ADVERTISEMENT

Re: McCord Transfer from the Cleveland Newspaper

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Not new news by now but FWIW here's a brief excerpt from the Cleveland paper:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State defensive end Jack Sawyer developed a lifetime friendship with Kyle McCord that will continue regardless of the quarterback’s decision to enter the transfer portal.

As someone close to McCord, Sawyer said he also saw the reaction the former Buckeye starter endured after less impressive games or especially after the loss at Michigan.

“I really felt bad for him how he was treated after those games, and I don’t think it was fair,” Sawyer said “I think I understand that, at Ohio State, the quarterback’s expected to win games. I don’t think at all it’s his fault that we lost that game at Ann Arbor.

I get that the OSU standards for QB play are off-the-charts high, but playing QB for the Huskers hasn't historically been for the thin-skinned either. Good news is that the bar is now so low at NU that we will likely treat average QB play like Heisman-caliber.

Reactions: huskerfan66

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State defensive end Jack Sawyer developed a lifetime friendship with Kyle McCord that will continue regardless of the quarterback’s decision to enter the transfer portal.

As someone close to McCord, Sawyer said he also saw the reaction the former Buckeye starter endured after less impressive games or especially after the loss at Michigan.

“I really felt bad for him how he was treated after those games, and I don’t think it was fair,” Sawyer said “I think I understand that, at Ohio State, the quarterback’s expected to win games. I don’t think at all it’s his fault that we lost that game at Ann Arbor.
Saw this last night

Reactions: Bold Words
I doubt we ever get a lot of unvarnished facts about exactly why McCord left OSU, but there has to be more to it than he got his feelings hurt. My personal suspicion is that it has more to do with NIL, like OSU is unwilling to pay him as much as Nebraska is because they see him as replaceable and we see him as a potential savior. It's all about the money these days. Also likely is that they told him it'll be an open competition for the starter and nothing is guaranteed. He can read the writing on the wall as well as anyone and figures he might as well move on while his market value is high.

This is good, has him prepped for Kong’s post about how HH should be the starter after NU loses 38 - 35 after McCord goes 27-31 for 380 yards, 4 TD’s and zero turnovers.

I doubt we ever get a lot of unvarnished facts about exactly why McCord left OSU, but there has to be more to it than he got his feelings hurt. My personal suspicion is that it has more to do with NIL, like OSU is unwilling to pay him as much as Nebraska is because they see him as replaceable and we see him as a potential savior. It's all about the money these days. Also likely is that they told him it'll be an open competition for the starter and nothing is guaranteed. He can read the writing on the wall as well as anyone and figures he might as well move on while his market value is high.
McCord is being scapegoated for Ohio State falling short this year.

Is that the only factor? Doubtful. But that's the narrative.

Reactions: mgbreis
McCord is being scapegoated for Ohio State falling short this year.

Is that the only factor? Doubtful. But that's the narrative.
Well reportedly the straw that broke the camel's back was being told by the coach that he was NOT guaranteed to be the starter in the bowl game after having started those regular season games. No doubt the coach overreacted at the time because they were all feeling the fan heat for losing to Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT