ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

They asked him what our chances were of landing Lewis. Williams told them "almost zero." He said Lewis was "shopping himself around" and not really all that interested in what "Nebraska had to offer him"
Man just pouring salt on an open wound. It's like finding out that you have cancer and then told that your dog died.

Btw I know you're just the messager @Pennsyhusker so even though it's not great news, thank for sharing.

Send him to rehab for 30 days. Let him work out his issues, then he'll be back in time for the ducks.

You people who are calling for his head or a year suspension have to be the most intelligent people I've met. Seriously, guy has a problem. You help him. Let's get coach Williams help. Firing or suspending him won't help him. The world loves a comeback.

And I'm highly disappointed in the freaking Lincoln Bars. One of my buddies is a professor at Arkansas and tells me, Bret Bielama gets silly drunk at the bars almost every night of the week on Dixon street in Fayetteville, the bar tenders all know not to ever let him drive. Uber is always lined up for him or some sober driver is always ready. My brother in law is a professor @ Alabama, and half that staff including Lane Kiffen, is always hammered out at bars. There bars make sure he does not drive. Freaking Barry's should do the same. Only reason that bar has made it long enough is because of our football program. Not saying Coach isn't to blame but come on man. Take care of the thing that's kept you in business all these years
So it is your opinion that grown-ass men need babysitters, and should not be responsible for their actions because they coach a sport. Or is there any other nonsense you can throw around?

Let's face it out program was just punched with a Huge Big Black eye.

How we come out of this will fall on what Riley what he decides to do replacing a Coach that was well liked and respected up to this point.

What happens next first SF getting killed in a terrible auto accident now our Receivers Coach get's his 3 DUI.:confused:

I can and will judge someone who has a 3rd dui, caught because they got in an accident, and did it while operating a vehicle at a agravated level.
But hey... at least he didn't kill anybody, so there's that!

That's not surprising coming from the guy who loves to judge and personally attack others on a message board.

Reactions: wkato
It so entertaining reading everyone's post. While troubling its not the end of Nebraska Football. This program has to be bigger than one person. Believe it or not, Williams didn't invent the forward pass. There are dozens of Coaches of his caliber. My guess is he will be suspended the 2016-2017 season with strict guidelines to meet diring that time. If he can meet the demands than he can be reinstated. Fail, then he will be relieved of his duties. Frankly, i think he will have trouble not being "the man" and will likely bolt for someone that will give him a chance.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
So it is your opinion that grown-ass men need babysitters, and should not be responsible for their actions because they coach a sport. Or is there any other nonsense you can throw around?
I don't think anybody is saying Williams shouldn't take responsibility. Just how is that responsibility going to be taken? Different opinions obviously and not all are wrong one way or another.

And yes, sometimes grown adults need babysitting and even so they can continue to be productive citizens and good role models. Sometimes that babysitting is what they need.

Not saying that will be the case with Williams, but I'm also not ruling out that he can accomplish something good either.

That's not surprising coming from the guy who loves to judge and personally attack others on a message board.
As a mod, you really should refrain from calling out others or holding grudges. But hey, whatever you need to do.

I don't think anybody is saying Williams shouldn't take responsibility. Just how is that responsibility going to be taken? Different opinions obviously and not all are wrong one way or another.

And yes, sometimes grown adults need babysitting and even so they can continue to be productive citizens and good role models. Sometimes that babysitting is what they need.

Not saying that will be the case with Williams, but I'm also not ruling out that he can accomplish something good either.
I have always been pretty consistent on this issue. If it happens more than once, it is my belief they don't understand the severity of their actions. I don't care at all if he got s-faced every night. That changes when he gets behind the wheel. But the whole "needs help" is a built-in excuse to me. He made the decision to keep doing it. Him and him alone.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Can the program survive this? I mean do you think the NCAA gets involved? Is this something where we could face serious sanctions?

The more I think about it he will be let go. They can't risk a 4th offense.
It appears its been ten years; that is probably a big factor. Especially with the jurisdiction issue also; but a lot of it is probably policy , as has been mentioned..... If there is discretion; he may end up in a diversion program. The demands would be tight; so wishing him the best outcome. And many other addictions have been offered chances ; and not been immediately destroyed, when they needed help most. He could be a great spokesman and turn this around.

Can the program survive this? I mean do you think the NCAA gets involved? Is this something where we could face serious sanctions?
Of course the program will "survive". But I guess making jokes about a discussion of a pretty serious incident by one of our top assistants is the thing to do.

It doesn't matter if the DUI's were 2 years or 10 years ago. Coach Riley can only do one thing and that's relieve him of his duties tomorrow. I'm fairly certain when he was hired he was told the conditions of a 3rd DUI would be termination.

It doesn't matter if the DUI's were 2 years or 10 years ago. Coach Riley can only do one thing and that's relieve him of his duties tomorrow. I'm fairly certain when he was hired he was told the conditions of a 3rd DUI would be termination.

Not certain this is Riley's call.

I practice quite a bit of DUI defense so I figured I'd add a few points. First, Nebraska does accept out of state convictions for purposes of sentencing enhancement as long as the defendant was represented at the prior trial or plea. It happens all of the time. Second, the look back period in Nebraska is 15 years. You may not agree a conviction 10 or 12 years ago should be relevant today, but ultimately our legislature has determined otherwise.

Finally, if Coach Williams is looking at a true third offense .15+, he's facing at a mandatory sixty days in county jail even if he's deemed a suitable candidate for probation. Even if he pleaded to a third offense .08+ he'd still face 30 days in jail if put on probation. Some form of - at least - outpatient treatment would likely be ordered as a condition of probation. His counsel has to work to get it reduced to at least a second offense low BAC just to minimize jail time (10 days or 240 hours community service with probation).
How does Nebraska know the accused has convictions in other states? Do all states participate in some kind of data base?

15 years look back is a long time. It was 3 years in California, then in the late 90's they changed it to 10. I know that because someone I know got a second after 10 years and it was technically a "first offense", but the DA did something so the prior put in place an "enhancement", like I think more fine and maybe he got more time in mandatory classes. The only people stylin are the ones with no licenses, they get deported with no fine or jail and come back the next week, but CA is trying to avoid that by issuing licenses to illegal aliens.

Not certain this is Riley's call.
It might not his call, but it would look best for the program that he takes the mic and is the stand up guy. He can't afford to lose the conservative fan base especially with some of stuff that transpired from Oregon State. He needs to come across that players and coaches are held up to a higher standard than the average Joe.

I have always been pretty consistent on this issue. If it happens more than once, it is my belief they don't understand the severity of their actions. I don't care at all if he got s-faced every night. That changes when he gets behind the wheel. But the whole "needs help" is a built-in excuse to me. He made the decision to keep doing it. Him and him alone.
I agree with you being consistent, I was meaning to question that. All I'm saying is that it's possible that you may be wrong about Williams if he's allowed to stay.

Not saying you are wrong, just that it's a possibility.

For me, it'd be nice to know what the stipulations were for Williams, if any concerning alcohol, when he was first hired on. If there were and he clearly broke those, then for sure let him go and if he is allowed to stay it'd be tough for me to stand behind that decision.

If no stipulations were set, I'd understand why they'd let him go still. But would also understand why they didn't.

Let's face it out program was just punched with a Huge Big Black eye.

How we come out of this will fall on what Riley what he decides to do replacing a Coach that was well liked and respected up to this point.

What happens next first SF getting killed in a terrible auto accident now our Receivers Coach get's his 3 DUI.:confused:
We don't need to be playing the "woe is us" routine. First of all, Sam Foltz's death and this are not even on the same planet in terms of importance and how they impact the program, so I don't think they should even be mentioned together. Second of all, as to Keith Williams' situation, there are other programs out there dealing with worse stuff than that. We'll get through this all just fine-not that there may not be some negative consequences in the long run, but we don't need to be feeling sorry for ourselves.

Just read it. Call me stupid, but am I missing something? Don't see where it says this is a felony

I could swear the mobile version I read on my phone listed it. Anyway, my department policies:

We do count convictions in other states, within 15 years.

If a person has two prior convictions (at any BAC level) and the third offense is has a chemical test (legal breath test) of .15, that is a class IIIA Felony. Redlaw mentions in a post in page 4 about his potential sentence even if he gets probation, which matches the numbers in the bottom of page 3.

http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/nohs/pdf/al3dwi.pdf

Some of the articles I read had wording that he was "being held until court on Monday" which would indicate he could not bond out. If he was facing all misdemeanors, he can not be held without bond. There are rare exceptions, but when facing a felony you can't bond out.

Crappy deal all the way around.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Just spoke to my nephew who just graduated UNL and is an honest stand-up kid. He says he and a bunch of other guys were at Barry's last night and were drinking with Williams. Joe Lewis was there too but not drinking. Bunch of football players there too. He says Williams did not seem drunk at all. He was drinking but wasn't, as they say, shit faced.

After the players and Lewis left my nephew and his friends kept talking to Williams. They asked him what our chances were of landing Lewis. Williams told them "almost zero." He said Lewis was "shopping himself around" and not really all that interested in what "Nebraska had to offer him"

That's what I was wondering. Where was he before this? Ugh.

He needs to come across that players and coaches are held up to a higher standard than the average Joe.
I'm confused by this statement. Why should college football players be held to higher standards than any other college student or any other person in Nebraska, USA, the world, etc? Same for the coaches, they shouldn't be held to a higher standard than me. Nor should I be held to a higher standard then them.

He can't afford to lose the conservative fan base especially with some of stuff that transpired from Oregon State.
If Tom can keep Phillips, Washington, Peter, etc without losing the 'conservative fan base' I'm pretty certain Riley can keep Williams.

Also what 'stuff' at Oregon State? Brenda Tracy and the sexual assault incident? That has been resolved by Mike Riley, Ms. Tracy towards Mike Riley, both universities and I'm pretty certain 99.9% of the fan base.

Thanks. I will also add that my nephew said just a minute or so to me in another call that what Williams meant by Lewis "shopping himself around" wasn't exactly kosher with the NCAA if you get my drift
Got your drift, but when you say,
interested in what "Nebraska had to offer him"
does that mean we're not offering enough? Time to pony up Smokin

I practice quite a bit of DUI defense so I figured I'd add a few points. First, Nebraska does accept out of state convictions for purposes of sentencing enhancement as long as the defendant was represented at the prior trial or plea. It happens all of the time. Second, the look back period in Nebraska is 15 years. You may not agree a conviction 10 or 12 years ago should be relevant today, but ultimately our legislature has determined otherwise.

Finally, if Coach Williams is looking at a true third offense .15+, he's facing at a mandatory sixty days in county jail even if he's deemed a suitable candidate for probation. Even if he pleaded to a third offense .08+ he'd still face 30 days in jail if put on probation. Some form of - at least - outpatient treatment would likely be ordered as a condition of probation. His counsel has to work to get it reduced to at least a second offense low BAC just to minimize jail time (10 days or 240 hours community service with probation).

Just curious if you practice in Lancaster county? If so, what do you think of his chances?

I am surprised the University approved his hire in the first place, with 2 prior DUIs on his record. Especially after some of the losers Pelini had on staff.

Though it probably explains why such a talented coach was at a program like Tulane.
Exactly, did coach Riley know this? Or worse, not know this?

How does Nebraska know the accused has convictions in other states? Do all states participate in some kind of data base?

15 years look back is a long time. It was 3 years in California, then in the late 90's they changed it to 10. I know that because someone I know got a second after 10 years and it was technically a "first offense", but the DA did something so the prior put in place an "enhancement", like I think more fine and maybe he got more time in mandatory classes. The only people stylin are the ones with no licenses, they get deported with no fine or jail and come back the next week, but CA is trying to avoid that by issuing licenses to illegal aliens.

Most, if not all, law enforcement and prosecutor offices have access to in and out-of-state arrest and conviction records of some sort (NCJIS system in Nebraska). I believe, but I could be wrong, that a national database is maintained in part by the FBI. It's not uncommon for out-of-state convictions not to appear on a client's criminal history when defense counsel receives it. This is especially common with DUI's, where a prior may have been prosecuted by a municipality under a city ordinance rather than by a state prosecutor under state statute. However, oftentimes those municipal convictions are not constitutionally applicable for enhancement purposes anyway as municipal court judges have a tendency to be more cavalier with an accused's right to counsel.

Most, if not all, law enforcement and prosecutor offices have access to in and out-of-state arrest and conviction records of some sort (NCJIS system in Nebraska). I believe, but I could be wrong, that a national database is maintained in part by the FBI. It's not uncommon for out-of-state convictions not to appear on a client's criminal history when defense counsel receives it. This is especially common with DUI's, where a prior may have been prosecuted by a municipality under a city ordinance rather than by a state prosecutor under state statute. However, oftentimes those municipal convictions are not constitutionally applicable for enhancement purposes anyway as municipal court judges have a tendency to be more cavalier with an accused's right to counsel.
Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT