ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska football dead?

They should have sued the youth charity but Penn State has the deep pockets. The admins were guilty of reporting to the youth charity instead of cys for what that's worth. They did that in 98 and cys did nothing. Anyway, the admins got house arrest - which is the clearest proof this was a mistake. As I said the conspiracy charges were dismissed.
PSU has deep pockets AND wanted the fiasco they were involved in to go away as quickly as possible so they paid up. Now tell me if PSU were as guilt free as you state and with their DEEP pockets of cash why didn't they have demand their day in court to prove their innocence?

Reactions: jimbob22
Yes, Urban Meyer is definitely the CEO type. He would never go to a non-blueblood and try to build up gradually through coaching and motivation. He's a house-cleaner who needs 4-stars at every position to overwhelm his opponents.

Franklin has been successful in doing this at Penn State. Because it's still a blueblood. He wouldn't be able to do this at a middle-of-the-pack school.

To turn-around a long-suffering program like Minnesota, you need a guy like PJ Fleck. A totally hands-on coach and motivator. A guy who really walks the walk, and who helps young men set themselves up for success in all aspects of their lives. Rather than just running a football-factory and kicking kids to the curb when they're not useful anymore.

Umm look at minny s record. The previous coaches were like 7-5. Or 8-4 on average. They were nOt destitute. PSU was never destitute. How many losing seasons has PSU had since Jo Pa left.

Wins bring recruits. Ut also proximity to talent helps a lo . Nebraska , iowa Kansas and missouri together do not add up to half of Florida or texas or ohio. Even Michigan. Wins can help get you on the radar a bit more when trying g to reach outside your area. So we are gonna have to win with the average talent we have recruited over the past few years. Not average compared to the west teams but we are gonna have to coach them up like the developmental programs

Last edited:
Take it from a PennSt alumnus who seen the program highs and the lows that had us thinking WeAre dead too.

N football is far from dead, it’s down currently, and yes today sucked.
But .. you have premium facilities, an administration that wants to win and most of all a fan base that matches any other.
N has a issue on both side of the line. That’s recruiting and Scott is addressing it in the 2020 & already has another big highly ranked kid in 2021.
Franklin recruits like few others, but it took 3 years of 4star recruits on the OL until they got experience and started winning. Now the LOS is one of PS strengths.

I think you have the correct coach. Now it’s about recruiting, the one advantage N has is the transfer portal.
Proven kids entering the portal every month.
It’s hard but be patient! GBR will be kick people’s a$$ again soon.

WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE

You've conceded you're a moron so enough said on that subject. But to label an entire University as ped State because one guy did some bad things is truly moronic and a real scumbag thing to do. I guess catholics, Hollywood, the media, OSU, and MSU, etc,etc should also get a disgusting nickname because some moron thinks it's funny.
Anyway, I'm done with you. Not wasting anymore of this board's time with this nonsense. I apologise husker fans.
I agree there are lot of people that had nothing to do with those disgusting acts, but there was more than one person responsible. If you cover it up or condone you are just as responsible so lets get that clear. So more than one person was responsible, if not why did pretty much everyone lose their job or get thrown in jail?

PSU has deep pockets AND wanted the fiasco they were involved in to go away as quickly as possible so they paid up. Now tell me if PSU were as guilt free as you state and with their DEEP pockets of cash why didn't they have demand their day in court to prove their innocence?
I agree there are lot of people that had nothing to do with those disgusting acts, but there was more than one person responsible. If you cover it up or condone you are just as responsible so lets get that clear. So more than one person was responsible, if not why did pretty much everyone lose their job or get thrown in jail?
Listen you seem like a rational guy so I don't want to take up your board space with Penn State crap which I guess I already have.
But in the criminal proceedings the conspiracy charge, or the cover-up charge, was dismissed by a jury. Please note the evidence of a cover-up was so weak that the defense didn't even put on a defense. The admins lost their jobs, and rightfully so, because while they reported to the youth charity - they should have also reported to cys. That wasn't an evil mistake because the youth charity is responsible for the kids but it was a negligent act regardless of the report.
And the admins didn't get thrown in jail. They did a month in jail and then got a month of house arrest. You and I both know if their crimes were no egregious they wouldn't have received such nothing penalties.
The problem is a lot of good folks believe what is reported in the media before the facts come out. The media destroys people and then you can never unring the bell. Just look at our politics.

Listen you seem like a rational guy so I don't want to take up your board space with Penn State crap which I guess I already have.
But in the criminal proceedings the conspiracy charge, or the cover-up charge, was dismissed by a jury. Please note the evidence of a cover-up was so weak that the defense didn't even put on a defense. The admins lost their jobs, and rightfully so, because while they reported to the youth charity - they should have also reported to cys. That wasn't an evil mistake because the youth charity is responsible for the kids but it was a negligent act regardless of the report.
And the admins didn't get thrown in jail. They did a month in jail and then got a month of house arrest. You and I both know if their crimes were no egregious they wouldn't have received such nothing penalties.
The problem is a lot of good folks believe what is reported in the media before the facts come out. The media destroys people and then you can never unring the bell. Just look at our politics.
I am rational and again the current coaches, players, administrators can not be blamed for the past I agree with that point. But how in the hell did MM with what he heard, Joe Pa and I don't want to get into debate, the former administrators not call the Cops? If they all did the right thing then it would have been taken care of. Again, doing nothing with something that is so disgusting is as bad as the act. The cops were not called plain and simple so there lies the cover up.

Anyway you guys have a really good football team this year, good luck the rest of the year. I think it will be a sneaky good game in the Twin Cities this week.

I am rational and again the current coaches, players, administrators can not be blamed for the past I agree with that point. But how in the hell did MM with what he heard, Joe Pa and I don't want to get into debate, the former administrators not call the Cops? If they all did the right thing then it would have been taken care of. Again, doing nothing with something that is so disgusting is as bad as the act. The cops were not called plain and simple so there lies the cover up.

Anyway you guys have a really good football team this year, good luck the rest of the year. I think it will be a sneaky good game in the Twin Cities this week.
We'll agree to disagree.
I'm very worried about Minnesota, but I worry about every game. I haven't seen Minnesota play at all so I'm totally in the dark relative to the eyeball test.
Good luck to the Huskers as well. The only thing Nebreska needs is a good win. That will invigorate the team and also instill confidence which will lead to more wins. IMHO sports is all momentum and confidence. You need talent too obviously but the team has to believe.

We'll agree to disagree.
I'm very worried about Minnesota, but I worry about every game. I haven't seen Minnesota play at all so I'm totally in the dark relative to the eyeball test.
Good luck to the Huskers as well. The only thing Nebreska needs is a good win. That will invigorate the team and also instill confidence which will lead to more wins. IMHO sports is all momentum and confidence. You need talent too obviously but the team has to believe.
You haven't persuaded anyone. You get that, don't you? No one is surprised when the justice system misfires. The cold facts are that MM (who had no reason to lie) reported to Paterno what he heard and saw and Paterno did not report it to police. He thought reporting it to Second Mile was sufficient? What would be his motive for doing that? Take a hike, like you said you would a day ago.

Reactions: Thorrulz81
You haven't persuaded anyone. You get that, don't you? No one is surprised when the justice system misfires. The cold facts are that MM (who had no reason to lie) reported to Paterno what he heard and saw and Paterno did not report it to police. He thought reporting it to Second Mile was sufficient? What would be his motive for doing that? Take a hike, like you said you would a day ago.
I don't take advice from morons.

We’ll never be back.
I would say you are a coward for picking the most likely option. But the changes in college football have almost universally hurt us. Nebraska kids are softer and less talented...the changes in farming practices do not produce the purely strong kids that we saw in the 90s. Kids from Nebraska do not care to play football for NU and would rather get a scholarship from Chadron or one of the Dakotas. Omaha does not have the explosive talent it used to have. The south and Texas have improved their educational infrastructure and places like Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville are sucking population from the north. They have better weather and to some extent better job opportunities. The new marketing rules will kill small market schools. A player can go play in Houston, Atlanta, even the Chicago and make a lot more "money". If they cap it at a standard value then we have a chance but uncapped income and we have zero chance in the lincoln market. Hell, you can't even rely on omaha to support the huskers anymore. College football will change quite dramatically because of this ruling as school in big markets will be able to recruit much easier. So we are pretty much screwed as long as we play by the same rules, run the same offense, and defense...we didn't play by the rules though in 90s...we did everything we could to "bend" them to our advantage...maybe Frost has it in him to do such a thing...

Reactions: jimbob22
I would say you are a coward for picking the most likely option. But the changes in college football have almost universally hurt us. Nebraska kids are softer and less talented...the changes in farming practices do not produce the purely strong kids that we saw in the 90s. Kids from Nebraska do not care to play football for NU and would rather get a scholarship from Chadron or one of the Dakotas. Omaha does not have the explosive talent it used to have. The south and Texas have improved their educational infrastructure and places like Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville are sucking population from the north. They have better weather and to some extent better job opportunities. The new marketing rules will kill small market schools. A player can go play in Houston, Atlanta, even the Chicago and make a lot more "money". If they cap it at a standard value then we have a chance but uncapped income and we have zero chance in the lincoln market. Hell, you can't even rely on omaha to support the huskers anymore. College football will change quite dramatically because of this ruling as school in big markets will be able to recruit much easier. So we are pretty much screwed as long as we play by the same rules, run the same offense, and defense...we didn't play by the rules though in 90s...we did everything we could to "bend" them to our advantage...maybe Frost has it in him to do such a thing...
an Omaha kid was a first round pick last year.. in fact, the amount of Omaha kids our previous regimes overlooked outnumber the amount of huskers in the NFL

Omaha still produces talent. We're just finally going after it again.

everything else in here is just bizarre

an Omaha kid was a first round pick last year.. in fact, the amount of Omaha kids our previous regimes overlooked outnumber the amount of huskers in the NFL

Yes. And... from the guys that are walking on I'm not sure theres any truth to this notion that guys would rather have a scholarship from Chadron.

I don’t think you can say you’ll never be back. If you look at your recruiting classes, you are consistently bringing in 4-5 star players who clearly have tons of talent. It’s a stability problem. Nebraska has had like (correct me if I’m wrong) 5 coaches since the turn of the century. That creates an unstable environment and kids don’t want to go to programs when you are switching coaches at least once while they might be there. I truly believe that(unfortunately) Nebraska football will be back eventually. Will it be in the next 3-5 years? Who knows? Point is Big Red fans have stuff to be excited for you just need the better coaching to unleash the talent of your team.

Reactions: F5Tornado

Heisman trophy candidates to an occasional NFL player. We built our teams with offensive talent from Omaha. And the Omaha talent is as likely to go down south to play as NU now, or Iowa, because I don't remember a draft pick from last year...let alone a first round pick. I think your arguments make my argument. And if you can't fathom how the sell yourself rules will drive talent to big markets, then you need to see yourself out of this conversation. N. Suh was allowed to sell his image in Lincoln after he left. He had 2 billboards for a suit company in Lincoln. If he was in Dallas, or Houston, or Atlanta, or L.A, he would have made exponentially more money. The strange this is many of these areas don't have historically great teams. But I bet they will in 10 years. So we will still be competing with the actual blue bloods who have won something in the last 25 years...and then competing with the Georgia tech's of the world because their recruits can make more money. We have no chance against that. Fortunately it doesn't effin matter because it is football, amateur football, at that. It is stupid, pointless and we'll move on and might be happier.

Heisman trophy candidates to an occasional NFL player. We built our teams with offensive talent from Omaha. And the Omaha talent is as likely to go down south to play as NU now, or Iowa, because I don't remember a draft pick from last year...let alone a first round pick. I think your arguments make my argument. And if you can't fathom how the sell yourself rules will drive talent to big markets, then you need to see yourself out of this conversation. N. Suh was allowed to sell his image in Lincoln after he left. He had 2 billboards for a suit company in Lincoln. If he was in Dallas, or Houston, or Atlanta, or L.A, he would have made exponentially more money. The strange this is many of these areas don't have historically great teams. But I bet they will in 10 years. So we will still be competing with the actual blue bloods who have won something in the last 25 years...and then competing with the Georgia tech's of the world because their recruits can make more money. We have no chance against that. Fortunately it doesn't effin matter because it is football, amateur football, at that. It is stupid, pointless and we'll move on and might be happier.
we'll see about that big market piece. just like an undefeated minnesota team can't sell out a top 10 matchup, nobody in Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Los Angeles cares about amateur football.

Yes. And... from the guys that are walking on I'm not sure theres any truth to this notion that guys would rather have a scholarship from Chadron.
Da fu you talkin about? There has been more NFL talent playing in the Dakotas and small town nebraska than has graced NU over the last 10 years...I don't see it suddenly coming here. I would certainly tell my son to pass up a chance to walkon to the mess in Lincoln in favor of a scholie to win a championship in North Dakota. NU isn't what it was...the danger of Riley hire was it completely reset the program. We lost all connection to a Nebraska of the past with that garbage...if Wisky had determined to destroy our image, and connection to the state, and country they couldn't have hired a better guy than Mike Riley.

we'll see about that big market piece. just like an undefeated minnesota team can't sell out a top 10 matchup, nobody in Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Los Angeles cares about amateur football.
L.A cares a LOT when they have studs...and studs will follow money. Now Minneapolis sucks but I could New York eat up a college football team with a ton of freaks, considering they have literally nothing to cheer for outside of the yanks. A couple of those kids get wind that they can make 10k a semester off a couple billboards...and they will load up with talent. Then it will spread.

Da fu you talkin about? There has been more NFL talent playing in the Dakotas and small town nebraska than has graced NU over the last 10 years...I don't see it suddenly coming here. I would certainly tell my son to pass up a chance to walkon to the mess in Lincoln in favor of a scholie to win a championship in North Dakota. NU isn't what it was...the danger of Riley hire was it completely reset the program. We lost all connection to a Nebraska of the past with that garbage...if Wisky had determined to destroy our image, and connection to the state, and country they couldn't have hired a better guy than Mike Riley.
we literally just got a kid to walk on instead of accept a scholarship to wisconsin

L.A cares a LOT when they have studs...and studs will follow money. Now Minneapolis sucks but I could New York eat up a college football team with a ton of freaks, considering they have literally nothing to cheer for outside of the yanks. A couple of those kids get wind that they can make 10k a semester off a couple billboards...and they will load up with talent. Then it will spread.
hmm I don't remember the coliseum selling out when they were winning titles

and I certainly don't think USC's qb on a billboard would stand out to many compared to literal movie stars and lebron james

who would NYC's team be? rutgers?? syracuse?? dude you're clueless. a winless Knicks team is more popular than any college football team ever will be in NYC.

Ok State fan here, living in Omaha of late, signed up to comment on this thread. I've always liked interacting with NU fans from back in the Big XII days, and finally got to see a game in Lincoln last year. You guys have a lot going for you, loyal fan base, big stadium, history, etc. The one thing you don't have going for you, and where all the current problems come from is geography. Selfishly, I'd love to see NU back in the Big XII, but even the B1G lovers have to admit, that losing access to Texas recruiting has hurt. OSU wouldn't even have a football team without Texas kids. Those commenting about all the talent in Omaha just aren't being realistic, as there are literally hundreds of division 1 caliber kids in Texas every year, vs a handful in Nebraska. The only other comment I'd add is if you don't have elite talent across the board, you have to have elite QB play, and I don't think Martinez is ever going to be at that level. NU would be sitting at 6-3 right now with a difference maker at QB, and this thread wouldn't even have been started.

So, hang in there, Frost will be just fine if he gets a star QB soon. But to take the next step back to national glory, come home to the Big XII and start playing games in the South again. We'd love to have you!

hmm I don't remember the coliseum selling out when they were winning titles

and I certainly don't think USC's qb on a billboard would stand out to many compared to literal movie stars and lebron james

who would NYC's team be? rutgers?? syracuse?? dude you're clueless. a winless Knicks team is more popular than any college football team ever will be in NYC.

I'm from New York state. The closer you get to the city, the less people care about CFB. Even out by Buffalo, the NHL destroys CFB. CFB has no representation in the NE.

It's all pro sports out there. Maybe a little bit of CBB

ETA: It al changes in PA. They love them some PSU in PA. NJ doesn't care about CFB either

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Ok State fan here, living in Omaha of late, signed up to comment on this thread. I've always liked interacting with NU fans from back in the Big XII days, and finally got to see a game in Lincoln last year. You guys have a lot going for you, loyal fan base, big stadium, history, etc. The one thing you don't have going for you, and where all the current problems come from is geography. Selfishly, I'd love to see NU back in the Big XII, but even the B1G lovers have to admit, that losing access to Texas recruiting has hurt. OSU wouldn't even have a football team without Texas kids. Those commenting about all the talent in Omaha just aren't being realistic, as there are literally hundreds of division 1 caliber kids in Texas every year, vs a handful in Nebraska. The only other comment I'd add is if you don't have elite talent across the board, you have to have elite QB play, and I don't think Martinez is ever going to be at that level. NU would be sitting at 6-3 right now with a difference maker at QB, and this thread wouldn't even have been started.

So, hang in there, Frost will be just fine if he gets a star QB soon. But to take the next step back to national glory, come home to the Big XII and start playing games in the South again. We'd love to have you!
If I were a Husker fan, nothing would be more galling that patronizing comments like this. From an Okie State fan, no less. Btw, Martinez is a big-time talent.

If I were a Husker fan, nothing would be more galling that patronizing comments like this. From an Okie State fan, no less. Btw, Martinez is a big-time talent.

Hm, not sure where I patronized. Just my honest take from an outsider with no emotion invested. You sound like a sooner.

Just remember Graham Spannier was at Nebraska prior to Penn State.

I'm from New York state. The closer you get to the city, the less people care about CFB. Even out by Buffalo, the NHL destroys CFB. CFB has no representation in the NE.

It's all pro sports out there. Maybe a little bit of CBB

ETA: It al changes in PA. They love them some PSU in PA. NJ doesn't care about CFB either

This is true. I happen to live in NYC and there's probably a total of 3 NU fans here... Most of the people root for Rutgers but as we all know, there's nothing to root for there.

I'm surprised to see so many Iowa State fans around still. I thought they all died in the Iowa floods.

Dead!!!!

The Husker program sells out week after week. Until the day that ends this program will continue to have a pulse!

We are the definition of "DIE HARD".

Reactions: CatColumbia
I broke out the scarlet glasses again pre-season, but I’ll be damned if I buy into that again with no real signs of progress.

I’ll always be Husker fan, so it’ll never be dead to me. However, my passion and expectations have taken a pretty serious blow.

This sums up my feelings, in regards to Nebraska football the last decade.

Reactions: Winston Smith 84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT