Top TE class in the country N coming

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven

1. NEBRASKA​

Not only do the Huskers have star power, as
Carter Nelson
was heavily involved among the top tight end projections in the class, but they also have depth to the class being brought in by Matt Rhule. Nebraska has a pair of four-stars, with
Ian Flynt
flanking the headlining Nelson, as well as a three-star addition in
Keelan Smith

Individually, Nelson is of course among the most intriguing given he will be transitioning from eight-man football to the Big Ten. Dominant locally, he did it all at 6-foot-5 and held his own in the Polynesian Bowl in January.
Flynt is ranked as the No. 22 tight end and is built traditionally for the position at 250 pounds, though he can make plays down the field as well.
Smith has an H-back build at 6-foot-3, complementing the others with true production as a jumbo wide receiver who can make plays at the catch point.

1. NEBRASKA​

Carter Nelson
was heavily involved among the top tight end projections in the class, but they also have depth to the class being brought in by Matt Rhule. Nebraska has a pair of four-stars, with
Ian Flynt
Keelan Smith

Individually, Nelson is of course among the most intriguing given he will be transitioning from eight-man football to the Big Ten. Dominant locally, he did it all at 6-foot-5 and held his own in the Polynesian Bowl in January.
Flynt is ranked as the No. 22 tight end and is built traditionally for the position at 250 pounds, though he can make plays down the field as well.
Smith has an H-back build at 6-foot-3, complementing the others with true production as a jumbo wide receiver who can make plays at the catch point.
Now let’s start to USE THEM!

Don't we have a few in the NFL already? Stoll and Austin Allen?
Allen is in the USFL or whatever they call that league now.

Stoll would be the only one and let's be clear. He blocks. 20 catches in 3 years and has never scord a TD.

Let's not compare Stoll to Kittle and Kelce any time soon, or any other Iowa TE in the NFLin the last 10 years.

Iowa still can suck it.

Last edited:

Stoll would be the only one and let's be clear. He blocks. 20 catches in 3 years and has never scord a TD.

Let's not compare Stoll to Kittle and Kelce any time soon, or any other Iowa TE in the NFLin the last 10 years.

Iowa still can suck it.
I wasn't comparing Stoll to Kittle or LaPorta. Just saying we do have a couple in the league. I think Vokolek is trying to hang on too.

Iowa still can suck it.
We could use a TE who is a willing blocker

Was pretty disappointed with Boerk’s effort at the point of attack last year

Let's just get a few plays designed with him in the game. Give the defense a few alignments to think about.
Frankly if the staff choose to move him (they’ve given zero indication of this) it should be to the other side of the ball

This is why all the HH -> TE comments make no sense to me

Yea, let’s take a guy out of the slimmest room on offense and put him in the most crowded room

Great idea!

I think you have to do some “cross training” (for lack of a better term) with HH. We want him on the field in some capacity if DR does in fact win the starting job, but we will (likely) need him if DR gets injured. It’s a tough position for HH, but he has to look at like he’s our Taysom Hill. Ideally this is our best chance for success next season.

This is why all the HH -> TE comments make no sense to me

Yea, let’s take a guy out of the slimmest room on offense and put him in the most crowded room

Great idea!
For me it comes down to skill set and what offense they want to run. Based on what I saw last year I don't see HH improving to the point that you could trot him out in a pass first offense and expect him to be successful. So do you want a backup to be limited in how much of the offense he can successfully run based on his skill set. And he's clearly a very good athlete who would possibly be wasted by sitting on the bench.

I would give him exclusive qb reps in the spring and evaluate from there. Ideally he would be the 3rd string or first in if DR had a season ending injury. Taysem Hill style.

I think you have to do some “cross training” (for lack of a better term) with HH. We want him on the field in some capacity if DR does in fact win the starting job, but we will (likely) need him if DR gets injured. It’s a tough position for HH, but he has to look at like he’s our Taysom Hill. Ideally this is our best chance for success next season
I think his most important role is in the locker room

He is Nebraska Football personified

I agree we’ll need him under center at some point, too. No shame in being a veteran leader and capable backup.

I said this season prior to us landing DR that he is a stabilizing force for this program and will start until someone better comes along. Rhule/DR sped up that timeline, but it doesn’t make it any less true.

For me it comes down to skill set and what offense they want to run. Based on what I saw last year I don't see HH improving to the point that you could trot him out in a pass first offense and expect him to be successful. So do you want a backup to be limited in how much of the offense he can successfully run based on his skill set. And he's clearly a very good athlete who would possibly be wasted by sitting on the bench.

I would give him exclusive qb reps in the spring and evaluate from there. Ideally he would be the 3rd string or first in if DR had a season ending injury. Taysem Hill style.
I know you don’t see him improving.

Which is why your opinions on the matter have been disqualified for me.

A guy who’s never been coached, played c1 football 4 years ago and has 7 career games (5 wins) under his belt will improve. Simple as that.

Unless you don’t actually believe Rhule is a talent evaluator/developer. Then I can see the logic in your statement

I know you don’t see him improving.

Which is why your opinions on the matter have been disqualified for me.

A guy who’s never been coached, played c1 football 4 years ago and has 7 career games (5 wins) under his belt will improve. Simple as that. Any other thought process is based somewhere other than reality.
I don't see him improving to the point where I would want him running an offense designed for a generational arm talent who otherwise would have been at Georgia or any other school in America. Not sure why this is such an emotional issue for you. Of course I think he will improve with more and better coaching, plus experience.

Reactions: king_kong_
I don't see him improving to the point where I would want him running an offense designed for a generational arm talent who otherwise would have been at Georgia or any other school in America. Not sure why this is such an emotional issue for you. Of course I think he will improve with more and better coaching, plus experience.
It’s not emotional. I’m just trying to understand your point of view. Appreciate the clarification.

I expect and hope to be somewhere around 55% runs this year. And I don’t really expect to see much different in terms of concepts than we saw last year, sans the designed QB runs, which made up somewhere around 10% of our play calls.

You have posted over and over that we would need to install two different offenses for DR and HH. I just don’t agree with that.

But maybe I have more faith in Rhule/Thomas/HH than others.

Well, it's not how they come in its how they go out.
the 2021 TE class was stacked too. James Carnie is out of football. AJ Rollins still trying to figure out where to play and Thomas looks like a 50 year old man running routes

This time last year we had 2 #1 TE recruits on the roster and our TEs last year didn’t play well

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
We could use a TE who is a willing blocker

Was pretty disappointed with Boerk’s effort at the point of attack last year
Beat me to it. I’m excited as hell to have some serious pass catchers at the position, but I want dudes at TE. Physical blockers that can absolutely get open with sure hands, but first and foremost block up front and help spring some big plays for other TEs, WRs and Tailbacks. Physical dudes.

Reactions: king_kong_
the 2021 TE class was stacked too. James Carnie is out of football. AJ Rollins still trying to figure out where to play and Thomas looks like a 50 year old man running routes

This time last year we had 2 #1 TE recruits on the roster and our TEs last year didn’t play well
Strawman ish

1. NEBRASKA​

Carter Nelson
Ian Flynt
Keelan Smith

Now let’s throw it to them once in a while

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT