ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have another Joe Burrow situation brewing??

I mean they are very similar. Now if Flores signs with The OSU, then sits for a few years and decides to transfer. Then we ignore his overtures. And he ends up at LSU. From there he ends up having a decent year, but in his second year lights it up and brings Brian Kelly a natty.

Then he gets drafted to the Bengals. Gets hut his first year, but recovers and has an outstanding second year. And ends up taking the Bengals to the SB.

I mean, really they are very similar. Just a few things fall your way and you will have a great comparison.

sometimes I wonder where we would be now if Joe would've worn red, I know it would not have been to his benefit but maybe he lifts us out of the dumpster fire and into respectablility.

I hate that Flores doesn't have an NU offer.

there is zero good reason for it. literally zero.

all of the excuses/responses to this will be filled with bad reasons, most prominent surely to be 'we already have our guy' or 'Whipple hasn't had time to see him'. those are piss poor reasons to steer clear of a homegrown talent.

our current commit is very small and very raw, having played his high school football in a lacrosse state. he's the definition of a project.

a snippet for those who don't have Athletic access:

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound junior is speeding toward status as the most coveted high school quarterback out of Nebraska since Eric Crouch, the Heisman Trophy winner, 26 years ago.

this statement is true & insanely frustrating

...Flores has not talked recently with the Huskers, who took a pledge in February from Massachusetts QB William Watson III.

The Gretna quarterback turned down an invite to a Nebraska Junior Day this month to take an unofficial visit to Kansas.

just the kind of exemplary work we've come to expect from North Stadium!

a snippet for those who don't have Athletic access:

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound junior is speeding toward status as the most coveted high school quarterback out of Nebraska since Eric Crouch, the Heisman Trophy winner, 26 years ago.

this statement is true & insanely frustrating
Whens the last time we had a Power 5 QB prospect? Didnt the kid from Papio play for the Bears for a few years after he went to Idaho? Tavarius Bender played for K State but I believe he made a stop at IWCC first.

Unfortunately he wouldn't have looked any better than Martinez with our worse than worse shit show OLines especially this last year.
worst O Line in the NFL, took a record amount of sacks, still ended up 2 minutes from a Super Bowl title

posts like this make one wonder if your head has ever managed to escape the clutches of your ass

In talking with Ohio State quarterbacks coach Corey Dennis, Flores said the Buckeyes like his footwork.

“He could tell from the tape that I had the ability to read defenses,” Flores said. He thought from watching the film that I should be rated higher as a quarterback.”

Now it's starting to make sense as to why we chose Watson, who runs fast, and have shunned Flores - the ability to read defenses definitely isn't something Frost values in his QBs

...Flores has not talked recently with the Huskers, who took a pledge in February from Massachusetts QB William Watson III.

The Gretna quarterback turned down an invite to a Nebraska Junior Day this month to take an unofficial visit to Kansas.

just the kind of exemplary work we've come to expect from North Stadium!
This excerpt doesn't really place all the blame on the coaching staff. If he wanted to go to Nebraska wouldn't he attend Nebraska's Junior Day instead of taking an unofficial visit to Kansas?

worst O Line in the NFL, took a record amount of sacks, still ended up 2 minutes from a Super Bowl title

posts like this make one wonder if your head has ever managed to escape the clutches of your
Our OL was far worse than theirs

he went where he felt he was wanted, which is clearly not here. that is entirely on the staff.
If the coaching staff invites a kid and he goes on an unofficial visit (which you can do almost any other time) to Kansas instead of my scheduled Junior Day, then maybe they are the ones who don't feel wanted. Either way it doesn't really matter to me and your mind is already made up so it's not really worth arguing about.

he went where he felt he was wanted, which is clearly not here. that is entirely on the staff.
It’s still hard for me to believe that SF had zero interest in Flores…That isn’t like SF turning down the states top high school QB in years when he clearly has Division one potential.. ..

Reactions: king_kong_
I’m pretty sure the (media) record over past couple years shows that Flores really wanted Nebraska to look at him, but we were very late to the party to even communicate with him…. not offer, simply communicate with a clear local talent. That’s called “sleeping at the wheel.”

Then we finally made contact, wanted to keep evaluating him, he visited a few times, but then we cooled and cut off that communication.
Shortly after, he wins the State Championship and P5 offers start rolling in, and we look silly for basically shunning him from the start.

While I prefer we offer him, I won’t argue coaches may have their reasons.
However, my trust in our coaches’ assessments has been wavering.

As much as you don’t want to use a scholarship just to prevent a PR catastrophe, if Flores were to find success somewhere else, it will live in infamy how we F’d it up (x2 after Burrow), particularly if we don’t see success from our young QBs sticking around long enough to prove they were worth passing on Flores.

My preference would have been to at least show a good faith effort to bring him on and see if he can do something over risking that success elswhere.

While we can speculate about “red flags,” one would think at least a few other schools would have done some due diligence on their end also.

They basically said on 1620 that Frost has allowed Whipple to hand pick his QBs. Whipple offered the kid he has a close relationship with back east and flirting with Flores at this point could cause problems.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I’m pretty sure the (media) record over past couple years shows that Flores really wanted Nebraska to look at him, but we were very late to the party to even communicate with him…. not offer, simply communicate with a clear local talent. That’s called “sleeping at the wheel.”

Then we finally made contact, wanted to keep evaluating him, he visited a few times, but then we cooled and cut off that communication.
Shortly after, he wins the State Championship and P5 offers start rolling in, and we look silly for basically shunning him from the start.

While I prefer we offer him, I won’t argue coaches may have their reasons.
However, my trust in our coaches’ assessments has been wavering.
You would have thought after the state title game SF would have been impressed to at least make contact and show interest.. This is the part that is a the head scratcher…

They basically said on 1620 that Frost has allowed Whipple to hand pick his QBs. Whipple offered the kid he has a close relationship with back east and flirting with Flores at this point could cause problems.
I understand that but Whipple was at Pitt at the time… Why didn’t SF make a pitch after that game?

You would have thought after the state title game SF would have been impressed to at least make contact and show interest.. This is the part that is a the head scratcher…
Very true, but even the previous year as a sophomore he was showcasing skills that were drawing attention from everyone but our staff.

I may be in the “blame Mario” camp on this one, but Ruud was also our local talent guy right?

Whipple got here too late and surely had plenty to do beyond fix any local recruiting mishaps when that ship was already kinda sailing.

What’s interesting to me is that Whipple had a relationship with the kid since the 6th grade, while we failed to notice one of the most talented local QBs until he was a junior in HS, then seemingly barely paid any mind.

I mean they are very similar. Now if Flores signs with The OSU, then sits for a few years and decides to transfer. Then we ignore his overtures. And he ends up at LSU. From there he ends up having a decent year, but in his second year lights it up and brings Brian Kelly a natty.

Then he gets drafted to the Bengals. Gets hut his first year, but recovers and has an outstanding second year. And ends up taking the Bengals to the SB.

I mean, really they are very similar. Just a few things fall your way and you will have a great comparison.
Orgeron. Kelly wasn't at LSU showing his sweet moves yet.

Reactions: tjlSker90
The most piss poor excuse I could’ve ever imagined.

Laughable, especially when the kid’s family is within broadcast range.

If I was Flores, I would tell frost to F off, too. @HominidHusker is right - this is gross negligence.

So incredibly disappointing.

Signed,
Every Nebraska Fan except @WHCSC for some reason

If I was Flores, I would tell frost to F off, too. @HominidHusker is right - this is gross negligence.

Signed,
I guarantee you the family has paid attention to the treatment received from Nebraska.

Signed,
Should the OC who’s job is on the line not pick which QB to recruit?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Should the OC who’s job is on the line not pick which QB to recruit?
whose*

and, no, I don't. I especially don't when Whipple will be long gone by the time the teeny tiny kid from the non-football state even fits into his uniform, much less makes an impact on the field.

and I especially especially don't when it means burning bridges with the best quarterback our proud state has produced in more than a quarter century.

I see a forest where you apparently only see trees. this is not just a '23 issue. if the best quarterback prospect in the state doesn't even sniff a scholarship for obviously non-football reasons while simultaneously receiving interest from the best program in the conference (& beats us by 50 every time we play), people pay pretty close attention.

the only thing that would make sense to me at this point is if the Flores family told frost to stick it where the sun don't shine but is covered in opponent kick marks.

Reactions: scarletred
I'll add this, as well. according to a HuskerOnline poll, only 78% of 150 prep players said they're Husker fans. of those, only 52 said Nebraska is the place they most wanted an offer from.

those numbers continue to trend down when you basically tell them don't even bother while simultaneously finishing much closer to last than first in the division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT