ADVERTISEMENT

If you thought S&C were out of sorts...

I agree with you.

1. I don't know who he would go report things to
2. Just because the other SC coach was doing things different doesn't mean it is "bad"

It would be like Keith Williams reporting to SE that Riley was doing it "wrong"

It wasn't just "bad" it was obviously detrimental to the program to not make players lift.

Here's tOSU with their Jammers. Not sure, but I think the evolution of the exercise emphasizes explosion/form over weight? See how tOSU has rubber coil resistance in their Jammers? Interesting approach.

Could be the source of the initial problem (AP outbreak) at Nebraska. Interesting how the exercise/device is still used to this day, developed by Boyd.

But keep bashing, makes a lot of sense to blame Epley for Smilin Mike's utter failure and dismantling of everything good about Husker football/Husker Power.

Danke.

I know that Bell West High School doesn't do any olympic lifts and they have been doing great.
The clean/power clean is not an Olympic lift- neither are Squats

and High School football is a much different game that BIG football

REst assured Bama and Penn State- Cleans and Squats are the most important lifts they are doing and they are priorities #1 and #2

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
The clean/power clean is not an Olympic lift- neither are Squats

and High School football is a much different game that BIG football

Nor did I say they were...And you kind of came off as a jackass right there. I don't think you meant it to be that way but you did.

I think teams should do any lifts that they think will make them better. Period.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Nor did I say they were...And you kind of came off as a jackass right there. I don't think you meant it to be that way but you did.

I think teams should do any lifts that they think will make them better. Period.
When we are talking specifically about Cleans and you say:
"I know that Bell West High School doesn't do any olympic lifts and they have been doing great"= one could assume since no mention of other lifts or olympic lifts were made- that you thought cleans were olympic lifts. No one had said the word Olympic Lifts- until you brought it up.
The only movements being discussed were jammers, cleans and maybe squats
None of those are olympic lifts- no olympic lifts were being discussed

Not sure how I could have thought differently. Lots of people have no clue what a clean is- have never done them. You dont see many people in gyms doing them Im guessing few people have ever done cleans or even seen them, They are great for football- but they do suck- when going heavy expect to throw up- Im simply amazed Frost can still do 300X5

The best college teams in the country- Bama- OSU are doing Cleans and Squats- we need to be doing Cleans and Squats- not what High School teams are doing

Last edited:
When we are talking specifically about Cleans and you say:
"I know that Bell West High School doesn't do any olympic lifts and they have been doing great"= one could assume since no mention of other lifts or olympic lifts were made- that you thought cleans were olympic lifts. No one had said the word Olympic Lifts- until you brought it up.
The only movements being discussed were jammers, cleans and maybe squats
None of those are olympic lifts- no olympic lifts were being discussed

Not sure how I could have thought differently. Lots of people have no clue what a clean is- have never done them. You dont see many people in gyms doing them Im guessing few people have ever done cleans or even seen them, They are great for football- but they do suck- when going heavy expect to throw up- Im simply amazed Frost can still do 300X5

The best college teams in the country- Bama- OSU are doing Cleans and Squats- we need to be doing Cleans and Squats- not what High School teams are doing

I suppose you could have thought differently if you were smart? Could that be how?

My point was...teams do different things.

Frost embracing this culture is probably the single most important aspect of his tenure. Did you hear how he challenged the UCF team with a set of 5 cleans at 300lbs? That is no joke! Frost also led the team during his days at QB in cleans, arguably the most athletic lift the team will embrace. Guy is a freak of nature physically and ready to implement Husker Power again, with all the associated accountability and demanded results. GBR!

I wonder if Riley ever challenged any of his kids to be able to stick with him- race him on his bike ride home to the hotel?

Or try and stick with him during his pilates or yoga workout?

Im sure they would have been impressed

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
My point was...teams do different things.

I think its wise to copy the best College Teams in the country
Not a High School team known for finesse and not much defense

You didnt know Clean wasnt an Olympic lift- no harm in that. It is part of an olympic lift- but it isnt one

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to PM me your apology. That is big of you.

Last edited:
WOW. Frost was cleaning 300 in college and then cleaned over 300 as a 40 year old man... that should turn some heads in the weight room. I would say the S&C motto for the team at this point should be “don’t let coach out lift or outrun you...”
Yeah but how's his snatch? SmokinSmokinSmokin

I like the idea of hybrid and electric cars but I hate the Prius. In-laws had one and I drove it from IL to NE a couple times. Never liked the layout of it, bad sight lines, no comfortable place to rest your arms, didn't like the display setups. But I also don't like the way Toyotas feel to drive in general. They offered it to us for free when they got their new Volt and I turned it down.

Sneakier problem with them is the maintenance. It's like $500 to put a headlight in them because you have to pull a bunch of crap out of it to get at the lamps.

But as a vehicle it's certainly not any more douchey than the guy who lifts his truck and puts the huge wheels on it yet never does any more off-roading than to occasionally park on the grass at a big event. And the greatest act of vehicular douchery in the world are these guys:

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
imgres
At the end of the day- what is going to give todays player more confidence

Playing for .500 coach:

Or playing for this guy- who won everywhere he's been and Cleans 300 lbs 5 times:
imgres

This is just my hunch, but when Riley was hired and all the players said "Who" and googled, yahoo'ed, ask jeeves, netscaped him...they were all probably very freaking underwhelmed.

Reactions: davecisar
imgres
At the end of the day- what is going to give todays player more confidence

Playing for .500 coach:

Or playing for this guy- who won everywhere he's been and Cleans 300 lbs 5 times:
imgres
IDGAF what he lifts as long as he wins. They're not gonna bring a bar and plates out to the 50 yard line in Indy and make him and Urban do power cleans for the B1G title.

The players will be accountable to whoever holds them accountable and they'll win games for whoever recruits, trains and coaches players the best way. It's got nothing to do with whether Frost rolls up in some 70s muscle car.

Frank Solich did a lot of push-ups. How's his head coaching career, pretty stellar?

The micro-analysis about tiny aspects of somebody's personality that takes place on this board, sweet Jesus. People talk on here like some guy can never get a 4* player because his shoes aren't cool enough.

It goes to credibilty- respect of his players
Which is important- if you want kids to buy in and follow you

The kids TOTALLY respect a guy that can come in and outlift them at age 42
It means hes a legit athlete- and one that STILL works hard on the weights AND the lift they probably all HATE the most
Same for someone that can still run the Scout Team
It matters, it does
Football is a very physical and extremely violent game- it isnt for the faint of heart

Do you really think the players respected smilin mike behind his back?
I didnt see any tearful farewells from his players after he got fired
Zack Darlington played for him for 3 years and he mentioned everyone but Riley in his signing off statement

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedLegion
IDGAF what he lifts as long as he wins. They're not gonna bring a bar and plates out to the 50 yard line in Indy and make him and Urban do power cleans for the B1G title.

Ill sign that petition. Point me to it and lets make it happen!!

Reactions: TheBeav815
I like the idea of hybrid and electric cars but I hate the Prius. In-laws had one and I drove it from IL to NE a couple times. Never liked the layout of it, bad sight lines, no comfortable place to rest your arms, didn't like the display setups. But I also don't like the way Toyotas feel to drive in general. They offered it to us for free when they got their new Volt and I turned it down.

Sneakier problem with them is the maintenance. It's like $500 to put a headlight in them because you have to pull a bunch of crap out of it to get at the lamps.

That's why I drive a 1st generation Prius (actually have 3 of them). The body style is just like any other small car.

Headlights are easily changed in any Prius if you have any mechanical ability.

It goes to credibilty- respect of his players
Which is important- if you want kids to buy in and follow you

The kids TOTALLY respect a guy that can come in and outlift them at age 42
It means hes a legit athlete- and one that STILL works hard on the weights AND the lift they probably all HATE the most
Same for someone that can still run the Scout Team
It matters, it does
Football is a very physical and extremely violent game- it isnt for the faint of heart

Do you really think the players respected smilin mike behind his back?
I didnt see any tearful farewells from his players after he got fired
Zack Darlington played for him for 3 years and he mentioned everyone but Riley in his signing off statement
Ok, you're 100% right. And it was all because he rode a bike, not because they were losing a bunch of games. If Riley lifted more weights they for sure would have won the B1G and he'd still have a job.

Ok, you're 100% right. And it was all because he rode a bike, not because they were losing a bunch of games. If Riley lifted more weights they for sure would have won the B1G and he'd still have a job.

hey if youre a 63 year old guy who rides a bike to work with the oversized helmet and have 3 priuses- and talk like Mr Rodgers and havent been able to lift your own body weight since the 6th grade- more power to you-
No need to get uptight about it
Doesnt make you a bad person- you could be an awesome person

Just someone most DI college football players, playing a very physical and violent sport- arent going to be anxious to follow- especially when they check the internet and see you are a .500 coach from the least physical conference in the country

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to PM me your apology. That is big of you.

You must be talking about someone else
I dont use PM
And no need to apologise- you were wrong- no sin in not knowing what classifications lifts are in- lots of people dont know- now you do- move on

Ok I doubt Frost will be cleaning 300 pounds in his 50s or 60s. That doesn't matter.
Getting them motivated does. There are plenty of coaches who can do that without being physical freaks.
Riley couldn't. We know.

hey if youre a 63 year old guy who rides a bike to work with the oversized helmet and have 3 priuses- and talk like Mr Rodgers and havent been able to lift your own body weight since the 6th grade- more power to you-
No need to get uptight about it
Doesnt make you a bad person- you could be an awesome person

Just someone most DI college football players, playing a very physical and violent sport- arent going to be anxious to follow- especially when they check the internet and see you are a .500 coach from the least physical conference in the country
"You can't be soft spoken or old and expect to have success coaching D1 athletes." - Tom Osborne

"A coach has to be in peak physical condition himself or his players will never respect him and he won't win." - Bobby Bowden

It's a fun factoid that Frost is still a beast. It's a cool parlor trick for when he wants to gas up his players. It's good for his health. It was fun to watch him run scout team during GaTech week. All fine and well.

It has virtually zero impact on whether or not he will put trophies on shelves at NU. He'd be the first to tell you that.

Players don't comply with you because of how much you as the HC can lift. They comply because of consequences for their lack of compliance. Frost himself has said over and over that leadership has to come from the players, that they need to police themselves.

By all means, remind me what position Belichik played at a high level and how much he squats in order to be respected. Or maybe, just maybe, it's that on his team if you don't follow the rules down to the letter you get benched or traded and that's why the Patriots have been a well-oiled machine for the better part of two decades.

You must be talking about someone else
I dont use PM
And no need to apologise- you were wrong- no sin in not knowing what classifications lifts are in- lots of people dont know- now you do- move on

Again, I appreciate what you did. You learned something today and were able to admit a mistake.

Let me know if you need help running your wedge

Think its about time our athletic department goes green. These kids need to push around the staffs vehicles everywhere they go. Horse power pfft

"You can't be soft spoken or old and expect to have success coaching D1 athletes." - Tom Osborne

"A coach has to be in peak physical condition himself or his players will never respect him and he won't win." - Bobby Bowden

I.

Ive met and spent time in private meetings with both TO and Bobby Bowden
Both had a very commanding presence and both were accomplished athletes- TO played in the NFL and was Nebraskas Athlete of the Year

While TO was soft spoken- he was a very fiery competitor and all of his players will tell you- he had bad cops like Charlie McBride doing some of his dirty work

I didnt meet Bobby B until he was in his early 70s or late 60s, but he was still sharp as a tack - commanding presence and surprisingly short- but still fit. When I met him he had driven from Tallahassee to Orlando- which has to be something like a 4 hour drive- to make a 7 am breakfast- our meeting was after that. So hard working- driven guy.
Amazing guy- LOVEs NU and Coach Osborne

He was an accomplished athlete and played QB at Alabama. By the time I met Coach Bowden he was just a figurehead according to my friend Steve Nicholas down in Jupiter- FL- ex FSU receiver- big contributor- nephew in the program (Nick Oleary), good buddies with Jimbo etc

Much different fellas than MR
And of course they both had a history of winning at every stop

For college kids- stuff like this matters- definitely a plus

Last edited:
Love it! So true. I remember working out in my heyday, and free squats were clearly the best for athleticism. Cleans (like you said) SUCK. Plus all the plyos and circuit training, these guys are going to be transformed.

Just don't bag the Prius. You don't have to drive a jacked-up truck with a set of rubber testicles hanging off the back to be able to kick some ass. I love my hybrid. Can't wait to go all electric.
I would never bag on a Prius, driven them as rental cars and they were OK to get around. However, nothing beats the character and feel of my Olds 98 in my sig pic. Eight MPG Olds 455 rocket powering a 5000 lb car. Trunk big enough to get 3 teenagers into the drive in (if there were drive ins any more). Gas tank vents to atmosphere. PVC vents to air cleaner, but the atmosphere when engine not running. No catalytic converter. A/C blows super-cold using R-12 refrigerant. Those were the days.

Rent a Prius on purpose and not when its the ONLY car left to rent and its 5 minutes until the rental place is supposed to close??

Is saving $3.48 on gas more important than being comfortable and having a little juice to get you out of trouble if you need it really worth it? Are you going to save the world by using a couple of gallons less of gas on a 1-2 day rental?

I rent cars all the time-
The way I look at- it's work- time away from the family- It's time to live a little, treat yourself :D
Later in the day is better- lots of free upgrades- if you are midrange customer- nice/accomodating and not afraid to ask.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see we can now add to our list of reasons to have pride in the Frost hiring is that he could beat up a 63 year old, bike riding, Prius driving, soft old man.
Very weird indeed. Riley's age, weightlifting stats and auto preferences have nothing to do with the fact that he was an unsuitable HC at NU.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Very weird indeed. Riley's age, weightlifting stats and auto preferences have nothing to do with the fact that he was an unsuitable HC at NU.

And nothing to do with Frost’s merits!

I worry what might happen to some on here if they simply could not find any more dead horses to beat. Would they be able to make the intial point—the one worth making—at all?

The players perception of the coach- his credibility is important

Osborne is impressive- owns the room
Played in the NFL
CONSISTENT WINNER
Healthy- Athletic

You dont think Frost energy and still great athletic ability isnt impressive to these kids? Then you just dont understand or work with athletes much

Riley
63- looks older
Haggard looking
Unathletic- hunchback
Whimp- by any definition- even from his supporters
Talks like Mr Rodgers
Career ,500 coach

You dont think kids dont value Frost more?
They dont listen closer to him?
They dont relate better to him?
Wow

Kids these days dont say how high when you say jump
They are looking for a reason to believe or not believe you.
They are belleving Frost before Riley and his athleticism- record, mannerisms, voice and whimpiness MATTER

I guarantee those kids didnt respect Mike Riley- none of them were helping him fight for his job

If you ride a bike and own a Prius- or talk like Mr Rodgers and never lifted a weight in your life- no need to take offense- take it personal- doesnt mean you are a bad person. Kids these days respect a Frost WAY more than they do a Riley- partly based on what I said AND IT MATTERS

Last edited:
The players perception of the coach- his credibility is important

Osborne is impressive- owns the room
Played in the NFL
CONSISTENT WINNER
Healthy- Athletic

You dont think Frost energy and still great athletic ability isnt impressive to these kids? Then you just dont understand kids

Riley
63- looks older
Haggard looking
Unathletic- hunchback
Whimp- by any definition- even from his supporters
Talks like Mr Rodgers
Career ,500 coach

You dont think kids dont value Frost more?
They dont listen closer to him?
They dont relate better to him?
Wow

Kids these days dont say how high when you say jump
They are looking for a reason to believe or not believe you.
They are belleving Frost before Riley and his athleticism- record, mannerisms, voice and whimpiness MATTER

I guarantee those kids didnt respect Mike Riley- none of them were helping him fight for his job

If you ride a bike and own a Prius- or talk like Mr Rodgers and never lifted a weight in your life- no need to take offense- take it personal. Kids these days respect a Frost WAY more than they do a Riley- partly based on what I said AND IT MATTERS

hqdefault.jpg

I believe it is time for Boyd to ride off into the sunset and let Duval have complete control of this program. There is a reason the baseball team didn't really want Boyd involved with their strength program. After TO retired, our strength and conditioning program really started to fall off as Boyd was more worried about selling his programs and equipment to make a dollar than he was about the Husker program. People complain about all of the soft tissue injuries the last couple years under MP only to forget that there were some serious injuries because of Boyd's lifting program(Athletic Pubalgia) in the early 2000's. Boyd's programs were cutting edge back in the day and it looks like ZD has taken his program from his and expanded on it. I love Boyd for what he did, but I think that this has passed him by.

I'm really glad to see we can now add to our list of reasons to have pride in the Frost hiring is that he could beat up a 63 year old, bike riding, Prius driving, soft old man.

Lol. This guy has seen it all, along with me.

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT