ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg leading canidate

Is anyone halfway wanting Butler to win, just so we can move on from this madness?

I mean, Im going to cheer for Neb (and for the Jays tonight), dont get me wrong, but wont be "sad" if they lose.

I mean...the NIT is the Big East Tourney II...so in a perfect world I would love to see a NIT final four of all Big East teams...

Is anyone halfway wanting Butler to win, just so we can move on from this madness?

I mean, Im going to cheer for Neb (and for the Jays tonight), dont get me wrong, but wont be "sad" if they lose.

Since we have a home game it would be great to win last game at home for Timmy...If we lose it will finally be nice to get on with a new exciting chapter of Nebraketball..

I hope Hoiberg enjoys his four years in Lincoln. Might want to rent at first.
Im guessing he gets 7 years. Tim got 7, Scott is starting with 7 (will be here WAY longer than that). Seems to be a precedent.

My guess is around $23 mil over 7 years, plus incentives for B1G conference champs, NCAA bids, NCAA wins, Sweet 16, etc.

Roughly $3.25M per year gets him in the top 10 or so and top 4-5 in conf.

Miles is at $2.25M per year.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-coaches-college-basketball/

Im guessing he gets 7 years. Tim got 7, Scott is starting with 7 (will be here WAY longer than that). Seems to be a precedent.

My guess is around $23 mil over 7 years, plus incentives for B1G conference champs, NCAA bids, NCAA wins, Sweet 16, etc.

Roughly $3.25M per year gets him in the top 10 or so and top 4-5 in conf.

Miles is at $2.25M per year.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-coaches-college-basketball/
I read another article by this site. Hoiberg is making $5 M @ Chicago. Why would he be interested @ $3.25 M? Is he tired of the NBA? Likes the college atmosphere more?

We'll see. Popcorn time

Spoken like a true crayton fan

Why? Because Nebraska is oh-so-quick to pull the trigger on basketball coaches?

Nebraska is the last place on the planet where someone can be successful at basketball. What they really need is some freaking consistency. Hire a good coach and then give them about 20 years to build the program. The revolving door approach hasn't worked. It didn't work in football, either. It takes 3-4 years for a coach to get their system in place, if you're lucky. What players want to go to a school when they know the head coach won't be around by time they graduate?

Riley has had Nebraska competitive in an extremely tough conference. I think it is a mistake to again drop the coach and hope the next guy (what are we on, Danny Nee replacement #5 now?) will be the magic bullet. Unless Nebraska high schools start cranking out high school All-Americans the situation isn't going to improve.

Why? Because Nebraska is oh-so-quick to pull the trigger on basketball coaches?
I think he’s implying that he’ll jump back to the NBA. I thought he’d be at ISU until retirement, so I won’t make any bets on longevity. I will bet he puts NU on the basketball map. He’s proven he can turn a program around quickly.

Nebraska is the last place on the planet where someone can be successful at basketball. What they really need is some freaking consistency. Hire a good coach and then give them about 20 years to build the program. The revolving door approach hasn't worked. It didn't work in football, either. It takes 3-4 years for a coach to get their system in place, if you're lucky. What players want to go to a school when they know the head coach won't be around by time they graduate?

Riley has had Nebraska competitive in an extremely tough conference. I think it is a mistake to again drop the coach and hope the next guy (what are we on, Danny Nee replacement #5 now?) will be the magic bullet. Unless Nebraska high schools start cranking out high school All-Americans the situation isn't going to improve.

Who in the hell Coach’s 20 years in one place other than Coach K and Boeheim?

Keep Rileyo_O

That’s crazy. He’d be in the NCAA in year two. This is not football.

I'm also going to say this: I think Nebraska needs to start cheating. We need to pay off the coaches of these elite select teams so they funnel players to Nebraska. This is exactly what schools like Kentucky do to win. It's well documented. Thinking elite programs do it "the right way" is naive.

If you're talking about Miles, he finished 10th and 4th in a 12-team conference his first two seasons. Since the conference went to 14 teams, he has finished 12th, 11th, 12th, 4th and 13th. But you're saying he should get 13 more years to build the program?

I’m fine with this hire for our basketball team. It’s not like we are going to get any big name basketball coach and any big time up and coming HC would be crazy to take our gig (hate to say it, but our basketball program seems to kill HC careers). He’s an NBA HC and done the NCAA HC route as well. He apparently knows what he’s doing. As long as he can compete in recruiting, I think we’d be in good shape. Well as good as our basketball team ever can be.
You don’t think Hoiberg is a big name basketball coach?

Reactions: huskerssalts

Pipe dream.

out of 353 division 1 basketball coaches, only 47 have been at their current school 10 years or more. Of those 47, 12 are from P5 plus Big East. 2 of those 12 are Boeheim and Coach K.

195 coaches have been at their current school 5 years or less

21 currently looking for coaches.

Football and basketball are completely different. It doesn’t take long to turn around a BB program, it really only takes a couple players. And LOL at calling Miles, Riley. Talk about a Freudian slip.

Last edited:
I read another article by this site. Hoiberg is making $5M @ Chicago. Why would he be interested @ $3.25M? Is he tired of the NBA? Likes the college atmosphere more?

No NBA team is offering him a head coaching gig at the moment so he's not choosing between college and the NBA. If he wants to be a head coach this season, it's down to NU or another college team.

Also, the $5M/yr he's still making from the Bulls is fully guaranteed if I understand correctly. So I believe he gets that money on top of whatever NU or someone else pays him.

All of that said, I do think he wants another crack at the NBA at some point. So the NBA will remain a threat to his longevity at NU or another school. But let's say we get the same four years he gave ISU. I'll gladly take that if he's able to move the program forward, which seems like a solid bet.

7 years is an eternity in the coaching business. You don't need 20 years to build a program. Name one great coach who didn't win anything in his first 7 Years at a program.

If someone told you when we hired Mires in 2012 that he wouldn't win a single NCAA tournament game in the next 7 years, would you have been happy with that?

Find one person that agrees with you. Even Miles knows he's had enough time. My dog that was born the year Miles was hired has gray hair, a limp and takes joint medication.

Man, the Miles-Lovers will have some crazy backtracking to do if Fred gets hired and has the Skers in the dance by the second season and has them winning 20 games each year.

No NBA team is offering him a head coaching gig at the moment so he's not choosing between college and the NBA. If he wants to be a head coach this season, it's down to NU or another college team.

Also, the $5M/yr he's still making from the Bulls is fully guaranteed if I understand correctly. So I believe he gets that money on top of whatever NU or someone else pays him.

All of that said, I do think he wants another crack at the NBA at some point. So the NBA will remain a threat to his longevity at NU or another school. But let's say we get the same four years he gave ISU. I'll gladly take that if he's able to move the program forward, which seems like a solid bet.
I actually think he's had enough of trying to coach in the NBA. He did not do well trying to manage the egos of pro players. IF he could get control of roster decisions maybe he would do it, but IMO he hated the attitudes of some of his players and having to deal with what the GM gave him. Sometimes what you wish for isn't all that you thought it would be. He was a great team player when he played in the NBA. He was extremely frustrated by guys who weren't.

Man, the Miles-Lovers will have some crazy backtracking to do if Fred gets hired and has the Skers in the dance by the second season and has them winning 20 games each year.
Since you're a self proclaimed Illini fan, why are you so concerned about NU basketball? As a Miles supporter (and Callahan, initially Pelini, initially Sadler, and Solich, and Frost), I would be ecstatic if we could somehow hire Hoiberg. Miles will be fine. He'll get another good job. I enjoyed watching the offensive talent he brought in but if the powers that be pull the plug I'll understand and go whole hog on Hoiberg.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Since you're a self proclaimed Illini fan, why are you so concerned about NU basketball? As a Miles supporter (and Callahan, initially Pelini, initially Sadler, and Solich, and Frost), I would be ecstatic if we could somehow hire Hoiberg. Miles will be fine. He'll get another good job. I enjoyed watching the offensive talent he brought in but if the powers that be pull the plug I'll understand and go whole hog on Hoiberg.

Concerned? More like bored!
The Illini message boards are terrible right now because they are the worst team in college basketball.

I am jealous that NU is going to get Fred. It will be fun times for Husker Bball fans

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT