ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if true..

Uncle is head coach @ a HS out in western NE… ‘most teams steal signs’. Just like most/all baseball teams do. Try sending a poll to every college football program and see what % respond in the affirmative. That’ll be your best bet there :)

and that wasn’t my question – was asking what exactly is printed in NCAA bylaws, defining what is legal and not legal when it comes to scouting other teams signs?

The runner on second base is NEVER the one in trouble for stealing catcher’s signs… it’s the team on the field’s responsibility to change ‘em up.

How’s this different? And I’m not defending Michigan in particular, I’m just asking how this is a different situation. It may be VERY different and I’m just ignorant as to why. Honest question…
NCAA bylaws do not address "stealing signs". Whether everyone steals signs, no team steals signs, or only a couple teams steal signs is not relevant to the Michigan situation.

NCAA bylaws since 1994 prohibit what Michigan did:

11.6.1 Off-Campus, In-Person Scouting Prohibition. Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited,

NCAA bylaws do not address "stealing signs". Whether everyone steals signs, no team steals signs, or only a couple teams steal signs is not relevant to the Michigan situation.

NCAA bylaws since 1994 prohibit what Michigan did:

11.6.1 Off-Campus, In-Person Scouting Prohibition. Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited,
Perfect. Sooooo no Husker coach or individual loosely affiliated with our program could attend the practice of another team? Or is it the use of a recording device? What constitutes 'scouting'?

Uncle is head coach @ a HS out in western NE… ‘most teams steal signs’. Just like most/all baseball teams do. Try sending a poll to every college football program and see what % respond in the affirmative. That’ll be your best bet there :)

and that wasn’t my question – was asking what exactly is printed in NCAA bylaws, defining what is legal and not legal when it comes to scouting other teams signs?

The runner on second base is NEVER the one in trouble for stealing catcher’s signs… it’s the team on the field’s responsibility to change ‘em up.

How’s this different? And I’m not defending Michigan in particular, I’m just asking how this is a different situation. It may be VERY different and I’m just ignorant as to why. Honest question…
So you are cool with what the Houston astros did? They did the Same thing as the x-men

Is 50 hours of practice tape really that much different than a seasons worth of games on tape?

Other than maybe a special trick play?

Significantly better to get practice film than game film. Offensive practice film has formation, play call, and vs what defense in written on the film with multple angles. Additionally, there is only one set of signals with no dummy signalers. If position film sent to players, sometimes position coaches will voice over coaching points.

Is 50 hours of practice tape really that much different than a seasons worth of games on tape?

Other than maybe a special trick play?
This is a good question.

Just from my (lame) coaching experience, it would not matter much but some coaches are in love with film. So it might just depend.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I wonder if this is related to the time when during the Scott Frost era when a staffer leaked practice film. I know for a fact that happened. I want to say his first or second season here.

Significantly better to get practice film than game film. Offensive practice film has formation, play call, and vs what defense in written on the film with multple angles. Additionally, there is only one set of signals with no dummy signalers. If position film sent to players, sometimes position coaches will voice over coaching points.
If that's the case I can see how that'd make it easier.

It seems like this issue is way over your head.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
So you are cool with what the Houston astros did? They did the Same thing as the x-men
Not really, they crossed a line recording it. This is why I’m asking. Am a Sox fan. Still love and respect Joey Cora. Glad they didn’t vacate their WS.

All in favor of toe-ing the line. It’s like paying taxes. Wanna get as close as legally possible without giving them a spare penny.

So…you’ve done this before…

Perfect. Sooooo no Husker coach or individual loosely affiliated with our program could attend the practice of another team? Or is it the use of a recording device? What constitutes 'scouting'?
Scouting is broadly defined. If you are personally attending another team's practice or game, you are in violation of the bylaw. The last instance I recall is when Jeff Lebby was on the Briles Baylor staff and was spotted in the stands at an Oklahoma game ( I forget who OU's opponent was that day). He claimed to be there just visiting a friend. It didn't matter. Ironically, Lebby now coaches at OU.
You can easily do a search on the NCAA website and find the public version of the infractions report. It speaks to the bylaw being one of strict liability.

Michigan randomly dropped their lawsuit vs the Big 10. Harbaugh stays suspended for the regular season. Wasn't expecting that.

I got a wonder if he even gained that much. It’s undeniable that He’s got a lot of talent on that team that is being maximized . Just looking for that little edge I guess.
Their defense absolutely gained an edge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT