Is Nebraska football dead?

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by CatColumbia, Nov 2, 2019.

1. ssmill777

ssmill777 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

They're just a bunch of vultures feeding on a dead carcass.

2. Thorrulz81

Thorrulz81 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

PSU has deep pockets AND wanted the fiasco they were involved in to go away as quickly as possible so they paid up. Now tell me if PSU were as guilt free as you state and with their DEEP pockets of cash why didn't they have demand their day in court to prove their innocence?

jimbob22 likes this.
  3. MJBMAN0405

MJBMAN0405 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Umm look at minny s record. The previous coaches were like 7-5. Or 8-4 on average. They were nOt destitute. PSU was never destitute. How many losing seasons has PSU had since Jo Pa left.

Wins bring recruits. Ut also proximity to talent helps a lo . Nebraska , iowa Kansas and missouri together do not add up to half of Florida or texas or ohio. Even Michigan. Wins can help get you on the radar a bit more when trying g to reach outside your area. So we are gonna have to win with the average talent we have recruited over the past few years. Not average compared to the west teams but we are gonna have to coach them up like the developmental programs

203 MJBMAN0405, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  4. BeautifulDayintheNeighborhood

Expand Collapse

WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE

5. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Not dead, but definitely in a coma right now.

CatColumbia likes this.
  6. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree there are lot of people that had nothing to do with those disgusting acts, but there was more than one person responsible. If you cover it up or condone you are just as responsible so lets get that clear. So more than one person was responsible, if not why did pretty much everyone lose their job or get thrown in jail?

7. PSUPride1

PSUPride1 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Listen you seem like a rational guy so I don't want to take up your board space with Penn State crap which I guess I already have.
    But in the criminal proceedings the conspiracy charge, or the cover-up charge, was dismissed by a jury. Please note the evidence of a cover-up was so weak that the defense didn't even put on a defense. The admins lost their jobs, and rightfully so, because while they reported to the youth charity - they should have also reported to cys. That wasn't an evil mistake because the youth charity is responsible for the kids but it was a negligent act regardless of the report.
    And the admins didn't get thrown in jail. They did a month in jail and then got a month of house arrest. You and I both know if their crimes were no egregious they wouldn't have received such nothing penalties.
    The problem is a lot of good folks believe what is reported in the media before the facts come out. The media destroys people and then you can never unring the bell. Just look at our politics.

8. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

this was about Penn State, genius.

9. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I am rational and again the current coaches, players, administrators can not be blamed for the past I agree with that point. But how in the hell did MM with what he heard, Joe Pa and I don't want to get into debate, the former administrators not call the Cops? If they all did the right thing then it would have been taken care of. Again, doing nothing with something that is so disgusting is as bad as the act. The cops were not called plain and simple so there lies the cover up.

Anyway you guys have a really good football team this year, good luck the rest of the year. I think it will be a sneaky good game in the Twin Cities this week.

10. PSUPride1

PSUPride1 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

We'll agree to disagree.
    I'm very worried about Minnesota, but I worry about every game. I haven't seen Minnesota play at all so I'm totally in the dark relative to the eyeball test.
    Good luck to the Huskers as well. The only thing Nebreska needs is a good win. That will invigorate the team and also instill confidence which will lead to more wins. IMHO sports is all momentum and confidence. You need talent too obviously but the team has to believe.

11. jimbob22

jimbob22 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

You haven't persuaded anyone. You get that, don't you? No one is surprised when the justice system misfires. The cold facts are that MM (who had no reason to lie) reported to Paterno what he heard and saw and Paterno did not report it to police. He thought reporting it to Second Mile was sufficient? What would be his motive for doing that? Take a hike, like you said you would a day ago.

Thorrulz81 likes this.
  12. PSUPride1

PSUPride1 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I don't take advice from morons.

13. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I would say you are a coward for picking the most likely option. But the changes in college football have almost universally hurt us. Nebraska kids are softer and less talented...the changes in farming practices do not produce the purely strong kids that we saw in the 90s. Kids from Nebraska do not care to play football for NU and would rather get a scholarship from Chadron or one of the Dakotas. Omaha does not have the explosive talent it used to have. The south and Texas have improved their educational infrastructure and places like Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville are sucking population from the north. They have better weather and to some extent better job opportunities. The new marketing rules will kill small market schools. A player can go play in Houston, Atlanta, even the Chicago and make a lot more "money". If they cap it at a standard value then we have a chance but uncapped income and we have zero chance in the lincoln market. Hell, you can't even rely on omaha to support the huskers anymore. College football will change quite dramatically because of this ruling as school in big markets will be able to recruit much easier. So we are pretty much screwed as long as we play by the same rules, run the same offense, and defense...we didn't play by the rules though in 90s...we did everything we could to "bend" them to our advantage...maybe Frost has it in him to do such a thing...

jimbob22 likes this.
  14. stltiger44

stltiger44 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

In a word...yes
    (Answer to OP’s question)

15. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

an Omaha kid was a first round pick last year.. in fact, the amount of Omaha kids our previous regimes overlooked outnumber the amount of huskers in the NFL

Omaha still produces talent. We're just finally going after it again.

everything else in here is just bizarre

16. mgbreis

mgbreis Senior
    Expand Collapse

Yes. And... from the guys that are walking on I'm not sure theres any truth to this notion that guys would rather have a scholarship from Chadron.

17. ScrewTheClowns

Expand Collapse

I don’t think you can say you’ll never be back. If you look at your recruiting classes, you are consistently bringing in 4-5 star players who clearly have tons of talent. It’s a stability problem. Nebraska has had like (correct me if I’m wrong) 5 coaches since the turn of the century. That creates an unstable environment and kids don’t want to go to programs when you are switching coaches at least once while they might be there. I truly believe that(unfortunately) Nebraska football will be back eventually. Will it be in the next 3-5 years? Who knows? Point is Big Red fans have stuff to be excited for you just need the better coaching to unleash the talent of your team.

F5Tornado likes this.
  18. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

Heisman trophy candidates to an occasional NFL player. We built our teams with offensive talent from Omaha. And the Omaha talent is as likely to go down south to play as NU now, or Iowa, because I don't remember a draft pick from last year...let alone a first round pick. I think your arguments make my argument. And if you can't fathom how the sell yourself rules will drive talent to big markets, then you need to see yourself out of this conversation. N. Suh was allowed to sell his image in Lincoln after he left. He had 2 billboards for a suit company in Lincoln. If he was in Dallas, or Houston, or Atlanta, or L.A, he would have made exponentially more money. The strange this is many of these areas don't have historically great teams. But I bet they will in 10 years. So we will still be competing with the actual blue bloods who have won something in the last 25 years...and then competing with the Georgia tech's of the world because their recruits can make more money. We have no chance against that. Fortunately it doesn't effin matter because it is football, amateur football, at that. It is stupid, pointless and we'll move on and might be happier.

19. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

we'll see about that big market piece. just like an undefeated minnesota team can't sell out a top 10 matchup, nobody in Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Los Angeles cares about amateur football.

20. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

Da fu you talkin about? There has been more NFL talent playing in the Dakotas and small town nebraska than has graced NU over the last 10 years...I don't see it suddenly coming here. I would certainly tell my son to pass up a chance to walkon to the mess in Lincoln in favor of a scholie to win a championship in North Dakota. NU isn't what it was...the danger of Riley hire was it completely reset the program. We lost all connection to a Nebraska of the past with that garbage...if Wisky had determined to destroy our image, and connection to the state, and country they couldn't have hired a better guy than Mike Riley.

21. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

L.A cares a LOT when they have studs...and studs will follow money. Now Minneapolis sucks but I could New York eat up a college football team with a ton of freaks, considering they have literally nothing to cheer for outside of the yanks. A couple of those kids get wind that they can make 10k a semester off a couple billboards...and they will load up with talent. Then it will spread.

22. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

we literally just got a kid to walk on instead of accept a scholarship to wisconsin

23. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

hmm I don't remember the coliseum selling out when they were winning titles

and I certainly don't think USC's qb on a billboard would stand out to many compared to literal movie stars and lebron james

who would NYC's team be? rutgers?? syracuse?? dude you're clueless. a winless Knicks team is more popular than any college football team ever will be in NYC.

24. teachum

Expand Collapse

Ok State fan here, living in Omaha of late, signed up to comment on this thread. I've always liked interacting with NU fans from back in the Big XII days, and finally got to see a game in Lincoln last year. You guys have a lot going for you, loyal fan base, big stadium, history, etc. The one thing you don't have going for you, and where all the current problems come from is geography. Selfishly, I'd love to see NU back in the Big XII, but even the B1G lovers have to admit, that losing access to Texas recruiting has hurt. OSU wouldn't even have a football team without Texas kids. Those commenting about all the talent in Omaha just aren't being realistic, as there are literally hundreds of division 1 caliber kids in Texas every year, vs a handful in Nebraska. The only other comment I'd add is if you don't have elite talent across the board, you have to have elite QB play, and I don't think Martinez is ever going to be at that level. NU would be sitting at 6-3 right now with a difference maker at QB, and this thread wouldn't even have been started.

So, hang in there, Frost will be just fine if he gets a star QB soon. But to take the next step back to national glory, come home to the Big XII and start playing games in the South again. We'd love to have you!

25. c3o

c3o Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I'm from New York state. The closer you get to the city, the less people care about CFB. Even out by Buffalo, the NHL destroys CFB. CFB has no representation in the NE.

It's all pro sports out there. Maybe a little bit of CBB

ETA: It al changes in PA. They love them some PSU in PA. NJ doesn't care about CFB either

Top_Gun_ likes this.
  26. SoFL Husker

SoFL Husker Defensive Coordinator
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Lift weights, lift weights, lift weights!

27. rcnut223

rcnut223 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Nope he had a similar walk-on offer at wisconsin

28. jimbob22

jimbob22 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

If I were a Husker fan, nothing would be more galling that patronizing comments like this. From an Okie State fan, no less. Btw, Martinez is a big-time talent.

29. teachum

Expand Collapse

Hm, not sure where I patronized. Just my honest take from an outsider with no emotion invested. You sound like a sooner.

30. Oldie but goodie

Expand Collapse

Just remember Graham Spannier was at Nebraska prior to Penn State.

31. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Did we have a coach molest young boys?

32. jimbob22

jimbob22 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Simply put, UNL does not need advice on anything, particularly football, from Okie State.

33. CatColumbia

CatColumbia Senior
    Expand Collapse

One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
    This is true. I happen to live in NYC and there's probably a total of 3 NU fans here... Most of the people root for Rutgers but as we all know, there's nothing to root for there.

34. teachum

Expand Collapse

Sounding even more like a sooner, aside from the fact that your spelling and grammar are in order.

Sinomatic likes this.
  35. slick1979uk

slick1979uk Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised to see so many Iowa State fans around still. I thought they all died in the Iowa floods.

36. bigredhunter

bigredhunter Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Dead!!!!

The Husker program sells out week after week. Until the day that ends this program will continue to have a pulse!

We are the definition of "DIE HARD".

CatColumbia likes this.
  37. F5Tornado

F5Tornado Senior
    Expand Collapse

BOOM! Not dead, but hurting big time.

38. Husker Todd

Husker Todd Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This sums up my feelings, in regards to Nebraska football the last decade.