ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any argument for keeping Frost?

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
I have been a vocal critic of Frost for some time, but I approach our next trip on the coaching merry-go-round with sadness and hesitation. These hire-fire cycles have been a cancer in our program, and it is hard to see us getting anyone worthwhile. For as much of a sh*t show as it has been, part of me is curious to see Frost with a new quarterback. I still think he can coach offense. He just needs to keep his arrogant yap shut and recruit. Frost at least cares about the program and state though.

Part of me kind of feels like giving him more time in the sense that we owe him $20 million anyway, and if we are going to struggle it might as well be with a Nebraska guy.

No, there is no argument for keeping Scott Frost based on the current status of everything as of tonight. There's no improvement. If there is no improvement against Buffalo, Oklahoma and then the conference slat in October, he will be toast.

The only way he will be able to keep is job is make a bowl game and we know that isn't going to happen and the product on the field has been the same for 4 years now.

I would say yes there is one reason. To say that Nebraska tried to go the stability road for a change...Pelini and Solich both got more than 4 years, so it's not like a coaching carousel like Tennessee for instance w/ 8 HCs since 1970 and Nebraska with 6.

If Frost gets 3 more years on that long runway, I would be surprised. I think he is gone by the end of next year. I think Alberts will handle this like Eichorst and ask Scott to move on after another bad year. But I don't think he'll can him this year even if they only win 3 or 4 games....which would suck giant monkey bahlz.

I hope I'm wrong though, I wanted HCSF to succeed in the worst way.

It's funny how people keeping lowering the win total to try and create a talking point of keeping Frost. "if he only wins 3 games that should be enough to keep him" lol. If he only wins 3 games he will have the worst winning percentage of any head caoch in the entire history of the University of Nebraska football program.

Recruits are not going to sign up for that if they have other options. They coachces can't even get kids interested righ tnow as it is and you want them to try and recruit another class after only 3 or 4 wins? lol. That would be so ****ing stupid. All it would result in is two classes in a row at the bottom of the Big Ten.

You fire Frost this year and that gives the new staff a chance to refill this shitty recruiting class with portal transfers.

Keeping Frost for another year with only 3 or 4 wins will make the program Kansas.

Having a legitimate AD that will drive things will most definitely help.

Trev is a very smart man, and he'll put pressure and aid wherever need be.

We can't give up on Frost. 2024 and we still stink with Frost and Trev, then there really is no hope.

Reactions: jsachisler
Frost has been extremely disappointing, but…

1) No one has convinced me the next coach is going to succeed here.

2) The Husker coaching tree is fairly dead, so our next head coaching failure won’t be a Nebraska guy.

Frost really needs to make a case for himself though. He doesn’t seem to understand that time is short for him.

the argument for frost, is frosts system, which is tied directly to the qb.
if he gets 6 wins, the villages with pitch forks will be kept at bay...
the question comes down to frost's telephone, how many minutes per hour is it being used to get a passing qb for frosts passing system? if it's not 30 minutes per hour....it's scary, very scary...

I would say yes there is one reason. To say that Nebraska tried to go the stability road for a change...Pelini and Solich both got more than 4 years, so it's not like a coaching carousel like Tennessee for instance w/ 8 HCs since 1970 and Nebraska with 6.

If Frost gets 3 more years on that long runway, I would be surprised. I think he is gone by the end of next year. I think Alberts will handle this like Eichorst and ask Scott to move on after another bad year. But I don't think he'll can him this year even if they only win 3 or 4 games....which would suck giant monkey bahlz.

I hope I'm wrong though, I wanted HCSF to succeed in the worst way.
If stability was that important, we should have kept Pelini. He consistently got us 9 to 10 wins each year. If we keep Frost, we're going to be stable alright. We're going to be a stably bad football team that will struggle to ever get above .500, let alone actually have a good football season that were the minimum standards for each coach since Devaney.

If stability was that important, we should have kept Pelini. He consistently got us 9 to 10 wins each year. If we keep Frost, we're going to be stable alright. We're going to be a stably bad football team that will struggle to ever get above .500, let alone actually have a good football season that were the minimum standards for each coach since Devaney.
I think Solich, Callahan, and Pelini all deserved more time.

Things are so far gone now that I am dreading our options.

True to form, I think we are going to fire Frost and pay him 20 million dollars while the next guy fails.

Normally, I would agree that it’s better to stick with a coach rather than pull the plug too quickly.

However, this is not the case with Frost.

At 13-21 with no signs of improvement, he’s been so epically bad that we could practically throw a dart and a list of coaching candidates and they couldn’t do worse.

I just want to be clear that I don't subscribe to the stability argument.

I feel sorry for Frost in the respect that his whole time here seemed to be under a really bad sign. The problems he had to weed through with the way Pelini left and the fans and Mike Riley Charmin soft curating job. His first game canceled to a lightning storm. Covid Year and his team quitting on him regarding a bowl game.

But...he does get paid millions either way. So..

I feel sorry for Frost in the respect that his whole time here seemed to be under a really bad sign. The problems he had to weed through with the way Pelini left and the fans and Mike Riley Charmin soft curating job. His first game canceled to a lightning storm. Covid Year and his team quitting on him regarding a bowl game.

I wouldn't hire you for a job to clean my toilets.

You can cut my yard though.

Reactions: Fed-Up

How are we going to sell our program and who is going to want the job?

And at what point is the program in financial trouble? We spend breathtaking amounts just to get coaches to leave, and I don’t see our sellouts lasting.

I am really asking.

I have been a vocal critic of Frost for some time, but I approach our next trip on the coaching merry-go-round with sadness and hesitation. These hire-fire cycles have been a cancer in our program, and it is hard to see us getting anyone worthwhile. For as much of a sh*t show as it has been, part of me is curious to see Frost with a new quarterback. I still think he can coach offense. He just needs to keep his arrogant yap shut and recruit. Frost at least cares about the program and state though.

Part of me kind of feels like giving him more time in the sense that we owe him $20 million anyway, and if we are going to struggle it might as well be with a Nebraska guy.
My only argument against is it keeps feeling like we buy high and sell low each time, then cycle through again. At some point it feels you need to just hold a while longer.

Flip side is, Nebraska needs to stop picking crap stocks.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He will get another year regardless of what we say here. Alberts isn't going to fire him . Luck has not been with Frost but his system was doomed from the start.

How did Pelini deserve any more time?

If Pelini had an AD who had forced him to recruit and not be a jackass, he could have been wildly successful. He was his own worst enemy and needed a strong boss. Osborne never reigned him in.

He was close. The jump to the next level just required him to recruit and keep his mouth shut.

No more time.

The argument would be winning 6 games and the bowl game making a cherry on top..

How are we going to sell our program and who is going to want the job?

And at what point is the program in financial trouble? We spend breathtaking amounts just to get coaches to leave, and I don’t see our sellouts lasting.

I am really asking.
Dude, there are lots of coaches out there that Would love to make millions coaching at Nebraska, we just aren't getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban.

Take Jamey Chadwell for instance, he's at a sunbelt school. He would most likely take the Nebraska job.

I think Hugh Freeze would as well.

I however don't think Matt Cambell would.

I think if you're confident in your system and you look at the B1G west AND throw in a winning lottery ticket..Nebraska isn't a bad gig at all.

Frost can make the argument that he deserves to stay here by finishing the season 6-5 including a bowl game win.

If he does something less than the above, then there is no reason to retain him. He needs to be fired

Part of me feels like this as well.

I am just struggling to see how we break out of this cycle. There is a broader issue with our recruiting base and how to sell the program. The constant coaching instability is exacerbating those problems, like it or not.

And under your demands as a non-booster with zero say, who should n
be our next hire?
Since you think I’m not a non booster I’ll tell you that is what Trev will be paid for and there isn’t a booster that will tell him different..
Comprende day..

Sure, there’s an argument. That he could learn from his mistakes over the last few years, drop the ego, and see the job in a new light now that he’s not showered with praise like he was from 2017-2019.

You can argue it’s better to try that route than to pay him $20M to leave, make another hire hoping it hits, then hoping that hire doesn’t leave for a bigger program if he does have success. The benefit of Frost is that this is his dream job, so he’s likely never going to leave for an upgrade.

I don’t see this being a reasonable argument by the end of the year because I see a 3 or 4 win season. But if he manages 6 wins there’s a case.

My only argument against is it keeps feeling like we buy high and sell low each time, then cycle through again. At some point it feels you need to just hold a while longer.

Flip side is, Nebraska needs to stop picking crap stocks.
The management of our program has been garbage all the way back to us utilizing cronyism for picking Osborne’s successor rather than having the AD pick him.

Normally, I would agree that it’s better to stick with a coach rather than pull the plug too quickly.

However, this is not the case with Frost.

At 13-21 with no signs of improvement, he’s been so epically bad that we could practically throw a dart and a list of coaching candidates and they couldn’t do worse.
Agree. Generic college fans laughed at us for firing Bo, saying we shouldn’t expect better. I disagreed with them (still do), but my point is that now the generic fans are wondering how Frost still has his job. I like giving coaches a chance to adjust, but this is so clearly not working right now.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The management of our program has been garbage all the way back to us utilizing cronyism for picking Osborne’s successor rather than having the AD pick him.
Matter of opinion… If it wasn’t broken no need to fix it.. It wasn’t broken..

Reactions: Sinomatic
Part of me feels like this as well.

I am just struggling to see how we break out of this cycle. There is a broader issue with our recruiting base and how to sell the program. The constant coaching instability is exacerbating those problems, like it or not.

I hear you on stability.

Over the last 7 years (3 with Riley, 4 with Frost) we have seen a very poor product on the field. More of the same in the future and apathy starts to really set in imo. No more sellout streak, terrible recruiting classes and a $155 Million facility that we are not getting a return on investment from. Imagine giving Frost 3 more years and having a 10 year stretch of Nebraska football having 1 winning season, it’s very possible. How would our program recover from that?

Frost himself has said this is his best team. If it is in fact his best team, then he should have no problem getting to 6 wins plus a bowl game win. It’s time, put up or shut up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT