ADVERTISEMENT

CTB

donahues17

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 5, 2005
Ive always despised him as the most over rated DB in Husker History. He hasnt done much this year either. 1 Int that was wiped out by a penalty wasnt his fault so Ill credit him for that. But it seems he screws up more than he helps. He got toasted on NWs only TD and has screwed a couple punts this season. Someone give me a reason to give this guy a break and not wonder why he plays so much.

• Haha
Reactions: IM4NUalways
He'll be fine. He has been trying to do too much and it's ended up backfiring on him. He just needs to do his job and let the game come to him. Defense is solid so no need to gamble out there.

If you watched Northwestern's CBs Saturday you should be thanking your lucky stars that we have CTB. Those NW CBs were giving me Lamar flashbacks with their unwillingness to get off blocks and get involved in the run game.

Despising him is a little strong, but I’ve been saying he’s overrated for a couple years now. He’s made some athletic interceptions that boost his perceived value.

Reactions: drubendall
Someone give me a reason to give this guy a break and not wonder why he plays so much.
Because Chinander has earned the general assumption that he knows more than you and if he thinks CTB is a starter, then he is. I see cornerback as a position like hitting in baseball, you're going to fail a lot and everyone sees when you do.

Isn't "despise" kind of a strong word?

he's trying too hard to get INTs. The fact of the matter is that the best DBs don't even get balls thrown their way often enough to get a lot of INTs. He's a good, not great player.
Yep, he clearly jumped the route trying for an INT on their TD. Little juke left his jock on the ground.

my opinion of him is well known by regulars here.

he did, however, make a great play last week on a screen where he fought through a defender and made the tackle. excellent individual effort. he's got a big heart & plays hard, that's for sure.

he's just a couple steps slow, which causes him to gamble and makes us have to scheme to help him out over the top. when he doesn't have help, he compensates & can't get to short/intermediate routes. pretty sure tackler, though, and I'd rather him allow 8-12 yard completions than deep balls.

our entire secondary's lack of speed/man coverage ability is my #1 concern going into this Saturday's game. front 7 needs to show up big time so we can keep our safeties deep. if not, we are extremely susceptible over the top, and good teams (UM, ohiost) will exploit it.

NW went right at him a lot on Saturday, so their opinion of him likely lines up with mine.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It appears to me that we likely depend on CB's to support on the run more than some teams. That is both good and bad as they can get caught in between. Notice how quickly our CB's get involved in run support, you can sometimes pay the price in the backend.

Ive always despised him as the most over rated DB in Husker History. He hasnt done much this year either. 1 Int that was wiped out by a penalty wasnt his fault so Ill credit him for that. But it seems he screws up more than he helps. He got toasted on NWs only TD and has screwed a couple punts this season. Someone give me a reason to give this guy a break and not wonder why he plays so much.
His play in the quick horizontal throw to blow up block and make the tackle was a thing of football beauty

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I think he's doing fine. I think we tried to put too much on his plate earlier in the year. Against Illinois, we tried to use him like a safety in run support and he got burned badly. He's been playing better lately though despite giving up the NW touchdown. I'm hoping he breaks out in the latter half of the season. He has the talent to be a great player, but we haven't seen that yet this year.

last year for him and just trying too hard. if just plays by the rules of the position he will just get better

It's kraxy how some on here nitpick the positions and coached that are our most talented....the secondary. Most talented coach and most talented position group on the team the last 2 seasons.

Did yall forget what they did to all those 5 stars at Oklahoma a couple weeks ago??! Our secondary has more put on it because the fact that out linebackers aren't fast laterally. That's why they are always looking in the backfield....they have too. They have more responsibility than any other unit on our D.

The measure of a great corner is how often teams throw to the player he is covering and even the announcers always say how teams don't like to throw at CTB. Our LB's are great straight line but don't have the best hips.

How many times have we seen our LB's whiff in space on a RB and he go 50 yards. If the LB doesn't hit the tight hole the only thing keeping him from going the distance is the DB's.

CTB is fine....just keep him off PR's....

ctb plays for the name in back instead of the name in front,tries for an interception instead of tackling,and when he tackles he doesnt grab on like jojo does, when he makes a play he celebrates too much (act like you've been there before) it is his last year and h'e's playing to get attention from the nfl, just passing thru nebraska and using it for a good paycheck, give me the homegrown players.

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Name the other big plays / TDs he has given up (on defense, not ST... we all know those blunders). I honestly think he was just playing tight and trying to do too much early in the year, but overall he has been pretty damn good on defense, especially in run support and playing the quick passes. Dude has blown up multiple quick throws by running through the blocking WR.

Name the other big plays / TDs he has given up (on defense, not ST... we all know those blunders). I honestly think he was just playing tight and trying to do too much early in the year, but overall he has been pretty damn good on defense, especially in run support and playing the quick passes. Dude has blown up multiple quick throws by running through the blocking WR.
Yeah, he is definitely not playin at quite the level as he was last year and I agree, I think most of it is he is just trying too hard.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
He gave up at least two huge run plays vs Illinois. He chose the wrong gap and the Illinois RB was running for awhile. After that, Chinander started trusting him less in run support, which is probably a good thing.

ctb plays for the name in back instead of the name in front,tries for an interception instead of tackling,and when he tackles he doesnt grab on like jojo does, when he makes a play he celebrates too much (act like you've been there before) it is his last year and h'e's playing to get attention from the nfl, just passing thru nebraska and using it for a good paycheck, give me the homegrown players.
If you believe all of that, I believe you are full of $hit.

He'll be fine. He has been trying to do too much and it's ended up backfiring on him. He just needs to do his job and let the game come to him. Defense is solid so no need to gamble out there.

If you watched Northwestern's CBs Saturday you should be thanking your lucky stars that we have CTB. Those NW CBs were giving me Lamar flashbacks with their unwillingness to get off blocks and get involved in the run game.

*** Corner Cam Taylor-Britt racked up 11 tackles and three pass breakups against Michigan. It was one of his best games as a Husker. “Football comes to you, you don’t go make things happen. Doesn’t work that way,” Frost said. “You have to be where you’re supposed to be, doing what you’re supposed to do. And if you’re a good player, the plays happen. I thought he did a better job of that last week.”

He's been good. No question he has been pressing. The Northwestern touchdown was the last time I saw it. He blitzed the play before, almost got home, Newsome gave up a pass. Than the next play, they went right at Cam for a wide open touchdown. His eyes were watching the run.

Reactions: TheBeav815
CTB had two NFL-quality pass breakups against Michigan. Perfect form on both. Probably helped his draft status just with that game.

Reactions: bigredhunter
CTB had two NFL-quality pass breakups against Michigan. Perfect form on both. Probably helped his draft status just with that game.

The one area CTB could improve a lot is by working on intercepting some of those passes that he bats down. He likes to go up backwards almost off his heel and bat the ball away with 1 hand. That's good but he could be intercepting a few of those passes if he wanted to. He certainly gets himself into good position to do so.

Any of you who have played Corner at any level know how tough it is to defend your island. Everyone gets beat at times regardless of how good you are.

Cam has played well at Left Corner against stiff competition. This thread should not exist, especially after the strong performance he had against Michigan.

Any of you who have played Corner at any level know how tough it is to defend your island. Everyone gets beat at times regardless of how good you are.

Cam has played well at Left Corner against stiff competition. This thread should not exist, especially after the strong performance he had against Michigan.
This. I have never seen a lock down, great tackling run support and cover all three areas CB not get burned at some time. In this D, the CBs are asked to do a lot as you can see by their run support, deep coverage and flat responsibility. That is why we are susceptible to the sideline pass.

Never the less, CTB has good speed and more importantly, excellent ball skills. You really do not see many CBs turn to see the ball AND make a play on it. We haven't had that at Nebraska for a while. I think the kid is special and we will miss him.

I would add that anyone who thinks he is out for himself just doesn't understand what this Chins D asks our secondary to do.

Reactions: bigredhunter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT