ADVERTISEMENT

Next Steps?

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
So the important thing is where does the University go from here? I don't know what the Regents have been doing behind the scenes but I would suggest this, JMO:

1 - Appoint two search committees (if not already done). One for President/Chancellor candidate selection and another for AD candidate selection. The committee members need to represent the stakeholders impacted by the decisions and not be comprised of some Regent subset.

2 - Committees to hire professional search firms to identify groups of candidates and to make a recommendation to the search committees. (Yes, in the scheme of things, money spent with professional search firms who have better access to the pool of potential candidates IMO is money well spent and should speed up the process. Getting the decisions right is the most important thing, not the money spent on the process.)

3 - The two search committees to evaluate the recommendations from the search firms and make specific hiring recommendations to the Regents for final approval (hopefully mostly a rubberstamp if the search committees did good work).

Maybe this is the process being used and that seems fairly simple. BUT obviously something has been broken in the past because it's taking the Regents way too long to get the situation settled.

P.S. And there should always be contingency plans for succession if someone leaves. Shouldn't be caught flat footed waiting for surprises, that's poor planning.

Or just ask Rhule who he wants as the AD and get it over with.
I assume that remark is in jest, but no one person should make the decision alone and that doesn't solve the President/Chancellor openings. The President/Chancellor/AD need to be a unified team.

So the important thing is where does the University go from here? I don't know what the Regents have been doing behind the scenes but I would suggest this, JMO:

1 - Appoint two search committees (if not already done). One for President/Chancellor candidate selection and another for AD candidate selection. The committee members need to represent the stakeholders impacted by the decisions and not be comprised of some Regent subset.

2 - Committees to hire professional search firms to identify groups of candidates and to make a recommendation to the search committees. (Yes, in the scheme of things, money spent with professional search firms who have better access to the pool of potential candidates IMO is money well spent and should speed up the process. Getting the decisions right is the most important thing, not the money spent on the process.)

3 - The two search committees to evaluate the recommendations from the search firms and make specific hiring recommendations to the Regents for final approval (hopefully mostly a rubberstamp if the search committees did good work).

Maybe this is the process being used and that seems fairly simple. BUT obviously something has been broken in the past because it's taking the Regents way too long to get the situation settled.

P.S. And there should always be contingency plans for succession if someone leaves. Shouldn't be caught flat footed waiting for surprises, that's poor planning.
Listened to podcast interview between krvns Jason Jorgensen and regent Kenney from Amherst. He said they're closer to hiring a president this time than they were when they hired Carter.

Also said he was totally taken by surprise Alberts resignation and that they would be quickly starting national search for AD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT