ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg leading canidate

The administration finally got serious about being a legitimate and consistent contender in men's basketball. Finally. Thumbs up to Ronnie, Hank and Bill.

Will be fun to see Hoiberg vs McDermott competing for Omaha kids!

It has probably already been mentioned but has anyone entertained the possibility that he probably is OUR leading candidate and yet Hoiberg has absolutely no intention of taking the Nebraska job.

Nobody likes recruiting.

Here's what he said a few weeks ago when asked about his comments:

“Some of the things I liked about recruiting were building relationships with the kid and building relationships with the family,” Hoiberg said. “I liked that a lot. I felt like I was pretty good at it. We had some really high-level players here as transfers and also as four-year guys.

“It’s the most important thing you do as a college coach, I get that. If it is a college opportunity, I’ll go 100 percent at it and do the best job I can to build the program.

"It is a grind. You can talk to any college coach, and they’ll tell you the same thing. And if they tell you something different, they’re lying to you.”

Seth Davis said pretty much the same thing about coaches not liking to recruit. He was talking about how he thinks Luke Walton would be a good fit at UCLA. Whoever Seth was talking to said he had heard that Walton didn't want to have to recruit kids. That is when Seth said, "Nobody likes to recruit".

It has probably already been mentioned but has anyone entertained the possibility that he probably is OUR leading candidate and yet Hoiberg has absolutely no intention of taking the Nebraska job.

Ohh yea, this is definitely not a done deal and we won’t know much till Nebraska exits the NIT..

Reactions: jlb321

Yes, I've said that this feels like Bill Self in 2000 all over again. It's possible that the source is Hoiberg's agent leaking this so that he might get a better offer from someone else.

But if the source is someone connected to our athletic department, I doubt they would leak it to the media unless they feel like there's a good chance he will accept the job. Unless Miles himself is the source and is trying to sabotage Bill Moos on the way out.

Reactions: jlb321
Ohh yea, this is definitely not a done deal and we won’t know much till Nebraska exits the NIT..

There seems to be a fair amount of optimism when there is a some probability that the only interest that exists is on our part.

I have no doubt that we are indeed targeting Hoiberg just not sure the interest is mutual

There seems to be a fair amount of optimism when there is a some probability that the only interest that exists is on our part.

I have no doubt that we are indeed targeting Hoiberg just not sure the interest is mutual

I think we'd have moved on if Hoiberg wasn't showing serious interest.

Reactions: husker2612

Of course he isn’t going to come out and affirm that he will be the next Coach or that he is even considering being the Nebraska Coach... Just have to have faith that Moos has been in touch with him and his agent..

I think we'd have moved on if Hoiberg wasn't showing serious interest.

I don’t think we are very far into this process. Miles hasn’t been fired and we haven’t even started tracking flights yet.

I know moos supposedly missed the big ten tourney to watch his kid - anyone know where Hoiberg was during this time

I don’t think we are very far into this process. Miles hasn’t been fired and we haven’t even started tracking flights yet.

I know moos supposedly missed the big ten tourney to watch his kid - anyone know where Hoiberg was during this time

Hoiberg was at the Big Ten tourney watching his kid.

It's possibly he met with Moos on Tuesday or Wednesday in Chicago when Moos was there. Journal-Star says contact has been made and discussions are advanced:

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...ffa3c83c0a.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

I'm hearing Jim Tressel has head coach, Scott Frost as associate head coach, and Will Muschamp as assistant coach.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Have to imagine there is some mutual interest if it is getting "leaked" at this level in the media. Hoiberg would be huge get for us.
My concern with him is how long does he stay. I don't see him being a long term type of guy.

Where are all the guys that were saying we were gonna end up with another small potato no name mid major coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: blackshirts4life339
Where are all the guys saying we were gonna end up with another small potatoe no name mid major coach?
Well, I hope Nebraska can get him, but I am one who will believe it when he’s actually introduced as the new head coach. Good luck in these matters of men’s basketball usually doesn’t go Nebraska’s way. Hopefully that will change.

If that's the case it needs to read "Nebraska looking to replace Miles with Brad Stevens"

Well, I hope Nebraska can get him, but I am one who will believe it when he’s actually introduced as the new head coach. Good luck in these matters of men’s basketball usually doesn’t go Nebraska’s way. Hopefully that will change.
As far as I know they've reached a deal in principle. At this point the discussion is about Assistant pool and stuff like that.

He’s a big name. Wasn’t good in the NBA... hope this isn’t a Chip Kelly situation.

Are you saying Chip was a bad hire at UCLA? He's only been there one year, and had the same conference record Frost did here in Year 1. He will make UCLA Football relevant when he gets his players and system in place, and I think Hoiberg would do the same for Nebraska Basketball.

Nick Saban wasn't good in the NFL, and had a tough first year at Alabama. Seems to have worked out well for them in the end.

Last edited:
Are you saying Chip was a bad hire at UCLA? He's only been there one year, and had the same conference record Frost did here in Year 1. He will make UCLA Football relevant when he gets his players and system in place, and I think Hoiberg would do the same for Nebraska Basketball.

Nick Saban wasn't good in the NFL. Seems to have worked out well for Alabama.
Here in UCLA country the "fans" are already dusting off their torches and pitchforks following Kelly's #44 Rivals recruiting ranking with only 3, 4-stars.

A) this would be awesome!

B) doesn’t Hoiberg have a major heart condition?

He did have a heart aneurysm a long time ago, he's had some surgeries and wears a pacemaker. I don't think it's anything to worry too much about.

Where are all the guys saying we were gonna end up with another small potatoe no name mid major coach?
I ll admit, I wasn't sure IF NU would be willing to open the check book. Granted, nothing is a done deal. I m assuming itsi going to take a few Benjamin's. What I am on record saying is I didn't think we would be hiring a P5 coach. This would be better

If Hoiberg does become your next coach (and I would be surprised if he is), be prepared for the type of player he will bring in. He is heavy on transfers...and they usually have criminal or academic problems.

Reactions: mhosek
If Hoiberg does become your next coach (and I would be surprised if he is), be prepared for the type of player he will bring in. He is heavy on transfers...and they usually have criminal or academic problems.

Tim Miles was heavy on transfers. None of them had criminal or academic problems.

Was that really a pattern with Hoiberg, or are you just a whiny little trolling asshat with way too much time on his hands?

Of course he isn’t going to come out and affirm that he will be the next Coach or that he is even considering being the Nebraska Coach... Just have to have faith that Moos has been in touch with him and his agent..

Yep, He or his agent isn't going to say anything until Miles is released.

ADVERTISEMENT