ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska football dead?

Take it from a PennSt alumnus who seen the program highs and the lows that had us thinking WeAre dead too.

N football is far from dead, it’s down currently, and yes today sucked.
But .. you have premium facilities, an administration that wants to win and most of all a fan base that matches any other.
N has a issue on both side of the line. That’s recruiting and Scott is addressing it in the 2020 & already has another big highly ranked kid in 2021.
Franklin recruits like few others, but it took 3 years of 4star recruits on the OL until they got experience and started winning. Now the LOS is one of PS strengths.

I think you have the correct coach. Now it’s about recruiting, the one advantage N has is the transfer portal.
Proven kids entering the portal every month.
It’s hard but be patient! GBR will be kick people’s a$$ again soon.

No Mike Riley’s team did not looks better than this. Bo’s looked better except in big games. Bill’s sometimes. Frank’s generally.

I used to think that Riley’s team was the worst, but I think this team takes the cake. On the bright side, we somehow won 4 games.

It's a coaching problem, not a program problem. Blame it on Scott Frost, don't blame it on the program. Heck, Bo freakin' Pelini got this team to 9 win seasons. Was Bo some kind of miracle worker? I don't believe that.

No, but he coached in the Big 12 with 8 game conference seasons. The Big Ten made us rich, but it is also notorious for creating abysmal football programs while having 2 or 3 relevant teams.

It's a coaching problem, not a program problem. Blame it on Scott Frost, don't blame it on the program. Heck, Bo freakin' Pelini got this team to 9 win seasons. Was Bo some kind of miracle worker? I don't believe that.

Bo was riding on the wave of Callahan recruits. And the Nebraska power was still relevant then. Watch any game prior to ‘02 and you will see a well coached/hard nosed program. We started losing that with Bo after year 4 and it’s gotten to the point where we have nothing, no identity.

No, but he coached in the Big 12 with 8 game conference seasons. The Big Ten made us rich, but it is also notorious for creating abysmal football programs while having 2 or 3 relevant teams.
Heck, we ought to be able to be at least as good in the Big Ten as Iowa. Minnesota got things turned around this year. We're not asking for national championships-right now we ought to be at the very least able to make bowl games every year. We're not even doing that. I will not excuse the horrible coaching by blaming the conference.

Bo was riding on the wave of Callahan recruits. And the Nebraska power was still relevant then. Watch any game prior to ‘02 and you will see a well coached/hard nosed program. We started losing that with Bo after year 4 and it’s gotten to the point where we have nothing, no identity.

BS

It was nowhere close to this bad under Bo.

Reactions: bshirt73
I'm no Bo fan, but pointing out that if a mediocre at best coach can get us to 9 wins every year, we ought to at least be able to make a bowl game every year.

Heck, we ought to be able to be at least as good in the Big Ten as Iowa. Minnesota got things turned around this year. We're not asking for national championships-right now we ought to be at the very least able to make bowl games every year. We're not even doing that. I will not excuse the horrible coaching by blaming the conference.

Why should we be? Because Bob Devaney coached us in the 60’s? Because TO was probably the greatest coach in CFB history? Because we spend a lot of money? Take out our history which was due to 1 or two guys and what do we have left? We have a program that is in a horrible geographic footprint with a fan base that expects every coach to live up to the expectations of what the best coach in CFB history did here.

I would love it if Nebraska could compete for conference and national titles, but the fact is we are behind every single Big Ten West program outside of Illinois right now. We are the 6th best program in the Big Ten West. Firing coaches isn’t going to change that overnight, our last 4 coaching searches have produced Frank who did pretty damn well, but he rebounded at Ohio. Callahan who went back to the NFL as a position coach, Pelini who didn’t even have a FBS level offer and now Scott who appears probably wasn’t quite ready. He’s in year 4 as a head coach and has had 1 winning season, maybe it was a fluke. I think it’s time to realize we aren’t better than Iowa or Wisconsin, we are level with Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois right now probably. Minnesota is a year ahead of us, Iowa is years ahead of us and Wisconsin may be a decade ahead of us.

It is no fair the other teams are using their secret weapons against us.

Patrick Ramsey and now a walk on third string QB? Naw, that looked more like Trevor Lawrence and Tua T. Against us.

Reactions: K_Y_E
I ain't happy, to be sure. But, it didn't take 2 years to break this crap, and it will surely take longer to fix it. That said, good Lord are we embarassing. There's a realistic chance that we go 4-8 again. Frosty needs to figure this out. On crappy season is one thing, but if we have back to back 4 win seasons, he's gotta take some blame. Soft ass team, confused, ineffective QB, and brain dead decisions made on all sides of the ball. Fix this crap Frost. He gets 4 to 5 years, enough time to get his recruits in and do something. Today sucks, as it made me realize just how awful this team is, but I still have hope for the future. Just not this year.

Reactions: ssmill777 and c3o

Such a bad take. The B1G is one of the deepest leagues for talented balance. In fact, there are currently 6 B1G teams in the Top 20.
Until the NE fans and their football program start respecting the Conference they belong to now, rather than making excuses and whining for the good old days of the Big 8/12, the sooner they might actually start having success. NE came into the B1G expecting to just dominate, without ever bothering to adapt to the B1G style, which requires great OL and DL’s. They have all but ignored this part of their squad over the years, instead mainly focusing on skill positions. PSU joined our conference, didn’t act like an entitled program, adapted and found a way to thrive.
Maybe this season is the first step in humility for your program that allows you to quit living in the past, focus on the future and rebuild your program the right way.

I'm no Bo fan, but pointing out that if a mediocre at best coach can get us to 9 wins every year, we ought to at least be able to make a bowl game every year.

we are in a hell of a lot better conference that the B12 was and the BIG is way better than it was when Nebraska first joined it. We also played 4 non-con games a season when Bo was here now 3. I get really tired of hearing how Bo won 9 a year and the assumption that he’d have continued to do so.

I haven't posted in three years. Felt complelled to today. This program has become embarrassing. We have no better than two star players being coached by community college level coaches. We're soft on the lines. We have guys that cant cover, and kids that cant tackle. We're soft and weak. I'm so disappointed to where this program has become. Scott needs to can most of his staff, pay for quality guys and start recruiting their ass off. This ridiculous. Right now, Mike Riley's teams look better than this. And I didn't think that was possible.
I don't think Riley's teams looked better. But...what I saw today was problematic. On defense, there was way more shoving than tackling. On offense, when AM wasn't running for his life he was airmailing his passes. NV is not the answer. NU has 4 - 5 play makers, and when the other team can identify them and contain them, nothing happens. I have been watching NU since 1968, and the lack of some support for the play makers is (IMHO) the real problem. Don't know if it is coaching or effort, but Johnny Rogers couldn't have had the same impact with no OL and no blockers on special teams. The OL was a sieve today, especially in the 2nd half. What is missing from the '70s and '90's is 22 players who care. Is that on the coaches - maybe. But when the TV announcers start to talk about the half assed effort of the defensive players, something is terribly wrong.

Reactions: Millard Husker
Take it from a PennSt alumnus who seen the program highs and the lows that had us thinking WeAre dead too.

N football is far from dead, it’s down currently, and yes today sucked.
But .. you have premium facilities, an administration that wants to win and most of all a fan base that matches any other.
N has a issue on both side of the line. That’s recruiting and Scott is addressing it in the 2020 & already has another big highly ranked kid in 2021.
Franklin recruits like few others, but it took 3 years of 4star recruits on the OL until they got experience and started winning. Now the LOS is one of PS strengths.

I think you have the correct coach. Now it’s about recruiting, the one advantage N has is the transfer portal.
Proven kids entering the portal every month.
It’s hard but be patient! GBR will be kick people’s a$$ again soon.

They don’t have the recruiting pipelines you guys do. If they were in state college yeah they could be you guys in 3 years... so could Illinois Lol.

Nebraska as a State has one current four star recruit.. Pennsylvania has nine. And before you say “well we only got one committed” that’s because you guys are in a place as a program where you can go out and get whoever you want nationally ... or you’d have gotten 7 of 9...

They don’t have the recruiting pipelines you guys do. If they were in state college yeah they could be you guys in 3 years... so could Illinois Lol.

Nebraska as a State has one current four star recruit.. Pennsylvania has nine. And before you say “well we only got one committed” that’s because you guys are in a place as a program where you can go out and get whoever you want nationally ... or you’d have gotten 7 of 9...

Your fan base and program love the excuses. Figure it out and find a way. Iowa and Wisconsin have and they don’t have the pipelines.

Reactions: MitchLL
Such a bad take. The B1G is one of the deepest leagues for talented balance. In fact, there are currently 6 B1G teams in the Top 20.
Until the NE fans and their football program start respecting the Conference they belong to now, rather than making excuses and whining for the good old days of the Big 8/12, the sooner they might actually start having success. NE came into the B1G expecting to just dominate, without ever bothering to adapt to the B1G style, which requires great OL and DL’s. They have all but ignored this part of their squad over the years, instead mainly focusing on skill positions. PSU joined our conference, didn’t act like an entitled program, adapted and found a way to thrive.
Maybe this season is the first step in humility for your program that allows you to quit living in the past, focus on the future and rebuild your program the right way.

Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern are bottom tier programs. Minnesota is doing well now, maybe a year here and there with success, but nothing sustained. Almost 50% of the B1G is crap right now, including Nebraska.

Your fan base and program love the excuses. Figure it out and find a way. Iowa and Wisconsin have and they don’t have the pipelines.

Lol I’m a Purdue fan ...

Wisconsin has a 25 year identity that caters to their home state strength (huge OL aplenty) And was established before the spread changed the conference. They have a permanent foothold in New Jersey as well I believe.

You guys have an OL mastermind and have always erred on the side of staying with more farm grown kids and tough kids in general than the kind of juco rejects and pansies Nebraska has brought in. Their “talent” reminds me of the kids tiller brought in post 03.. when the Orlando Sentinel had us #1 in the nation pre 05 and we finished 5-7.

Purdue fans hold Wisconsin and Iowa in high esteem

Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern are bottom tier programs. Minnesota is doing well now, maybe a year here and there with success, but nothing sustained. Almost 50% of the B1G is crap right now, including Nebraska.

Guess whose 2020 recruiting class is currently 24th nationally, and behind only Ohio State (3), Michigan (6) and Penn State (13) in the big ten? And these kids will come in and do it right

75513613_10107300312068039_117517842886164480_n.jpg

Heck, we ought to be able to be at least as good in the Big Ten as Iowa.

Guess it better figure it out then.

Going back to 2001 Iowa has won 164 football games and Nebraska has won 148. I'm shocked the difference was that close.

Guess whose 2020 recruiting class is currently 24th nationally, and behind only Ohio State (3), Michigan (6) and Penn State (13) in the big ten? And these kids will come in and do it right

Recruiting rankings in early November mean nothing. Nebraska could offer 7 low 3 stars, get them to commit and jump Purdue. Purdue will be lucky to finish in the top 35-40 since they have a class of 20 already.

Well, they thought that in the 40's and 50's, but they came out of it. Just need a better coach and staff to resurrect the program.

I've heard this line from nearly every northwest Iowa Husker fan for at least 15 years. Every goddam year. It's a lack of institutional control, and it started the day Tom sold his soul for better players and more steroids.

Reactions: UCF-CZ and jimbob22
we are in a hell of a lot better conference that the B12 was and the BIG is way better than it was when Nebraska first joined it. We also played 4 non-con games a season when Bo was here now 3. I get really tired of hearing how Bo won 9 a year and the assumption that he’d have continued to do so.
Any concrete evidence that he wouldnt have?

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
the difference between KF and Frost is the coaching and its not even close.
what's going be the excuse if KF's get's a top 25 class in the 2020 class and then gets more to follow,

he has only had 1 top 25 class and that was the 2005 class that was rated #11.

his new coaches are opening doors in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and even moreso in Texas and Florida.

sorry but Iowa is getting better on the recruiting side of the fb game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT