ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska football dead?

So are you saying that a younger Tom Osborne and Charlie McBride couldn’t come in right now and make us a winning program again? Of course, they could.

No. Different era. The economy, real and virtual, was so less developed and places throughout the South still in disarray. We stood out.

Now, kids that play Frost's offense are headed to SMU and Memphis, for example, after that display last night.

Do I think an all-star recruiter and HC could make it in Lincoln? Maybe. Frost has proven to be neither so far.

I just think we have been given so many chances and eventually the odds catch-up. We are Iowa, without an identity. Maybe we can get to that level, but anything beyond is probably a pipe dream. Jimmy's and Joe's, too hard to find, when they are going everywhere else.

Urban was a quote CEO type then to you. Because he went room to room to oversee the staff and game plan also. Kinda worked out okay for OS.

If you prefer the rah ra type of coach. That’s fine more than one way to go style wise.
But talent wins, I would much rather have a coach that puts T250 kids on the field. Then constantly relying on low ranked kids and hoping they can be coached up.

Scott has 2 highly rated OL in this class and another one already in 2021. All I was saying is give the man time. Riley dug a massive hole with his horrible recruiting. N didn’t get to this point overnight.

Where are the WR and OLB so essential to our success?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Iowa has 5 top 10 finishes, 3 NYD6/BCS bowl games and 2 conference titles (yes, they are shared and pre conference title games) since Nebraska last did any of those things once.

And that is where we want to go, IMO, Iowa and Nebraska very similar in geography, population, etc...

PJ Fleck is a team builder. His teams have a high floor and a low ceiling, but that can always change. James Franklin has done well, but there's a huge difference between the four stars at Penn State and the low end four stars that NU has signed in the last 5 years.

I'm convinced most of our 4-Stars on this roster had a bunch of offers that weren't real, and we were the back-up plan. The team is littered with 2-star talent masquerading as 4-stars. Probably a real trend, IMO

Where are the WR and OLB so essential to our success?

well if you look
Zavier Betts is the 7th ranked Wr and #52 Nationally
Will Nixon has an impressive offer list
Teams that throw more than N does.

In today’s defense you need speed and guys that can be hybrids. Viper/Star/Joker whatever a school calls the position. It’s still a CB/lB that blitz’s one down and covers TE or RB another. So it’s tough for me to say how the N staff uses the 4 DB that are committed.

Urban was a quote CEO type then to you. Because he went room to room to oversee the staff and game plan also. Kinda worked out okay for OS.

If you prefer the rah ra type of coach. That’s fine more than one way to go style wise.
But talent wins, I would much rather have a coach that puts T250 kids on the field. Then constantly relying on low ranked kids and hoping they can be coached up.

Scott has 2 highly rated OL in this class and another one already in 2021. All I was saying is give the man time. Riley dug a massive hole with his horrible recruiting. N didn’t get to this point overnight.

Yes, Urban Meyer is definitely the CEO type. He would never go to a non-blueblood and try to build up gradually through coaching and motivation. He's a house-cleaner who needs 4-stars at every position to overwhelm his opponents.

Franklin has been successful in doing this at Penn State. Because it's still a blueblood. He wouldn't be able to do this at a middle-of-the-pack school.

To turn-around a long-suffering program like Minnesota, you need a guy like PJ Fleck. A totally hands-on coach and motivator. A guy who really walks the walk, and who helps young men set themselves up for success in all aspects of their lives. Rather than just running a football-factory and kicking kids to the curb when they're not useful anymore.

PJ Fleck is a team builder. His teams have a high floor and a low ceiling, but that can always change. James Franklin has done well, but there's a huge difference between the four stars at Penn State and the low end four stars that NU has signed in the last 5 years.

A coach like, say, James Franklin, would have a low ceiling at Minnesota. He can increase talent...but without the blueblood status helping him, he could only do so much.

Fleck, on the other hand, is a real difference-maker in all areas. And a good recruiter. You need a guy like this to build a non-blueblood program. I don't think Fleck has a low ceiling.

Yes, Urban Meyer is definitely the CEO type. He would never go to a non-blueblood and try to build up gradually through coaching and motivation. He's a house-cleaner who needs 4-stars at every position to overwhelm his opponents.

Franklin has been successful in doing this at Penn State. Because it's still a blueblood. He wouldn't be able to do this at a middle-of-the-pack school.

To turn-around a long-suffering program like Minnesota, you need a guy like PJ Fleck. A totally hands-on coach and motivator. A guy who really walks the walk, and who helps young men set themselves up for success in all aspects of their lives. Rather than just running a football-factory and kicking kids to the curb when they're not useful anymore.

Wow if that’s your opinion of Franklin you honestly don’t know the man.
You won’t fine a kid that will say that. You may find 1 or 2 that didn’t like the tough love discipline he had if you broke team rules.
In James years here, I also never heard one parent say that he was disingenuous. It’s always extremely positive whether the kid commits to PS or not.
I’m don’t have anything against PJ. He’s doing a good job. If we want respect as a conference all the teams need to step it up. He’s doing that for Minnesota, I fully expect them to play hard next Sat. I will be there, section 110 row9. I don’t think they have played a defense as good as why PS brings. While their OL is huge, it’s not good weight. Extremely slow afoot, which will be a real issue blocking the speed coming from the edges. Not only next week against PS but they play Iowa yet. AJ is beast, best DE in B1G next to Chase Young.
If both teams play to their capability.
Penn St should win by 10-13
At 3:30 Nov9th we’ll know all the answers.

Only a moron would make that kind of trashbag, ignorant statement. JS represents himself. If we start tainting groups because of bad members there's going to be a lot of tarnished people in the world. And we are doing quite well and recruiting exceptionally well so obviously folks don't agree with you.
Anyway, Nebreska is a great program with great fans. Difficult time right now but you'll be back. You need a game to reenergize the program.
I may be moronic, but in this case I am right. Just because Ped State football is back doesn't mean its Sandusky AND Paterno reputation has disappeared. Decades from now, that's what people will remember. If you took a nationwide poll right now and asked what people they know about Ped State, 80 percent would respond with Sandusky AND Paterno.

I may be moronic, but in this case I am right. Just because Ped State football is back doesn't mean its Sandusky AND Paterno reputation has disappeared. Decades from now, that's what people will remember. If you took a nationwide poll right now and asked what people they know about Ped State, 80 percent would respond with Sandusky AND Paterno.
Nope. You're a moron. Decades from now you'll still be a moron.
Sit in judgement on yourself. Best place to start.

I agree. And Nebraska is at a disadvantage in hiring a new coach since fans & media will demand someone with successful head coaching at a Power 5 school. That limits the selection pool. That job at that point would only appeal to a coach who's on a hot seat, looking for a new start. We always snub our nose at the next Matt Campbell and Chris Klieman.
Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Frost send their regards :p Well, probably Riley as well since you did specify a successful P5 coach. Neb has corned the market on finding guys that are specifically NOT P5 successful coaches.

Nope. You're a moron. Decades from now you'll still be a moron.
Sit in judgement on yourself. Best place to start.
I've already conceded I am a moron. I stipulate to that. My point stands re/ Ped State reputation. Re judging myself, I haven't raped any children or acquiesced to it. So I've got that.

I've already conceded I am a moron. I stipulate to that. My point stands re/ Ped State reputation. Re judging myself, I haven't raped any children or acquiesced to it. So I've got that.
You've conceded you're a moron so enough said on that subject. But to label an entire University as ped State because one guy did some bad things is truly moronic and a real scumbag thing to do. I guess catholics, Hollywood, the media, OSU, and MSU, etc,etc should also get a disgusting nickname because some moron thinks it's funny.
Anyway, I'm done with you. Not wasting anymore of this board's time with this nonsense. I apologise husker fans.

We’ll never be back.

nope, I’m going to bookmark posts like this and a couple years from now when Frost has team rolling good again lead by Luke McCaffrey or Logan Smothers and having O-Tackles in Benhart and T Corcoran and having weapons like W Robinson, Z Betts, J Nance, D Chase, D Houston and RBs like R Johnson and R Thompkins. I’ll gladly bring stuff up like this saying hey, you should have allowed the man time to rebuild his team up. GBR

Reactions: HuskerDana
nope, I’m going to bookmark posts like this and a couple years from now when Frost has team rolling good again lead by Luke McCaffrey or Logan Smothers and having O-Tackles in Benhart and T Corcoran and having weapons like W Robinson, Z Betts, J Nance, D Chase, D Houston and RBs like R Johnson and R Thompkins. I’ll gladly bring stuff up like this saying hey, you should have allowed the man time to rebuild his team up. GBR

And I hope you’re right. I really do. My Saturday’s will be more pleasant. But the odds are far greater that this thing won’t get turned around by our standards which is 90s football. I haven’t seen an ounce of glimpse from our staff in coaching and recruiting (at an elite level) to get this thing where we want it.

And no need to bookmark, anybody with common sense feels very similar after witnessing the last 5 years.

And I hope you’re right. I really do. My Saturday’s will be more pleasant. But the odds are far greater that this thing won’t get turned around by our standards which is 90s football. I haven’t seen an ounce of glimpse from our staff in coaching and recruiting (at an elite level).

but bro, it’s only mid year 2. Frost will have this team looking a lot different once those guys I mention above hit their sophomore and junior years. Right now, our upperclassmen aren’t very good at all. Our best players are freshmen and sophomores. Once those guys come of age, things will look a lot different. I truly believe that. Now it may never go back to the 90s type success but we will start competing and winning games like we should. That I truly believe. GBR

You've conceded you're a moron so enough said on that subject. But to label an entire University as ped State because one guy did some bad things is truly moronic and a real scumbag thing to do. I guess catholics, Hollywood, the media, OSU, and MSU, etc,etc should also get a disgusting nickname because some moron thinks it's funny.
Anyway, I'm done with you. Not wasting anymore of this board's time with this nonsense. I apologise husker fans.
It wasn't just "one guy" that was responsible for the horrible acts that occurred at PSU over a long period of time. The individuals who could have put a stop to what was happening early on instead chose to look the other way for the sake of winning football games. Truly despicable acts and should not be defended or downplayed. That will be be what PSU is remembered for before anything they can do on the field.

It wasn't just "one guy" that was responsible for the horrible acts that occurred at PSU over a long period of time. The individuals who could have put a stop to what was happening early on instead chose to look the other way for the sake of winning football games. Truly despicable acts and should not be defended or downplayed. That will be be what PSU is remembered for before anything they can do on the field.
You're just wrong on the facts. I don't blame you because this is what the media and ESPN told you. The facts are the 98 incident was reported to all the the legal authorities and they found no abuse. In 2001 Penn State's AD reported the shower allegation to the second mile charity, the organization responsible for the kids. That organization told js to wear swim trunks when showering with kids and they are the experts.
In a court of law what you alleged was laughed out of court by a jury without the defense even putting on a defense. The lead prosecutor has indicated Paterno followed law to T.
Nothing was done to win football games. That's just a ridiculous thing to say. What's despicable is misrepresenting what happened but I don't blame you because the sports media never reported their horseshit narrative was totally rejected in court.
The admins pled guilty to one misdemeanor.
Just watch what's going on in the media today and especially with the sports media. The media destroys people first without ever waiting for facts or a legal process to play out. And after the damage is done they never go back.

If there’s an option to vote for “It’s not dead, but we’re a nationally ranked 40-60 team at best for the next 4 years” - I’d say that’s fair. We’re not even on the right street let alone knocking on the door of the upper tier. Sucks, I wish we were, but we’re not and won’t be till we see radical changes in many aspects. I do believe in Frost, but this isn’t USF. I broke out the scarlet glasses again pre-season, but I’ll be damned if I buy into that again with no real signs of progress.

I’ll always be Husker fan, so it’ll never be dead to me. However, my passion and expectations have taken a pretty serious blow.

You're just wrong on the facts. I don't blame you because this is what the media and ESPN told you. The facts are the 98 incident was reported to all the the legal authorities and they found no abuse. In 2001 Penn State's AD reported the shower allegation to the second mile charity, the organization responsible for the kids. That organization told js to wear swim trunks when showering with kids and they are the experts.
In a court of law what you alleged was laughed out of court by a jury without the defense even putting on a defense. The lead prosecutor has indicated Paterno followed law to T.
Nothing was done to win football games. That's just a ridiculous thing to say. What's despicable is misrepresenting what happened but I don't blame you because the sports media never reported their horseshit narrative was totally rejected in court.
Just watch what's going on in the media today and especially with the sports media. The media destroys people first without ever waiting for facts or a legal process to play out. And after the damage is done they never go back.
The school president, senior vice president and athletic director are guilty of child endangerment. (That's four people, including Sandusky.) The abuse of 10 boys occurred over 15 years, but Joe didn't know. Who's the moron?

The school president, senior vice president and athletic director are guilty of child endangerment. (That's four people, including Sandusky.) The abuse of 10 boys occurred over 15 years, but Joe didn't know. Who's the moron?
your original point (nobody will remember/associate in 15 years) is better than this one.

just saying.

Yes

Snyder hired 89 > Osborne leaves 97 > Snyder takes over the North from NU 98-03 > NU kneejerks and fires it’s best possible coach in Solich > Bill Callahan 04-06 / Snyder retires > Pelini resurgence of NU 07-10 > on a platter to run the North for years ahead and be a top 10 team again on upward trend to do so 2007-2010......and dominate CFB again.

But you leave for the BIG SLOW. Swallow your stupid Texas pride, Call your regents or forever hold your peace as a 4-8 to 8-4 program perpetually....

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/...-pay-59-7-million-to-26-sandusky-victims.html

Sounds guilty to me no matter how you spin it.

They pled guilty to child endangerment for reporting to the second mile charity instead of cys. And for this horrendous crime they got a month of house arrest.
Joe reported the one allegation brought to his attention which is why the lead prosecutor, and not some moron on a message board, indicated he did nothing wrong.
Pedophiles don't wear signs moron. And J's ran a youth charity so it was normal to see him with kids. If you weren't just trying to be an idiot common sense would kick in.
I guess we should have all known what was going on in the church, etc. Smh.

They should have sued the youth charity but Penn State has the deep pockets. The admins were guilty of reporting to the youth charity instead of cys for what that's worth. They did that in 98 and cys did nothing. Anyway, the admins got house arrest - which is the clearest proof this was a mistake. As I said the conspiracy charges were dismissed.

They pled guilty to child endangerment for reporting to the second mile charity instead of cys. And for this horrendous crime they got a month of house arrest.
Joe reported the one allegation brought to his attention which is why the lead prosecutor, and not some moron on a message board, indicated he did nothing wrong.
Pedophiles don't wear signs moron. And J's ran a youth charity so it was normal to see him with kids. If you weren't just trying to be an idiot common sense would kick in.
I guess we should have all known what was going on in the church, etc. Smh.
Stay classy, PED STATE!

We fired Bo cause the fans got their feelings hurt.
Melvin Gordon scores again!!! No thanks We are bad because of the dud hires over the last twenty years. Trying to relive those years is insane. Maybe we should redo the Devaney era or rehire Tom as coach of course. Because he was a awful AD. How about Barry Switzer I hear He has huge Oklahoma and Texas ties. Bring us the Wishbone

If you really think this program is dead, then why are you here posting? Why would somebody follow a dead program? If you think the program is dead, then you're the stupid one for wasting your time with it.
They're just a bunch of vultures feeding on a dead carcass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT