ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

I'm confused by this statement. Why should college football players be held to higher standards than any other college student or any other person in Nebraska, USA, the world, etc? Same for the coaches, they shouldn't be held to a higher standard than me. Nor should I be held to a higher standard then them.

If Tom can keep Phillips, Washington, Peter, etc without losing the 'conservative fan base' I'm pretty certain Riley can keep Williams.

Also what 'stuff' at Oregon State? Brenda Tracy and the sexual assault incident? That has been resolved by Mike Riley, Ms. Tracy towards Mike Riley, both universities and I'm pretty certain 99.9% of the fan base.
Should the President of the United States be held to a higher standard? How about Congress, or Judges?

Luke 12:48

Is this decision even in the HC's hands? I would think with a 3rd it would not be and it would go to the AD or higher.

I think if MR wants him fired, it is his call. If MR wants to keep him (even with heavy stipulations and a suspension pending treatment) but the Big Wigs want him gone, then it is out of his hands.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Just curious if you practice in Lancaster county? If so, what do you think of his chances?

I practice in the central part of the state. Thus, I can't predict how the prosecutors or court will treat this one (obviously, it's an unusual case due to the publicity it will receive anyway).

Undoubtedly, the optics for the program are really bad considering this accident occurred so soon after losing a player to a car accident. That said, I could foresee a scenario where Riley suspends Williams for the season, he enters inpatient treatment for a 28-45ish days, organizes some free camps for community service, and pleads to something like a second offense .08+. Obviously, this is just speculation, without knowing any of the aggravating or mitigating circumstances of the case. Every case is a little bit different and "justice" differs quite a bit depending on the specific man or woman sitting in the high chair and wearing the robe.

I'm confused by this statement. Why should college football players be held to higher standards than any other college student or any other person in Nebraska, USA, the world, etc? Same for the coaches, they shouldn't be held to a higher standard than me. Nor should I be held to a higher standard then them.

If Tom can keep Phillips, Washington, Peter, etc without losing the 'conservative fan base' I'm pretty certain Riley can keep Williams.

Also what 'stuff' at Oregon State? Brenda Tracy and the sexual assault incident? That has been resolved by Mike Riley, Ms. Tracy towards Mike Riley, both universities and I'm pretty certain 99.9% of the fan base.
If you don't get that athletes, coaches, teachers, administrators are held to a higher standard by society than you live in a different community than mine. We have high school athletes who are suspended for a season for a 2nd drinking or smoking violation. We had a coach receive one DWI and involved in an accident and he resigned (forced). I'm pretty sure the contractor isn't letting his good employee go for a DUI. The National Media will grab this and run with it if they don't fire him. It will be devastating to recruiting if they don't. Parents sending their kids to a coach with 3 DUI's?? Not to mention other colleges using that against the Huskers w/ negative recruiting tactics. The Brenda Tracy story might be resolved, but don't think for a second that it won't get brought up if they slap Williams with a 60 day suspension.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Undoubtedly, the optics for the program are really bad considering this accident occurred so soon after losing a player to a car accident.
Stop trying to compare the two. We are talking about a one-car accident that killed two people where no alcohol was involved vs. a minor rear-end incident with alcohol involved that resulted in no injuries. Only somebody who is desperate to find a connection with the two would find any connection.

Last edited:
My guess is Williams gets fired. If this were a first offense, I could see him staying but it's his 3rd. 1 DUI is a mistake, 3 DUI's is a habit. Riley will pull out his Rolodex and make a good hire.

Reactions: Rocket98
Send him to rehab for 30 days. Let him work out his issues, then he'll be back in time for the ducks.

You people who are calling for his head or a year suspension have to be the most intelligent people I've met. Seriously, guy has a problem. You help him. Let's get coach Williams help. Firing or suspending him won't help him. The world loves a comeback.

And I'm highly disappointed in the freaking Lincoln Bars. One of my buddies is a professor at Arkansas and tells me, Bret Bielama gets silly drunk at the bars almost every night of the week on Dixon street in Fayetteville, the bar tenders all know not to ever let him drive. Uber is always lined up for him or some sober driver is always ready. My brother in law is a professor @ Alabama, and half that staff including Lane Kiffen, is always hammered out at bars. There bars make sure he does not drive. Freaking Barry's should do the same. Only reason that bar has made it long enough is because of our football program. Not saying Coach isn't to blame but come on man. Take care of the thing that's kept you in business all these years

You are delusional

Tough situation. The man obviously thinks it's ok to get in to a car and drive after he's had too many. Just a dumb decision. But I've made my share too.

If the administration decides to handle this some way besides outright firing him, they'll get a ton of criticism but I still think you give the man a chance at redemption. What that looks like, I don't know but get him some help.....if he wants it. If not, see ya later.

Ok, so now we know that Williams rear ended someone that night. Assuming his last stop was Barry's, then he drove all of three or four blocks, around 1:30 AM, on what must have been a 9th street with barely any other cars, and crashed. Perhaps he was texting while driving? Perhaps he was really drunk. Perhaps he spilled coffee on his lap? Who knows? But it sure as heck looks bad that you can't drive 3 blocks on a mostly deserted and wide one-way street without crashing

You can take the high ground and fire him, but you'll be coaching against him by next year. Personally, I say you keep him and get him help. If he repeats with any alcohol related incident, then you let him go.

Reactions: otismotis08
As a mod, you really should refrain from calling out others or holding grudges. But hey, whatever you need to do.

As a mod and a long time poster I'll call out whoever I want if it's warranted so don't worry about how I perform my job.

As for coach Dub, he is a great coach and probably the best recruiter we have had in the past 20 years. He is also a good man who made a mistake. His players love him and he has done great things for the kids he has mentored, so yea I'm going to stand by our coach and team instead of tear a man down and judge him.

You can take the high ground and fire him, but you'll be coaching against him by next year. Personally, I say you keep him and get him help. If he repeats with any alcohol related incident, then you let him go.
Depending on how much jail time he gets, I would keep him too but with all kinds of stipulations. I take DUI very seriously and so should the University/Riley. On top of that it sets a bad example for the players. But after he fulfills all the requirements of our justice system I think he should be retained. Just my opinion. I respect the opposite view as well. DUI is serious stuff

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

As a mod and a long time poster I'll call out whoever I want if it's warranted so don't worry about how I perform my job.

As for coach Dub, he is a great coach and probably the best recruiter we have had in the past 20 years. He is also a good man who made a mistake. His players love him and he has done great things for the kids he has mentored, so yea I'm going to stand by our coach and team instead of tear a man down and judge him.
Talk down all you want. Facts are facts. Nowhere did I say his players did not love him, or he was a bad recruiter. I don't know him personally. I like what he is doing at his job. But sometimes other things outweigh that.
You want to call me out for "starting fights". Lol. What you are really saying is you don't like my opinion, or how I call out obvious hypocrisy. You don't want questioned about how you do your "job"??? Like I said, stop with the grudge act. If your feelings are still hurt because of my opinion, maybe sit this one out. Or continue to single out and call out specific posters.

Talk down all you want. Facts are facts. Nowhere did I say his players did not love him, or he was a bad recruiter. I don't know him personally. I like what he is doing at his job. But sometimes other things outweigh that.
You want to call me out for "starting fights". Lol. What you are really saying is you don't like my opinion, or how I call out obvious hypocrisy. You don't want questioned about how you do your "job"??? Like I said, stop with the grudge act. If your feelings are still hurt because of my opinion, maybe sit this one out. Or continue to single out and call out specific posters.

It's the free board. Stop with the keyboard cowboy stuff. Also, your opinion to me doesn't matter one bit, what matters to me are posters that make our jobs harder by being abrasive and attacking others opinions. So please refrain from thinking you're special by getting singled out.

Stop trying to compare the two. We are talking about a one-car accident that killed two people where no alcohol was involved vs. a minor rear-end incident with alcohol involved that resulted in no injuries. Only somebody who is desperate to find a connection with the two would find any connection.

I don't believe that I'm "desperate to a find a connection with the two" incidents. I deal in this type of work and understand that accident A and B are likely not at all related legally or factually. Yet, that does not mean driver B's employer is not put in a more difficult spot by public pressure and sentiment, at least some of which is stemmed from the very recent, tragic, publicly felt sting of accident A.

We can disagree about whether that is fair or appropriate. I believe most would probably say that it's not. But the reality is what it is.

Reactions: HuskerO

I get your point after a first offense DUI, but anything after that is a different conversation IMO. Giving a person a second chance is one thing. However, should getting a third and fourth chance be allowed in today's college environment?

I do wonder if the administration knew about the priors. If not, why not? Even if he were allowed to stay, is he allowed to recruit off campus? If he gets a suspended license and/or jail time then he's unable to perform his job duties. This will be a tough one to justify keeping him IMO.

I hope that we give him every opportunity to turn this situation around. He's been highly successful is building strong relationships with young men in our program and on the recruiting trail. He has demonstrated his abilities to positively affect their lives and elevating their opportunities. Surround him with the help that he needs, while allowing him to continue the good work and positive influence with these young men.

It's the free board. Stop with the keyboard cowboy stuff. Also, your opinion to me doesn't matter one bit, what matters to me are posters that make our jobs harder by being abrasive and attacking others opinions. So please refrain from thinking you're special by getting singled out.
So it's ok for YOU and who you deem acceptable. If I wanted to "attack" someone it would be more than disagreeing with their opinion.. But somehow by your obvious grudge, you will not be able to control yourself.
Apparently I am special, being as I am the only one YOU (as a "mod") decided to single out. Hmmm... I am sure this has nothing to do with hard feelings over certain posters you are chummy with not being around anymore. At least this explains quite a bit of the past couple months here. Ok for people to make it personal (complete with actual threats) against myself, but when I respond I am the bad guy. Looks like we have it all out in the open now, huh?

Am I the only one curious if he played the "Do you know who I am card", and wondering if the cop was a football fan? I get the DUI's are serious business now, but so is Nebraska football.

I kid, mostly. To bad we aren't located in the SEC, cops in one of those towns would have been way more understanding. Again, I kid, mostly.

I'm a horrible person, I admit it. First thing I thought about, and continue to think about, is the football program. Pretty sure that isn't what I should be worried about first, but at least I'm honest about it.

Am I the only one curious if he played the "Do you know who I am card", and wondering if the cop was a football fan? I get the DUI's are serious business now, but so is Nebraska football.

I kid, mostly. To bad we aren't located in the SEC, cops in one of those towns would have been way more understanding. Again, I kid, mostly.

I'm a horrible person, I admit it. First thing I thought about, and continue to think about, is the football program. Pretty sure that isn't what I should be worried about first, but at least I'm honest about it.

The irony is he rear ended an Uber driver...

Reactions: SOHusker11

glad no one was injured ... but this is clearly about the football program - no need to apologize

the reason we are on 6 pages and counting is that people are concerned first and foremost about the football program

20 years ago they would have drove him home!

get him an apartment next to the stadium and a bike, I used to know folks with 10 plus dwi's back in the day where they just thru you in jail for the night. this is the first time he screwed up at NU, so 1 second chance is ok...just tell him no more sauce for a year and test for it. the bad thing is I though our d was becoming solid, with our new dl coach, our lb coach, and the cb coach screwing up has me a bit perturbed. almost as much as armstrong's turnover average. just when it seems we turn a corner, somebody does something dumb. but I guess we live in a world of fallen humans, so we go fourth from here wiser, and with more diligence.

Some things are bigger than recruiting & losing recruits. JMO He needs help and needs it right now. JMO but I would not let him coach this year. 3 months of rehab minimum, then go from there. He should never be allowed to have a driver's license.

I agree with this. I don't know university policies or obviously what will happen with this case, but I think a temporary suspension would be the way that I would go. Let the case play out. Rehab. Personally, I would rather see his story of redemption take place with Coach Riley than Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabu Sweeney or in the SEC.

If he is allowed to stay I'm not really going to care or be upset, just be kind of surprised. I think most Husker fans are just wondering what's going to happen with no real dog in the fight. What hasn't been brought up is how do you hold the athletes accountable if he's allowed to stay? Player A gets in trouble with the law and is booted or suspended but Coach W was allowed to stay after his 3rd DUI? Is that gonna go well with the team, parents, players involved, etc?
Of course it can be rationalized by saying "Coach W had to meet a bunch of check marks" but that's not going to matter in those moments.
One other thing...lets not pretend that anyone's entire reasoning for wanting to keep him isn't simply for the sake of the football teams success and his success as a recruiter. That's fine, but just keep that in mind next time we want to call out other schools for doing anything to win.

That's your opinion and you have the right to have it. You can make that opinion without insinuating our coaches did it 20 years ago and got away with it, when you don't know.
What we do know is that Bo's staff was notorious for this stuff and look how that turned out. While we have to wait for a court of law to find him guilty and he is still considered innocent, it doesn't look good.
"still considered innocent" You are right, but in my opinion that doesn't come into play as much in DUI cases as I think keys and license are forfeited after failing a breathalyzer.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
get him an apartment next to the stadium and a bike, I used to know folks with 10 plus dwi's back in the day where they just thru you in jail for the night. this is the first time he screwed up at NU, so 1 second chance is ok...just tell him no more sauce for a year and test for it. the bad thing is I though our d was becoming solid, with our new dl coach, our lb coach, and the cb coach screwing up has me a bit perturbed. almost as much as armstrong's turnover average. just when it seems we turn a corner, somebody does something dumb. but I guess we live in a world of fallen humans, so we go fourth from here wiser, and with more diligence.
how could he have been possibly hired in the first place? people are given 2nd chances but not 3rd and 4th chances. if he was a player he would not have been given a chance to be on the team initially and and players certainly wouldn't get 3rd or 4th opportunities.
so if he is kept they are treating him differently than anyone else would be treated.
and personally the coaches should be held to higher standard than anyone else.
they are supposed to be role models and he continues to make same mistakes.

Reactions: Rocket98
You didn't miss anything-there is no such thing stated in any article. He is pulling speculation completely out of thin air. This is somebody who hates Riley and Eichorst with a passion and is just hoping for any way for them to get in trouble.
It's impossible to hate Riley.

With that said I know if I were one of the top brass within the Nebraska system I would want to know if Riley and/or Eichorst had acted as facilitators knowing the guy has an alcohol problem.

Thanks. I will also add that my nephew said just a minute or so to me in another call that what Williams meant by Lewis "shopping himself around" wasn't exactly kosher with the NCAA if you get my drift

Yeah, that makes perfect sense with Lewis coming back for an extra visit with an assistant coach from HS. Something smelled fishy about that. Lewis may have to schedule a visit to Oxford or College Station to get what he's looking for.

Maybe the outcome will be somewhat determined by phone calls MR is making today.

I was thinking this morning that we would know nothing about this if Coach Williams was employed in Tallahassee, Florida. And if NU fires him, Williams very well could be working at FSU in a year or somewhere like that under certain stipulations wih his own personal chauffeur as part of his contract.

how could he have been possibly hired in the first place? people are given 2nd chances but not 3rd and 4th chances. if he was a player he would not have been given a chance to be on the team initially and and players certainly wouldn't get 3rd or 4th opportunities.
so if he is kept they are treating him differently than anyone else would be treated.
and personally the coaches should be held to higher standard than anyone else.
they are supposed to be role models and he continues to make same mistakes.
I have a hard time agreeing with you just on principle. Generally when you post something it is valueless and inflammatory.

With that said, you could have done better here. Do you remember Randy Gregory? How many chances was he given? Are you sure you want to say no 3rd or 4th chances for players? How about Christian Peter or LP? If we broadened the scope to other universities, yu better believe the top players are constantly given chances... As long as it can be covered up to a certain degree.

Now I'm not saying we should do nothing... Williams has made his bed and whatever Nebraska decides, he's gonna have to lie in that bed. But I am saying you could have done better here.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense with Lewis coming back for an extra visit with an assistant coach from HS. Something smelled fishy about that. Lewis may have to schedule a visit to Oxford or College Station to get what he's looking for.

perhaps these type of posts should be stricken ... they are very likely true, however, if I were the kid, parent, or coach reading any of this I would quickly put out a statement that my son or player had no interest in committing to a coach who was clearly drunk and then decided to drive while impaired .... and clearly state that the reason we didn't commit had nothing to do with looking for extra benefits

we aren't going to win any PR campaign as to why Lewis may have not committed in this situation

Reactions: MVLisHawk
Co-worker is claiming whatever radio station Sean Callahan is on stated the Uber driver asked to exchange insurance information with coach Williams and coach refused. Once coach refused, that's when he called LPD.

I didn't ask where Sean made this claim, if it was on the pay site or on air somewhere.

Last edited:
It's impossible to hate Riley.

With that said I know if I were one of the top brass within the Nebraska system I would want to know if Riley and/or Eichorst had acted as facilitators knowing the guy has an alcohol problem.
What are you fishing for? You've already stated speculation that the coaches may have drunk with him (which is hugely negligent to suggest such a thing without a shred of evidence) and now you are suggesting Riley and Eichorst may have been facilitators to Williams.

Whatever happens to Williams will be his own doing... Youre trying your hardest to blame Riley and Eichorst in this situation as well, and it's not a good look for you.

If you don't have an agenda against Riley and Eichorst, it sure seems like it with your posts in these threads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT