ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg leading canidate

Concerned? More like bored!
The Illini message boards are terrible right now because they are the worst team in college basketball.

I am jealous that NU is going to get Fred. It will be fun times for Husker Bball fans
Sure the Illini are the only team Iowa has beaten in a month, but c'mon - they're not worse than Tulane.

Just a little farther down below that post of mine someone else asked me that. I responded back with “Yes I do”. I’m thinking I screwed up how I said that original post. I’m fine with this hire and hopenit happens. He may be our best and only real option. ;)

Anywhere you live sucks. ;)
I was born and raised in Des Moines and worked 15 years for a Omaha company. The people in both states are great people and unless their wearing Huskers or Hawkeyes gear you can’t tell the difference. My comment about both states “Suck” is weather related. I now live in the Ozark mountains where we got about 2 to 4 inches of snow this winter. If you knew me personally you probably would like me but because I’m on a Nebraska message board and from Iowa... I suck. That’s what sucks!!!

Last edited:
This morning Benning interviewed someone from a Des Moines newspaper. Paraphrasing, the guy said Hoiberg had a knack for finding guys "down to their last strike" academically or legally, and saying "here's your one shot, don't screw it up." Guy thought Hoiberg could be successful here with a team of good-recruiting assistants. Would be very interesting if he wants to reunite with Doc.

This morning Benning interviewed someone from a Des Moines newspaper. Paraphrasing, the guy said Hoiberg had a knack for finding guys "down to their last strike" academically or legally, and saying "here's your one shot, don't screw it up." Guy thought Hoiberg could be successful here with a team of good-recruiting assistants. Would be very interesting if he wants to reunite with Doc.

I don't think Doc is going to take a demotion and pay cut to be an assistant at a school that fired him. He likes being a head coach.

And they love him down at Southern Miss. He cleaned up a huge mess down there and finished near the top of the conference this year.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
No NBA team is offering him a head coaching gig at the moment so he's not choosing between college and the NBA. If he wants to be a head coach this season, it's down to NU or another college team.

Also, the $5M/yr he's still making from the Bulls is fully guaranteed if I understand correctly. So I believe he gets that money on top of whatever NU or someone else pays him.

All of that said, I do think he wants another crack at the NBA at some point. So the NBA will remain a threat to his longevity at NU or another school. But let's say we get the same four years he gave ISU. I'll gladly take that if he's able to move the program forward, which seems like a solid bet.
He was at ISU 5 years. First year we had four scholarship players left from McDermott’s regime....thanks to Creighton for hiring Greg away. Fred kept and picked up some recruits and transfers and was 15-15 that first year. We had 5 or 6 games (one at NU) that year that were last possession losses where we just ran out of gas.

The following year, Fred was 11-7 in league, IIRC, punished UConn in the 8/9 seed game, and was tied w national champ Kentucky w 11 minutes to go in the second round game. Untimely tournament injuries to Chris Babb the following year and to Georges Niang in year 4 cost us reasonable shots at the Final Four. He won the Big 12 Tournament twice.

Zero doubt he’d do similar at NU. He’s a competitor. Both he and Tim Floyd had a crappy hands dealt at the Bulls. Doubt they hire another Cyclone or college coach.

I’m liking this guy FormerlyCyberCy, you don’t come here swinging barbs at Nebraska, you just bring good sense with your comments. Well done!
I’ve lived in Nebraska for 40 years since college. I’ve always got along w NU fans. They’re knowledgeable and reasonable.

Reactions: oldj
He was at ISU 5 years. First year we had four scholarship players left from McDermott’s regime....thanks to Creighton for hiring Greg away. Fred kept and picked up some recruits and transfers and was 15-15 that first year. We had 5 or 6 games (one at NU) that year that were last possession losses where we just ran out of gas.

The following year, Fred was 11-7 in league, IIRC, punished UConn in the 8/9 seed game, and was tied w national champ Kentucky w 11 minutes to go in the second round game. Untimely tournament injuries to Chris Babb the following year and to Georges Niang in year 4 cost us reasonable shots at the Final Four. He won the Big 12 Tournament twice.

Zero doubt he’d do similar at NU. He’s a competitor. Both he and Tim Floyd had a crappy hands dealt at the Bulls. Doubt they hire another Cyclone or college coach.

5 years indeed. My mistake. Thanks for the correction and the insights you've shared, CyberCy. You seem like a very reasonable and knowledgeable fan yourself.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
I was born and raised in Des Moines and worked 15 years for a Omaha company. The people in both states are great people and unless their wearing Huskers or Hawkeyes gear you can’t tell the difference. My comment about both states “Suck” is weather related. I now live in the Ozark mountains where we got about 2 to 4 inches of snow this winter. If you knew me personally you probably would like me but because I’m on a Nebraska message board and from Iowa... I suck. That’s what sucks!!!

As long as your reasonable most of these guys we'll be reasonable also. I will still flip you shit and talk smack. It's all in good fun.

That would suck.

My best friend is a huge Cyclone fan! Knows Hoiberg and all the old and current coaches. We don’t let being rival fans get in the way of our friendship.

One of my good friends is an Iowa fan. Even though the badgers have owned us, I still talk alot of shit. He does too. We laugh at each other.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
Got lots of NU fan friends. It takes a true fan to hang in with NU basketball just like Cyclone football. Looks like both are on the rise.
I've always been a closet ISU booster. I've rooted for them just about every game except when they're playing the Huskers. Your fan base is very very similar to NUs. I've always had a great time and been treated well at Ames when attending Husker games there and they didn't act like dumbshits when they beat us there. I think it's the number of ag related alums and students there.

I hate Io_a, it's fans, it's citizens, it's many miles of rivers, creeks & tributaries. Io_a sucks, Colonrado blows and we're stuck in the middle with NU.

I've always been a closet ISU booster. I've rooted for them just about every game except when they're playing the Huskers. Your fan base is very very similar to NUs. I've always had a great time and been treated well at Ames when attending Husker games there and they didn't act like dumbshits when they beat us there. I think it's the number of ag related alums and students there.
Agreed. Isu is who I rooted for every weekend besides NU and OU.

Nebraska is the last place on the planet where someone can be successful at basketball. What they really need is some freaking consistency. Hire a good coach and then give them about 20 years to build the program. The revolving door approach hasn't worked. It didn't work in football, either. It takes 3-4 years for a coach to get their system in place, if you're lucky. What players want to go to a school when they know the head coach won't be around by time they graduate?

Riley has had Nebraska competitive in an extremely tough conference. I think it is a mistake to again drop the coach and hope the next guy (what are we on, Danny Nee replacement #5 now?) will be the magic bullet. Unless Nebraska high schools start cranking out high school All-Americans the situation isn't going to improve.

Is Lincoln worse than Spokane, Washington? 4.5 hours from Seattle as the closest large city, which isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed (WA is 23rd out of states producing NBA talent). City of 215K, University has all of 7500 students, arena seats 6K. They had 0 postseason (NIT or NCAA appearances) in their first 30 years, they are now a 1 seed and a premier program. It started with 1 coach who changed the perception with far fewer resources than NU. Even take Creighton, no reason Nebraska basketball can't reach their level. Unless you reach one of 10-15 programs or so, or are an outlier who just sticks somewhere something like 80+% of the NCAA programs turn over every 5 years at a minimum.

Is Lincoln worse than Spokane, Washington? 4.5 hours from Seattle as the closest large city, which isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed (WA is 23rd out of states producing NBA talent). City of 215K, University has all of 7500 students, arena seats 6K. They had 0 postseason (NIT or NCAA appearances) in their first 30 years, they are now a 1 seed and a premier program. It started with 1 coach who changed the perception with far fewer resources than NU. Even take Creighton, no reason Nebraska basketball can't reach their level. Unless you reach one of 10-15 programs or so, or are an outlier who just sticks somewhere something like 80+% of the NCAA programs turn over every 5 years at a minimum.

As someone who went to UNL and lived in Spokanistan for a year for work in 2012 I can offer some insight. The fact that Mark Few can turn Gonzaga into a perennial power is proof that it can be done anywhere. Spokane is extremely boring and there is virtually zero campus life; makes UNL look like LSU as a party school in comparison. The weather in eastern WA can also be as crappy or worse in winter. The right coach can make it work anywhere, look at T-Tech, Lubbock is an absolute dump of a town and just as remote as Spokane.

I assume Hoiberg will be in Des Moines tomorrow to watch his son/MSU play. I wonder if the media will ask him about the rumors.

He hasn't come out and denied anything yet, so that's good.

A poster on Husker Board said Nebraska's golf coach, who Moos hired last summer, was Hoiberg's college roommate. If that's legit, Moos is playing chess and the rest of us checkers. :cool:

It's true, Hoiberg and Hankins were roommates at Iowa State. He was probably the intermediary this time like Davison was with Frost.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT