ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg leading canidate

Hope people are wrong about him not liking recruiting if he is the choice..

Nobody likes recruiting.

Here's what he said a few weeks ago when asked about his comments:

“Some of the things I liked about recruiting were building relationships with the kid and building relationships with the family,” Hoiberg said. “I liked that a lot. I felt like I was pretty good at it. We had some really high-level players here as transfers and also as four-year guys.

“It’s the most important thing you do as a college coach, I get that. If it is a college opportunity, I’ll go 100 percent at it and do the best job I can to build the program.

"It is a grind. You can talk to any college coach, and they’ll tell you the same thing. And if they tell you something different, they’re lying to you.”

I would be excited if he becomes the next HC. I'm a little surprised his name isn't associated with UCLA more especially if true he doesn't like to recruit. The bruins would seem to be a no brainier lots of local talent a program with a rich history. Seems like an easy place to recruit to fir a good head coach. Dunno maybe he just like the Midwest.

I would be excited if he becomes the next HC. I'm a little surprised his name isn't associated with UCLA more especially if true he doesn't like to recruit. The bruins would seem to be a no brainier lots of local talent a program with a rich history. Seems like an easy place to recruit to fir a good head coach. Dunno maybe he just like the Midwest.

UCLA just fired a coach that made it to 3 Sweet Sixteens in 4 years, and won 31 games 2 years ago.

Before that, they fired a coach that made it to 2 Final Fours and won 4 conference championships.

Those results would get you a statue at Nebraska.

UCLA also plays their games late at night after most of the country has gone to bed, and the only people watching are those that want to hear what crazy things Bill Walton will say next.

Hoiberg today would be an ever bigger get today than Self would have been in 2000, with him coming from Tulsa at that time.

I agree it would be an even bigger hire. But Self was coming off an Elite 8 run at the time, he was the hottest up-and-coming coach out there.

Reactions: newAD
Born in Lincoln, both parents NU grads, grandfather was NU basketball coach, lots of relatives still in the state. Apologies if you already knew that.

He also has a niece that works as a student manager in the basketball office. It has to be pretty awkward for her today at work.

Nobody likes recruiting.

Here's what he said a few weeks ago when asked about his comments:

“Some of the things I liked about recruiting were building relationships with the kid and building relationships with the family,” Hoiberg said. “I liked that a lot. I felt like I was pretty good at it. We had some really high-level players here as transfers and also as four-year guys.

“It’s the most important thing you do as a college coach, I get that. If it is a college opportunity, I’ll go 100 percent at it and do the best job I can to build the program.

"It is a grind. You can talk to any college coach, and they’ll tell you the same thing. And if they tell you something different, they’re lying to you.”
Calipari hates recruiting. He's the best there is

My only bit of concern about any of this being true, is if you can get Fred Hoiberg, decline the NIT bid, and fire Miles and get it over with.

I'm sure it's possible that this is going on behind the scenes right now, but that makes me guess Moos had not made up his mind until recently. Had he made it up weeks ago, he could potentially be hired now.

I agree it would be an even bigger hire. But Self was coming off an Elite 8 run at the time, he was the hottest up-and-coming coach out there.

I give credit where credit is due, Dollar Bill Byrne sure tried to make a quality hire back then.

I'm going to choose to believe that, if in fact Moos has Hoiberg in the bag, then Hoiberg and Moos are both classy guys that respect Miles and the men on the team and want them to finish their season. It's like Frost choosing to stay with UCF through the bowl, not many choose to do the right thing - but some do. Moos seems to be one of those that do.

My only bit of concern about any of this being true, is if you can get Fred Hoiberg, decline the NIT bid, and fire Miles and get it over with.

I'm sure it's possible that this is going on behind the scenes right now, but that makes me guess Moos had not made up his mind until recently. Had he made it up weeks ago, he could potentially be hired now.

My understanding has been that Moos would not be announcing anything until the season is over which would seem to be exactly what is happening. My guess is someone is already hired and that the announcement will happen shortly after Nebraska plays their last game and Miles is fired.

Reactions: EATAFAT1

Hate to waste my 30,000 post on this, but why would Moos turn down the NIT ? Because it’s not ethical turning down a tournament regardless if it isn’t the NCAA just so he can fire the Head Coach..

He said when the season ends his evaluation will come to a close.. The season isn’t over now they have been invited and when Nebraska losses he will then move forward on letting Miles go..

This feels like Deja Vu of Bill Self in 2000 all over again. He'll ultimately turn us down, and we'll end up scrambling to hire another mid-major guy.

When I was a teenager my sister got me the book "How To Pick Up Women" as a gag gift. Little did she know I didn't treat it as a gag and devoured it cover to cover. Lots of great tips, but what the author hammered on over and over and over is "set your sights high" and "you can't make the sales if you don't make the calls."

Yes, this does remind me of Self, but if we get turned down, we get turned down, yet I hope Moos is setting his sights high and making the calls.

Hate to waste my 30,000 post on this, but why would Moos turn down the NIT ? Because it’s not ethical turning down a tournament regardless if it isn’t the NCAA just so he can fire the Head Coach..

He said when the season ends his evaluation will come to a close.. The season isn’t over now they have been invited and when Nebraska losses he will then move forward on letting Miles go..
Well.....maybe not a rainbows and unicorns post, but certainly solid enough for #30K. Congrats.

Reactions: scarletred

What advantage does that gain? The players have the right to determine when their season ends, not the administration. Let them play it out and if they earn some glory and exposure, good for them and the university. Hiring now doesn’t fit what Moos has always maintained- end of the season. He would get crushed for going back on his word.

Reactions: roadwarrier6171

The status of this team's roster is reason enough to just end the season. I don't think it is fair to ask Palmer to risk his future when he has to play all 40 minutes for the team to have a chance. That guy played his ass off in the conference tournament. His future is more important.

What advantage does that gain? The players have the right to determine when their season ends, not the administration. Let them play it out and if they earn some glory and exposure, good for them and the university. Hiring now doesn’t fit what Moos has always maintained- end of the season. He would get crushed for going back on his word.

If they want to play, fine. I hope they were asked. Especially Palmer.

The status of this team's roster is reason enough to just end the season. I don't think it is fair to ask Palmer to risk his future when he has to play all 40 minutes for the team to have a chance. That guy played his ass off in the conference tournament. His future is more important.

Something tells me that the players don’t feel the same way you do about it..

My understanding has been that Moos would not be announcing anything until the season is over which would seem to be exactly what is happening. My guess is someone is already hired and that the announcement will happen shortly after Nebraska plays their last game and Miles is fired.

As I've said in other posts. The season is over.

They earned the right to continue and I can't imagine Palmer or anyone left on the roster declining to play because they are worried about a possible injury.

Perhaps Moos is hoping Miles will take another job before he has to fire him?

He'd be a good fit at Washington State or Cal, the Pac-12 is much easier than the Big Ten.

Perhaps Moos is hoping Miles will take another job before he has to fire him?

He'd be a good fit at Washington State or Cal, the Pac-12 is much easier than the Big Ten.

Somehow I just don't see Miles being a great fit for Cal.

b3320e60.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT