ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska football dead?

It's too bad you don't live in reality. I love that Nebraska fans now don't care about actual wins and losses.

Big 12 wins over power 5 schools > big ten.

2018 horrible Kansas team..
Kansas 55
Rutgers 14

LOL. The delusion is strong on the board.

1-1 this year. Who’s delusional. Keep bragging about that tidbit when the Big 12 is left out of the playoff.

We have the exact same # of CCG appearances that Iowa does in 8 years, and the same # of Rose Bowl appearances as Iowa in the last 25. Iowa is better than Nebraska at the moment, but let’s not pretend anyone is currently, or has ever been historically, worried about Iowa on a national stage.
it depends on how you look at it
KF is 4-3 vs the SEC in the NYD Outback Bowl game.
finishing in the top 10 5 times, 2 more at @ #20 and #25. that makes 7 times in 20 years this year Iowa started out in the top 20 reaching as high #14 fell as far as #23, the 1st time that Iowa has gone this far ranked all season in both the AP and Coaches poll so yes they are relevant on the National Scene.

Id love to, wed have a better record.
Id love to, wed have a better record.
tenor.gif

Sounds like fun, I love to shoot.
I think gbr has some good players. I do believe that neb coaches have not instilled the mental aspects of the game(kick ass, lets see what you got, I am not a neb fan but the black shirts had a mental attitude that it didn't make ANY difference who you were, they were going to knock the crap out of you! One neb fan said that Iowa practices looked like a frigging street fight! That attitude will make a average player better and an above average player great! Neb has some offense but the defense doesn't keep them on the field. No coach will ever ask someone or organization to come in an evaluate program for weak points, blind spots, or square pegs in round holes, Thus sos every year. Frost hasn't realized that no defense equals loses. You aren't going to win with a one dimensional team in the BIG.

Why should we be? Because Bob Devaney coached us in the 60’s? Because TO was probably the greatest coach in CFB history? Because we spend a lot of money? Take out our history which was due to 1 or two guys and what do we have left? We have a program that is in a horrible geographic footprint with a fan base that expects every coach to live up to the expectations of what the best coach in CFB history did here.

I would love it if Nebraska could compete for conference and national titles, but the fact is we are behind every single Big Ten West program outside of Illinois right now. We are the 6th best program in the Big Ten West. Firing coaches isn’t going to change that overnight, our last 4 coaching searches have produced Frank who did pretty damn well, but he rebounded at Ohio. Callahan who went back to the NFL as a position coach, Pelini who didn’t even have a FBS level offer and now Scott who appears probably wasn’t quite ready. He’s in year 4 as a head coach and has had 1 winning season, maybe it was a fluke. I think it’s time to realize we aren’t better than Iowa or Wisconsin, we are level with Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois right now probably. Minnesota is a year ahead of us, Iowa is years ahead of us and Wisconsin may be a decade ahead of us.

Don't look now, but Illinois is a game away from bowl eligibility.

Looks like it's between you and Northwestern for B1G West bottom feeder.

Don't look now, but Illinois is a game away from bowl eligibility.

Looks like it's between you and Northwestern for B1G West bottom feeder.

We beat them so it’d be almost par for the course to end up behind them by the end of the season.

Despite never having won a game in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, Nebraska is now a basketball school with Mayor running the show.

The Big 10 didn’t bring you in to win football games. They just wanted to produce “Big 10 Legends” programs with Tom Osborne for BTN...

Reactions: CyRail
Does any program want to be compared to Ped State? It will forever be tainted by the Sandusky-Paterno scandal.
Only a moron would make that kind of trashbag, ignorant statement. JS represents himself. If we start tainting groups because of bad members there's going to be a lot of tarnished people in the world. And we are doing quite well and recruiting exceptionally well so obviously folks don't agree with you.
Anyway, Nebreska is a great program with great fans. Difficult time right now but you'll be back. You need a game to reenergize the program.

It's dead. Too many recruiting challenges, in the social media era, there are WAY too many options for kids going to so many other schools. Parity. System challenges, but mostly numbers of players and population in Nebraska make it impossible.

Frost needed to splash right away and bring in some studs, build a culture, build the brand back up but QUICKLY.

Our hope was a turnaround and return to relevance to overcome the inherent recruiting challenges and population/lack of players in an age of parity and competition. TO had it made once he built what he had. No longer.

We're dead. Dead Big Red. We had our moments, at least.

Does any program want to be compared to Ped State? It will forever be tainted by the Sandusky-Paterno scandal.[
It seems it will take you a bit longer to recover from the osborne-phillips scandal that actually involved your football program. And enjoy the malaise that your program will endure in perpetude. :)

Also, our product of football right now looks miserable.

A bunch of players trying to live up to a bygone age almost 30 years ago.

Nobody is having fun out there.

Athletics should be fun, not only do we suck and our Program is dead, it's miserable football. No fun to watch either.

Callahan fizzled out, Pelini was on his way to fizzling out (look at his Youngstown team this year), and Riley was a bust. OU went through three coaches after Switzer before they got the right one in 1999, and other programs do as well.

The right one may never get to Lincoln for quite some time, but Frost has at least two more seasons to get things on track, maybe a third one to reach year five.
We fired Bo cause the fans got their feelings hurt.
Truth.

You and I obviously have a different definition of “abysmal” then. I would say abysmal programs don’t win the title at all. Kind of like Nebraska in the Big Ten.

We have the exact same # of CCG appearances that Iowa does in 8 years, and the same # of Rose Bowl appearances as Iowa in the last 25. Iowa is better than Nebraska at the moment, but let’s not pretend anyone is currently, or has ever been historically, worried about Iowa on a national stage.

Iowa has 5 top 10 finishes, 3 NYD6/BCS bowl games and 2 conference titles (yes, they are shared and pre conference title games) since Nebraska last did any of those things once.

Despite never having won a game in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, Nebraska is now a basketball school with Mayor running the show.

The Big 10 didn’t bring you in to win football games. They just wanted to produce “Big 10 Legends” programs with Tom Osborne for BTN...
1994 Big 8 Tourney Champs
1996 NIT Champs

Iowa has 5 top 10 finishes, 3 NYD6/BCS bowl games and 2 conference titles (yes, they are shared and pre conference title games) since Nebraska last did any of those things once.
Doesn't change the fact that you live in Iowa on a Nebraska message board. How have you not liked yourself yet?

Take it from a PennSt alumnus who seen the program highs and the lows that had us thinking WeAre dead too.

N football is far from dead, it’s down currently, and yes today sucked.
But .. you have premium facilities, an administration that wants to win and most of all a fan base that matches any other.
N has a issue on both side of the line. That’s recruiting and Scott is addressing it in the 2020 & already has another big highly ranked kid in 2021.
Franklin recruits like few others, but it took 3 years of 4star recruits on the OL until they got experience and started winning. Now the LOS is one of PS strengths.

I think you have the correct coach. Now it’s about recruiting, the one advantage N has is the transfer portal.
Proven kids entering the portal every month.
It’s hard but be patient! GBR will be kick people’s a$$ again soon.

This is one way to do it. The James Franklin model. Don't even concern yourself with the first fews years...just recruit-recruit-recruit...until you have all 4-stars and simply overwhelm your opponents with talent. Your coach is basically a CEO. An overseer.

The other way is the PJ Fleck model. For this you need a dynamic individual who walks-the-walk. Great football coaching combined with motivation. Who gets young men to want to be their best in all aspects of their lives. Who steadily improves with with 3-star overachieving players....and then gradually improves recruiting also.

Last edited:
OK-i"m mad as heck, but this is ridiculous. Get some people in here that care and a head coach that isn't an employment service for their no-name assistant coaches and we can be better. I'm not giving up on this program.
Pushing to make another bunch of changes makes you part of the problem. We've got to be patient and realistic. This is a losing program. We should celebrate if they even make a bowl at this point. Baby steps.

This is one way to do it. The James Franklin model. Don't even concern yourself with the first fews years...just recruit-recruit-recruit...until you have all 4-stars and simply overwhelm your opponents with talent. Your coach is basically a CEO. An overseer.

The other way is the PJ Fleck model. For this you need a dynamic individual who walks-the-walk. Great football coaching combined with motivation. Who gets young men to want to be their best in all aspects of their lives. Who steadily improves with with 3-star overachieving players....and then gradually improves recruiting also.

PJ Fleck is a team builder. His teams have a high floor and a low ceiling, but that can always change. James Franklin has done well, but there's a huge difference between the four stars at Penn State and the low end four stars that NU has signed in the last 5 years.

He's got at least two more seasons, I think. There is no way he's getting fired anytime soon. Huge buyout after giving him a 7 year deal, plus if we fire a former player after just a few years, nobody is going to touch this program with a 10 foot pole.
I agree. And Nebraska is at a disadvantage in hiring a new coach since fans & media will demand someone with successful head coaching at a Power 5 school. That limits the selection pool. That job at that point would only appeal to a coach who's on a hot seat, looking for a new start. We always snub our nose at the next Matt Campbell and Chris Klieman.

It's dead. Too many recruiting challenges, in the social media era, there are WAY too many options for kids going to so many other schools. Parity. System challenges, but mostly numbers of players and population in Nebraska make it impossible.

Frost needed to splash right away and bring in some studs, build a culture, build the brand back up but QUICKLY.

Our hope was a turnaround and return to relevance to overcome the inherent recruiting challenges and population/lack of players in an age of parity and competition. TO had it made once he built what he had. No longer.

We're dead. Dead Big Red. We had our moments, at least.
So are you saying that a younger Tom Osborne and Charlie McBride couldn’t come in right now and make us a winning program again? Of course, they could.

Loser team with loser fans who rely on their football team for their self esteem.
Not true, I am told by my Nebraska neighbors (here in Colorado) that Nebraska has the best fans in the world. That certainly hasn’t been my experience when they visit Boulder, or when I have visited Lincoln, but I keep hearing it. Reading this board confirms my thoughts about Nebraska fans.

Not true, I am told by my Nebraska neighbors (here in Colorado) that Nebraska has the best fans in the world. That certainly hasn’t been my experience when they visit Boulder, or when I have visited Lincoln, but I keep hearing it. Reading this board confirms my thoughts about Nebraska fans.
I've always been of the opinion that if someone has to remind you of how great they are...they aren't.

Take it from a PennSt alumnus who seen the program highs and the lows that had us thinking WeAre dead too.

N football is far from dead, it’s down currently, and yes today sucked.
But .. you have premium facilities, an administration that wants to win and most of all a fan base that matches any other.
N has a issue on both side of the line. That’s recruiting and Scott is addressing it in the 2020 & already has another big highly ranked kid in 2021.
Franklin recruits like few others, but it took 3 years of 4star recruits on the OL until they got experience and started winning. Now the LOS is one of PS strengths.

I think you have the correct coach. Now it’s about recruiting, the one advantage N has is the transfer portal.
Proven kids entering the portal every month.
It’s hard but be patient! GBR will be kick people’s a$$ again soon.
By your post, my guess is you did NOT graduate from PSU.

Urban was a quote CEO type then to you. Because he went room to room to oversee the staff and game plan also. Kinda worked out okay for OS.

If you prefer the rah ra type of coach. That’s fine more than one way to go style wise.
But talent wins, I would much rather have a coach that puts T250 kids on the field. Then constantly relying on low ranked kids and hoping they can be coached up.

Scott has 2 highly rated OL in this class and another one already in 2021. All I was saying is give the man time. Riley dug a massive hole with his horrible recruiting. N didn’t get to this point overnight.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT