ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any argument for keeping Frost?

I still think this team looks better than the late Pelini years. Scott Frost has done a remarkable job taken over the disaster that was Riley/ Eichorst. I still think this team can get to 8 wins in a tough schedule /tough conference.
You think it's realistic for this team to reach 8 wins this season?

We beat Fordham.

We might beat Buffalo.

If we improve a lot we might beat Purdue.

That's what I have. All bets are off, though, if the wheels come off next week and we look anything like we did against Illinois.

Northwestern, Wisconsin, and and Iowa will just hang around all game waiting for our offense and special teams to blow our own head off and hand them the game like has happened 20 times already since this staff arrived here.

Who are your other 5 wins?

Last edited:
College players should get better during their four year career. Not a single player has improved on this roster.
I don't think that's true. Cam Jurgens has come a long way and is a pretty decent center and I would say most of our Defense has steadily improved with big time improvement coming from the DB's. I get it that our skill players seem to regress and our OLine is just meh, but there are some groups that have shown some improvement.

I think some fans just look at the score and that is all. I thought the team looked better against o state ly than in year 1. O state looked like a cat playing with its food in year 1. The talent gap was huge in year 1. I think were closing the gap. My eyes tell me that the players are better. Not the box score. We just need to cut out the mistakes
Yep, mistakes that seem to be recurring year after year after year. He has a decent roster right now. Guess we'll see where we are at in late November.

Reactions: datdathusker
In all honesty, I’m not sure

On offense, it does seem a little similar to what Hoiberg’s dealt with- lots of open shots, hardly any go through the net.

The mistakes are bothersome, especially on special teams, but it’s often pretty apparent how Frost came by success with a capable distributor under center.

For one reason (frosts love affair for AM) or another (how many McKenzie Miltons really are out there to be had?), we’ve had less than zero chance to get untracked at the quarterback position, by which this scheme lives and dies.

For this reason, I would be totally fine keeping Frost next year regardless how ‘21 finishes record-wise, so long as we finally have a new quarterback starting game 1.

If it’s AM again in ‘22, however, they should just forfeit the season and find a new everything.

You think it's realistic for this team to reach 8 wins this season?

We beat Fordham.

We might beat Buffalo.

If we improve a lot we might beat Purdue.

That's what I have. All bets are off, though, if the wheels come off next week and we look anything like we did against Illinois.

Northwestern, Wisconsin, and and Iowa will just hang around all game waiting for our offense and special teams to blow our own head off and hand them the game like has happened 20 times already since this staff arrived here.

Who are your other 5 wins?
You've got a good shot at beating NW this year. They looked really bad last Saturday. 4-5 wins is most likely with an outside chance at six and a minor bowl. That last scenario keeps Frost in place at least another year.

I'm an 81 year old Iowa fan and lived through 17 years of not having a winning season. We hired a ton of what we thought would be successful coaches only to have them fail Believe me when I tell you it isn't hard to see a coach that knows how to put a winning team together. When HF arrived at Iowa the level of talent couldn't have been worse. He picked a defensive back and made him QB and in three years we were in the Rose Bowl. The difference in what he did as a coach was like night and day. He didn't try to make the players match his system but matched what he had to a system.

It's pretty obvious Frost doesn't want to be here anymore. His behavior on the coach's show shows it the most. He's always disinterested.
Been a new member for 12 hours, so I wanted to reply to one of the guys who posts a lot, and whom I tend to agree with, to a large extend. Mostly, I'm going to reply to the thread of the breakdown where a ton of good posts have been made by the majority of those posting.
I can't imagine how Scott felt the other night watching UCF and Boise going at it in the Bounce House with their fun loving fans. They win the game late, play their normal fast paced offense and then watch Gus drinking in all the atmosphere. Gotta believe Scott had to be thinking, "why the hell did I ever take this job?" Money has not bought happiness for any of us.

Been a new member for 12 hours, so I wanted to reply to one of the guys who posts a lot, and whom I tend to agree with, to a large extend. Mostly, I'm going to reply to the thread of the breakdown where a ton of good posts have been made by the majority of those posting.
I can't imagine how Scott felt the other night watching UCF and Boise going at it in the Bounce House with their fun loving fans. They win the game late, play their normal fast paced offense and then watch Gus drinking in all the atmosphere. Gotta believe Scott had to be thinking, "why the hell did I ever take this job?" Money has not bought happiness for any of us.

I don't post much. Just been active lately because I am passionate about wanting to get the right fit at Nebraska and start winning some fricken football games.

Reactions: bshirt73
I don't post much. Just been active lately because I am passionate about wanting to get the right fit at Nebraska and start winning some fricken football games.
I hope you, Nikki, Tuco and a ton of others never lose your passion. I can read the frustration in your posts as well as others. I've been a NU fan since 1962, so like some of the old timers in here, I've seen it all. Our downfall is we KNOW what great football looks like, we also know what a horseshit football team looks like, and we've had a fair dose of of each over the years.
I've tried to petition Congress for a "Lemon Law" with coaching contracts but to no avail.

I don't want to write a book this post cause I don't read long posts either, but I'm a guy who charts plays, alignment, sets, formations, and all that good stuff and have done so since 1980. Don't mean to imply I know anything, but I do know what schemes work and don't work.

You mention Alabama in another thread here. So I look at them as the epitome of what it takes to be truly great in an ever changing sport. If you were to describe Bama offensively it would be something like 50=55% pass, and 45-50% run. And yes, they will smash mouth the shit out of teams.
But if you take a look at what they do running the ball it is extremely hard to prepare for. And it seems kinda simple. Of the 45%-50% of their running plays, they will straight ahead block 60% of the time and then they pull the guard and tackle the other 40%. They use their tight ends the way NU used to us our wingbacks and sometimes used the tightend. When they pull that tight end comes opposite the pullers and picks up the back side defender. It reminds me of that team that did that to very big success from the 60's all the way thru the 90's and a few times in the 2000's.
I'm not trying to make this sound simplistic, they have unbelievable talent, coaching, tradition, fan base, and they have a system in place where those type of offensive linemen want to play on their way to the NFL.
And heck, it's still working in 2021. Bama has got it going on.

Reactions: LoudHogRider
I hope you, Nikki, Tuco and a ton of others never lose your passion. I can read the frustration in your posts as well as others. I've been a NU fan since 1962, so like some of the old timers in here, I've seen it all. Our downfall is we KNOW what great football looks like, we also know what a horseshit football team looks like, and we've had a fair dose of of each over the years.
I've tried to petition Congress for a "Lemon Law" with coaching contracts but to no avail.

I don't want to write a book this post cause I don't read long posts either, but I'm a guy who charts plays, alignment, sets, formations, and all that good stuff and have done so since 1980. Don't mean to imply I know anything, but I do know what schemes work and don't work.

You mention Alabama in another thread here. So I look at them as the epitome of what it takes to be truly great in an ever changing sport. If you were to describe Bama offensively it would be something like 50=55% pass, and 45-50% run. And yes, they will smash mouth the shit out of teams.
But if you take a look at what they do running the ball it is extremely hard to prepare for. And it seems kinda simple. Of the 45%-50% of their running plays, they will straight ahead block 60% of the time and then they pull the guard and tackle the other 40%. They use their tight ends the way NU used to us our wingbacks and sometimes used the tightend. When they pull that tight end comes opposite the pullers and picks up the back side defender. It reminds me of that team that did that to very big success from the 60's all the way thru the 90's and a few times in the 2000's.
I'm not trying to make this sound simplistic, they have unbelievable talent, coaching, tradition, fan base, and they have a system in place where those type of offensive linemen want to play on their way to the NFL.
And heck, it's still working in 2021. Bama has got it going on.

Saban is an all time goat. Not to be done ever gain in the sport that has been around since 1882. The receipe for Nebraska winning at a high level has been proven in its history.

If Scott can do it, maybe he keeps his job.. if he can't, then fire him, and promote from within.

No more big system changes, and huge staff changes and 20 million dollar contracts hanging over our heads.

We get 9, 10, 11 wins a year, and get some respect back.. and then every so often, maybe we get some special players and can make a run at it.
Promote from within if Frost is fired? Are you serious?

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I have been a vocal critic of Frost for some time, but I approach our next trip on the coaching merry-go-round with sadness and hesitation. These hire-fire cycles have been a cancer in our program, and it is hard to see us getting anyone worthwhile. For as much of a sh*t show as it has been, part of me is curious to see Frost with a new quarterback. I still think he can coach offense. He just needs to keep his arrogant yap shut and recruit. Frost at least cares about the program and state though.

Part of me kind of feels like giving him more time in the sense that we owe him $20 million anyway, and if we are going to struggle it might as well be with a Nebraska guy.
Short answer: no

long answer: hell no. He needs to go

I BELIEVE he keeps his job with a 6 win season, even though one of those wins was against what can honestly be compared to a good high school level team. Our recruiting is in the toilet, only to drop further next cycle, even with 6 wins.
I think we need to be very keenly aware of the college football landscape. Teams with a history like Nebraska has had over the last 5 years could be playing in a non power 5 or possibly FCS level in the future. We can't continue to put up with this shit show.

Promote from within if Frost is fired? Are you serious?
yeah, who exactly within would be qualified and capable? Not a single f'in person.

Im still wondering what changes Scott will make for next year. I can see Mario being led out to pasture, and possibly Lubick and Austin following him. Bring in a real QB coach to double as Co-OC (Frost will always be a Co-OC). Let the OC help find the OL and WR coaches

Reactions: phoenix4nu
With the changes in the landscape of college football, teams have to have a sizeable market, i.e. winning. The also rans are going to be relegated to the lesser followed leagues of lower end P5 teams. We are already seeing that happen.

We all know the past glory of our Huskers and many feel it is still a major player, I am not as certain.

The question to ask is if they were putting together a super league, and it had an upper level of 1, then 2, etc. Would the Huskers be viable enough to be considered in that top level? If not, how long can the program survive at the current pace? How long before our irrelevance catches up to us and we are left out in the cold when some super league forms? At least, it is doubtful we are at the table for discussions.

Last edited:
yeah, who exactly within would be qualified and capable? Not a single f'in person.

Im still wondering what changes Scott will make for next year. I can see Mario being led out to pasture, and possibly Lubick and Austin following him. Bring in a real QB coach to double as Co-OC (Frost will always be a Co-OC). Let the OC help find the OL and WR coaches
I don't see Frost firing Lubick or Austin. Especially Lubick.

• Sad
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I don't think that's true. Cam Jurgens has come a long way and is a pretty decent center and I would say most of our Defense has steadily improved with big time improvement coming from the DB's. I get it that our skill players seem to regress and our OLine is just meh, but there are some groups that have shown some improvement.
The thing is every player should get better on a well-coached team. You shouldn't have to hand-pick a few guys who got better, while most of the team remained stagnant or got worse.

Saban is an all time goat. Not to be done ever gain in the sport that has been around since 1882. The receipe for Nebraska winning at a high level has been proven in its history.
Coaches like Bowden, Osborne, and Carroll were just as dominant as Saban ever was, just not for as long of a period as Saban has been able to sustain.

Normally, I would agree that it’s better to stick with a coach rather than pull the plug too quickly.

However, this is not the case with Frost.

At 13-21 with no signs of improvement, he’s been so epically bad that we could practically throw a dart and a list of coaching candidates and they couldn’t do worse.
Gees you're clueless about football too?

He had to rebuild the entire roster. So far it's largely been a failure at WR and QB.

But he was an a-hole who couldn't beat teams with a pulse.

Well, whatever you say. However, some teams he beat......Kansas State, Colorado, Clemson, Oklahoma, Arizona, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Iowa, Miami, Michigan and so on.....yeah, none of them had a pulse.

I hear you on stability.

Over the last 7 years (3 with Riley, 4 with Frost) we have seen a very poor product on the field. More of the same in the future and apathy starts to really set in imo. No more sellout streak, terrible recruiting classes and a $155 Million facility that we are not getting a return on investment from. Imagine giving Frost 3 more years and having a 10 year stretch of Nebraska football having 1 winning season, it’s very possible. How would our program recover from that?

Frost himself has said this is his best team. If it is in fact his best team, then he should have no problem getting to 6 wins plus a bowl game win. It’s time, put up or shut up
People underestimate the damage Riley did to the program.

F him and Eichorst.

Frost's biggest mistake has been not finding a QB who can challenge or beat Adrian.

Things could have bounced back much quicker, but it seems to me the offensive line, while bigger and deeper, is not any better after 4 years of development. Even with a bad decision maker at QB, they can’t even hang their hat on a simple running game, and that is bad all around.

That was said within the context of the AD dictating the system. And yes, I don't think the entire staff sucks.
In my opinion, it is inevitable that Frost will be fired/let go. The only question is how soon and under what conditions. I don't believe NU has even one qualified coach on the offensive side of the ball that is not out of their league at this level.

If we wanna live that lie that those little passes to Toure or AM breaking long runs is gonna be a trend, then there likely is a rude awakening in the near future.

I think against the good Big Ten teams, say Ohio State, they will bring a future NFL cornerback right into Toure's kitchen and make Adrian make perfect throws. Then they take one of their future NFL LB's in to shadow AM.

Then where are the yards gonna come from?

Just the idea that Frost tried to worm his out of playing OU this season is despicable. Where's that "no fear of failure" bullshit?

When NU gets to Norman, Frost is gonna look across the field at Lincoln Riley and he will know what he is being compared to.

That's one of the many reason why SF is unable to look straight at an interviewer. He knows he has been exposed time after time over the last 3+ years.

The thing about Riley is they will have open receivers, they will march up and down the field multiple times, barring Rattler's frequent interceptions. If AM has a subpar game and goes into his normal shell, it has the ingredients to really get ugly. This despite the fact that our defense is actually a really good unit, and the fact that OU is not very good on defense.

I apologize for the nasty tone of this post, but this is the lousiest offensive football team I've seen. Our best chance is if Logan comes in and sparks the offense. Other than that, this offense offers no challenge for any of the quality defenses they will face this year.

Things could have bounced back much quicker, but it seems to me the offensive line, while bigger and deeper, is not any better after 4 years of development. Even with a bad decision maker at QB, they can’t even hang their hat on a simple running game, and that is bad all around.
Aren't there 2 1st year starters on the line who are freshmen?

My argument for keeping him is the team has gotten better every year under him. The Riley, Eichorst, Diaco mess was going to make it hard for any coach to come in here and be succesful. Go back and look at riley's recruiting classes. They were some of the worst in all of college football. Under Pelini and Riley we lost the winning culture. He has had to rebuild the culture. He has rebuilt the walk on program. Rebuit the strength program. We finally have some depth. The big 10 probably has the best coached teams. Plus the main reason he should be given at least 10 years. The fans. No place puts as much pressure on players and coaches as dear old NU. You got to be more of a psychologist than a coach, cause the fans are all bat-shit crazy.
You really don’t believe your last sentence do you? My God, Clemson fans were clamoring for change this week. People asked if Saban was past his prime a couple years ago. We are nothing special when it comes to “fan pressure” as compared to other blue blood programs.

In my opinion, it is inevitable that Frost will be fired/let go. The only question is how soon and under what conditions. I don't believe NU has even one qualified coach on the offensive side of the ball that is not out of their league at this level.

If we wanna live that lie that those little passes to Toure or AM breaking long runs is gonna be a trend, then there likely is a rude awakening in the near future.

I think against the good Big Ten teams, say Ohio State, they will bring a future NFL cornerback right into Toure's kitchen and make Adrian make perfect throws. Then they take one of their future NFL LB's in to shadow AM.

Then where are the yards gonna come from?

Just the idea that Frost tried to worm his out of playing OU this season is despicable. Where's that "no fear of failure" bullshit?

When NU gets to Norman, Frost is gonna look across the field at Lincoln Riley and he will know what he is being compared to.

That's one of the many reason why SF is unable to look straight at an interviewer. He knows he has been exposed time after time over the last 3+ years.

The thing about Riley is they will have open receivers, they will march up and down the field multiple times, barring Rattler's frequent interceptions. If AM has a subpar game and goes into his normal shell, it has the ingredients to really get ugly. This despite the fact that our defense is actually a really good unit, and the fact that OU is not very good on defense.

I apologize for the nasty tone of this post, but this is the lousiest offensive football team I've seen. Our best chance is if Logan comes in and sparks the offense. Other than that, this offense offers no challenge for any of the quality defenses they will face this year.
I think Frost's scheme is horrible. I also don't think he is head coach or even coordinator material. Bad play calling, not using players properly and he told us he was giving up play calling to the OC, then the press conference the other day, seems he took those duties back.

As for the staff, I do think Ryan Held is a good recruiter, but I struggle to find anyone else on the offensive side of the ball who contributes much.

I'm not very big on Logan Smothers saving the day. I guess we have to see how it goes with him, but 1) his passing scares me, and 2) once teams disrespect the pass, they will shut down the running game. Finally 3) he might also be turnover prone, (based on last Saturday).

I think the defense plays good for the scheme they are taught to run.

But I don't like the scheme

If your offense can't produce over 30 points, why would you keep running a defensive scheme that gives up so much?

I think the answer to that is because they don't teach the defense to run a more conservative scheme.

They only teach the Defense, one way to play. (super aggressive, no fear thing)

And because they don't invest the time in teaching the defense how to play more traditionally, they can never make much in the way of in game adjustments.

The whole thing really looks like insanity if you ask me.

The offense hasn't worked for 4 years, and they have recruited to it, and developed for it (supposedly).

It would be one thing if Frost had made changes to his assistant coaching staff resulting in obvious improvement on the field. If recruiting was better than ever, that would also present hope for the future.

Small changes to the assistant coaching lineup have been ineffective. Recruiting is trending down. What about any of that suggests Frost is on the cusp of nine-win seasons? The schedule is easier next year. Maybe they can go from four wins to seven. Reserve your Quick Lane or Redbox Bowl tickets now!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I think Frost's scheme is horrible. I also don't think he is head coach or even coordinator material. Bad play calling, not using players properly and he told us he was giving up play calling to the OC, then the press conference the other day, seems he took those duties back.

As for the staff, I do think Ryan Held is a good recruiter, but I struggle to find anyone else on the offensive side of the ball who contributes much.

I'm not very big on Logan Smothers saving the day. I guess we have to see how it goes with him, but 1) his passing scares me, and 2) once teams disrespect the pass, they will shut down the running game. Finally 3) he might also be turnover prone, (based on last Saturday).

I think the defense plays good for the scheme they are taught to run.

But I don't like the scheme

If your offense can't produce over 30 points, why would you keep running a defensive scheme that gives up so much?

I think the answer to that is because they don't teach the defense to run a more conservative scheme.

They only teach the Defense, one way to play. (super aggressive, no fear thing)

And because they don't invest the time in teaching the defense how to play more traditionally, they can never make much in the way of in game adjustments.

The whole thing really looks like insanity if you ask me.

The offense hasn't worked for 4 years, and they have recruited to it, and developed for it (supposedly).
I'm actually in agreement with much of what you say here.

This idea of a "Direct Mail" program to create interest in players is ludicrous. Sure, you send out a feeler to some 2-3* kid with no prospects, you're likely to generate some interest, but where does rationale really benefit the program?

My mention of Logan was simply from a "create a spark on offense" point of view. If AM plays his normal style and we get into a bunch of 3 and outs, the Sooners may put the hammer down. All things equal, OU will move the ball. But, do I think we have an above average QB equipped to play in the Big Ten, then no way.

If NU likely has subpar QB play, subpar running game, QB's that can't deliver the ball, and an offensive braintrust that is clueless to moving the ball, then sprinkle in a few turnovers and it could be another cringeworthy 3 hours of shaking our heads.

It's possible, and just guessing, but Eric is running the system that Frost wants him to run. You know, be aggressive and get the ball back to the offense so they can stumble around for a few series.

There has been no question in my mind for over 3 years that halftime adjustments will allow our opponent to win the 2nd half in most closely played games. Every where I look, NU has problems.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
People underestimate the damage Riley did to the program.

F him and Eichorst.

Frost's biggest mistake has been not finding a QB who can challenge or beat Adrian.
Agreed. None other than Tom Osborne has said publicly that this is a five-year rebuilding project. While Frost has absolutely made some serious mistakes in terms of game management and his own arrogance/stubbornness, I'm in the camp of giving him the full five years. He is learning, not unlike a young Tom Osborne. Am I disappointed? Heck yes. Am I convinced that Frost is the answer? Unfortunately, no. And yes, I admit to a willingness to give him more time because he's a native son. It means something to have a coach who cares about Nebraska (the state and football program) as something besides just a paycheck. I was hoping he'd be the coach in Lincoln for the next 30 years. It may not happen, but I still have hope that he is.

Agreed. None other than Tom Osborne has said publicly that this is a five-year rebuilding project. While Frost has absolutely made some serious mistakes in terms of game management and his own arrogance/stubbornness, I'm in the camp of giving him the full five years. He is learning, not unlike a young Tom Osborne. Am I disappointed? Heck yes. Am I convinced that Frost is the answer? Unfortunately, no. And yes, I admit to a willingness to give him more time because he's a native son. It means something to have a coach who cares about Nebraska (the state and football program) as something besides just a paycheck. I was hoping he'd be the coach in Lincoln for the next 30 years. It may not happen, but I still have hope that he is.
I can agress with all that.

Better game management would change a lot of Frost's woes.

Do I think Frost will work out here long-term? To this point, nothing would indicate that it will. I hope that changes over the course of the season where it becomes obvious that the team is getting better but I feel like it's unlikely.

I think Frost and his staff have generally been handled pretty easy from fan pressure wise. Scott would've been gone after year 2 if he hadn't been a "native son" and certainly after year 3. So acting like fan pressure is the reason they've sucked for 3+ seasons seems misguided.

There's irrational fan pressure at every school, it's part of the job. As an example, Ed Orgeron won a title less than 2 years ago and is on the hotseat because LSU didn't win enough last season and started this season off with an L. Frost has won fewer games in 3+ seasons at Nebraska than Orgeron did in his 2019 national title season. In fact, Orgeron's worst season was 5-5 which would be Frost's best.

If Frost sucks again this season, then he should be gone. If he does okay, he probably keeps it so Nebraska isn't out the $20 million buyout. If he does great, then awesome. I feel like option one is the most likely of the three at this point in time.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
ADVERTISEMENT