ADVERTISEMENT

Is there enough NIL for all Husker sports?

TruHusker

Head Coach
Sep 21, 2001
Obviously, this is a football board with occasional threads about VB, BB and wrestling among others.

Currently, VB is a National power, FB and BB (men's and women's) are just OK, wrestling seems to on the upswing. Guess you could throw in track, bowling, rifle and the rest.

My question(s) is, if all major sports were suddenly at the top and going for the top athletes in their sports, would there be enough NIL money to go around and what would that number be?

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Obviously, this is a football board with occasional threads about VB, BB and wrestling among others.

Currently, VB is a National power, FB and BB (men's and women's) are just OK, wrestling seems to on the upswing. Guess you could throw in track, bowling, rifle and the rest.

My question(s) is, if all major sports were suddenly at the top and going for the top athletes in their sports, would there be enough NIL money to go around and what would that number be?
When I donated yesterday you get the option to donate to any sport you want.

When I read your post I get the impression that you consider NIL as a single pot to divvy out of sourced by the university.

With football and basketball it makes sense. Although there will almost certainly be outside $ as well. With other sports if there is a marketable player their NIL options are most likely to come from outside the university as in the case of Livvy Dunne. I think she's making $2M a year as a hot gymnast for LSU.

So yeah I think there is plenty. It's about the market and desirability.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Also their social media following is a significant factor.

If you can drop an ad to 100,000 followers that's pretty huge.

Reactions: dinglefritz
When I read your post I get the impression that you consider NIL as a single pot to divvy out of sourced by the university.

With football and basketball it makes sense. Although there will almost certainly be outside $ as well. With other sports if there is a marketable player their NIL options are most likely to come from outside the university as in the case of Livvy Dunne. I think she's making $2M a year as a hot gymnast for LSU.

So yeah I think there is plenty. It's about the market and desirability.
The money comes from individuals/corporations, not the school. My question is if a QB is a couple mill, what would a couple if 5* BB players for both men's and women's and 3 or 4 wrestlers, on top on football and VB currently.

Can the state support all sports at a high financial level? I don't know.

The money comes from individuals/corporations, not the school. My question is if a QB is a couple mill, what would a couple if 5* BB players for both men's and women's and 3 or 4 wrestlers, on top on football and VB currently.

Very good points. Nil needs to be funded each year. It's a new cost of doing business.

Problem is if team starts winning, revenue increases through sales to NU. None of that can go to nil. So corporations and average Joe's have to refund it every year with the only roi is feeling better about being a fan to the average Joe's.

Will teams within the university be disgruntled.? Probably.

Look at what we're hearing about cu. Nil fund doesn't have what they've promised perhaps

We didn’t get that freshman volleyball class by sending them flowers. It’s one of the things a poster was bitching about this past year.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I'm thinking about nil for raolia if he as good as he's hyped and produces w's...I think the first real pass happy qb since humm and faragamo deserves it

Rumor is there’s 2-3 million dangling. No idea if there’s any truth to that.
I seen 3 million posted alot..I don't think joe montana ever made that...but I'm ok with it if it produces w's...hopefully it comes from someone like buffet, where it seems like lunch money

I seen 3 million posted alot..I don't think joe montana ever made that...but I'm ok with it if it produces w's...hopefully it comes from someone like buffet, where it seems like lunch money
joes highest salary was 4 mil from kc. buffett would never pay for a football player. also.. def not the first passing nu qb since humm and ferragamo lol...

Can’t wait for all the people that donated $100 to bitch when riola throws a pick or loses a game that he’s not producing. Like somehow he should be a better player if we pay him more.

If NIL collectives are spending money on anything other the mens FB and BB, they are doing it wrong.

Can’t wait for all the people that donated $100 to bitch when riola throws a pick or loses a game that he’s not producing. Like somehow he should be a better player if we pay him more.
It's not that he is better if we pay him more, but just like the real world if he's paid more than more is expected of him, and if he doesn't deliver then he'll face criticism. What happens in the real world if you are paid a ton and don't meet your objectives? That's what will happen here. I didn't want it this way, it's ruined college sports, but it seems like everyone else did so here we are.

It's not that he is better if we pay him more, but just like the real world if he's paid more than more is expected of him, and if he doesn't deliver then he'll face criticism. What happens in the real world if you are paid a ton and don't meet your objectives? That's what will happen here. I didn't want it this way, it's ruined college sports, but it seems like everyone else did so here we are.
You’re not wrong.

The problem with this is that we as fans aren’t his direct supervisor or involved in setting what his goals are in any way. Being the number 1 qb coming out of high school does not automatically make him the savior of the program. But all of the $20/hr fast food workers that donated $100 one time will struggle to accept that. If he gets a big NIL deal to play here, his expectations and ultimately his level of play are no different than they would have been if there was still no NIL at all. More money doesn’t guarantee a better player. And with the state of Nebraska football and the expectations Dylan will have, I would argue it will be nearly impossible for him to meet expectations and appease the people swept up in this whole thing.

Reactions: scarletred

Why the hell would anyone donate for a wrestler?
This isn’t Ioway!

Also their social media following is a significant factor.

If you can drop an ad to 100,000 followers that's pretty huge.
I have a friend whose granddaughter is a star on one of the Husker ladies’ teams. I have no idea what she gets if anything. She is very attractive, which is plus but I don’t know anything about the most important factor -- social media presence. A football or bb star probably can get a big bag based mostly on skill but doubt that it true for any other athlete.

Last edited:
It all needs to go to football.
I wouldn’t debate that for unrestricted, anonymous donations like you or I might make, but I am looking for payback if it’s for corporate presence and marketing. I’ll perhaps support a beautiful Husker gymnast with big social following over a shy, ugly linebacker for my car dealership😀

• Haha
Reactions: huskerfan66
The problem with this is that we as fans aren’t his direct supervisor or involved in setting what his goals are in any way. Being the number 1 qb coming out of high school does not automatically make him the savior of the program. But all of the $20/hr fast food workers that donated $100 one time will struggle to accept that. If he gets a big NIL deal to play here, his expectations and ultimately his level of play are no different than they would have been if there was still no NIL at all. More money doesn’t guarantee a better player. And with the state of Nebraska football and the expectations Dylan will have, I would argue it will be nearly impossible for him to meet expectations and appease the people swept up in this whole thing.

Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

What a cry session based on speculation you just had there
More money for NIL definitely reduces risk.

People said Quinn Ewers was overpaid out of HS and when he transferred. Think UT fans will say “money well spent” now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT