ADVERTISEMENT

Why DR comes to Nebraska

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
We’re nervous about DR playing for us until the ink is dry. The McCord and Kaelin situations are unsettling, but for different reasons.

I don’t think we’ll ever know all of the details regarding McCord, other than he’s looking for guarantees that we are unwilling to make. I suspect the money was fine.

Kaelin, on the other hand, was a major tell. He knows more than we do and it seems he knows will be facing competition from one of the highest rated quarterbacks coming out of high school with the same number of years of eligibility. It’s a bit of a blow to his pride because he has put in a lot of work for Nebraska and he was laying the groundwork for a future here until thrown this curveball. Maybe he still wears the red for a couple years and then things are different and he can still transfer out I don’t know. If he leaves, I don’t fault the kid. But I hope he stays because injuries are a part of football.

With regard to DR, I think he’s coming to visit, partly to meet the coaches but mostly to sort out the details financially. He’s gonna make a bunch of money and his odds of playing early here are fantastic, especially if he watched any of our games last year. These are two considerations. I also think he has a genuine affinity for Nebraska in how much his family name means to this state and university.

I refuse to believe his old man is going to let him use Nebraska to leverage more out of Georgia. That would be deeply embarrassing to uncle Don. Not gonna happen. Georgia obviously makes sense, but they are not devastated by losing a highschooler, even a five star. Their room is stacked and will continue to be so. They are negotiating from a position of strength. Who knows, maybe they are not fulfilling some promises to the Raiola family.

My personal belief is Coach Rhule is a worker and a closer. He dialed into the right frequency with this kid and got the deal done.

Landing Raiola will essentially be a men in black memory eraser for every fan with regards to what we saw during the last month of the season (a season Rhule called “fun”)

Him being good will cure all that’s ailed us for 20 years

It’s pretty binary at this point

Off-season remains the best time to be an NU fan regardless

Landing Raiola will essentially be a men in black memory eraser for every fan with regards to what we saw during the last month of the season (a season Rhule called “fun”)

Him being good will cure all that’s ailed us for 20 years

It’s pretty binary at this point

Off-season remains the best time to be an NU fan regardless
The biggest thing I got out of this last season that’s been missing for years is that the team played with want to. The defense executed pretty well, and that should only improve with more reps and more infusion of talent.

The offense played with some toughness and urgency too, but they simply could not execute at times. Partly that’s due to a new system, and some talent gaps, and some of it was just WTF from players and bad coaching decisions.

Obviously want DR but being a parent this whole situation is crazy to me...you move to Georgia who is the CFB king right now, and you still end up in Lincoln. That is after being committed to Ohio St prior. 3 high schools in 4 years in two states. New world of football I guess.

Obviously want DR but being a parent this whole situation is crazy to me...you move to Georgia who is the CFB king right now, and you still end up in Lincoln. That is after being committed to Ohio St prior. 3 high schools in 4 years in two states. New world of football I guess.
As someone in education I am not shocked by all the moving around that kids do and for a lot of different reasons. Now, usually it is just 1 transfer, usually after 9th grade but still.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The commitment flip is not unusual. Amazingly Ryan Day is rumored to be on the hot seat and he has trouble relating to his players. Georgia has an area 4 star QB on board to go with all the talent already there. Lots of good reasons to be N.

The commitment flip is not unusual. Amazingly Ryan Day is rumored to be on the hot seat and he has trouble relating to his players. Georgia has an area 4 star QB on board to go with all the talent already there. Lots of good reasons to be N.
It's normal to move from Arizona to Georgia for high school football? And then not even go there. Lol stop it.

Looks can be deceiving but Day comes off as such a jerk.

We'll see IF Raiola actually comes to NU and then IF he actually sticks and doesn't transfer. I love his abilities but honestly his transfer history and commitment/decommitment record is not so good. Maybe having his Uncle on the team as a coach will bring some stability.

Reactions: Redblood23
I was always impressed with DK's interviewing skills. He was such a terrific representative (and hopefully will still be). I wish I was that bright. I think he's got a bright future.....but I also thought Sims was going to have a great year for NU.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
We’re nervous about DR playing for us until the ink is dry. The McCord and Kaelin situations are unsettling, but for different reasons.

I don’t think we’ll ever know all of the details regarding McCord, other than he’s looking for guarantees that we are unwilling to make. I suspect the money was fine.

Kaelin, on the other hand, was a major tell. He knows more than we do and it seems he knows will be facing competition from one of the highest rated quarterbacks coming out of high school with the same number of years of eligibility. It’s a bit of a blow to his pride because he has put in a lot of work for Nebraska and he was laying the groundwork for a future here until thrown this curveball. Maybe he still wears the red for a couple years and then things are different and he can still transfer out I don’t know. If he leaves, I don’t fault the kid. But I hope he stays because injuries are a part of football.

With regard to DR, I think he’s coming to visit, partly to meet the coaches but mostly to sort out the details financially. He’s gonna make a bunch of money and his odds of playing early here are fantastic, especially if he watched any of our games last year. These are two considerations. I also think he has a genuine affinity for Nebraska in how much his family name means to this state and university.

I refuse to believe his old man is going to let him use Nebraska to leverage more out of Georgia. That would be deeply embarrassing to uncle Don. Not gonna happen. Georgia obviously makes sense, but they are not devastated by losing a highschooler, even a five star. Their room is stacked and will continue to be so. They are negotiating from a position of strength. Who knows, maybe they are not fulfilling some promises to the Raiola family.

My personal belief is Coach Rhule is a worker and a closer. He dialed into the right frequency with this kid and got the deal done.
See the bolded. Spot on.

There are so many moving parts about this chaotic recruitment of star players it makes your head spin. I'm in the group that believes Dylan wants to be at Nebraska he just needs to have the fine details ironed out this week. It has to be tough for Dylan right now because he's in high school in Georgia trying to finish it up. I can't imagine the heat on him to stay committed to Ga.

It's normal to move from Arizona to Georgia for high school football? And then not even go there. Lol stop it.
That’s not what he said. You’re putting words in his mouth. I agree with you that Dylan’s flipping is excessive and not a sign of great maturity. If he ends up at Nebraska it will be a huge win! With the addition of the OL today, and DRaiola, Nebraska would jump to 17th in the Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings.

That’s not what he said. You’re putting words in his mouth. I agree with you that Dylan’s flipping is excessive and not a sign of great maturity. If he ends up at Nebraska it will be a huge win! With the addition of the OL today, and DRaiola, Nebraska would jump to 17th in the Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings.
Sucks we lost two 4 stars in Lacy and Carlon J. Maybe Dylan can help replace both with new studs.

Sucks we lost two 4 stars in Lacy and Carlon J. Maybe Dylan can help replace both with new studs.
Those really hurt as we identified their talent before anyone else, then all the other big schools came calling. That tells me though our staff as a whole is good at identifying talent and that's obviously a good time. Now we need to show the improvement on field so we will start winning more of those recruiting battles.

We'll see IF Raiola actually comes to NU and then IF he actually sticks and doesn't transfer. I love his abilities but honestly his transfer history and commitment/decommitment record is not so good. Maybe having his Uncle on the team as a coach will bring some stability.
I’m not worried about his transferring habit. He’s just a young kid with tons of talent who desperately wants to make the right decision for himself. I believe he’ll have a very good career at Nebraska.

His dad isn’t a normal dad. They have the means to move as many times as they want. Transferring from high school to high school isn’t that big of a deal for some high profile kids. The kid says he wants to go to Georgia so Dom figures they want to be where it’s easy to make his games. They had nothing to hold them in AZ and this past summer was unbearable out there.

There are so many moving parts about this chaotic recruitment of star players it makes your head spin. I'm in the group that believes Dylan wants to be at Nebraska he just needs to have the fine details ironed out this week. It has to be tough for Dylan right now because he's in high school in Georgia trying to finish it up. I can't imagine the heat on him to stay committed to Ga.
You would think but apparently Buford hates the University of Georgia and they have a hard time pulling players out of there.

Reactions: king_kong_
His dad isn’t a normal dad. They have the means to move as many times as they want. Transferring from high school to high school isn’t that big of a deal for some high profile kids. The kid says he wants to go to Georgia so Dom figures they want to be where it’s easy to make his games. They had nothing to hold them in AZ and this past summer was unbearable out there.
That would be insane to be wealthy enough to actually move every time you didn't like the weather. I mean, who doesn't ponder it every once in a while, but if someone actually did it? Wild.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Or, and just hear me out here, everyone’s still just shopping around. Because that’s what any logical person would do in today’s world of recruiting/transferring…

Hey, we really really want you. But yeah, we also might want someone else.

Oh really? I might want someone else too.

Oh you do? Well we might have a few people who want us more than you do.

Oh…well, I might have a few people who want me more than you do.

And on and on it goes. Welcome to the new NIL world we are living in.

That would be insane to be wealthy enough to actually move every time you didn't like the weather. I mean, who doesn't ponder it every once in a while, but if someone actually did it? Wild.
A buddy of mine’s wife likes to golf. Ten years ago she flew out to Scottsdale on her own and bought a million dollar house. Then a few years ago she bought another one so she had more room to entertain …. That’s in addition to their lake home and condo in the Haymarket. Dom has that kind of money.

A buddy of mine’s wife likes to golf. Ten years ago she flew out to Scottsdale on her own and bought a million dollar house. Then a few years ago she bought another one so she had more room to entertain …. That’s in addition to their lake home and condo in the Haymarket. Dom has that kind of money.
You gotta stop with these humble brags. Your friend is rich, we get it.

You gotta stop with these humble brags. Your friend is rich, we get it.
It’s not a brag. Knowing people with money isn’t a big deal. It’s just an illustration of how different the lives of some people are. Dom is one of those guys. I’ve done okay but I can’t do what he can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT