ADVERTISEMENT

If you thought S&C were out of sorts...

Yes...but there was a new coach and the old coach was gone. So in your brainwashing theory the new coach would now be in charge of the players brains.

Right? Or are you saying that the very first coach a player ever has is the one that has them brainwashed, forever?

How did we get from a coach’s words or actions affecting the attitude of players to brainwashing? I never said that. The choice is not between: 1) a coach has no effect on the players and 2) a coach has complete and total control. That’s absurd.

Also, I’m glad to see you conceded the point because the view you did adopt and try to defend initially was also absurd.

You have been consistent with this, so credit to you.

We just need to get this era behind us and instead of debating what was worse, appreciate what Frost will do. I’m afraid it won’t happen until his first conference championship game appearance... hope it comes soon.
Yeah, I think you are right. Hopefully this year! Or else its time to rip on Frost! ha

Reactions: timnsun
How did we get from a coach’s words or actions affecting the attitude of players to brainwashing? I never said that. The choice is not between: 1) a coach has no effect on the players and 2) a coach has complete and total control. That’s absurd.

Also, I’m glad to see you conceded the point because the view you did adopt and try to defend initially was also absurd.
Hold on...I am emailing my Pee-Wee football coach to see what I should think.

Last edited:
He did not try to torpedo the football program. This story line has been exaggerated so much. What he did was have a goodby meeting with his players and gave them a heads up to the chit show they were about to experience. This is much more accurate than saying he was torpedoing the program. Geesh if an employee at most companies did this they'd get a reward for being a whistle blower. (that was sarcasm by the way)
Telling the players about the AD is one thing. That’s the only thing he could talk about. He had the meeting before Riley was hired. Telling the players he wouldn’t be upset if they transferred is giving them a heads up? I respectfully disagree.

Edit: not that he wouldn’t be upset... he told the players he wouldn’t blame them if they transferred.

Telling the players about the AD is one thing. That’s the only thing he could talk about. He had the meeting before Riley was hired. Telling the players he wouldn’t be upset if they transferred is giving them a heads up? I respectfully disagree.
Sadly, it turns out he was right...those guys should have realized they needed to transfer the second they had to google "Mike Riley" because they never heard of him...heck he probably isn't even the first "Mike Riley" that comes up

I am right, you are wrong, you know it and I know it.

What you are talking about is brainwashing, period.

I’m sorry, you’re not being clear on this issue. Do you not concede the point now?

You see, it’s perfectly consistent with my position to hold that Bo’s words and actions may have (in part) caused a player to give less effort, be insubordinate, or transfer.

It’s not compatible with yours because you have to invoke false dichotomies and argue in extremes to make your point.

So who is right and who wrong?

Sadly, it turns out he was right...those guys should have realized they needed to transfer the second they had to google "Mike Riley" because they never heard of him...heck he probably isn't even the first "Mike Riley" that comes up
There’s a Mike Riley (Reilly? Don’t really know...) who plays in the NHL. Hear his name often on the radio as he was with the Wild until last week.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I’m sorry, you’re being really dense on this issue. Do you not concede the point now?

You see, it’s perfectly consistent with my position to hold that Bo’s words and actions may have (in part) caused a player to give less effort, be insubordinate, or transfer.

It’s not compatible with yours because you have to invoke false dichotomies and argue in extremes to make your point.

It is me, I am right.

See...you think that a kid that played under Bo and was supposed to do 8 reps on bench that day got to rep 7 and thought "Screw this...Bo said the AD is a pussy" and racked the weight.

I am saying that guys are going to do what they do. They don't care that a coach that is no longer there called the AD a pussy.

I also don't think the current players will try super hard for Frost because Riley left in a nice normal way.

I’m sorry, you’re not being clear on this issue. Do you not concede the point now?

Just say

“Bo bad. But Riley bad too.”

to speed this toward the inevitable conclusion.

It’ll cut out like 4 pages.

Just say

“Bo bad. But Riley bad too.

to speed this toward the inevitable conclusion.

It’ll cut out like 4 pages.
Amen!

Look, they both sucked...some of the reasons were different some are the same. Stop treating these guys on the team as some fragile ass 12 year old girls that are going through their "special time"

It is me, I am right.

See...you think that a kid that played under Bo and was supposed to do 8 reps on bench that day got to rep 7 and thought "Screw this...Bo said the AD is a pussy" and racked the weight.

I am saying that guys are going to do what they do. They don't care that a coach that is no longer there called the AD a pussy.

I also don't think the current players will try super hard for Frost because Riley left in a nice normal way.

Ok John, I’m done. I don’t have the time to continue this if you’re going to be so limited in your imagination. It’s not worth it.

Are you really saying Bo didn't give his very best? So what if he warned the players of what was ahead of them. He was right. Now does that mean we should appreciate him? No.....and I don't. But these comparisons continue to rear their heads whenever someone tries to defend Riley's actions. Of course Riley's actions are going to come up as he is the latest and most infamous coach to have put us in this chit show. Asking everyone to move on at this point and forgive him while still acting like Bo tried to sabotage our program is a one sided view.

I don't think taking a $400,000 job for $50,000 just to stick it to Nebraska is leaving with class.

No, I’m not saying Bo didn’t give it his best. I think they both gave it their best and that wasn’t good enough. So both deserved to be fired. But Bo deserved additional criticism because he actively tried to drive the players against the fans and administration. (Remember how ‘fair weather’ and spineless we were?)

I care about what he did on the way out because it was petty and no good could come from it. You talk as if he had the players’ best interests in mind when he said those things. I don’t think that. I think he was blowing off steam (as he did often) and making excuses for his failures as a coach.

You’re right about the Riley comparisons but that’s only half the story. He also keeps coming up because some (eg dave) appear to be incapable of making a valid point about how great it is to have Frost without picking fights with ghosts. Who here actually thinks Riley should still be our coach?

I am not advocating for forgiveness because I don’t think there is anything to forgive in the case of Riley—he committed no moral offense.

Finally, I can see that you apparently think he did because he accepted less money to coach at OSU. My view is that once he was fired by Nebraska he no longer owed it to the university to take the best deal in our favor. I don’t think taking less money was a malicious act. If it shows his allegiances are still more with OSU, so be it. I’d find it hard to disagree with that.

He did not try to torpedo the football program. This story line has been exaggerated so much. What he did was have a goodby meeting with his players and gave them a heads up to the chit show they were about to experience. This is much more accurate than saying he was torpedoing the program. Geesh if an employee at most companies did this they'd get a reward for being a whistle blower. (that was sarcasm by the way)
You left out the part where he said he was trying to get fired for 2 years. What an amazing leader. Keep defending him though

Are you really saying Bo didn't give his very best? So what if he warned the players of what was ahead of them. He was right. Now does that mean we should appreciate him? No.....and I don't. But these comparisons continue to rear their heads whenever someone tries to defend Riley's actions. Of course Riley's actions are going to come up as he is the latest and most infamous coach to have put us in this chit show. Asking everyone to move on at this point and forgive him while still acting like Bo tried to sabotage our program is a one sided view.

I don't think taking a $400,000 job for $50,000 just to stick it to Nebraska is leaving with class.

It's funny that you bring that up. Didn't your boy take a job with FCS (or whatever the hell it is now) Youngstown State for peanuts instead of going for a D1 job just to stick it to NU? Or was Bo just that bad of a coach that no D1 teams wanted him?

It's funny that you bring that up. Didn't your boy take a job with FCS (or whatever the hell it is now) Youngstown State for peanuts instead of going for a D1 job just to stick it to NU? Or was Bo just that bad of a coach that no D1 teams wanted him?
The hypocrisy is staggering. The bloners were proud of him when he did it, too!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT