Hoiberg leading canidate

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by yunginsNU2, Mar 18, 2019.

1. JohnRossEwing

JohnRossEwing Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Bro...I get it...you are upset. As an Illini fan I am upset too.

But no one gives a **** about criminal records when the team is winning and I sure as **** don't care if a kid is not passing math. Neither do you...so stop.

2. Dr_Alan_Grant

Dr_Alan_Grant Walk On
    Expand Collapse

You are right. In an ideal world we would all care. The reality is most of us only care if the player gets caught and gets suspended etc. Or makes UNL look bad.

JohnRossEwing likes this.
  3. Husker Sledge

Husker Sledge Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Nebraska = :Cool: Smokin
    Iowa = :(Sick

4. schuele

schuele Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

If these trolls held a secret ballot on whether to trade PsychoFran for Hoiberg, Fran would come in third behind “other.”

5. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

lol, you scared.

LikeNebraska, TheNewNU and EATAFAT1 like this.
  6. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Hand. Other one probably busy thinking about Fran.

SOHusker11 and EATAFAT1 like this.
  7. PeliniTheCrutch

PeliniTheCrutch First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

GOOD! It’s about freaking time!

8. Larry Hagman's Liver

Larry Hagman's Liver Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

So if Hoiberg becomes our coach, and you don't think he will, but in case he actually does, you just wanted to make sure your sour grapes were already on file?

Duly noted.

9. NebChicago

NebChicago Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about the MSU transfers? Those kids just smoked weed and screwed each other’s girlfriends so the locker room in EL was toxic

10. TheNewNU

TheNewNU Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

I've been waiting too long to hear that about a rival when it comes to Nebrasketball.

red scowl likes this.
  11. huskerfan66

Expand Collapse

Ok I don't want to look it up. Busy. Heck of an excuse!! Someone please look up hoibergs record against iowA

12. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

My opinion, and while it will not be popular, I don't there has ever been a concerted effort by Nebraska to be successful at basketball.

I've read statements by Katz and other journalists say we should be happy with a coach like Miles. Katz is a Wisconsin product.

Their is no good reason Nebraska can't be a top 5 team in the B1G or more in some seasons. I don't believe major college sports are clean, and are as dirty as a dumpster.

We should at least spend the money for a good coach, and we should always beat Iowa.

13. 1 nu rugby

1 nu rugby Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

so, going to his sons spring football game was actually a cover for getting Tim his next gig at CAL?.........wow, this indicates serious upgrades in some of these new "meds" on the market, IMO

14. regoratsginrom

Expand Collapse

All college bball players smoke weed and screw each other's girlfriends. That's how it works. :)

EATAFAT1 likes this.
  15. Husker Todd

Husker Todd Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey Cuckeye!

[​IMG]

16. Razorhawk2

Razorhawk2 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

You change your mind SOHusker11 now you want Hoiberg? The thread I started 3 weeks ago you said NO! Oh...and I know “Iowa Sucks”.

17. huskerfan66

Expand Collapse

Katz is a putz. Of course they want us to be subpar

HuskerDana likes this.
  18. EATAFAT1

EATAFAT1 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Well, you're not wrong there.

19. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

4-1

huskerfan66 and stonesak like this.
  20. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

I agree Mr. Razor.

21. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

Well, quite a few on this board seem content with a mid major hire. That seems to align with Katz.

22. Razorhawk2

Razorhawk2 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn’t live in Iowa or Nebraska!
    They both suck!

23. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I’m fine with this hire for our basketball team. It’s not like we are going to get any big name basketball coach and any big time up and coming HC would be crazy to take our gig (hate to say it, but our basketball program seems to kill HC careers). He’s an NBA HC and done the NCAA HC route as well. He apparently knows what he’s doing. As long as he can compete in recruiting, I think we’d be in good shape. Well as good as our basketball team ever can be.

24. Razorhawk2

Razorhawk2 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Hoiberg is a big name basketball coach...he’ll get his fair share of good players.

25. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

You don’t think Hoiberg is a big name coach?? Why do you think he was a highly sought after NBA coach?? - because of what he accomplished at ISU. What big name basketball coach were you expecting - bill self or coach K?

26. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Weren't we seeing this type of "chatter"/ reports just over a year ago. Right before Frost was hired. I think it is pretty well a done deal as well. I just don't see him sticking around long.

TheNewNU likes this.
  27. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that’s why I said I’m game with this hire if it happens. Because WE won’t pull anyone else OF that caliber.

28. TheNewNU

TheNewNU Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it's reaching Frost levels, The only candidate being mentioned at all has been Hoiberg for the entire weekend and Hoiberg's name is not realistically been coming up in any other coaching searches. The only news about him is about him being connected to the Nebraska job. Even the local rags are reporting there are "advanced discussions" going on. It's going to happen. As far as him not sticking around, I have a feeling he will have a massive buy out to be hired by anyone else.

husker2612 likes this.
  29. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Well, we know one person for certain who has been in contact with Goodman and that is Tim Miles, who did a podcast with him-- an in-season coach doing a podcast about speculation of him getting fired. And we know that Bill Moos has had rumors leaking about about him from someone at NU with an axe to grind and certainly Miles and/or his staff fits in that category too. And then the constant complaining about a lack of support from the A.D. It would be a classless thing to do, but it wouldn't surprise me. Heck, Miles even talked about Hoiberg on that podcast if I recall.

30. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

We have some of the best facilities in the country. They will help to sell the program to very good recruits.

31. cidsports

cidsports Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Fred Hoiberg is respected first, as a player, by many Iowa basketball fans, I would suggest. Further, I would say the post-death of Iowa basketball player Chris Street, plays into many fans reasoning and respect.

I noticed a comment earlier of Fred Hoiberg recruiting heavy in Omaha vs. Greg McDermott would be a possibility?

That would be an interesting tidbit. He didn't recruit Iowa heavy. Maybe, Omaha would be different now?

Dana Altman recruited Iowa more than Nebraska, back during his tenure. Of course, Iowa had ex-UCLA coach Steve Alford for some of that period.

Hoiberg did lean on transfers at Iowa State. Yes, there were some transfers, with academic or off the field issues.

Some of that can be part of leaning on transfers, in some cases.

Dan Gable was a great hire for Iowa. Cael Sanderson was a great hire for Penn State. The idea of Hoiberg back at college level would be intriguing and many note the past perceptions that he prefers the pro game.

How was his grandfather as a head coach at Nebraska back in the day?

Interesting storyline.

Razorhawk2 likes this.
  32. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

Here's an article about Hoiberg from 2015 with insights into his style of play. With his emphasis on fast-paced offense, it sounds like we landed the bball equivalent of Frost.

How Fred Hoiberg became too big for Iowa State
    With the Chicago Bulls chasing after the Iowa State coach, his storied career in Ames might finally be over.

Fred Hoiberg is Iowa State basketball. He grew up in Ames, starred for the team in the early '90s and returned as head coach to lead the program out of its biggest NCAA Tournament drought in two decades. But after five years of helping his hometown school turn into one of college basketball's most exciting upstarts, Hoiberg may have finally outgrown his pond.

At the moment, Iowa State is stuck in a holding pattern, caught in the middle of a seemingly petty, bitter feud between the Chicago Bulls front office and head coach Tom Thibodeau. Thibodeau has the second-highest winning percentage among active coaches and has elevated the Bulls to an annual contender in the Eastern Conference, but it's no secret management is ready for a change.

It's also no secret the man at the top of Chicago's wish list is Hoiberg.

Rumors started circulating around the All-Star break: If Thibodeau couldn't lead the Bulls to the NBA Finals, his time in Chicago was likely over. Hoiberg's name was tied to the franchise from the start. It's not a coincidence.

The Bulls first formed their Iowa State connection 16 years ago when then GM Jerry Krause handpicked ISU coach Tim Floyd to succeed Phil Jackson and transition the Bulls out of the Michael Jordan era. When Floyd was hired, Chicago also brought along his assistant coach, Gar Forman.

Forman is now the GM in Chicago, but he's always had one eye on Ames. Three months before the Bulls hired Thibodeau in the summer of 2010, Hoiberg was hired at Iowa State. He was previously working in the Minnesota Timberwolves front office, where former president of basketball operations David Kahn said Hoiberg was "on track to become president of an NBA team."

Hoiberg had no head coaching experience at the time, but he was already a legend in Ames. He turned down a Nebraska football scholarship at the height of the Tom Osborne era to play basketball for his hometown school. He left as the program's third-leading scorer after taking the Cyclones to the NCAA Tournament three times. He had his jersey retired two years after graduation.

Before Hoiberg arrived, Iowa State basketball was at its low point. The Cyclones had finished with a losing record in each of the previous three seasons under coach Greg McDermott, who heard whispers about his job security and took an offer from Creighton. In its first season under Hoiberg, ISU got back to .500. During his second year is when Hoiberg really started to show what type of coach he could be.

The star of the 2012 team was forward Royce White, a gifted but troubled transfer from Minnesota. He led the Cyclones to a 23-11 campaign, a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a win over UConn once there. The addition of White started a trend Hoiberg has followed throughout his tenure at ISU: Instead of competing against bigger programs for top high school recruits, Hoiberg has always been willing to take a chance on a transfer, even if there are red flags off the court.

With White, Iowa State had the No. 24 offense in college basketball, per KenPom. It was a drastic change from the McDermott era, when the Cyclones averaged an offensive finish of No. 185 in the country.

Hoiberg had given Iowa State an identity. It would play as fast any team in the country, fire three-pointers at will and put an emphasis on meaningful off-the-ball motion. The Cyclones were also always undersized, never having a legitimate center before last season when Marquette transfer Jameel McKay finally provided a shot blocker inside. That meant ISU's defense was always inferior to its offense, but no one was going to argue with the exciting brand of ball Hoiberg's teams were playing.

As the years went on, the transfers kept coming in and the offense continued to rise up rankings. In 2013, Utah transfer Will Clyburn and Michigan State transfer Korie Lucious powered a team that finished with the No. 6 offense in the country. The next year, Marshall transfer DeAndre Kane and Big 12 Player of the Year Melvin Ejim brought the team to the Sweet 16 with, once again, the No. 6 offense in the country.

The addition of McKay at midseason last year meant Iowa State finally looked like it had its most balanced team. The defense rose to No. 71, up from No. 133 two years earlier. The talented but troubled transfer was UNLV combo guard Bryce Dejean-Jones. Many people believed Iowa State had the pieces for a Final Four run.

If there's any hesitation to leave Iowa State for Hoiberg, it's because of the way last season ended. The Cyclones were upset as a No. 3 seed by UAB, a middling Conference USA team no one thought could win an NCAA Tournament game. Iowa State was dominated on the glass -- UAB had a 19-9 offensive rebound advantage -- and a powerful offense was held to just 0.86 points per possession.

Iowa State will have another preseason top-10 team next season, but the writing for Hoiberg's future seems to be on the wall. School AD Jamie Pollard said Hoiberg expressed his long-term goal was coaching in the NBA from the moment he was hired at Iowa State. After turning down the Timberwolves job last year and meeting with the Cavaliers and Warriors about their vacancies, it seems like the pull of the Bulls job might be too much to reject.

In Hoiberg, the Bulls see something like the anti-Thibodeau. His teams play the type of fast, free-flowing basketball that's in style at the moment. Instead of grinding down his players during the regular season, Hoiberg is known as a players coach. Sometimes he might take it too far: Last season, five Iowa State players were arrested for either drugs or alcohol.

The Bulls will bet that an organizational culture that values character will take care of any off-court issue. It seems like they're also willing to bet a new voice can get Chicago past its usual hump of a first- or second-round playoff exit. In a perfect world, Hoiberg could have a similar affect on the Bulls as Steve Kerr had on the Warriors after replacing Mark Jackson.

Even as Hoiberg's teams have made it past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament just once in five years, his time at Iowa State speaks for itself. The Cyclones will survive, but it won't be easy. At Iowa State, no one just replaces Fred Hoiberg.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...te-fred-hoiberg-chicago-bulls-coaching-rumors

EATAFAT1 likes this.
  33. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

Another article from 2015 before Hoiberg brought the Bulls to PBA for an exhibition game.

Hoiberg relives his Lincoln ties

Fred Hoiberg, born in Lincoln, was 2 years old when his father received his doctorate in sociology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

At that point, Eric Hoiberg had job offers to be a sociology professor at Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, and Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.

“I’m forever grateful he picked the right one,” Fred Hoiberg said with a grin.

Hoiberg grew up in Ames and enjoyed a decorated basketball career at Iowa State, where he earned the famous nickname "The Mayor."

But what if Hoiberg had grown up in Lincoln?

“It’s hard to say,” Hoiberg said. “But when I got recruited by Tom Osborne, that was pretty cool.”

Hoiberg, entering his first season as head coach of the Chicago Bulls, relived his connections to Lincoln on Friday, hours before his team played the first NBA exhibition game in Lincoln in 20 years.

“I grew up a huge Nebraska football fan. I loved watching the games,” Hoiberg said. “Tom Osborne was a larger-than-life figure. Growing up, being a Husker fan, I went to a lot of games.”

And although Osborne never made it to Ames to recruit Hoiberg, an accomplished quarterback at Ames High School, he did make calls.

“I don’t know if it was legal,” Hoiberg said, “but I did get a call from the tunnel when they were going out on the field one time. That was awesome.

“But those were the Tommie Frazier years. I really think that had I come here to play football, they would’ve turned me into a 250-pound tight end.”

Hoiberg played in Lincoln at the Devaney Sports Center, but Friday was his first time inside Pinnacle Bank Arena, which is beginning its third season of basketball.

“Playing here (today) and seeing Eric Piatkowski’s name up in the rafters — he was one of the hardest guys I ever had to guard — it’s an unbelievable facility,” Hoiberg said. “To see where this basketball program has gone, and when you have facilities likes this … it should be great for the future of Nebraska basketball.”

It’s a future in which Hoiberg has some interest. His grandfather, Jerry Bush, coached the Nebraska basketball team from 1954-63. He died when Hoiberg was only 3.

“Just in talking to people who knew him, he sounded a lot like my coach, Johnny Orr, just the way he could command a room, and a great storyteller, a great sense of humor,” Hoiberg said. “It would’ve been great to see that. His signature win was when he beat Wilt Chamberlain, and they honored that team here last year.”

https://journalstar.com/sports/a/ba...cle_b193fe7c-423a-5108-a276-b61d23bc4ce2.html

dinglefritz and EATAFAT1 like this.
  34. huskerfan66

Expand Collapse

Kind of what I figured. Iowa's toast

dinglefritz, yunginsNU2 and Baxter48 like this.
  35. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Let’s first sign him as our Coach before we start going any further owning teams and Sweet 16 appearances..Winking

huskerfan66 likes this.
  36. WC_'sker

WC_'sker Junior
    Expand Collapse

We know coach fwan would never recruit someone with a criminal record. Anthony Hubbard says "hey."

schuele likes this.
  37. FormerlyCyberCy

Expand Collapse

The hypocrisy of hawk fans is comical. Remember this guy?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Pierce
    Fred gave some kids who had made stupid mistakes second chances. None of them were bad young men or bad teammates.

If he goes to NU, they will immediately be regular NCAA participants, the tournament losing streak will end, and their fans will love the guy. Fun style of ball.

He won’t be chasing referees down after losses. Great ambassador of his and my alma mater. Pure class.

My guess is he’s done recruiting 5 star kids that end up at UNLV with a handler landing a job or a pocket full of cash. That soured him on recruiting. He’ll go after the 4 star kids who get to the NBA after four years. Players love him and recruiting won’t be an issue. He has 5 players from one team in the NBA.

117 FormerlyCyberCy, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    dsmalls3, Swiv3D, koolhusker and 6 others like this.
  38. huskerfan66

Expand Collapse

Agreed

TwoDog likes this.
  39. cornhustler

cornhustler Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

That is Damon Benning

40. JaySker402

JaySker402 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone halfway wanting Butler to win, just so we can move on from this madness?

I mean, Im going to cheer for Neb (and for the Jays tonight), dont get me wrong, but wont be "sad" if they lose.

TheNewNU and Dysfunctional Vet like this.