ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any argument for keeping Frost?

Can we quit calling it the "Frost system"? It is not his. He borrowed everything and nothing we are running is magical in any way. If you want to convince yourself what happened at UCF, just watch a few games. The O outscored everyone, the D was pedestrian at best. When you watch the film carefully, you will see plays where UCF hardly blocks anyone and yet they score because the level of athletes they are playing against. In the B1G, there isn't that luxury.

I think Frost would get some sympathy if he developed good teams and had injuries or something unforeseen happen to the team. However, the team has recruited well, not spectacular, but better than their record indicates. All you have to do is watch film and it is as clear as day what is going on. We not only make the same special teams mistakes over and over, we make the same blocking mistakes and tackling mistakes and on it goes.

I am not on the fire Frost bandwagon but changes will be made one way or the other. I believe there will be some assistants looking for a home next year. This will give Frost some time. Just look at his staff - where is the veteran coach who has been around for a long time and has seen everything under the sun? There are none. All young guys who have made their name by coaching with Frost at UCF and one amazing year.

I also recall the reasons for Adrian's lack of production - he is young, he is hurt, no one around him and on and on. No, he is a great young man, would welcome him into my family in a heartbeat but he doesn't have the QB "IT" factor. Never has and never will. There is only so much you can teach, he is athletic as demonstrated by some of his scrambles but he lacks vision and the ability to make timely decisions with a quick release.

I think some coaches go this year, Frost gets another try next year but what do I know. I also do not buy the theory that if a NE native son can't do it, no one can or the next guy can't just because Frost couldn't. None of those are related.

Can we quit calling it the "Frost system"? It is not his. He borrowed everything and nothing we are running is magical in any way. If you want to convince yourself what happened at UCF, just watch a few games. The O outscored everyone, the D was pedestrian at best. When you watch the film carefully, you will see plays where UCF hardly blocks anyone and yet they score because the level of athletes they are playing against. In the B1G, there isn't that luxury.

I think Frost would get some sympathy if he developed good teams and had injuries or something unforeseen happen to the team. However, the team has recruited well, not spectacular, but better than their record indicates. All you have to do is watch film and it is as clear as day what is going on. We not only make the same special teams mistakes over and over, we make the same blocking mistakes and tackling mistakes and on it goes.

I am not on the fire Frost bandwagon but changes will be made one way or the other. I believe there will be some assistants looking for a home next year. This will give Frost some time. Just look at his staff - where is the veteran coach who has been around for a long time and has seen everything under the sun? There are none. All young guys who have made their name by coaching with Frost at UCF and one amazing year.

I also recall the reasons for Adrian's lack of production - he is young, he is hurt, no one around him and on and on. No, he is a great young man, would welcome him into my family in a heartbeat but he doesn't have the QB "IT" factor. Never has and never will. There is only so much you can teach, he is athletic as demonstrated by some of his scrambles but he lacks vision and the ability to make timely decisions with a quick release.

I think some coaches go this year, Frost gets another try next year but what do I know. I also do not buy the theory that if a NE native son can't do it, no one can or the next guy can't just because Frost couldn't. None of those are related.
I don’t think we will get any worthwhile assistant coaches to jump on board Frost’s sinking ship for a year.

Frost needs to change his narrative. He really needs to help himself here.

I think back to his hero’s welcome and just shake my head. He hasn’t done himself any favors.

It’s one thing to lose games it’s another thing to lose them the same way every freaking game, it’s just hard to envision Frost having The team do a 180 degrees if you listen closely to his press conference he’s saying little thing that it finally becomes clear why the team is usually a cluster f

Reactions: HUSKERinLA
If stability was that important, we should have kept Pelini. He consistently got us 9 to 10 wins each year. If we keep Frost, we're going to be stable alright. We're going to be a stably bad football team that will struggle to ever get above .500, let alone actually have a good football season that were the minimum standards for each coach since Devaney.

My hunch is that Kielman can give us Pelini records but with very few blowout losses and a little more quality wins. I just dont think he can recruit at an elite level.

Frost has been extremely disappointing, but…

1) No one has convinced me the next coach is going to succeed here.

2) The Husker coaching tree is fairly dead, so our next head coaching failure won’t be a Nebraska guy.

Frost really needs to make a case for himself though. He doesn’t seem to understand that time is short for him.
I think he gets it. He looks like he hasn't slept in a year.

Will Frosty be fired this year? My guess based on Trev Alberts comment would be no. “I can promise that you will never hear me talk about number of wins – low or high. I’m really focused on narrowing our focus,” Alberts said. “I like incremental growth and looking at the small fundamental things because ultimately those things lead to what we all want. So, if Frosty can demonstrate any improvement he is good to go. I personally have no argument about Frosty keeping his job. l have lost all confidence in him. It would be nice if he was able to succeed here, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

If Pelini had an AD who had forced him to recruit and not be a jackass, he could have been wildly successful. He was his own worst enemy and needed a strong boss. Osborne never reigned him in.

He was close. The jump to the next level just required him to recruit and keep his mouth shut.
I would have rather had Callahan hire a competent DC.

Assuming the next ten games don't show improvement, we need to move on. There's talent on this roster and frost deserves some credit for seriously upgrading the roster. Unfortunately, he and his staff just haven't shown an ability to develop the talent and to fix the same mistakes from happening over and over again. I have zero doubt that a staff that excels at player development, game planning, and in game adjustments could get this roster into the top 25.

is the fordham post game the calm before the storm?
have we pieced together enough mental power to clean up mistakes and become more mechanical in execution?
these questions loom large before the buffalo herd arrives.

my sol and ftm crypto have been like saban and urban, but my moon river crypto is up and down like martinez's game performance.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree. Generic college fans laughed at us for firing Bo, saying we shouldn’t expect better. I disagreed with them (still do), but my point is that now the generic fans are wondering how Frost still has his job. I like giving coaches a chance to adjust, but this is so clearly not working right now.
I don’t think it was Bo’s football coaching that got him fired…on the hot seat? Sure. His sideline, locker room, and press conference behavioral well as his myriad of personal defects did him in.

I think Trev should dictate the old system TO ran. It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but a run heavy control the clock type of offense coupled with a real defense.. not this overly aggressive give up 30 points a game thing.

Set the system up like Barry Alvarez did it.

Tell Scott that is how he is going to run it.

And see what happens.

If Scott can do it, maybe he keeps his job.. if he can't, then fire him, and promote from within.

No more big system changes, and huge staff changes and 20 million dollar contracts hanging over our heads.

We get 9, 10, 11 wins a year, and get some respect back.. and then every so often, maybe we get some special players and can make a run at it.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don’t think it was Bo’s football coaching that got him fired…on the hot seat? Sure. His sideline, locker room, and press conference behavioral well as his myriad of personal defects did him in.
Nah. It was the consistent blow out losses in every game that we fans thought could put us back on the map. He would’ve been fired right after the home Iowa loss if it was about his temper.

I have been a vocal critic of Frost for some time, but I approach our next trip on the coaching merry-go-round with sadness and hesitation. These hire-fire cycles have been a cancer in our program, and it is hard to see us getting anyone worthwhile. For as much of a sh*t show as it has been, part of me is curious to see Frost with a new quarterback. I still think he can coach offense. He just needs to keep his arrogant yap shut and recruit. Frost at least cares about the program and state though.

Part of me kind of feels like giving him more time in the sense that we owe him $20 million anyway, and if we are going to struggle it might as well be with a Nebraska guy.
Wait until the end of the season to evaluate him. There will be plenty of time then. Nothing to be gained at this moment in the beginning of the season by discussing the subject.

I think Solich, Callahan, and Pelini all deserved more time.

Things are so far gone now that I am dreading our options.

True to form, I think we are going to fire Frost and pay him 20 million dollars while the next guy fails.
Each couldve made changes that may have led to success. Frank got a new staff but wasnt given time with them. Callahan shouldve canned Cosgrove, Bo shouldve got executive coaching training and anger management
Frost needs to make staff changes starting with Austin and Verduzco. Also needs to send Kmart packing after this season and get a qb.

I think he is gone after this season though. A victim of he own ego much like Callahan and Pelini.

Everyone assumes coaches want to stay at the job they are struggling at. I'm not so sure. Pelini tried as hard as he could to get canned at the end....he was done here and some of his behavior was manufactured to get him out (fired).

Don't just assume Frost has the same desire to be here he did a few years ago, but of course he can't quit.

Reasons why Frsot failed were the stuff he did right away when he took the job and never adjusted during his time at Nebraska to correct the mistakes he made out of the gate.

Reasons he failed:

1: Extremely arrogant thinking his system could change the way an entire conference plays defense. We loved that quote at the time but we were being blind.

2: Stayed at UCF when he took the job instead of coming to Nebraska right away to work on the recruiting class earlier then he did.

3: He had one mind for his QB and decided to live and die with that kid no matter the results. This was by far his 3rd biggest mistake.

4: Be brought all of his unproven, unqualified staff with him from the recruiting department to QB coach. There was chatter that Frost didn't have good connections to hire other coaches and we didn't want to believe that but it turned out to be true.

5: After 4 years of a failing offensive system, he never adjusted. Goes back to point 1.

6: Way too much turnover with kids he recruited that left. Frost never takes blame for himself on that....it's always the kids fault. There are too many good players that left for it not to be a mix of both.

There are plenty of other reasons like never making adjustments, not working as hard and as smart as other P5 coaches, spamming out offers and just taking kids that show interest instead of trying to actually recruit the right kids, etc, etc, etc.

Everyone assumes coaches want to stay at the job they are struggling at. I'm not so sure. Pelini tried as hard as he could to get canned at the end....he was done here and some of his behavior was manufactured to get him out (fired).

Don't just assume Frost has the same desire to be here he did a few years ago, but of course he can't quit.

It's pretty obvious Frost doesn't want to be here anymore. His behavior on the coach's show shows it the most. He's always disinterested.

Sorry, but a friendly reminder this is Nebraska we are talking about. A program that has had only a small hand full of seasons without nine wins in many years. Riley was let go with a much better record than Frost and he had poor coaching forced upon him. Most said he had to go. Pelini was let for for cause. His record had NOTHING to do with why he is no longer here. There is no reason that Frost gets any type of pass just because he was a player here. Maybe I am a hard ass but I strongly feel that unless Frost somehow pulls at least 7 wins out of his ass this season he needs to go. There is no reason he has made no effort to upgrade his staff with his record the first three seasons. No reason to give him any more rope in which to hang himself with.

The only argument to keep him is that we can't find a good coach to come in next year. The question is, what do we expect to see on a consistent basis from this team? My expectation is consistent top 15 finishes, winning our division roughly 2/3 of the time. I'm willing to give a coach a pretty long leash if they can show early on that they have some promise and can get us there. I don't consider this unreasonable expectations, and zero chance that Frost is going to get us there, or anywhere close.

My argument for keeping him is the team has gotten better every year under him. The Riley, Eichorst, Diaco mess was going to make it hard for any coach to come in here and be succesful. Go back and look at riley's recruiting classes. They were some of the worst in all of college football. Under Pelini and Riley we lost the winning culture. He has had to rebuild the culture. He has rebuilt the walk on program. Rebuit the strength program. We finally have some depth. The big 10 probably has the best coached teams. Plus the main reason he should be given at least 10 years. The fans. No place puts as much pressure on players and coaches as dear old NU. You got to be more of a psychologist than a coach, cause the fans are all bat-shit crazy.

Reactions: jehresm
My argument for keeping him is the team has gotten better every year under him. The Riley, Eichorst, Diaco mess was going to make it hard for any coach to come in here and be succesful. Go back and look at riley's recruiting classes. They were some of the worst in all of college football. Under Pelini and Riley we lost the winning culture. He has had to rebuild the culture. He has rebuilt the walk on program. Rebuit the strength program. We finally have some depth. The big 10 probably has the best coached teams. Plus the main reason he should be given at least 10 years. The fans. No place puts as much pressure on players and coaches as dear old NU. You got to be more of a psychologist than a coach, cause the fans are all bat-shit crazy.
I agree with some of this, but there are also somethings that aren't true. The strength program is not back. Yes we are bigger, but we are a lot less athletic. We had two lineman drafted that were told to reshape their bodies and get more flexible and athletic. Our strength coach is stuck in the 80's and that is going to hurt us in the long run.

As far as the walk-on program being back, is it really that beneficial? We may get a few diamonds in the rough, but we are also starting to lose our top in-state talent to Iowa, Missouri and others. I think the Walk on program is way over rated.

I do think we are getting some depth at some positions and there are some positions (defense) that are continually improving, but we are not getting incrementally better as you should under Frost. For me a lot of this is tied to Frost hitching his wagon to a QB that sucks under pressure and also deviating from the system that made him successful.

NU football has been f'ed up for a long time.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
How has the team gotten better each year? I don’t see that at all. Our best game under Frost was a loss to Ohio State in year one. We had humiliating losses against Illinois and Minnesota last year. Another against Illinois this year.

I feel like the only way you can come to that conclusion is if you cherry pick games to support your argument. We beat Penn State last year. We started 0-6 in year one. Boom, we must have shown improvement each year.

If Pelini had an AD who had forced him to recruit and not be a jackass, he could have been wildly successful. He was his own worst enemy and needed a strong boss. Osborne never reigned him in.

He was close. The jump to the next level just required him to recruit and keep his mouth shut.
He also needed to take some anger management classes, and fix his defense once some of the conference teams figured it out. He did do some things quite well, hence the 9+ wins. Never seemed interested in improving the weak points, though.

Reactions: Clevinger
How has the team gotten better each year? I don’t see that at all. Our best game under Frost was a loss to Ohio State in year one. We had humiliating losses against Illinois and Minnesota last year. Another against Illinois this year.

I feel like the only way you can come to that conclusion is if you cherry pick games to support your argument. We beat Penn State last year. We started 0-6 in year one. Boom, we must have shown improvement each year.
I think some fans just look at the score and that is all. I thought the team looked better against o state ly than in year 1. O state looked like a cat playing with its food in year 1. The talent gap was huge in year 1. I think were closing the gap. My eyes tell me that the players are better. Not the box score. We just need to cut out the mistakes

It's pretty obvious Frost doesn't want to be here anymore. His behavior on the coach's show shows it the most. He's always disinterested.

That show has got to be riveting entertainment. Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking Hogans Heroes > Coaches show

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bama_husker
My hunch is that Kielman can give us Pelini records but with very few blowout losses and a little more quality wins. I just dont think he can recruit at an elite level.
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Sure I want better, but if a unicorn head coach is not available, this will certainly do.

This should be everyone’s reply.
I still think this team looks better than the late Pelini years. Scott Frost has done a remarkable job taken over the disaster that was Riley/ Eichorst. I still think this team can get to 8 wins in a tough schedule /tough conference.

The arguments for keeping Frost, and I'm not saying I agree with any of them, are:

He had a huge rebuilding job to do and he's not done yet. Recruiting has been better and we're clearly building more quality depth.

He's the homegrown hero we all wanted. That buys him more time than an outsider coach.

The buyout is HUGE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT