ADVERTISEMENT

If you thought S&C were out of sorts...

Anyone with eyeballs and experience could tell there was 0 team effort in anything we did. Some young adults will always choose the easy path if you let them. The easy path in this case was a direct correlation to more losses than wins.

A new era has begun. To hell with the old and ready for the new. After all, some famous alum once utter "It isn't about where I've been (fatboy), it's about where I'm going..."

GBR

Forgive my ignorance but wasn’t Epley brought in in 2014 to help “fix” things?

The linked article goes as far as saying that Mark Phillip - the strength coach while RILEY was here - reported directly to Epley and not Riley.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel...cle_6a69187a-3e2e-11e5-bd16-3be3134cb720.html

Eply worked for Riley, Eply had to do what Riley wanted, just as he will do for Frost. Eply wanted Riley to hire this S&C coach, didn't get what he wanted.

I wish we would stop focusing on what the previous staff did or did not do. I want the total focus on the here and now. Water under the bridge is water under the bridge. Time to move on.

Just win baby

Forum warriors will never stop trying to hammer other people with their "you're just a Xxxxx fanboy/apologist! exposed!" stuff

Last edited:
Poor excuse. If he saw something wrong I’m sure he could have gone over Riley’s head.
Well...There is a difference from "wrong" and "not the way I would do it"

I am sure we have all been working and though "Man, I would do it different" but we don't run and go behind our bosses backs. We might want to do that but most don't.

Reactions: timnsun
WOW. Frost was cleaning 300 in college and then cleaned over 300 as a 40 year old man... that should turn some heads in the weight room. I would say the S&C motto for the team at this point should be “don’t let coach out lift or outrun you...”

He speaks like he was oblivious to even what the weight room looked like, let alone what they were doing for training. Wasn't Epley supposed to be in charge of some of this stuff?

Boyds time is done. He’s made it for himself so I never really expected him to show up and run the show. We just need the new guys to excel at their jobs so that we can quit expecting the presence of others to make things better.

Well...There is a difference from "wrong" and "not the way I would do it"

I am sure we have all been working and though "Man, I would do it different" but we don't run and go behind our bosses backs. We might want to do that but most don't.

Not making them lift is wrong no matter who you are. If Boyd let that go only to complain about it later, poor form.

The jammer sucks. Honestly as soon as I heard Epley back hard-selling that thing, I quit watching/listening.
Why does the jammer suck? Maybe it does suck, but why should I take your word over one of the GOATs of S&C?

From what the articles say- I have no "inside" info
MP was hired by Riley- he was Rileys guy

From the article:
Steve Waterfield was over Boyd Epley- so LOTS of layers and Bureaucracy- like Scott Frost has said
From the article: "Epley has the simple title of assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning. But he’s not in the trenches anymore, didn’t look over James Dobson’s shoulder when he came back last October, and won’t do it to Mark Philipp now."

LOTS of times when you are in middle management- those hired below you by those above you are given the freedom to do things their own way. The results are on them- management will make sure they stay within certain boundaries- but their underlings are hired based on the idea those employees have certain skills and abilities- that will be given a chance to work. VERY common- micromanagement is frowned upon.

So it looks like Boyd is either a figurehead or facilities guy now- not hands on
Either by design or maybe that is what he wants? In any event- under Rileys watch strength and conditioning took a huge step back- we looked like Oregon State- which is a no no in the BIG>

In any event Frost knows what he wants
He has been very successful with his approach
Frost has no patience for Bureaucracy and is going to make sure our kids get trained so they can be successful

Forgive my ignorance but wasn’t Epley brought in in 2014 to help “fix” things?

The linked article goes as far as saying that Mark Phillip - the strength coach while RILEY was here - reported directly to Epley and not Riley.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel...cle_6a69187a-3e2e-11e5-bd16-3be3134cb720.html

Fake news.

Husker Power was never embraced. All you have to do is see the squat techniques, workout programs, accountability in the weight room.

People still love to bash the old. Keep on bashing. Legacy Rilebots/anti-Tradition Coalition rearing their heads.

From what the articles say- I have no "inside" info
MP was hired by Riley- he was Rileys guy

From the article:
Steve Waterfield was over Boyd Epley- so LOTS of layers and Bureaucracy- like Scott Frost has said
From the article: "Epley has the simple title of assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning. But he’s not in the trenches anymore, didn’t look over James Dobson’s shoulder when he came back last October, and won’t do it to Mark Philipp now."

LOTS of times when you are in middle management- those hired below you by those above you are given the freedom to do things their own way. The results are on them- management will make sure they stay within certain boundaries- but their underlings are hired based on the idea those employees have certain skills and abilities- that will be given a chance to work. VERY common- micromanagement is frowned upon.

So it looks like Boyd is either a figurehead or facilities guy now- not hands on
Either by design or maybe that is what he wants? In any event- under Rileys watch strength and conditioning took a huge step back- we looked like Oregon State- which is a no no in the BIG>

In any event Frost knows what he wants
He has been very successful with his approach
Frost has no patience for Bureaucracy and is going to make sure our kids get trained so they can be successful

Boyd is old. He's past his prime. Here to impart knowledge and support/guidance. Great person to have around to connect to our treasured past. S&C was were it all started. TO's Huskers won games in the off-season.

Frost embracing this culture is probably the single most important aspect of his tenure. Did you hear how he challenged the UCF team with a set of 5 cleans at 300lbs? That is no joke! Frost also led the team during his days at QB in cleans, arguably the most athletic lift the team will embrace. Guy is a freak of nature physically and ready to implement Husker Power again, with all the associated accountability and demanded results. GBR!

Last edited:
Reactions: davecisar and WHCSC
You certainly don't have to take my word. But maybe the term Athletic Pubalgia rings a bell?

Here's tOSU with their Jammers. Not sure, but I think the evolution of the exercise emphasizes explosion/form over weight? See how tOSU has rubber coil resistance in their Jammers? Interesting approach.

Could be the source of the initial problem (AP outbreak) at Nebraska. Interesting how the exercise/device is still used to this day, developed by Boyd.

But keep bashing, makes a lot of sense to blame Epley for Smilin Mike's utter failure and dismantling of everything good about Husker football/Husker Power.

My 2 favorite Husker Power Club memories...

1. Tom Rathman, GOAT full-back, breaks a ground sled, during his SF 49er days, back at Nebraska for a strength exhibition. 2. Keith "End Zone" Jones running 4.3 electronic 40s. Never seen a better option tailback hit a seam. Just blisteringly fast. Track athlete in pads.

Boyd is old. He's past his prime. Here to impart knowledge and support/guidance. Great person to have around to connect to our treasured past. S&C was were it all started. TO's Huskers won games in the off-season.

Frost embracing this culture is probably the single most important aspect of his tenure. Did you hear how he challenged the UCF team with a set of 5 cleans at 300lbs? That is no joke! Frost also led the team during his days at QB in cleans, arguably the most athletic lift the team will embrace. Guy is a freak of nature physically and ready to implement Husker Power again, with all the associated accountability and demanded results. GBR!

Kids RESPECT hard work, ability and past performance/proven winners
See Frost running the Scout Team with a helmet on
See Frost CLEANING 300 5 TIMES- insane
See Frost working 20 hour days
Really tough lift- many players HATE doing
Have to be strong, athletic, quick- an absolute BEAST

I dont think you would see smilin Mike at 63 doing that
Instead the kids see smilin mike after practice either putting on his little bike helmet and riding his bike back to his rented hotel room - or getting into his manly Prius- to leave practice early to pick up some milk and bread for his wife on his way home from his arguous 6 hour work day.

Or Cav- doing ANYTHING physical- not.

Teams embrace and become the personality of their leadership
See 2017
Then See Scott Frosts teams

who would he have gone to? Eichorst?
I agree with you.

1. I don't know who he would go report things to
2. Just because the other SC coach was doing things different doesn't mean it is "bad"

It would be like Keith Williams reporting to SE that Riley was doing it "wrong"

Kids RESPECT hard work, ability and past performance/proven winners
See Frost running the Scout Team with a helmet on
See Frost CLEANING 300 5 TIMES- insane
See Frost working 20 hour days
Really tough lift- many players HATE doing
Have to be strong, athletic, quick- an absolute BEAST

I dont think you would see smilin Mike at 63 doing that
Instead the kids see smilin mike after practice either putting on his little bike helmet and riding his bike back to his rented hotel room - or getting into his manly Prius- to leave practice early to pick up some milk and bread for his wife on his way home from his arguous 6 hour work day.

Or Cav- doing ANYTHING physical- not.

Teams embrace and become the personality of their leadership
See 2017
Then See Scott Frosts teams

Love it! So true. I remember working out in my heyday, and free squats were clearly the best for athleticism. Cleans (like you said) SUCK. Plus all the plyos and circuit training, these guys are going to be transformed.

Just don't bag the Prius. You don't have to drive a jacked-up truck with a set of rubber testicles hanging off the back to be able to kick some ass. I love my hybrid. Can't wait to go all electric.

Love it! So true. I remember working out in my heyday, and free squats were clearly the best for athleticism. Cleans (like you said) SUCK. Plus all the plyos and circuit training, these guys are going to be transformed.

Just don't bag the Prius. You don't have to drive a jacked-up truck with a set of rubber testicles hanging off the back to be able to kick some ass. I love my hybrid. Can't wait to go all electric.

My wife had one= we got rid of it in less than a year- traded for small SUV
Prius- Not so great for entering the interstate - felt like needed a few more squirrels running the wheel. AND it sat so low to the ground- forget about it on rural roads in the winter. Drove it 3-4 times- hated it

Kids- perception- Prius drivers are: millenial non athlete latte skateboard tree hugger guy- suburban mom- old man car- mike riley

No offense intended- respect your posts- not your car
At least you dont live in a hotel room and ride your bike back and forth with the goofy oversized bike helmet and juice boxes in the front basket- packed by wifey;)

Last edited:

I know that Bell West High School doesn't do any olympic lifts and they have been doing great.

My wife had one= we got rid of it in less than a year- traded for small SUV
Prius- Not so great for entering the interstate - felt like needed a few more squirrels running the wheel. AND it sat so low to the ground- forget about it on rural roads in the winter. Drove it 3-4 times- hated it

Kids- perception- Prius drivers are: millenial non athlete latte skateboard tree hugger guy- suburban mom- old man car- mike riley

No offense intended- respect your posts- not your car

Lol! Awesome response.

I was at the BMO Minerals and Mining Conference last few days, huge "hype" surrounding the EV metals, anyways, long story short, batteries suck in the winter, and clearance issues a problem on rural roads due to configuration in the front. Perfect option for us in Florida climate on asphalt. Technological improvements are going to be needed to get the batteries functioning optimally in the winter.

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT