ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy

I will brush up your history. People were no less disgusted at Tom Osborne after those annual losses than they were last Saturday. The losses were usually by a huge Oklahoma play because of a fundamental breakdown or turnover much like 2023 Minnesota. Does this help or are you still convinced of Nebraska domination over everyone until Riley and Frost? Would you like same help with Orange Bowl losses? I remember a Sporting News cover and article in 1994 that was about scrapping the entire bowl system because no one wanted to watch Tom Osborne's Nebraska Canhuskers get beat down by another Florida team. It is amazing how some people disdain the present because of rose colored glasses from a short time period 26 years ago.
There is nothing similar to a tom osborne led top ten team losing in national title deciding games against perennial top five teams while winning 9-10 games a year in an 11 game season and current unranked nebraska teams getting boatraced and losing to terrible minnesota and colorado teams.
NOTHING.

I will brush up your history. People were no less disgusted at Tom Osborne after those annual losses than they were last Saturday. The losses were usually by a huge Oklahoma play because of a fundamental breakdown or turnover much like 2023 Minnesota. Does this help or are you still convinced of Nebraska domination over everyone until Riley and Frost? Would you like same help with Orange Bowl losses? I remember a Sporting News cover and article in 1994 that was about scrapping the entire bowl system because no one wanted to watch Tom Osborne's Nebraska Canhuskers get beat down by another Florida team. It is amazing how some people disdain the present because of rose colored glasses from a short time period 26 years ago.
it was miserable for me at Altus when we got our ass kicked

Reactions: dragonraider1
Not only did Switzer never hang half a hundred on Osborne (the most he ever scored was 28) or blow Nebraska out in Lincoln such that the stadium “emptied out early”

But TOs worse home loss was by 15 pts. In 1990 against Colorado and 91 vs Washington. In both those games Nebraska led going into the 4th quarter.

So again the stadium never “emptied out early” against Oklahoma or any opponent because we were losing at home under TO

It’s rich this guy is giving us an “observation from history” that is complete fiction. Makes one wonder if they are a Husker fan at all or another troll
Your point is well taken with one minor correction -- Switzer scored 35 on TO in 1975. It was only 10-7 late in the third quarter when Jimmy Burrow (yep, Joe's dad) dropped a punt, giving OU an easy score, and Ferragamo suddenly became a turnover machine

We had a functional athletic department and a talented team then. Mostly happy fans.

We now have an athletic department with ZERO desire to win, an absolute Embarrassment of a team, and are being asked for $450M for… ??

At least we have a good VB team, right?

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Your point is well taken with one minor correction -- Switzer scored 35 on TO in 1975. It was only 10-7 late in the third quarter when Jimmy Burrow (yep, Joe's dad) dropped a punt, giving OU an easy score, and Ferragamo suddenly became a turnover machine
Yes - the post I was replying to stated that when Switzer hung half a hundred on TO the stadium emptied out early like it did against Michigan - ie Neb home games
I was only referencing games in Lincoln of which Switzer’s highest output was 28
Switzer highest score was 38 against us in Norman (1977)

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yes - the post I was replying to stated that Switzer hung half a hundred on TO and the stadium emptied out early - Neb home games
I was only referencing games in Lincoln of which Switzer’s highest output was 28
Switzer highest score was 38 against us in Norman
I stand corrected. Well done calling out the blatantly false "half a hundred" claim

You guys/gals are missing the most important part of this “Apathy.” This goes back to the main problem we’ve had since oh, the last two coaching hires, “TURNOVER.”

There’s been turnover with the coaching staff causing no stability and or cohesiveness with the head coach on down to the coordinators.

There has also been Turnovers with the players/recruits since HC Mike Riley through to HC Scott Frost, and prior to but my main focus starts with the “Calibraska” movement.

Big star recruits (4-5*) have chose other schools at the last minute prior to signing day causing us to leave spots empty, scrambling to find a player, or even having a backup plan that provides no depth because they are considered “a project” (2-3 year development).

There’s been big star recruits who have come to Nebraska on “promises” and “dreams” only to get frustrated for whatever, wanting change, and then not getting it and transferring/leaving.

There’s been big star recruits who have come here only to get shown up in practice by a walk-on causing frustration and then causing the player wanting to transfer.

There’s been big star recruits who have been injured and never fully recover or finish their careers riding the bench/transfer/focusing on school, etc…

Turnover, turnovers, turnovers… There’s no depth, no stability. Just think how screwed we were prior to the start of the year with players leaving to the NFL, a player getting injured in a car accident (can’t remember name) Betts leaving “weeks” before our first game, AG getting arrested, having injuries on the O-line… What about all the injuries now with hardly any development in the two-three deep.

Everyone wants to blame coaching, no one is focusing on the player turnover in the last 10 + years?!?!
That is why we lost the way we did to Michigan, and why we struggle in the west.

Our true recruiting and development has sucked. You can’t blame coaches or coaching for this when so many circumstances play a role into players ever setting spikes to turf.

Let’s face it, you try to make every player happy nowadays..it’s impossible. Players don’t want to put the “Team First” anymore as well. So what do we get from all of this, Apathy.

We have to give Rhule a chance to get his players here and let him develop them. And for the record, Rhule was not my first choice.

it was miserable for me at Altus when we got our ass kicked
I remember very well. When I settled up with a black Sgt. in a neighboring shop I told him we got beat. He said, Dragon, you didn't get beat, you got Selmonized. 50 years later I don't know how many people here know why that was and still is funny. I'm sure that you do. Even the Texas boys had a way of finding us Nebraska boys in the chowhall or downtown after a Husker loss.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I remember very well. When I settled up with a black Sgt. in a neighboring shop I told him we got beat. He said, Dragon, you didn't get beat, you got Selmonized. 50 years later I don't know how many people here know why that was and still is funny. I'm sure that you do. Even the Texas boys had a way of finding us Nebraska boys in the chowhall or downtown after a Husker loss.
Early i worked in acct and finance and the place had a ton of civilians an i talked alot of shit, but NU couldnt back it up so i got nailed, rightly so. the year Rodgers got pushed out of bounds nd came bak in was a killer .

Dewey, Lucious and Leroy the biggest stud along with Derland Moore, George Cumby just destroyed us.

Early i worked in acct and finance and the place had a ton of civilians an i talked alot of shit, but NU couldnt back it up so i got nailed, rightly so. the year Rodgers got pushed out of bounds nd came bak in was a killer .

Dewey, Lucious and Leroy the biggest stud along with Derland Moore, George Cumby just destroyed us.
My job was picking up electronic test equip for calibration in a lab. I drove a "bread truck" to all of the repair shops in the now defunct 4th Mobile Com Group, some everyday but all every month so everybody knew the "Cornhusker". I was still 18, had a Stripe on my sleeves and wouldn't take shit off of anybody including E-6 and up. My attitude was that if you piss on this E-2s tires on account of Nebraska football then those stripes don't cover your ass... they did though and more than a few times I would come back to the office and my Sgt. would say, Dragon, JQ (SMSGT) wants to talk to you. JQ: AMN Raider, you just can't keep locking horns with them ole boys.
Of course we talked trash, Easy. We were the Defending Champions. Missus Selmon could be the founder of the NFL Gold Star Mothers Club, she raised some damn good football players.

There is nothing similar to a tom osborne led top ten team losing in national title deciding games against perennial top five teams while winning 9-10 games a year in an 11 game season and current unranked nebraska teams getting boatraced and losing to terrible minnesota and colorado teams.
NOTHING.
I will offer another another opinion. During most of Tom Osborne's career Nebraska depending on the one "quality" non conference team. Tom usually started out every season at least 5-0. Kansas St, Kansas, Iowa St and Colorado had very little interest in spending money for winning football teams. Zou and OK Lt. were not much different. NE and OU usually met undefeated on Thanksgiving and Oklahoma usually handed our ass back to us on a platter. Back then we thought we were just as good as everyone because of 9 wins. But we were not. Hurt? Damn right it did. NOTHING can compare? You must be too young to know the absolute despair of being so close to greatness we thought we had earned only to be whipped up again against Oklahoma or in a Bowl game. Nebraska has not had a winning season in 6 years so I fail to understand why the 2023 losses can be more traumatic than the humiliations of yesterday for desire today of glory because of assumed entitlements from the past. You want this team to get better, then support it.

Last edited:
I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

Anyone else thinking this?
I don’t really care about apathy…🤔

I will offer another another opinion. During most of Tom Osborne's career Nebraska depending on the one "quality" non conference team. Tom usually started out every season at least 5-0. Kansas St, Kansas, Iowa St and Colorado had very little interest in spending money for winning football teams. Zou and OK Lt. were not much different. NE and OU usually met undefeated on Thanksgiving and Oklahoma usually handed our ass back to us on a platter. Back then we thought we were just as good as everyone because of 9 wins. But we were not. Hurt? Damn right it did. NOTHING can compare? You must be too young to know the absolute despair of being so close to greatness we thought we had earned only to be whipped up again against Oklahoma or in a Bowl game. Nebraska has not had a winning season in 6 years so I fail to understand why the 2023 losses can be more traumatic than the humiliations of yesterday for desire today of glory because of assumed entitlements from the past. You want this team to get better, then support it.
I read this and wholeheartedly agreed. Then I read who posted it. Can I unlike it? Just kidding! :) You are absolutely spot on.

I read this and wholeheartedly agreed. Then I read who posted it. Can I unlike it? Just kidding! :) You are absolutely spot on.
Interesting. Truth is always true even from people you do not like or agree with. It is a message that resonates beyond this board into life in general. Let us not forget that. God Bless America.

Reactions: huskercabby
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT