ADVERTISEMENT

Killers of the Flower Moon

I suspect the movie will get great reviews when released but take Cannes reception itself with a grain of salt - the festival is notoriously non-representative of general audiences. Standing ovations are so common at Cannes that they have to be measured in minutes of length to rank them.
Like the North Koreans clapping for Dear Leader

It's a good movie but also not for everyone. Likely will receive Oscar nominations for its artistry and acting but will not be a commercial success (at least vs. its huge $200 million budget). Problem for commercial prospects is that it's so long (3 1/2 hours) and 2 of 3 three main characters are unlikeable. The third character (Lily Gladstone) though likeable is more reactive to her situation than active. Of course the commercial prospects actually do not matter as it was produced as a prestige loss leader for Apple streaming.

It's a good movie but also not for everyone. Likely will receive Oscar nominations for its artistry and acting but will not be a commercial success (at least vs. its huge $200 million budget). Problem for commercial prospects is that it's so long (3 1/2 hours) and 2 of 3 three main characters are unlikeable. The third character (Lily Gladstone) though likeable is more reactive to her situation than active. Of course the commercial prospects actually do not matter as it was produced as a prestige loss leader for Apple streaming.
It seemed like the movie was divided into very separate parts.
Part 1 - the story.
Part 2 - the trial
Part 3 - summary (what happens to everyone)
Part 4 - the finale. (Pow wow circle)

I found the style of part 3 very jarring and out of place with the movie. I REALLY didn't like it - to me it trivialized parts 1-2. I thought the Pow wow circle was an excellent way to bring everything together.

Once again, it was the style of part 3, which was totally unlike the rest of the movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT