has existed for a half century addresses demonstrations, stating: "The public exploration and resolution of differing views can be successful only when groups and individuals discuss the issues in forms where the right to disagree, speak freely, and be heard is preserved."

"Within this context, the University community recognizes peaceful demonstrations as a legitimate means of expressing one's opinion."

From the LJS article.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
176 people have been murdered in the US since the three Huskers protested on Saturday, of which .27 of these murders have been at the hands of police officers. If kneeling during the anthem makes them feel better that this is solving the problem, more power to them.

Police have murdered 27 people since Sat? I would say they justifiably killed roughly 27.

I'm one who recognizes it is their freedom of speech. I may not disagree with a chosen form of expression, but they are free to do it and that is one of the great things about our country. That freedom does not exempt them from criticism, but people expressing criticism also need to do it in a respectful and tactful way, and that hasn't happened for some, which has caused the issue to blow up.

If my previous post came across as blaming the players, that wasn't what I meant. I was simply pointing out that this has gone beyond a state/program issue and is front page on a major site, and it is casting the program in a poor light.
First of all, I just checked yahoo.com, and that story doesn't come up on my computer like it did on yours. I had to go to Yahoo Sports to find it and it was a small story along the side. Second of all, saying it is casting the program in a poor light assumes that you oppose the players' right to protest. Because if you support it, there isn't anything in that casts the team or the athletic program in a poor light. The only people who would be portrayed in a poor light are regents, namely Hal Daub who has backtracked on his original comments anyway.
This story will go away in a day or two and I can almost guarantee that some players on another team will protest in a similar manner this coming week. The story will then focus on those players.

University is probably more accurate than program, but the reality is that the whole situation is not GOOD press, however you want to put it semantically. The reason is responses more than the protest.

Hopefully you are right about the story blowing over. Aside from the bad press, I can't imagine it is good for recruiting.

No way. That is exactly the point of kneeling (or what

The same refrain of "poor urban black male" has been heard for the last 50+ years. You think no one has been "made aware" of this "plight" before? It has been in the news somewhere every week, for 50+ years. Once again, the present protests are aimed at making the claim that someone else is the cause of this plight, mostly the evil police this time around. And really, do we need you to tell us about the "ignorant white suburban point of view." Did you get a wizard to change you into a black man for a awhile so that you now have insight superior to the ignorant suburbanites? No doubt lifelong academics truly understand the urban poor like no suburbanite can. Where is the evidence that this current round of anti-flag protests, rush to judgment accusations against and attacks on police, and burnings and lootings of neighborhoods have advanced some ill-defined "cause".
I am not claiming superior knowledge of how it feels to be a black male in the inner city. In fact, I am claiming the opposite: I don't know how it feels at all. And that is because I am a white suburbanite. Therefore, I too am ignorant. But that is precisely why I DON'T get to speak for MRI and presume to tell him what the "best" and "most appropriate" forms of peaceful protest are. And that is what many on here are doing.

And yes, we have been hearing this refrain for 50+ years. But that is because it is a real problem, not a fake one, and the problem is chronic and won't go away. So now we are left with trying to find solutions. The causes are obviously complex and the solutions will need to be too. I betcha MRI knows this. But one thing is certain: despite the causes and solutions, cops should not be shooting unarmed men. Some of these shootings are justified. But many are not. As in Tulsa. As I said, my brother is a cop. I have no desire to trash cops. But there is a lot of empirical evidence out there that there is a real problem here that must be addressed.

As for me being a "lifelong academic". I was an academic for 25 years. But during that time I lived in the inner cities of Philadelphia and Trenton and New York. I ran shelters for battered women and a few soup kitchens. I now run a small farm that provides free food for these soup kitchens and a safe haven for a few refugees from East Africa. So yes... I am guilty as charged: I am a life long academic. But I am not the kind of academic that sits in an ivory tower. And I have written so much in this thread because I have passion for this issue and know a little about it

Oh... And where is the "evidence" you ask that this gesture by MRI has advanced his ill-defined cause? First, we are talking about this aren't we? He is meeting the governor isn't he? So it has raised social awareness for his cause hasn't it? And the national media have been focusing on athletes who are doing this aren't they? And it is giving the poor urban communities something tangible and peaceful to point to isn't it, rather than riots and looting? So in my view there is ample evidence it is a form of peaceful civil disobedience that is working.

And their cause is hardly "ill defined". They want police to stop shooting unarmed people. Very specific it seems to me

Last edited:
It is becoming a major distraction.
I don't think it is a full blown deal, not yet. I hope it doesn't become that either. I watched Coach's press conference, and I got the feeling he tried to stay indifferent about it, maybe hoping all the press dies down so that they can return to focusing on the task at hand.

One thing MRI needs to learn, in the real world, one can rarely afford to distract their organization in such a manner.. it does not matter if you are right or not. People that create a big stink, usually don't last very long.

University is probably more accurate than program, but the reality is that the whole situation is not GOOD press, however you want to put it semantically. The reason is responses more than the protest.

Hopefully you are right about the story blowing over. Aside from the bad press, I can't imagine it is good for recruiting.
I don't see how this is even putting the University in a bad light-again, that is unless you oppose these players' right to protest-because everybody from the University itself is supporting them. The Regents aren't part of the University-they are an independently elected governing body.
And this is another thing I have heard over and over again for years: "X is going to hurt recruiting". Yet it never does. Frankly, I don't see why this would hurt recruiting. Most people agree Coach Riley is coming out of this looking good.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I don't see how this is even putting the University in a bad light-again, that is unless you oppose these players' right to protest-because everybody from the University itself is supporting them. The Regents aren't part of the University-they are an independently elected governing body.
And this is another thing I have heard over and over again for years: "X is going to hurt recruiting". Yet it never does. Frankly, I don't see why this would hurt recruiting. Most people agree Coach Riley is coming out of this looking good.
The only negative from this would be if it hurts team unity and creates bad chemistry on the team. That is why Riley should be given great credit here. So too should MRI for showing the maturity to approach the team to discuss this before the event. I think this will blow over soon.

Reactions: HuskerO
The problem is that this will not likely blow over quickly here or anywhere else in this country because the media has chosen to make this regular front and center issue everywhere not just in Lincoln, Nebraska. If the media would stop showing it playing it up etc., it would blow over I agree.

The problem is that this will not likely blow over quickly here or anywhere else in this country because the media has chosen to make this regular front and center issue everywhere not just in Lincoln, Nebraska. If the media would stop showing it playing it up etc., it would blow over I agree.

The media loves this. They are all about stirring the pot.
I don't care if people kneel, lay down or stand on their heads and spit nickels.

Here is the problem with merging all these threads.. any sort of coherence or sense of order is completely lost.

Hal Dab and Pete Ricketts are politicians.

Politicians are going to use this situation to further their political agenda any way that they can. So no wonder they are 'so offended' in their public statements. Behind the scenes though, these grease balls could not care less about your protest or your patriotism.

The media loves this. They are all about stirring the pot.
I don't care if people kneel, lay down or stand on their heads and spit nickels.
hey Tarheel. heres the deal. democracy is messy. freedom of speech is super messy. " the three " made a choice to kneel and have media announcements and speak to the press. public and private citizens have every right to feel react and speak thier mind so long its peaceful. the leftwing nut jobs on this board love to wave the bloody shirt of some small number of real population of husker fans making vile comments as a proxy for all fans. wheter its Hal, pete or anyone else. 99 percent of the people posting disqualify themselves as the PC leaders on the board by saying those who speak thier mind, like Hal need to be silenced. trust me they these posters are the true evil in this world.. 99% of thier post have monster CAPS SAYING YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. They are complete losers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT